Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

The 2012 Storm Featuring Hurricane Sandy: Please Report Weather Conditions Near You

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2012 Storm Featuring Hurricane Sandy: Please Report Weather Conditions Near You

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:08 am
Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-us; SGH-T989 Build/IMM76D) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

We had no major issues jsut outside Washington D.C. except a momentary loss of power. When I went to bed, the sound of raindrops fallingbon the skylight was bately audible.
People up north are still nou out of it though. A fallen tree resting on power lines near my brother's house in RI.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by CubsFanJohn
Downers Grove Weather Update.

Really Really Windy.

Chicago:

LSD (Lake Shore Drive) is still open but likely (Just my opinion) to close.
How bad do you think the Edens/Kennedy will be today? Currently in Wisconsin and hesitating on driving back to Chicago now based on high wind reports.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:31 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by nba1017
How bad do you think the Edens/Kennedy will be today? Currently in Wisconsin and hesitating on driving back to Chicago now based on high wind reports.
If you aren't on Lake Shore Drive (LSD) I think you will be okay. I'd give it a go.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by gtpdiddy
As of Tuesday AM, LGA/JFK closed b/c runway still flooded. Most of EWR flights cancelled. . . .
Looks like flights likely won't resume until tomorrow, and most of the access will not be open until wind subsides.
News stories say all three airports closed, no re-open timeframe identified. Guesses I saw on the internet are that JFK will open at some point tomorrow (Wednesday). LGA was extensively damaged, will be closed at least for several more days, maybe much longer. I couldn't find any info (not even guesses) about EWR re-open times.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:48 am

Programs: Brown medallion
Very calm and clear now in Boston. The sun is out.

According to Boston.com, "Boston’s Logan International is expected to resume normal operations by midday, but there will be continued flight disruptions resulting from problems caused elsewhere by Sandy."
Old Oct 30, 2012, 1:15 pm

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by sbm12
Manhattan below 26th-ish street without power. I walked from 14th up to 42nd and things got slightly better further north though the wind and rain are still coming in. Could have been worse, to be certain, but it was pretty bad or many, many people.
My hotel is on W26th at 7th Avenue. Last night was weird -- everything from the 25th street intersection down was pitch black. A few torches on the sidewalk of people heading north. Everything from 26th street up was as lit up as ever.

Wasn't particularly windy or wet at 5pm (when I returned from my office near Madison Square Gardens), or at 10pm.

Feel strange to be sat on the edge of a major storm like this, see the devastation a few blocks away, but have weather like a March afternoon in Wales.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 3:36 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
NYC Thread

For those interested in reports from NYC:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-y...ct-2012-a.html
Old Oct 30, 2012, 4:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
MSP. About a hundred flights were cancelled and there are reports of airplanes being parked here for the duration of the Sandy disruption.

Chilly and partly cloudy today, not much wind and fewer clouds than yesterday. By chilly, I mean high around 50 F and low around 30 F, so not so bad, although slightly colder than average for this time of year.

All SPG and Hyatt brand hotels are available tonight, generally at very reasonable rates for a weekday. So this could be a good place for any DL folks to wait out the storm since it's a hub. Hey, we're even Minnesota nice and have good Halloween parties.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 7:42 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by paulwuk
My hotel is on W26th at 7th Avenue. Last night was weird -- everything from the 25th street intersection down was pitch black. A few torches on the sidewalk of people heading north. Everything from 26th street up was as lit up as ever.

Wasn't particularly windy or wet at 5pm (when I returned from my office near Madison Square Gardens), or at 10pm.

Feel strange to be sat on the edge of a major storm like this, see the devastation a few blocks away, but have weather like a March afternoon in Wales.
Some of the NYC power outages were intentionally caused by the power company to protect equipment, rather than a direct effect of the storm, but I get where you are coming from. It is quite possible that on Thursday, people will be drinking in bars and eating in restaurants on M Street in Georgetown, DC, while two blocks closer to the river, buildings will be flooded as the Potomac drains all the rain Sandy dumped in Pennsylvania.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by sbm12
Manhattan below 26th-ish street without power. I walked from 14th up to 42nd and things got slightly better further north though the wind and rain are still coming in. Could have been worse, to be certain, but it was pretty bad or many, many people.

A couple shots from ~5pm yesterday:

My god!! That's too much water!! It's terrible!! Wait for a few days when the water will goes away.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 6:09 am

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Eastern PA devistation

Wife is in Eastern PA/NJ border with the TeenPP40 and BabyPP40 while I am still at the conference.

Major destruction-with many roofs no longer on their houses, trees EVERYWHERE, anything that wasnt heavy or tied down in the streets/yards/out of place, and power out all over the place. Currently the local power company is now saying 2+weeks for power restoration! (Although, they got tons of bad press when the Halloween snow storm of 2011 caused 9 days for most (us included!) when they stated "100% return by 3 days" so maybe they are playing this one safe???)

Personally, we made out ok-considering. Shingles off the house-but sound roof still, generator stopped running due to low oil first night-which was corrected!-and a shutter blew off. All things considered, could be MUCH MUCH worse!!!

Mrs, Teen, and Baby are all safe-and that is the most important.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
PhillyPhlyer40 glad your family is safe.

Very possible that the electric company is not overestimating that restoration time so be prepared for that. Most likely the damage to the electrical grid is as bad as the damage to the houses, so they will probably have to do some rebuilding which would take time if it was just your area affected. But with a widespread area affected, and even with crews coming from other areas of the country (I know our local utility sent at least 350 workers), it just adds to the time to rebuild.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 9:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
Wife is in Eastern PA/NJ border with the TeenPP40 and BabyPP40 while I am still at the conference.

Major destruction-with many roofs no longer on their houses, trees EVERYWHERE, anything that wasnt heavy or tied down in the streets/yards/out of place, and power out all over the place. Currently the local power company is now saying 2+weeks for power restoration! (Although, they got tons of bad press when the Halloween snow storm of 2011 caused 9 days for most (us included!) when they stated "100% return by 3 days" so maybe they are playing this one safe???)

Personally, we made out ok-considering. Shingles off the house-but sound roof still, generator stopped running due to low oil first night-which was corrected!-and a shutter blew off. All things considered, could be MUCH MUCH worse!!!

Mrs, Teen, and Baby are all safe-and that is the most important.
If they need anything, I'm a 2 hour drive away, but let me know and I can see what I can do.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:11 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by You want to go where?
Some of the NYC power outages were intentionally caused by the power company to protect equipment, rather than a direct effect of the storm, but I get where you are coming from. It is quite possible that on Thursday, people will be drinking in bars and eating in restaurants on M Street in Georgetown, DC, while two blocks closer to the river, buildings will be flooded as the Potomac drains all the rain Sandy dumped in Pennsylvania.
That was a relatively small part of the outage, affecting 8,500 customers at the southern tip of Manhattan and another 36,000 in Brooklyn.

The main outage was caused by flooding and explosions at the 14th St. ConEd substation, which knocked out power everywhere below 39th St. for 220,000 customers in Manhattan.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:09 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nrr
Flushing, NY (near Mets Stadium and Whitstone Bridge), 6:30 pm EDT, 10/29/12: so far we've had light rain but heavy winds, no trees down (yet).
[My definition of heavy rain, is hearing lots of noise against my air conditioner.]
Follow-up: Yesterday 10/30/12, I walked around the area where I live and found (1)a few twigs on the ground--NO fallen trees, (2)lots of leaves on the ground, (3)NO puddles of water, since there was not that much rain.
There were NO power outages.
PS: LGA is about 6 miles away (but right on the water)--it is amazing (to me) that the scene there is so different from here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.