Reload this Page >

Rant on deplaning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rant on deplaning

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2012, 8:44 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by drat19
I believe the word "deplane" was coined by Herve Villechaize (Tattoo) on Fantasy Island, c. 1978.
Ha! Good one
Old Jul 9, 2012, 8:45 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by lsumegan
Actually, people seated in front of you shouldn't be "jumping out in front of you" because you should be letting them go in front of you. If they decline, fine, but you should give them the right-of-way. It is common deplaning courtesy.
What lsumegan said. ^^
Old Jul 9, 2012, 8:51 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
When attempting to deplane, and after sitting still for a number of hours, I usually break wind. In this way, those who are behaving badly are subjected to the full wrath of my bowels. Everyone else is collateral damage.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 8:54 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by monksy
Most people who do this have a bag in the overhead. At best I would say they could get up, get the bag out in 30 seconds. Often its takes more because the bag is heavy, their too short, the bag is huge, or the bin is small at the opening.
Sit quietly for 30 seconds. Don't do anything other than watch the clock. It's a surprisingly long time.

If your time estimate were correct:
* Your average 757 has a 26-row 3-3 economy configuration.
* Your description assumes that the two people in the aisle seats are standing in the aisle & everyone else (4 people per row x 26 rows) should get off the plane after the first 52 people (26 x 2).
* Each of those 4 people per row take 30 seconds to get their bags, or 2 minutes per row.
* Multiply that by 26 rows, and by your estimates it takes 52 minutes to clear out the economy passengers who aren't in aisle seats.

Uh-huh.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by trooper
Me too.. In fact I thought the OP was joking at first!

Really... someone in row X who leaps up as soon as the seatbelt sign goes off (or, let's face it.. before that) is entitled to get off before everyone in rows 1>X?

You must be kidding....

I'll turn it around and ask:

"Does it annoy anyone else that people jump up into the aisle as soon as (or before) the seat belt sign is turned off, and then expect to push past everyone else?"

YES, it does!
+1! What is the OP trying to say? Everyone should stop everything and wait for him to deplane???!!! Nothing is more annoying than people from the back rushing forward.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:02 am

Location: MEL, PER, PBO, occasionally ships, oil rigs and other places that no sane human being should ever find themselves
Programs: IHG RA, PC Plat, QF Plat/LTS
I have to say that I disagree with the OP and agree with most of the other people. Generally speaking the front of the plane gets off before the back.

Assuming that the plane is all one class (y) and I'm in seat 1A, the OP seems to be saying that, just because the people in the isle seats can get up first that I have to wait for ALL of them to deplane before I do? Seriously, there's no way that 1A should have to wait for the guy in say 45C to get off before they can grab their bag and go.

I'd say front before back, unless you're elderly, invalid, have very large/awkward bags or other reasons where you would significantly hold up those behind you, in which case they should wait for a significant gap in the line. Even that, though, would just be a courtesy.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:32 am

When I was deploying to the gulf in 1990 I embussed for a short ride, then debussed and emplaned for a short flight.. then deplaned and embarked on my ship... didn't disembark for QUITE a while....

All real words... if not in common usage!
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:39 am

Programs: M&M (LX/LH) Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Silver, AF/KL Silver, Swiss Railway
Very possibly the most inane thread ever created on FT...
Old Jul 10, 2012, 1:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Oh no, there are tonnes worse than this

But I agree with the majority view here. Because the people sat in the middle and the window have no opportunity to move until the person in the aisle leaves, you have to give them an opportunity to get out too, rather than just (rather rudely IMHO) assuming that because you have managed to fight into the aisle, you get to keep them pinned in their seat.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 5:55 am

I think there's a general understanding that, all else being equal, people get of an aeroplane from front to back. Therefore, it's fairly normal for people standing up to let people who happen to have been sitting in front of them but not already in the aisle get up and get their bags and continue down the aisle.

Not everyone wants to stand up for five minutes or more in the aisle after the plane has arrived at the gate (and some people are more or less prevented from doing so, either by age or infirmity, or because they can't get out of their seat because of other people being in the way, or whatever).

I, on the other hand, normally do aim to get out of my seat as soon as possible after arrival at the gate, simply to stretch my legs and avoid claustrophobia. But that's a personal choice. I don't think that this means that people sitting in front of me who don't do this should have to wait for me to go past them before they join the general exodus.

Aeroplanes are not overly blessed with space, generally, so everyone has to make some concessions to other passengers.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by cordelli
Yeah it is. It's in all the major dictionaries

Debus is also a word, but not in common usage.

Detrain is also a real word.
Yes, they are real words but they're used mainly by people in the transport industry, and I suspect that they were originally made up by the industry.

Of course, most people simply "get off the plane" or "get off the train" or "get out of the bus" or whatever - although bus and train companies sometimes like to talk about their passengers "alighting". But rather mysteriously, it seems that that airlines don't talk about passengers "alighting from the aircraft", do they?
Old Jul 10, 2012, 6:11 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by Christopher
Yes, they are real words but they're used mainly by people in the transport industry, and I suspect that they were originally made up by the industry.
I don't see any problem with that. One of the beauties of the English language is its ability to create and absorb new words. Where else would you expect them to create new words than in the place where the words are needed? The last thing we need is an Academie Anglaise governing our language.

Originally Posted by trooper
When I was deploying to the gulf in 1990 I embussed for a short ride, then debussed and emplaned for a short flight.. then deplaned and embarked on my ship... didn't disembark for QUITE a while....
One of the odd things about this phrase is that the oldest pair has the strangest construction - disembark. Embark - To get on a barque (a type of boat). Disembark - to un-get on a barque?
Old Jul 10, 2012, 6:21 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
I would agree with the OP that leaving an aircraft is a frustrating experience but I don't think you can establish any set rules. Clearly it is more efficient (smoother flow)if the people nearest the door leave first, followed by the people in rows behind them but this has to be tempered against the ability of people to leave the aircraft at normal speed and teh desire of some people to leave the aircraft faster.

Ideally those who are unwilling/unable to leave the aircraft quickly should sit towards the rear, preferably in window seats so that faster pax do not have to try and find a way around them. People in aisle seats (expecially at the front) should ensure that they are able to grab their stuff and go - it is very annoying to watch as people stream past your row whilst your seatmate messes about sorting their stuff, a task which they could have accomplished before landing. People who are waiting for other pax shouldn't stand in the aisle at all but in seating areas, either their own or one further forward which has been vacated by its occupants.

Barrelling through other people isn't acceptable but nor is avoidably delaying other people. It's just a matter of patience and courtesy
Old Jul 10, 2012, 6:40 am

Programs: AA Gold, DL FO, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Christopher

Of course, most people simply "get off the plane" or "get off the train" or "get out of the bus" or whatever - although bus and train companies sometimes like to talk about their passengers "alighting". But rather mysteriously, it seems that that airlines don't talk about passengers "alighting from the aircraft", do they?
George Carlin famously observed that he disliked when the announcement said, "Get on the plane." His retort: "F&^% you, I'm getting *IN* the plane!"
Old Jul 10, 2012, 8:15 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Well, there's always the guy with a 2 hour connection who has to deplane first...

Long ago indoctrinated in the haze grey system in which boarding and deboarding of Admiral's barges, Captain's gigs, and officers' Liberty boats was an careful evolution of rank and date thereof ("Seniors first, boot ensigns last), I've never had any problem accepting the logical norm, deplaning by row starting with row #1, and if it's my day in the barrel back in 62F, stand by to wait.

Nota bene:

Emplane and deplane are fine and fitting terms, brief and unmistakable.

Confusion exists over the more nautical terms. Board and the rarely used "deboard" apply in maritime connotation to small boats or brief periods aboard a ship. Embark and disembark (along with infrequent debark) refer to the beginning and end voyages.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.