Reload this Page >

Proposing on the plane...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proposing on the plane...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2012, 7:14 pm

Now now...there are a lot of FTers who travel all the time and thus compare the airport/airplane to a McDonalds, etc. But many of us don't get to fly that often, especially in J, so it's a real treat and something special.

I would inform the flight attendants at the beginning of the flight so they treat you well during the flight, enough to arouse suspicion that something might be up. Then towards the very end of the flight do the proposal with a champagne toast from the cabin distributed in advance.

Also: make sure the answer is yes
Old Sep 11, 2012, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all your input, both positive and negatives. I'm sure she would say yes, the proposal is just a formality.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 8:35 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
It's a sweet idea.
Just some homework needed, as making sure to inform the crew, with the hope captain agrees on the announcement.

J cabin is not for "hundreds" of passengers, and Malaysia seems enough cozy for the situation.

As FA are accustomed to onboard celebrations/birthdays, an F upgrade is unlikely, but who knows..

lincoln76 I think your support will be crucial to make feel at ease the couple
Old Sep 11, 2012, 3:47 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles, SWA, Starwood, HiltonHonors, Marriott, Accor
16 years ago, I proposed to my wife on a plane.

At the time, she was a Flight Attendant working the flight. I was also an employee and was non-reving on the flight. We had already had discussions about getting married, she had told me her ring preferences, and I had the talk with her father (which she knew about). My dilema at the time was not whether she would say yes, but whether she would be at all surprised. The reason that I chose to propose on the plane was that it was out of character for me and she wouldn't expect it.

There were some logistics involved. I had to get to the airport separately. I didn't want the security screener to look at something oddly shaped in the carryon bag and say, "Hey, what's this?" I also wanted to talk with the Captain and the Number 1 Flight Attendant to get their permission to use the speaker. It was somewhat of a logistical challenge to talk with them before the flight left and not get my now wife suspicious. The Captain, the Flight Attendant, even the gate agent all saw the ring and were thrilled about it.

I was lucky enough to be seated in F. All the other Flight Attendants came up to see the ring. Soon the ring was being passed around the F cabin. After the service was done in the back (remember when there were meals on domestic flights?), I got up, went to the loudspeaker, and began to talk. I met her at the curtain, got down on one knee, and she said "Yes." The other passengers seemed to enjoy it (especially giving me advice).

So to the OP: Advise your friend to get there early; Talk to the pilots and FA's; and don't listen to the naysayers!!
Old Sep 11, 2012, 9:36 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Assuming she agrees, could an airplane captain also marry them (I think ship's captains can)--look how much money they are saving by not having a wedding.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 1:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by WMPA
My suggestion is he shouldn't do it unless he is absolutely sure the answer is going to be in the affirmative.

Otherwise, it could make for an uncomfortable (and long) flight.
Agreed, nothing worse than a very public humiliation! Ever see those guys try that at sporting events and get turned down? Hilarious! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk5RD0pbREU

Proposals should be done as privately as possible.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 1:39 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Bad idea, IMO. Almost every guy who proposes expects the answer to be yes, but you really never know. It's also corny; a flight is nothing special these days (unlike 50 years ago). Instead of looking for ideas about how to propose on a plane, I would instead look for ideas about other scenarios to propose.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:24 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Originally Posted by florin
Bad idea, IMO. Almost every guy who proposes expects the answer to be yes, but you really never know. It's also corny; a flight is nothing special these days (unlike 50 years ago). Instead of looking for ideas about how to propose on a plane, I would instead look for ideas about other scenarios to propose.
Over-equipped when it comes to the vividness of my imagination, I immediately conjured up an image of a long awkward silence, the rest of the flight, debarkation, recovering baggage, etc., if she said "no", a real "downer".
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:30 am

Why do young people think such an occasion should be marked by gimmickry or watched by strangers? From proposal to ceremony, it seems nothing but cheap bids for attention. Vulgar and thoughtless, to make special times meaningless.

Now get off my lawn.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:33 am

p.s. Lincoln?
The proposal is NEVER a "formality"!
Old Sep 13, 2012, 4:32 pm

I have a better idea.
Go to a baseball game and put the proposal on the big scoreboard thing-y. Much classier.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Now now I'm just asking a question, on the request of my friend to help him out a bit, and as per usual the messenger is getting shot. OK I will try to convince him to propose in private at Lake Louise. Then they can retreat to their room. Can't really have intimacy in the lavatory of a metal tube anyway!
Old Jan 26, 2014, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA, DL, US, UA, Starwood
Marriage Proposal While In-Air

I am not sure if this is the right place to bring this up but here goes:

My close friend has been dating his girlfriend for a while now and she's in love with airplanes. He has the brilliant idea of proposing to her mid-flight on the loudspeaker system. Would the FA's be willing on making an announcement mid-flight or is this against security regulation?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jan 26, 2014, 11:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Elite Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, BA
Marriage Proposal While In-Air

Hope he flies her in first class to keep it more intimate. Emirates, Singapore, Cathay or Lufthansa will certainly do the trick. And will certainly provide some extra bubbly!

It is THE moment she's been waiting for, so make it memorable! Please not on Spirit Air or WN ( unless they met aboard one of those planes)

I'd definitely suggest writing or calling the public relations department for assistance.

Last edited by lacuadra; Jan 26, 2014 at 11:37 pm
Old Jan 26, 2014, 11:44 pm

Just propose. On a plane if necessary. Please leave everyone else out of it.

Sorry to sound harsh, but I have NO interest in being forcibly made to listen such things....

Yes, it's HUGE for them, and congratulations, best wishes etc... but I'm sorry. I DON'T care, and would thank other people not to (selfishly?) want to disturb a planeload of strangers with their private business.

Apparently there is an average of 6,200 weddings a DAY in the USA.....

Good evidence indeed that while it is special to the individuals concerned, it is far from a unique event.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.