Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Proposing on the plane...

Old Sep 10, 2012, 7:51 am
Original Poster

My wife and I are traveling to the US together with an unmarried couple. He intends to propose to his girlfriend on the plane. We are traveling in J on Malaysia Airlines. He is asking me for help or any suggestions on how he should propose in the air. One would be to involve the cabin crew. Does any FTers have any suggestions?? What is the most romantic marriage proposal in the air you have ever heard of?
Old Sep 10, 2012, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by lincoln76
Does any FTers have any suggestions??
My suggestion is he shouldn't do it unless he is absolutely sure the answer is going to be in the affirmative.

Otherwise, it could make for an uncomfortable (and long) flight.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 7:57 am

Programs: AA, BA, CO
Personally .... I'd talk him out of it. Nothing special .... doing that 30 years ago maybe special ... these days it's almost like proposing on a bus. Just my opinion.

I'd rather propose at the destination.

P.S. If he still wants to do it on the plane ... he should do it towards the end of the flight AND .... a lot of effort from the crew to make it special .... like using the PA system, etc. Otherwise .... change the venue.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 7:58 am

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
I have no experience proposing on the plane, I proposed at an airport. Been good for 18 yrs this month
Old Sep 10, 2012, 7:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lincoln76
What is the most romantic marriage proposal in the air you have ever heard of?
Uh, none? It sounds as romatic as proposing in a bus station or a McDonalds. Surely there must be someplace at your destination more appealing than the inside of a plane?
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:01 am

A YouTube search will yield lots of videos which might be a good place to start.

Personally, I think it's a rather odd setting. I wouldn't want to propose in a loud, metal tube filled with hundreds of strangers (especially if she says no ). Not really the best way to spend the first few hours of an engagement. But if she is the type that will like that, then go for it.

Good luck to your friend.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:05 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Thread transferred to TravelBuzz! because the topic is not related to earning or redeeming miles or points.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:21 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

AH! My girlfriend got her proposal on a flight to Hawaii... per her boyfriend, the captain announced it over the loudspeaker... something along the lines of "and now, a special announcement from one of our passengers...C, I love you, will you marry me? K"

Well, my shy girlfriend nearly died of embarrassment. The passengers looked around wondering "who are C and K?" When she came forth, she did NOT say yes. It was very uncomfortable for her all in all. I never heard K's version of the story, but it took them nearly 6 more years to finally get married.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:42 am

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
If the answer is not a yes, a long vacation is coming up!
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, IHG RA, Hyatt Diamond, Amex Plat, SPG Gold
Unless you are sure she is going to say yes, and loves to be in the spotlight, would avoid. A proposal should be an intimate moment between two people and they should take time to enjoy rather than have a bunch of strangers congratulate you or worse, say you're bothering them from sleeping.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Depending on the girl, one of the first things she may want to do is call family and friends and tell them - so I'd say not on the plane for that reason.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
In my opinon 1 word:

CHEESY!
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:41 am

The only way I'd do it is by having the Captain announce it on the PA as part of the flight briefing.
There really isnt anything special about flying for us frequent flyers; but I can understand the appeal for someone who does not travel much and might make for a good memory.
Have the Purser pass a note to the Captain, and find a way to have some Champagne available OB by calling ahead to the airline.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 6:12 pm

Never seen one.......I am sure it makes sense to some people but do I really want to share such an intimate moment with a few hundred strangers? Nope (and I wonder if she would enjoy the moment)
Old Sep 10, 2012, 6:20 pm

If you have the captain announce it during his briefing, then there is a big possibility that the girlfriend would either not hear it or not understand a word that captain is saying. 99% of the time cockpit anouncements indecipherable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.