Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Places You Loved That No Longer Exist

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2013, 9:05 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Craig6z
West Berlin before the wall came down. The city was electric, and the residents seemed to be living life to the fullest, on the presumption the WWIII could begin any day.
Never been to Seoul before, but perhaps you could still catch some of that vibe over there?
Old May 28, 2013, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Craig6z
West Berlin before the wall came down. The city was electric, and the residents seemed to be living life to the fullest, on the presumption the WWIII could begin any day.

Visited again, 30 months after the border opened up, and the city had lost all of its appeal, and long time West residents had a clear antipathy toward those who used to live in the East.

This is just an observation about the old West Berlin city that no longer exists. The ability of those under communist control to take control of their life decisions, trumps IMO the loss of sense of community that used to exist in the Western zones.
I had family that lived in West Berlin rather close to the wall. It felt very daring of me to walk by myself to wall and up an observation tower*** (for lack of a better word) and look over the wall. I was 13 yo or so at the time and I felt like a spy.

***Does anyone else remember these? In my family's neighborhood, there was a set of wooden stairs up to a large viewing platform where people could stand and look into East Berlin. I don't know who built or maintained it. It sat back from the street, meaning it didn't hang over the wall and it provided a clear view of the "other side."
Old May 28, 2013, 10:31 am

Programs: DL,EK
Lakeview Pizza in Kings Beach, CA (North shore of Lake Tahoe).

Best pizza ever.
Old May 28, 2013, 11:35 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Service Merchandise stores.

(wait, I think I'm playing this game wrong...)
Old May 28, 2013, 3:04 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Yallourn
Old May 28, 2013, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Las Vegas, before all the mega-resorts were built and the city outside of the Strip grew into a metropolis.

I used to love visiting as a little kid, even though much of it was off-limits to me. Now it's almost difficult to visualize the Strip is in the middle of the desert. It used be wide distances between each property.

I still like watching the '70s TV show, "Vega$" just for glimpses of Las Vegas during that era.
Old May 28, 2013, 6:44 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
The Boblo Island amusement park. If you grew up in parts of Michigan or Ohio, there was about a 50% chance that taking the ferry to Boblo counted as your first visit to a foreign country since it was on the Canadian side of the river.
Old May 28, 2013, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
Old Man of the Mountain.

Chris
Another +1 for the man in the notch!
Old May 28, 2013, 9:10 pm

Pan Am Worldport at JFK
Old May 28, 2013, 11:07 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by tfly212
best answer so far...such a tragedy.

I would throw Rumplemeyers out there...only went there once, when I was about 10 years old but I won't ever forget it. When I moved to NY it had closed, I was bummed.

http://www.thelmagazine.com/newyork/...nt?oid=1134758
St. Moritz on the Park, I remember it well! Potato skins and a chocolate shake, that's what I always ordered at Rumplemeyers.

Hmm, to put a different spin on the topic, and in the same neighborhood as Rumplemeyers, I liked FAO Schwarz way back when...I was in my high single digit years. There used to be a Houlihan's (or a similar restaurant) in the plaza where the Apple store is now, and those two places made for a common layover in the early 90s.
Old May 28, 2013, 11:59 pm
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
The cockpit when landing at Kai Tak. Pre-2001 and when my age was still one digit,the pilots on CX would always let me watch them land if I stood very quietly in the cockpit (and sat down in the jumpseat for the final approach). Navigating so closely to those buildings was always amazing/terrifying.
Old May 29, 2013, 9:35 am

JJs and Tanamur Discotheque or club, or whatever you want to call it, in Jakarta.
Old May 29, 2013, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by beachmouse
The Boblo Island amusement park. If you grew up in parts of Michigan or Ohio, there was about a 50% chance that taking the ferry to Boblo counted as your first visit to a foreign country since it was on the Canadian side of the river.
I can see Boblo from my parents house!
Old May 29, 2013, 10:41 am

Programs: DL platinum, AS MVP gold
The tiki bar and resturaunt between the main terminal and the inter island terminal at HNL. Great stop for a mai tai and a plate lunch after a long flight from the mainland.
Old May 29, 2013, 10:51 am

Plymouth, Montserrat. We were on this Caribbean island for a very enjoyable week a couple of years before the volcano blew and wiped out Plymouth along with most of the island's southern half.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.