Places You Loved That No Longer Exist

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Places You Loved That No Longer Exist

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2013, 8:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Alderaan. It's a shame what happened to those people.
Old May 27, 2013, 8:30 pm

Tiger Stadium

Yankee Stadium I wasn't too bad, either.
Old May 27, 2013, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

elk mountain resort montrose CO - had a great stay

keefer vancouver shut down as hotel before i went
Old May 27, 2013, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Lum's, and the Ollieburger.

The Waikikian, Magoo's, Rainbow Books and the Varsity theater, all in Honolulu.

Charlie Williams Pinecrest Lodge in Athens, Ga.
Old May 28, 2013, 12:00 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Borders in Europe. May sound strange, but they made my childhood travels exciting. Names like Kiefersfelden, Waidhaus, Passau-Suben Autobahn, Brenner, Drewitz-Dreilinden, etc weren't just associated with long waits and encounters with old-fashioned bureaucracy, but also stood for the beginnings (or ends) of exciting adventures. (While we're at it, I miss individual currencies, too ... the simultaneously outdated and futuristic-looking Schilling notes, zero-tastic Lira, Francs printed on that flimsy yet oddly pleasant paper, the comfort emanated by a 1000 Mark note). Sweet memories!
Old May 28, 2013, 12:25 am

Programs: Costco Club
Rhodesia.
Old May 28, 2013, 2:21 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
The Hotel Bela Vista, Macau
Old May 28, 2013, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
Old Man of the Mountain.

Chris
Weren't you just a little bit let down though on how far away it was from the standard viewing location (presuming you didn't hike)? I definitely could have used some binoculars
Old May 28, 2013, 5:34 am

Bailey's, Kew Gardens.
Old May 28, 2013, 7:02 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum ; Hilton Gold; Hertz 5*, Delta DM. Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by roknroll
Alderaan. It's a shame what happened to those people.
best answer so far...such a tragedy.

I would throw Rumplemeyers out there...only went there once, when I was about 10 years old but I won't ever forget it. When I moved to NY it had closed, I was bummed.

http://www.thelmagazine.com/newyork/...nt?oid=1134758
Old May 28, 2013, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by jpdx
Borders in Europe. May sound strange, but they made my childhood travels exciting. Names like Kiefersfelden, Waidhaus, Passau-Suben Autobahn, Brenner, Drewitz-Dreilinden, etc weren't just associated with long waits and encounters with old-fashioned bureaucracy, but also stood for the beginnings (or ends) of exciting adventures. (While we're at it, I miss individual currencies, too ... the simultaneously outdated and futuristic-looking Schilling notes, zero-tastic Lira, Francs printed on that flimsy yet oddly pleasant paper, the comfort emanated by a 1000 Mark note). Sweet memories!
Yes to both border crossings and individual currencies. Thinking about those trips brings back good memories.
Old May 28, 2013, 7:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Renaissance Wailea

I'm sure Hyatt will do a fine job with the new property on that site but it won't be the same...
Old May 28, 2013, 8:30 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA 1.8 MM, DL, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold,
The Buddhas of Bamiyan (Pashto: د بامیان بوتان - "de bámiyán botán", Persian: بت های باميان‎ – but hay-e bamiyan) were two 6th century[1] monumental statues of standing buddha carved into the side of a cliff in the Bamyan valley in the Hazarajat region of central Afghanistan, 230 km (140 mi) northwest of Kabul at an altitude of 2,500 meters (8,202 ft). Built in 507 AD, (smaller), and 554 AD, (larger)[1] the statues represented the classic blended style of Gandhara art.[2]

The main bodies were hewn directly from the sandstone cliffs, but details were modeled in mud mixed with straw, coated with stucco. This coating, practically all of which wore away long ago, was painted to enhance the expressions of the faces, hands and folds of the robes; the larger one was painted carmine red and the smaller one was painted multiple colors.[3]

The lower parts of the statues' arms were constructed from the same mud-straw mix while supported on wooden armatures. It is believed that the upper parts of their faces were made from great wooden masks or casts. Rows of holes that can be seen in photographs were spaces that held wooden pegs that stabilized the outer stucco.

They were dynamited and destroyed in March 2001 by the Taliban, on orders from leader Mullah Mohammed Omar,[4] after the Taliban government declared that they were idols.[5] International opinion strongly condemned the destruction of the Buddhas, which was viewed as an example of the intolerance of the Taliban. Japan and Switzerland, among others, have pledged support for the rebuilding of the statues.[6]

Photojournalist David Adams filmed the Buddhas before their destruction for an episode of Journeys to the Ends of the Earth, a travel series for the Travel Channel.[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhas_of_Bamiyan

Last edited by MRKEY; May 29, 2013 at 7:07 pm Reason: I was very forutunate to to see them close up n 1974
Old May 28, 2013, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Lovethecabin
Yes to both border crossings and individual currencies. Thinking about those trips brings back good memories.
I just thought of one: a few years back, we left the EU to have dinner in Rovinj, Croatia. (Beautiful little town, by the way.) It did sort of have a bit of an adventurous feel to it: going from a place that didn't feel all that foreign (Slovenia feels quite Austrian in some parts, Italian in others) to one that felt extremely foreign to us at the time...just for dinner.

Adding to the feeling was the fact that the border crossing was literally a bridge over a small creek...Slovenians on one end, Croatians on the other. Very Cold War-looking setting.

We're roadtripping back through that same region this August, hopefully with a few hours in Rovinj on the agenda. By then, I believe Croatia will be part of the EU. No idea if those guard shacks on that bridge will still be there... (Not exactly sure what the timing is when a new country is integrated into the EU.)
Old May 28, 2013, 8:59 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
West Berlin before the wall came down. The city was electric, and the residents seemed to be living life to the fullest, on the presumption the WWIII could begin any day.

Visited again, 30 months after the border opened up, and the city had lost all of its appeal, and long time West residents had a clear antipathy toward those who used to live in the East.

This is just an observation about the old West Berlin city that no longer exists. The ability of those under communist control to take control of their life decisions, trumps IMO the loss of sense of community that used to exist in the Western zones.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.