Reload this Page >

New Zealand rear seat seatbelt law?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Zealand rear seat seatbelt law?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2013, 4:30 am

Urm... I think you might want to take that...as the joke that it was...

Don't worry.. I'm not blind to the fact that many of MY countrymen (and women) seem to think "extraterritoriality" is alive and well...

Why else - when busted for drugs in an Asian country (you know, one of those that don't think illegal recreational drugs are at all amusing) do those Aussies go on about how:

"In Australia I'd just get a fine...."

True... but (of course) completely irrelevant.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 4:40 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
While I won't excuse the OP, I will say NZ$150 ($125USD) is quite alot for a seatbelt ticket. Here in the states, most states only charge $30-50USD. This isn't the states, I guess they must be very safety concious in New Zealand or perhaps its a bloated goverment that has alot of "FREE" stuff like health insurance so it has to pay for that some how. I'm sure taxes in New Zealand aren't low either.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 4:56 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by Jerseyguy
While I won't excuse the OP, I will say NZ$150 ($125USD) is quite alot for a seatbelt ticket. Here in the states, most states only charge $30-50USD. This isn't the states, I guess they must be very safety concious in New Zealand or perhaps its a bloated goverment that has alot of "FREE" stuff like health insurance so it has to pay for that some how. I'm sure taxes in New Zealand aren't low either.
Hmmm, using dopey foreign tourists to subsidise their health care system? There's a good idea
Old Jan 12, 2013, 5:22 am

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
Originally Posted by Jerseyguy
Okay, so it is comparatively expensive. So are speeding fines and penalties for other traffic offences (as in Australia). That said, penalties for other things are much less than in the United States.

It reflects the differences in individual and community values that exist between the US and NZ. As for your comments about the value of universal health care and the rates of taxation, take it to OMNI/PR where it belongs (with the irony being that the tax burden in New Zealand and Australia is actually lower than in the United States).

Last edited by *A Flyer; Jan 12, 2013 at 5:35 am
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:12 pm

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
Originally Posted by trooper
Urm... I think you might want to take that...as the joke that it was...

Don't worry.. I'm not blind to the fact that many of MY countrymen (and women) seem to think "extraterritoriality" is alive and well...

Why else - when busted for drugs in an Asian country (you know, one of those that don't think illegal recreational drugs are at all amusing) do those Aussies go on about how:

"In Australia I'd just get a fine...."

True... but (of course) completely irrelevant.
Well, I thought it was a joke, but I was afraid that the OP might take it seriously.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 7:10 pm

Programs: QFF WP, VA SG, Hhonors Diamond
The message is clear: buckle up, people!

Pay your fine and say a silent thanks to the policeman whose advice may save your life one day.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 9:26 pm

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
Originally Posted by k_sheep
The message is clear: buckle up, people!

Pay your fine and say a silent thanks to the policeman whose advice may save your life one day.
And while you're about it, remember to wear a helmet if you ride a bike. Be it motor bike or pedal cycle, you have to wear a helmet in NZ, and you will be fined for not doing so.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 9:29 pm

I wasn't even aware there were jurisdictions in the US where being unbuckled in the back seat isn't illegal. I always figured all passengers had to have their seatbelts on.

Regardless, not wearing a seatbelt is one of the more dumber things you can do in a car.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by t325
Regardless, not wearing a seatbelt is one of the more dumber things you can do in a car.
And, as has been shown in this thread, this is why we have to have so many laws on the books. Too many people simply won't do obvious, easy, and in many cases free things that significantly reduce the costs to society. Hence the laws.

And, as far as entrapment goes, others are right: the OP doesn't seem to know what the word means. It would be entrapment if the police actively did something that caused, encouraged, or suggested that the OP not wear his seatbelt, and where he was not predisposed to not wearing it prior to the police action. That's obviously not the case here.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
No point getting insurance to visit NZ then? What you said doesn't quite add up.
But I don't think that the NZ system covers medical emergencies that are not accident-related (e.g. you need to have your appendix out, you suffer from a heart attack, etc, etc) or non-emergency medical situations that you still might want to get treated. And it doesn't cover repatriation.

And you still need travel insurance (assuming you want it) for things like lost luggage, delays that cause you expense, and so on and so on.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:39 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by Clincher
Yesterday, as a back seat passenger (not the driver or front seat) I received a NZ $150 ticket for not wearing a seat belt. Honestly I did not know there was a law requiring a seat belt in the rear seats.
You are lucky the consequence of not using the seat belt was a citation, not an injury from a crash.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:56 am

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
Originally Posted by Christopher
But I don't think that the NZ system covers medical emergencies that are not accident-related (e.g. you need to have your appendix out, you suffer from a heart attack, etc, etc) or non-emergency medical situations that you still might want to get treated. And it doesn't cover repatriation.

And you still need travel insurance (assuming you want it) for things like lost luggage, delays that cause you expense, and so on and so on.
Correct for both.

If you have an accident, you're covered but not a "normal" medical issue like a heart attack.

And you still need insurance for everything else.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 2:58 am

The concept of irony is perhaps a little sharper in the southern hemisphere than it is in the northern hemisphere?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by Trumpkin
Correct for both.

If you have an accident, you're covered but not a "normal" medical issue like a heart attack.

And you still need insurance for everything else.
I note your location and withdraw the comment that I made in my previous post.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
Without knowing what the law, regulations and common practice are in New Zealand for this offence regarding the imposition of a fine, it is impossible to say whether being let off with a warning was an option that could legitimately have been exercised or not.
This is the only question I was looking for an answer. Does the law allow for a fine reduction if there is reason to warrant it or could a warning have been given first. If anyone has accurate information on that I would be interested.

Originally Posted by nux
A lot of countries have this as a law.
And a lot of countries don't have this as law

Originally Posted by *A Flyer
They don't have to tell you about the laws with big signs (especially laws that are so common around the world).
Interesting you speak of signs. A few days after getting the fine for not wearing a seat belt in the rear seat, I rented a car and I was the driver. I drove from Christchurch to Fox Glacier to Milford Sound and back up to Queenstown; over 1000 km. There was only one (1) seatbelt warning sign along the entire way! Incidentally the one sign said nothing of the rear seat requirement. I find this especially interesting since the police woman told me that New Zealand takes their seatbelt laws very seriously.
Lot's of other signs repeated along the way such as drunk driving, driving when tired, driving when fatigued, share the road with bicyclist, etc. Only one seat belt sign.

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
NY is not the centre of the universe.
Never said NY was nor do have reason to believe it is.

Originally Posted by alanR
Most people would check the driving laws of the country (or state for that matter) they are visiting
This comment would indicate you have all the laws of your country of residence memorized and have never received a citation/fine. Is that so?
I actually think I did pretty good driving as far as I did, on the opposite side of the road no less and broke no other laws.

Originally Posted by maracle
More than half of US states require a seatbelt in the rear seat too. And it's a primary law in some of them.
This isn't exactly a strange or unique law.
Pay the fine, enjoy New Zealand.
I did enjoy New Zealand!
Saying half of the states have a rear seat belt law is a bit misleading.
In 18 of the 50 states, the seat belt law is considered a secondary offense, which means that a police officer cannot stop and ticket a driver for the sole offense of not wearing a seatbelt.
It was also strange to me because I hardly ever sit in the rear seats. I am always the driver. I know this is not an excuse but I still think some sort of warning would be helpful to tourist. If it is the responsibility of the local New Zealander's to warn rear seat passengers (I saw no other way a tourist would be educated-except getting a hefty fine) then the driver should be ticketed. If the driver warns the rear seat passenger and the passenger still does not wear one then the driver should not drive the car until they do.

Originally Posted by trooper
I'm not going to pile on... the matter has been dealt with adequately!
BUT... I AM interested in knowing this:
WHY would someone sit in a seat in a car equipped with a seat belt.. and NOT wear it????
Reallly curious about that one....
It's not the law everywhere.
Think of it this way. Car manufacturer's are regulated by governments to impose safety standards and safety equipment in cars. While most cars have rear seat belts they do not have the same warning lights and alarms as do the front seats. Why not? The Toyota we later rented in New Zealand (separate from the incident) warned me (the driver) and my wife (the front seat passenger) every time we got in the car and did not have the seat belt fastened yet. Why wouldn't government safety regulators require warning lights and alarms for those in the rear seats if they "take the seat belt laws so seriously"? Does not matter if Toyota is made in New Zealand or not, these safety enhancements could be added just as changing the steering from the right side to the left.

Maybe John Adams can clear up your confusion
http://www.enablingchange.com.au/The..._behaviour.pdf

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.