Search

What side to seat from Asia to America

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:45 pm
Osk
Original Poster

Hello

I have a flight from Tokyo to Mexico in the 787 next year and i was wondering what side is better to seat Right? Left? because the whole flight is daytime and i am wanted to avoid the sunlight because it bothers when you try to sleep and to look outside
Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Osk
Hello

I have a flight from Tokyo to Mexico in the 787 next year and i was wondering what side is better to seat Right? Left? because the whole flight is daytime and i am wanted to avoid the sunlight because it bothers when you try to sleep and to look outside
The right side of the plane should get less sunrise sunlight than the left (because you'll be flying south at that time), but it doesn't really matter because SOP on transpacs is to keep the window shades closed/dark during daylight hours (bucking this trend will not make you many friends).
Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I suggest the inside.

Really can't imagine port or starboard makes any real difference.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k

787 doesn't have windowshades. They will have all the windows dimmed so it won't be uncomfortably bright wherever you are.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by braffy
787 doesn't have windowshades. They will have all the windows dimmed so it won't be uncomfortably bright wherever you are.
It can, however, get much hotter on one side than the other, as I found out on a Trans-Pacific last year, half the plane moaning about being too hot, and when the temperatures were lowered, the rest of us complaining about being freezing!
Old Dec 4, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
I would sit on the sunny side so that you can control window shades.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Technically, a 787 may not have window shades, but it has window darkening controls.

That said, ANA has complained to Boeing on the record that the shades don't get dark enough for people to sleep when the sun is up. It even plans to install physical shades in the 787s it already has. If that's an issue, or if as you said you just want to avoid the sunlight, you may want to be on the north side of the aircraft, away from the sun - that is, on the left side eastbound to MEX.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by Osk
Hello

Another piece of advice for you. I can't recall off the top of my head if I heard this somewhere or read it in Scientific American but I can tell you this. Do NOT stare at the sun. You'll burn out your retinas that way. If you must look, take a quick glance and then look away.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 1:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Efrem
Technically, a 787 may not have window shades, but it has window darkening controls.

That said, ANA has complained to Boeing on the record that the shades don't get dark enough for people to sleep when the sun is up. It even plans to install physical shades in the 787s it already has. If that's an issue, or if as you said you just want to avoid the sunlight, you may want to be on the north side of the aircraft, away from the sun - that is, on the left side eastbound to MEX.
As I previously suggested, north/south shouldn't matter nearly as much as east/west because you take off from Tokyo, it gets dark for a few hours, and by the time the sun rises, the plane should be flying towards the SE with the sun rising from the east. As such, the RIGHT side of the plane gets less sun.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
With it being possible for either side of the plane to get sunshine depending on the plane's heading at that point in time, plus the 787 having electronically darkening windows that aren't as effective as physical sunshades, it seems OP should purchase a comfortable sleep mask.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 8:27 pm
Osk
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply guys now i can make my decision
Old Dec 5, 2015, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Osk
..in the 787 next year and i was wondering what side is better to seat Right? Left? because the whole flight is daytime and i am wanted to avoid the sunlight because it bothers when you try to sleep and to look outside
While all 787 (sans a few old 2-4-2 seaters) are terrible, the ones with electronic window shuttering are more abominable as the liquid crystal panels suck at absorbing a large chunk of the infrared spectrum. Stay far from the windows. If you choose an aisle in the middle section you also have a chance to get your shoulders into the aisle and only be bumped regularly but not squashed.

I myself spend money not to be on 787s though is is a matter of taste. If you like screeching cabin sounds and being confined then it is a great plane.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 1:37 pm

If the concern is not looking into the sun or being awakened by sun steaming in the windows, you really have to map the route on a great circle mapper and then check the associated azimuth of the sun at points and times along the route on the date of flight. One can be amazed where the sun actually can be relative to the heading of the airplane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.