Reload this Page >

Rant on deplaning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rant on deplaning

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2012, 4:54 pm

Agree with Westcoaster. There is not room in the aisle for all of us to stand in line at the same time. I usually wait in my seat until it is my turn, I do expect to exit at that time and not wait until everyone who is in line to exit. I move as quickly as possibly and have my hand baggage ready as well.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, *G, Global Entry
I think the misconception here is that there's a line. There is no line. There's just a bunch of people who stood up at their row and are now waiting to get off. An aisle seat three rows behind me doesn't mean you're "in line" ahead of me.

joe
Old Jul 9, 2012, 5:05 pm

Me too.. In fact I thought the OP was joking at first!

Really... someone in row X who leaps up as soon as the seatbelt sign goes off (or, let's face it.. before that) is entitled to get off before everyone in rows 1>X?

You must be kidding....

I'll turn it around and ask:

"Does it annoy anyone else that people jump up into the aisle as soon as (or before) the seat belt sign is turned off, and then expect to push past everyone else?"

YES, it does!
Old Jul 9, 2012, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by monksy
If they were there getting their bags out or already was in the aisle by the time I got there no worries. But if you're moving with the line and then someone just jumps out in front of you... come on.
There's always a line. In order to get up and get out you have to "jump in front" of someone.

Just because people are moving along the aisle doesn't mean you aren't allowed to jump up, get your stuff, and start walking. If you aren't giving people the space to do that then you're doing it wrong.

Originally Posted by trooper
Me too.. In fact I thought the OP was joking at first!

Really... someone in row X who leaps up as soon as the seatbelt sign goes off (or, let's face it.. before that) is entitled to get off before everyone in rows 1>X?

You must be kidding....

I'll turn it around and ask:

"Does it annoy anyone else that people jump up into the aisle as soon as (or before) the seat belt sign is turned off, and then expect to push past everyone else?"

YES, it does!
This.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
As I was standing in the aisle to reach my bag, a rather large, 60-ish Midwestern woman sitting a couple of rows behind barreled right through the aisle next to me, saying "Excuse me! Excuse me!" rather aggressively as she did so.

I was annoyed, but whatever. I went back to trying to get my laptop bag out from the overhead. Then another 60-ish, large Midwestern woman did the exact same thing, literally pushing me out of her way and almost leading me to drop the laptop bag. She was a friend of the first woman.
Out of curiosity, how do you know these women were Midwestern??
Old Jul 9, 2012, 5:35 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
Actually this doesn't annoy me at all and is the way I expect things to work. I generally expect the people seated in rows in front of mine to deplane before I do and I expect to get off before those seated behind me. So I wait for those in front of me to pull down their bag and then I take my turn to get off. There are exceptions to this but absent a good reason I expect to deplane this way.

I find it annoying when I want to get my bag down and people from behind my row push forward in the aisle trying to get off quickly, thereby blocking people's ability to get to their bags.

I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

On my last flight I started to enter the aisle to take my turn to get off when a guy from a row behind me tried to zoom past. I gave him the stink eye and he backed off.
+1000. I hate when I am in a window seat in F and cannot get out into the aisle due to the mad rush of other F and Y pax in rows behind me.

If in the aisle, I generally hold up the flow from behind until those in my row are out.

Exceptions are those who will obviously need extra time. If I know their bag is five rows back, there is no point....
Old Jul 9, 2012, 5:57 pm

I think orderly deplaning allowing the rows ahead to exit is appropriate. The way I imagine what I think the OP describes - I could see all the aisle folks deplaning and the remainder of the plane trapped and then getting "cutoff" as the back of the plane starts to fill that line up.... basically a mess.

I prefer just letting the plane deplane by rows. I often sit toward the back, and it really is not that much of a wait. 9/10 times the baggage isnt even on the carousel by the time I get there (with a bathroom break on the way.) Nothing more annoying than being told of urgent connections then I see the guy standing in the Tim Hortons line....
Old Jul 9, 2012, 6:10 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by g-didi
I think orderly deplaning allowing the rows ahead to exit is appropriate. The way I imagine what I think the OP describes - I could see all the aisle folks deplaning and the remainder of the plane trapped and then getting "cutoff" as the back of the plane starts to fill that line up.... basically a mess.

I prefer just letting the plane deplane by rows. I often sit toward the back, and it really is not that much of a wait. 9/10 times the baggage isnt even on the carousel by the time I get there (with a bathroom break on the way.) Nothing more annoying than being told of urgent connections then I see the guy standing in the Tim Hortons line....
+1
Old Jul 9, 2012, 7:32 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
If they were there getting their bags out or already was in the aisle by the time I got there no worries. But if you're moving with the line and then someone just jumps out in front of you... come on.
It is called politeness, plus it is the way things should be done (ie deplaning by row). Pretty gauche to assume otherwise.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by Flyingmama
Out of curiosity, how do you know these women were Midwestern??
Their accent was clearly northern Illinois. If I had to guess, I'd say they were from the west/northwest suburbs of Chicago. I'm from the area, and I know what people there sound like.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 7:40 pm

now, to hijack the thread a little bit...

You know, I just thought of something - I hate the word "deplane." It's not a real word. You don't debus or detrain. You get off the bus. You get off the train. You should get off the plane. Or, to make things even easier - alight. Exit. Leave.

The only time I've ever heard the word "deplane" used is by a FA in their spiel (and of course on FT, which doesn't count because people here are clearly weird )

Does anyone else agree with me here?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL FO, HH Diamond
You know, I just thought of something - I hate the word "deplane." It's not a real word. You don't debus or detrain. You get off the bus. You get off the train. You should get off the plane. Or, to make things even easier - alight. Exit. Leave.

The only time I've ever heard the word "deplane" used is by a FA in their spiel (and of course on FT, which doesn't count because people here are clearly weird )

Does anyone else agree with me here?
I believe the word "deplane" was coined by Herve Villechaize (Tattoo) on Fantasy Island, c. 1978.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by drat19
I believe the word "deplane" was coined by Herve Villechaize (Tattoo) on Fantasy Island, c. 1978.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old Jul 9, 2012, 8:21 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
You know, I just thought of something - I hate the word "deplane." It's not a real word. You don't debus or detrain.
Yeah it is. It's in all the major dictionaries

Debus is also a word, but not in common usage.

Detrain is also a real word.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 8:39 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Actually, people seated in front of you shouldn't be "jumping out in front of you" because you should be letting them go in front of you. If they decline, fine, but you should give them the right-of-way. It is common deplaning courtesy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.