Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

The 2012 Storm Featuring Hurricane Sandy: Please Report Weather Conditions Near You

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2012 Storm Featuring Hurricane Sandy: Please Report Weather Conditions Near You

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:47 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Here in the Atlanta area, we are experiencing sustained winds of 18 miles per hour, gusting up to 26 miles per hour under clear and sunny conditions with a wind advisory still in effect through 8:00 tonight Eastern Daylight Time. The weather is colder than normal, as the temperature is now 53° Fahrenheit with a chance for overnight freezing temperatures and wind chill factors.

These conditions — as well as the domino effect from areas directly affected by the storm — could cause flight delays at the international airport in Atlanta. Please check with the airline to ensure the status of your flight to or from Atlanta.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:39 pm
Suspended

College Park, just outside washington D.C.

Originally Posted by BearX220
130p local: Things have socked in badly within the last hour. Overcast down, wind up, higher gusts, rain intensifying. WTOP radio urging all cars off the streets. Here we go.
Rain is not heavy but steady enough to soak the ground. It looks like Washington metro area might be within the area of intense winds even if landfall occurs as predicted between DE and NJ.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
Originally Posted by Yaatri
Rain is not heavy but steady enough to soak the ground. It looks like Washington metro area might be within the area of intense winds even if landfall occurs as predicted between DE and NJ.
Landfall will be north of you, somewhere around Atlantic City. Yes, winds will be quite gusty for you but nothing like it will be north of the ‘eye’. Your main concern will most likely be more of the intense rain and flooding. Not to diminish the winds that you WILL get, but those north of you will most likely trade wind speeds w/you!

Here in Philly (about 15 mins west of city center), the winds are picking up, as is the rain. Still no really heavy gusts, however. About 10mph sustained with gusts to 30mph. Looking at the radar, in about 45 mins, the rain will REALLY start to pick up and remain sustained for a while. The latest predicted track of the storm takes it right over Philly.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:52 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat by proxy, Sephora VIB, I have a low AA FF#...
BOS: I haven't left the house all day because I've heard that the MBTA has closed down. It's really effing windy here, and pouring buckets. I was glad to find one extra flashlight and batteries that fit it.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Central NJ, about 15 miles inland from the shore.

The wind has substantially picked up in the last hour or so. The gusts are around 50-60 mph and come often.

The only upside is that she had sped up and will make landfall in a few hours. Hopefully she'll get the h3ll out of here quickly.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm in Crown Heights, Brooklyn. I live in the 9th floor of a 14 story building where most of the buildings nearby are 5-story buildings. Wind is blowing like crazy - seen some furniture fly off peoples balconies. I've moved everything I can off my balcony except for 2 heavy storage boxes which are too big to fit through my back door - but I've rachet-tied them down. I've seen reports of flooding near JFK, a crane on a tall new building on 57th st in Manhattan just broke and seems to be hanging there according to this pict that SanDiego1K shared with me - https://twitter.com/gdoner/status/26...887488/photo/1 - this one is a bit crazy!
Old Oct 29, 2012, 1:59 pm

Programs: United Premier, Air France Silver, AAdvantage, Matmid Gold
Southern Berkshire County, pouring rain.
Gusty winds. Trees blowing around.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 2:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
MDT

Pouring rain, gusting winds, still have power in many areas, knock on wood. City streets/roads right at streams and ponds starting to flood.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PSUhorty
Landfall will be north of you, somewhere around Atlantic City. Yes, winds will be quite gusty for you but nothing like it will be north of the ‘eye’. Your main concern will most likely be more of the intense rain and flooding. Not to diminish the winds that you WILL get, but those north of you will most likely trade wind speeds w/you!
Thanks. Yes, I am aware of which side of the eye is worse. The difference between north and south depends on how far apart you are. I am quite content to miss the eye. I have no desire to experience another storm after Katrina. I think, we are creating noise by discussing this.

Originally Posted by PSUhorty
Here in Philly (about 15 mins west of city center), the winds are picking up, as is the rain. Still no really heavy gusts, however. About 10mph sustained with gusts to 30mph. Looking at the radar, in about 45 mins, the rain will REALLY start to pick up and remain sustained for a while. The latest predicted track of the storm takes it right over Philly.
Stay safe. I am glad I am not where I used to live some years ago in Delaware.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Chicago update as of 1710 CDT.
Lake Shore Flood Warning into effect at 0100 hours
Navy Pier Outdoor Pier closing
450 flights cancelled at ORD
100 flights cancelled at MDW
Old Oct 29, 2012, 4:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bhatnasx
I'm in Crown Heights, Brooklyn. I live in the 9th floor of a 14 story building where most of the buildings nearby are 5-story buildings. Wind is blowing like crazy - seen some furniture fly off peoples balconies. I've moved everything I can off my balcony except for 2 heavy storage boxes which are too big to fit through my back door - but I've rachet-tied them down. I've seen reports of flooding near JFK, a crane on a tall new building on 57th st in Manhattan just broke and seems to be hanging there according to this pict that SanDiego1K shared with me - https://twitter.com/gdoner/status/26...887488/photo/1 - this one is a bit crazy!
Stay away from the windows. If the windows shatter, glass will be flying around.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kipper
Pouring rain, gusting winds, still have power in many areas, knock on wood. City streets/roads right at streams and ponds starting to flood.
Seems like you will be close to the eye. Stay safe.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 4:38 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Flushing, NY (near Mets Stadium and Whitstone Bridge), 6:30 pm EDT, 10/29/12: so far we've had light rain but heavy winds, no trees down (yet).
[My definition of heavy rain, is hearing lots of noise against my air conditioner.]
Old Oct 29, 2012, 5:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
MDT

Originally Posted by Yaatri
Seems like you will be close to the eye. Stay safe.
Thanks. Our power just went out and then came back on after a minute or two. I'm guessing we'll probably lose internet, except via smartphone, as we have satellite internet.

There's more flooding in low areas, and the grass is muddy water more than anything else.

We're experiencing a lot of gusts of winds, and the rain is fast and furious. Based on how the wind sounds, I'm guessing the power won't last long.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 5:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Here in the Hudson Valley about 20 minutes from SWF.

Some rain falling, but the wind has shaken my house to the foundation.

Glad to report we still have power, other towns around us have last theirs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.