Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Zealand rear seat seatbelt law?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2013, 7:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by Clincher
Maybe this is how they are planning on paying for all the earthquake damage.
I got pulled over in New York for violating a traffic law I was ignorant of. I guess that's how they are planning on paying for all of the Hurricane Sandy damage. Never mind, it's probably how they are paying for the 9/11 damage.

That's how offensive your comments are to New Zealand.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 8:02 am

Programs: Miles & More
Originally Posted by adampenrith
Let's focus on not wearing the seatbelt.
Go around the next corner and you have a no fault accident.
You get thrown out of the car, as not wearing a seatbelt you have not protection.
Serious injury, you die!!!
Wear your safety device and stop whining about some police officer trying to keep you alive
Or you fly forward and kill the driver/passenger in front of you. Why on earth would you not wear the seat belt?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 8:23 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Nearly 60 years of driving, plus a stint flying about in Navy a/c, topped off by stopping for what looked to be a "minor" accident the other day in which a pair of kids and an adult, unbelted in the back seat, were injured, has firmly implanted "belting up" to me. It took a while, recalling the first seatbelts I recall, in a '56 Ford, IIRC, but experience and the "odds" altered my behavior.

As for NY (and NYC), able and willing to fill statute books with inexplicable trivia, I guess they just missed one actually likely to reduce death and injury. Having one been bounced off the front seat back and Plexiglas shield of a NYC taxi, I reach for belts there, too.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 9:36 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Yesterday, as a back seat passenger (not the driver or front seat) I received a NZ $150 ticket for not wearing a seat belt. Honestly I did not know there was a law requiring a seat belt in the rear seats. No warning, no signs (who looks at signs when are not driving anyway), no leniency just a ticket for $150. NY has no such law for back seat passengers.
Others have already covered all the fail in that first paragraph, although I would mention that it was my impression that the driver, not the passenger, got the fine for passengers failing to wear seatbelts. Could well have changed in the last few years as I haven't lived in NZ for almost a decade now.

Sort of a entrapment operation; plain clothes,policeman standing at light watches for those not wearing a seat belt and radio ahead to police officers waiting to pull you over.
You don't appear to know what the word "entrapment" means.

Anyway I guess it makes the most sense just to pay the fine. I feel the need to complain although I am sure no one will care.
You have the right to contest the fine and request a Court hearing. From what you've said here, you would also lose. Why should they (or anyone) care that you didn't know the law and broke it and got fined for it?

I also am tempted not to pay since it will be a long time until I return, of course that may not be the right thing to do either.
Ya think?

Any suggestions? Anyone else had this happen to you?
Only been here two days and this happens, sort of spoils the vacation and I feel the need to warn others if this happens to be a new trend to enforce this law on tourist.
New trend on tourists? You think the police officer, upon seeing you not wearing a seatbelt at a distance, could tell that you were a tourist? Paranoid often?

The officers have discretion in issuing fines. The fact that you are a tourist and they did give you the fine, based on my experience of NZ police and the way you've phrased things here, probably means you "earned" your ticket: IME, NZ police tend to be quite good with discretionary fines.

Maybe this is how they are planning on paying for all the earthquake damage.
Classy.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 9:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by acesflyerSFO
Yes, one should check if you are driving, but the OP was a rear seat passenger, obviously visiting. Courtesy would say let him off with a warning / unless they hate tourist.
At this point, pay the fine. I agree that it would have been courteous for the officer to let you off with a warning had you demonstrated you were an ignorant tourist (and I mean ignorant of the laws, not ignorant of the safety issues). But he didn't, and there's not much basis for appeal, nor is it worth the time.

Ideally the rental car company or the vehicle operator would remind you of (a) the law and (b) that they enforce it seriously.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
I'm hesitant to add to the criticism (I think you get the trend of the replies ), but suggest wearing a seat belt is a sensible idea, whether required by law or not.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:29 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Way to re-enforce those ugly American stereotypes.

Geez this may go down as one of the stupidest posts of the year.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
Sorry jet lag may have not allowed me to word my question/post properly. Sorry to offend anyone regarding how revenue from fines are used. Also, obviously my ID was asked for so they of course knew I was a tourist.
Thanks for the comments. Planning on paying the fine and considering it part of our trip budget. New Zealand is a beautiful country; scenery and people.
Live and learn.
Thanks
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:25 pm

Also, obviously my ID was asked for so they of course knew I was a tourist.
I think the tourist thing is a furphy. There is no reason that they should especially remind you of New Zealand's seatbelt laws. Many countries have had mandatory seatbelt laws for a very long time. You can't expect a rental agency to remind you of all the differences between New Zealand and New York traffic laws.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:30 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Others have already covered all the fail in that first paragraph, although I would mention that it was my impression that the driver, not the passenger, got the fine for passengers failing to wear seatbelts. Could well have changed in the last few years as I haven't lived in NZ for almost a decade now.

You don't appear to know what the word "entrapment" means.

You have the right to contest the fine and request a Court hearing. From what you've said here, you would also lose. Why should they (or anyone) care that you didn't know the law and broke it and got fined for it?

Ya think?

New trend on tourists? You think the police officer, upon seeing you not wearing a seatbelt at a distance, could tell that you were a tourist? Paranoid often?

The officers have discretion in issuing fines. The fact that you are a tourist and they did give you the fine, based on my experience of NZ police and the way you've phrased things here, probably means you "earned" your ticket: IME, NZ police tend to be quite good with discretionary fines.

Classy.
^^^
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:41 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9650; en) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.719 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

NZ police runs zero tolerance periods on specific things and it sounds like you found the seatbelt one if you found a 'sting'.

The law is the law in NZ, pay the fine. If you're over 15, you're responsible and not the driver.

(I got cited in LA for jaywalking across an empty street, something which wouldn't happen in NZ...).
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:47 pm

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
I think the tourist thing is a furphy. There is no reason that they should especially remind you of New Zealand's seatbelt laws. Many countries have had mandatory seatbelt laws for a very long time. You can't expect a rental agency to remind you of all the differences between New Zealand and New York traffic laws.
Agreed.

The law requiring rear seat passengers to wear a seat belt in NZ came into effect in 1989.

Hardly a new law and certainly no scheme to pay for earthquake damage, OP.

However, it is usually the driver who is fined if passengers are not complying with the law.

In many cases, insurance cover is invalidated if the driver is not complying with the law.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think of seat belt laws as a tax on stupidity. Wear the belt, it might save your life or the life of someone else some day.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 4:01 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by celle
However, it is usually the driver who is fined if passengers are not complying with the law.
Only if the passengers are under 15.

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/fa...d-airbags.html

Originally Posted by NZTA
If you're the driver, the law says it's your responsibility to make sure that everyone under 15 years old is wearing a safety belt or sitting in an approved child restraint.

(However, the driver of a passenger service vehicle such as a bus or taxi is not legally responsible for ensuring seatbelts are used, if fitted.)
Drivers and passengers 15 years and over must wear a safety belt if there's one available.
If you don't wear a safety belt, or you allow a person under 15 years to travel unrestrained, you can be fined $150 for each belt not worn. The driver must pay for each unrestrained person under 15 years old. People 15 years and over are responsible for their own fine.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 5:03 pm

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
Originally Posted by ajnz
Only if the passengers are under 15.

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/fa...d-airbags.html
I stand corrected.

However, it's the driver's insurance company that may deny cover.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.