Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

The 2012 Storm Featuring Hurricane Sandy: Please Report Weather Conditions Near You

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2012 Storm Featuring Hurricane Sandy: Please Report Weather Conditions Near You

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2012, 5:33 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosiac, Marriott Platinum
Marshfield, MA

It's still extremely windy here on the south shore- winds in the 30-40mph gusting to 60mph. Not much rain at all. The ocean has flooded many areas prone to flooding. Nearby towns have been evacuating. Can't imagine how bad it would have been if it actually hit near here.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Washington DC

800p local: we have intermittent rain but it's not currently fierce, wind gusts at DCA peaking at 70mph, and the temperature has dropped to 46F. We're seeing a lot of localized flooding and spot evacuations. Power outages spreading across the region; a transformer just popped off in my neighborhood sending a flash across the sky like a lightning strike. We're currently in the dark ourselves. Sending this via cellphone hotspot.

Washington Metro transit service suspended again tomorrow / Tuesday.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
50-60 MPH winds in downtown Chicago tomorrow.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:21 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Eastern PA issues

So I had to leave for a conference and left MrsPP40, teenagePP40, and babyPP40 back in eastern pa. Lights out at 8pm-with major fire in the power lines at the bottom of our driveway. Family is reporting "major" winds at 11pm eastern and are headed to basement to sleep the night away. Prayers and thoughts to all in our neighborhood.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
MSP: Weather is fine here, cloudly and chilly, but local TV news is reporting that over a hundred flights were cancelled today. The airport looked empty except for some long lines. AFAIK airport hotels generally still have rooms.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Here in PHX. There is 100 flights is being canceling today. Tomorrow flights is being canceled, too. Approximately 200 flights are being cancelled tomorrow.

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blo...3353#protected

Hopefully on Wednesday the flight will resume but, just a limited flight to JFK, EWR, BOS, BDL, PVD, BWI, PHL, BUF, PIT, DCA, IAD.

All flights will back to normal schedule. When the weather is cleared.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:57 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Atco NJ

Some rain and wind remaining, no floods but a lot of ground for the water to soak into, not even cold, i am sitting with the window open.
Power was out for 2 hours last night but back on pretty quickly
we are under a flight approach for PHL but I wouldnt want to be up there
Old Oct 30, 2012, 4:40 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
MDT

I can't see outside, as it's still dark here, but I think we survived pretty well. There are over 300 secondary roads closed, speeds are reduced on interstates, and a lot of places are closed or opening at 11 or 12. There are a lot of power outages throughout the area (over 100,000 throughout the Susquehanna Valley), but as of right now, we still have power.

Last edited by kipper; Oct 30, 2012 at 4:45 am
Old Oct 30, 2012, 8:29 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Downers Grove Weather Update.

Really Really Windy.

Chicago:

LSD (Lake Shore Drive) is still open but likely (Just my opinion) to close.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 8:58 am

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold, UA MP
NYC update

As of Tuesday AM, LGA/JFK closed b/c runway still flooded. Most of EWR flights cancelled. Newark is out of power. Issue is no public transit so people cannot commute to work. Only Lincoln Tunnel is open between Manhattan and NJ and nothing between Manhattan and Long Island as bridges and tunnels closed to access JFK.

Looks like flights likely won't resume until tomorrow, and most of the access will not be open until wind subsides.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 9:35 am

Manhattan below 26th-ish street without power. I walked from 14th up to 42nd and things got slightly better further north though the wind and rain are still coming in. Could have been worse, to be certain, but it was pretty bad or many, many people.

A couple shots from ~5pm yesterday:

Old Oct 30, 2012, 9:46 am
Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-us; SGH-T989 Build/IMM76D) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

We had no major issues jsut outside Washington D.C. except a momentary loss of power. When I went to bed, the sound of raindrops fallingbon the skylight was bately audible.
People up north are still nou out of it though. A fallen tree resting on power lines near my brother's house in RI.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 9:50 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I went for a run over the weekend along Lake Michigan in Chicago and was surprised at how angry the lake was. I mean, it was already a mean-looking lake then, so I imagine by now it's looking seriously pissed.

I was happy my flight operated normally yesterday...I was mildly concerned that the grounding of planes back east could cause a mass repurposing of available aircraft to the most profitable operable routes, and who really knows if KC would make that cut. But I suspect that with the lead time available for a big hurricane, airlines have ample time to get their planes out of the affected airports ahead of the storm.

Back in Kansas City, it's chilly and overcast but otherwise pleasant. Good day for a run, actually.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 9:54 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Conditions in Central Maine have been quite nasty so far today. There were two separate rounds of very heavy downpours with frequent lightning in the last two hours, and most likely more to come by the looks of the forecast.

Power to my house went out approximately 2am this morning, and as of the time I left for work at 7:45am, it still hadn't come back on.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Washington DC

1145a local time: Winds mostly abated, drizzling and 42F outside. Old Town Alexandria and other low-lying areas near the Potomac are flooding. Hundreds of road closures owing to downed trees and power lines. About 200k addresses without power in the metro area; ours just snapped back on after about 15 hours in the dark. Metro rail and bus resume service at 200p local on a reduced / Sunday schedule. A few flights said to be departing IAD and DCA this afternoon, but the delays and canx now are due to a/c out of position, not local weather conditions.

Not so bad as it turned out. Not nearly as much havoc as caused by the Derecho in June.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.