Wiki Posts
Search

New Zealand rear seat seatbelt law?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2013, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
By the way, I am in Thailand now.
Our Le Meridien bus driver did not wear a seat belt as he drove into Khoa Lak as he followed a pick up truck with about 10 riders in the back as he swerved around moped riders wearing no helmets who were also swerving in and out of cars.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 8:04 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by celle
I got a parking ticket, issued at gun point, in San Francisco for parking between 4 and 6pm in a certain area. There was no signage. I didn't like it, but I paid up and I didn't spend my time complaining about it. You have to obey the local laws, whether you like it or not.
What do you mean by "issued at gun point"? Do you just mean that the officer had a gun, or that he was pointing it at you while writing the ticket? Or is this a metaphor?
Old Jan 20, 2013, 8:36 pm

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
Originally Posted by cbn42
What do you mean by "issued at gun point"? Do you just mean that the officer had a gun, or that he was pointing it at you while writing the ticket? Or is this a metaphor?
I meant exactly what I said. I only wish it had been a metaphor, because it freaked me out!

I was in the passenger seat. My husband had parked briefly outside the hotel we were booked in, while he went in to ask where to find the hotel's parking area.

The officer motioned for me to wind down the window, which I did. She then held her pistol (pointed at me) in the open window with one hand, while completing the ticket with the other hand. She rested both the gun and the writing pad on the window opening in the car door. She had already filled in the details of car registration number, location etc before motioning for me to open the window, so she only had to write briefly.

Nice introduction to San Francisco!
Old Jan 20, 2013, 8:41 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by Clincher
Glad you said 'appear' because I never did say that.
If you break the word assume down in its parts, it is bad for you and me
You mean, for example, when one assumes that the road rules "back home" will apply when you travel half way around the world?
Old Jan 20, 2013, 8:45 pm

The officer motioned for me to wind down the window, which I did. She then held her pistol (pointed at me) in the open window with one hand,
Myself, I would never have assumed that the police officer was a male. I did assume when you said "at gunpoint" that the officer pointed the gun at you.

We could play this game with the OP all day
Old Jan 20, 2013, 9:26 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

She then held her pistol (pointed at me) in the open window with one hand, while completing the ticket with the other hand. She rested both the gun and the writing pad on the window opening in the car door. She had already filled in the details of car registration number, location etc before motioning for me to open the window, so she only had to write briefly.
Please report this to the SFPD internal affairs immediately. It is certainly not normal or acceptable practice among law enforcement in the US. Sometimes they tell you to place your hands where they can see them, but they are not permitted to draw a weapon on anyone without a valid reason.

It's good to respect the local laws and cultures when you are traveling, but that doesn't mean that you keep quiet when your rights are actually violated. In a sense, you are the polar opposite of the OP.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by cbn42
Please report this to the SFPD internal affairs immediately. It is certainly not normal or acceptable practice among law enforcement in the US. Sometimes they tell you to place your hands where they can see them, but they are not permitted to draw a weapon on anyone without a valid reason.

It's good to respect the local laws and cultures when you are traveling, but that doesn't mean that you keep quiet when your rights are actually violated. In a sense, you are the polar opposite of the OP.
It happened about 15 years ago (when we were younger and more naive) and we were returning to our country the following day. Too late to do anything more about it.

Naturally, we enclosed a letter of complaint along with our payment.

Also naturally, we had no reply to our letter.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:32 am

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
This thread calls to mind the sad fate suffered by this unfortunate but rather foolish chap.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I'm not sure what you are trying to say. According to that webpage NZ road accident death rate per capita is about 70% of USA rate.
".....The country has the highest death rate for 0-14 year olds in the OECD."

Therefore require seatbelts in the back...
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage, EB
Interesting to see how differently we think. Having traveled quite a bit in Europe, I don't ever recall seeing signs in the countries reminding about using seatbelts. Perhaps, because it is common sense, or at least mandatory everywhere in the EU? I've ever only seen signs reminding people to buckle up in the US, in multiple states. I've never thought of it as being optional, as a person in their early 30s I've always assmed it's mandatory everywhere, in personal vehicles.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 2:15 pm

Programs: Miles & More
Originally Posted by AReims
Interesting to see how differently we think. Having traveled quite a bit in Europe, I don't ever recall seeing signs in the countries reminding about using seatbelts. Perhaps, because it is common sense, or at least mandatory everywhere in the EU? I've ever only seen signs reminding people to buckle up in the US, in multiple states. I've never thought of it as being optional, as a person in their early 30s I've always assmed it's mandatory everywhere, in personal vehicles.
I can't speak for the rest of the EU but the UK had a lot of ad campaigns in the 70s and 80s reminding everybody to wear seatbelts, particularly because it was only (I think) in the late 80s that all cars started being sold with rear seatbelts. Nowadays they probably assume we don't need to be reminded to do something so blindingly obvious.

I find the 'the car doesn't tell me to do it so it can't be that important' argument a bit odd, frankly. My car doesn't tell me to brake for red lights...
Old Jan 21, 2013, 2:15 pm

Programs: Miles & More
Originally Posted by Clincher
By the way, I am in Thailand now.
Our Le Meridien bus driver did not wear a seat belt as he drove into Khoa Lak as he followed a pick up truck with about 10 riders in the back as he swerved around moped riders wearing no helmets who were also swerving in and out of cars.
Yes, Thailand. That shining example of road safety.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by Triceratops
Try India! Cows on the road and camels pulling carts. Up to 15 people in a tuk-tuk. Trucks laden so heavily that their axles bend. Rural traffic coming at you the wrong way on a one-way stretch of road (they're allowed to!).

We once followed a truck that had about 10 people sleeping in hammocks in the back. The hammocks swayed as the truck traveled along.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Triceratops
I'm still trying to figure out why Thailand has made an appearance in this thread...
Old Jan 21, 2013, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
I'm still trying to figure out why Thailand has made an appearance in this thread...
Why not?

The topic has wandered into a general discussion on road safety, NZ, UK, USA, Thailand and India being mentioned so far. Want to add Australia to the mix?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.