Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

The 2012 Storm Featuring Hurricane Sandy: Please Report Weather Conditions Near You

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2012 Storm Featuring Hurricane Sandy: Please Report Weather Conditions Near You

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2012, 6:25 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

The purposes for this discussion is to not only report weather conditions for those who are traveling no matter what conveyance or vehicle they use, but also to ensure that you are all right where you are located.

If you need help or assistance, please report it in this thread just in case fellow FlyerTalk members can oblige.

I will start:

Here in the Atlanta area, we are experiencing sustained winds of 12 miles per hour, gusting up to 24 miles per hour under cloudy conditions with a wind advisory in effect for the next 24 hours calling for sustained wind speeds of up to 25 miles per hour with wind gusts of up to 35 miles per hour. The weather is colder than normal, as the temperature is now 48° Fahrenheit with a chance for overnight freezing temperatures and wind chill factors.

These conditions could cause flight delays at the international airport in Atlanta.

What are the weather conditions caused by this storm where you are located which could be of interest to fellow FlyerTalk members?
Old Oct 28, 2012, 6:28 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Thanks, Canarsie for starting this thread. ^
Old Oct 28, 2012, 7:11 pm

PHL - transit shutting down

Philadelphia area: the status of the airport keeps changing, but I expect it will close very soon for the duration.

Weather: intermittently heavy wind and rain, has been increasing through the day.

SEPTA: shutting down completely shortly after midnight Sunday according to the radio.

NJ Transit: rolling shutdown, check their website for times.

State and locals officials are closing non-emergency related government offices and schools for Monday, and a few are already announcing Tuesday closures as well. Officials are asking everyone not involved in emergency services to stay home and stay off the roads until Tuesday morning.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Washington DC

At 930p local time: still calm. Light rain, temps around 55F, 20mph winds. Real storm action still 8-12 hours away. City battened down: Metro rail / bus suspended after midnight and will not operate Monday morning, federal government and most schools closed Monday. IAD and DCA to remain technically open Monday, but most if not all Monday flights cancelled.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 7:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
MDT

MDT is currently open.

Light rain, looks like it'll stay that way for the next 12 hours or so, then will turn into "squalls" with 30-40 mph winds.

Lots of schools and businesses are closing for tomorrow and Tuesday. I'm assuming they're closing for Tuesday as well now, because they anticipate people being without power to see or hear any closings.

Neither Mr. Kipper's employer nor mine have closed yet. I anticipate his will close early tomorrow, while mine will only close if the city declares a state of emergency and shuts down.

We're on a well, so we have 9 cases of drinking water, should we lose power. We also have several 2-liter bottles, a 5 gallon bucket, 2 coolers, and 5 growlers filled with water for less exotic uses.

While at least right now, we're peachy, I wouldn't mind about positive thoughts and prayers that we weather the storm well, especially Geno, who is terrified of storms, and Bonnie, our foster dog for a week, as we have no idea how she'll react to the weather.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 7:44 pm

Programs: United Premier, Air France Silver, AAdvantage, Matmid Gold
Bad turbulence DCA-LGA. Beverage service happened during taxiing.
US air this afternoon. 1 pm shuttle.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 7:46 pm
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
BOS

Light winds and rain all Sunday. All BA arrivals cancelled for Monday, as is the case for all East Coast hubs.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
In Chciago they issued a Lake Shore Flood Warning with winds up to 60 MPH.... How lovely.......
Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CubsFanJohn
In Chciago they issued a Lake Shore Flood Warning with winds up to 60 MPH.... How lovely.......
We are also in the "Possible" rating for extended power outages, according to The Weather Channel via NBC News.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Water levels are high along the NYC side of the Hudson near 14th street. Waves were lapping at the sidewalk in the riverfront park and splashing up through the grates of some of the walkways.

On the plus side, while a bit windy, it was quite pretty out tonight otherwise.

Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:57 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Currently in New York, the temperature is 13°C and cloudy.

Wind is out of the east northesat at 23 km/h with gusts up to 39 km/h
Dewpoint is 8°C
Humidity is 69%
Visibility is 16.1 km
Pressure is 1005,8 hPa
Old Oct 28, 2012, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Philadelphia area: Weather: intermittently heavy wind and rain, has been increasing through the day.
???
Also here in Philly and all day, we’ve had nothing more than light to moderate rain (which never lasted that long) and MAYBE max gusts of 20mph. Currently, weatherbug is reporting 6mph sustained with 19mph gusts from a weather station here in King of Prussia, where I am. Hasn’t rained in about 3 hrs.

Not sure where you are getting this ‘increasing wind and heavy rain’ from. Perhaps in another part of Philly.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
At 930p local time: still calm. Light rain, temps around 55F, 20mph winds. Real storm action still 8-12 hours away. City battened down: Metro rail / bus suspended after midnight and will not operate Monday morning, federal government and most schools closed Monday. IAD and DCA to remain technically open Monday, but most if not all Monday flights cancelled.
I just flew into DCA from CLT (Landed 9:30pm). The flight was bumpy, but no worse than a typical summer afternoon flight. US being US, they decided that no drink service would be done, even in F. It's drizzly and breezy, but definitely not a mega-storm.

My flight out of DCA tomorrow afternoon on UA was cancelled for no apparent reason, considering DCA is expecting nothing more than 40mph winds and some heavy rain. I now get to drive to PIT to catch a flight to ORD tomorrow morning. Lovely...
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
Rain all day in eastern TN

Hurricane bands all the way back to Nashville from western NC. This is one big storm.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by PSUhorty
???
Also here in Philly and all day, we’ve had nothing more than light to moderate rain (which never lasted that long) and MAYBE max gusts of 20mph. Currently, weatherbug is reporting 6mph sustained with 19mph gusts from a weather station here in King of Prussia, where I am. Hasn’t rained in about 3 hrs.

Not sure where you are getting this ‘increasing wind and heavy rain’ from. Perhaps in another part of Philly.
Yes, different neighborhoods have been experiencing differing weather conditions today; feel free to look at any set of radar maps you like and you'll see that, and maybe realize that the snark in your post wasn't appropriate.

Where I am has had steady rain since about 4 pm, and some of it has been extremely heavy. A branch from my oak tree, which ends 4 feet from the house, just slapped against a window - no, I don't have a wind guage but it took a pretty good gust to do that.

A friend who lives 9 miles from here has had the same conditions. YMMV, but I'll refrain from sarcasm if it does.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.