Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading Yourself

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2015, 3:17 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by cbn42
Let me spin this question a bit more. Those of you who think this is theft, please answer.

Let's say I book a middle seat because I don't want to pay extra for an aisle/window. I get on the plane and the aisle is vacant, so I move there, thereby giving both myself and the guy by the window a bit more room. Is that theft of services as well?

If not, what distinguishes this scenario from moving into first class?
Sorry to the people who have posted contrary.

This is not a theft of "services" because everyone in the same cabin receives the same services. People in Business/First receive extra benefits/services for their premium pricing. The "additional services" in the cabin such as food, beverages, blankets, pillows, etc. are sold on a per diem basis in the cabin.

The seat may cost more because of the higher demand for aisle/window seats and the airlines use this to increase their revenue. If the seat goes unsold because someone doesn't pay the higher premium and it's empty, than it's just lost revenue. The airlines themselves will move people into these seats if it makes sense for operational purposes. Also, when a party of three purchase tickets together and are seated together, they are not charged three different prices for the window/middle/aisle seats.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 3:35 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by teddybear99
This is not a theft of "services" because everyone in the same cabin receives the same services. People in Business/First receive extra benefits/services for their premium pricing. The "additional services" in the cabin such as food, beverages, blankets, pillows, etc. are sold on a per diem basis in the cabin.
"Services" refers to the transportation, not the cabin service.

Originally Posted by teddybear99
Also, when a party of three purchase tickets together and are seated together, they are not charged three different prices for the window/middle/aisle seats.
They are often charged an extra price to be able to book a window or aisle seat and avoid being assigned to three middle seats at check-in.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 3:49 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by cbn42
"Services" refers to the transportation, not the cabin service.

They are often charged an extra price to be able to book a window or aisle seat and avoid being assigned to three middle seats at check-in.
Again, all is the same service as everyone on the flight is going from point a to point b. The premium prices are paid because of additional products on board given to them such as a larger seat, free food or beverages, etc. This is why I hate how airlines price their flights with prices going up as lower fare buckets get depleted. I do get why this occurs; I just don't feel it's fair that 2 people seating next to each other may have paid hundreds/thousands of dollars difference for a seat on the same plane for the same destination.

I have flown multiple times with 2 other members of my family and every time when booking as we are "linked" and assigned at booking three seats together. We were not charged additional fees for aisle/window seats. This has occurred on B6, AA, DL, and KE all in the last 2 years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.