Reload this Page >

Tipping housekeeping.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tipping housekeeping.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2015, 4:34 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by tmorse6570
This article claims that 30% don't tip housekeeping.

http://www.oyster.com/articles/44331...kers-get-paid/

I figure if I can afford $200 - $300 for a nice room, then it isn't going to kill me to be nice and leave a $5 tip each day. They work hard. It's the resort and parking fees that bug me. Those should be included in the room charge.
There have been a couple of Boarding Area polls in recent years that have it more at 50/50 at most. Mrs User Name has been a housekeeping supervisor in a couple of mid-range US business hotels and believes it's even lower than that.

I don't think it's a question of being able to afford it, or whether it "kills you" or not. It wouldn't kill me to tip every person I came into contact with who provided a service for me. It's more of a question of social norms from my perspective, and tipping housekeeping clearly isn't one of them.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: AS
I've had a hotel maid tip herself - to my toiletries. A complaint to the hotel management didn't do much for me, but now I make sure to keep more of an eye out/protect my goods by securing them in safes/locked bags etc.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 2:58 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
I know this is an old thread but seemed like appropriate to my post..

I have never had housekeeping not take a tip before. I am staying at a Hilton garden inn. The Room was empty except Luggage in the closet. I left $5 by itself on the desk. The desk was rearranged but the money was left behind. I am not sure I am going to treck down to the front desk to leave it for her/him.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by kklems

I have never had housekeeping not take a tip before. I am staying at a Hilton garden inn. The Room was empty except Luggage in the closet. I left $5 by itself on the desk. The desk was rearranged but the money was left behind. I am not sure I am going to treck down to the front desk to leave it for her/him.
You probably should have left a little note with the money "for maid", that's what I always do when I don't hand the tip to the maid directly.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 3:51 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Unless it's obvious that the $ is intended as a tip, they probably aren't allowed to take it, or are afraid they will be accused of stealing. I always leave a short note with the tip to thank them for cleaning.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 5:43 pm

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
They will take it if you leave in the bathroom, anywhere else and they would be afraid to take it. I also leave a note and put it in the bathroom.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 8:14 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Angry

I bet they had no idea it was a tip....
Old Dec 4, 2016, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I always leave it on the pillow.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
I leave the tip on top of the used towels, generally in the bathroom.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by rbwpi
I leave the tip on top of the used towels, generally in the bathroom.
Why on top of the used towels?

Does one leave tip daily or upon checkout? If the latter, is it the daily rate multiplied by how many days stayed?
Old Dec 5, 2016, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by quan98
Why on top of the used towels?

Does one leave tip daily or upon checkout? If the latter, is it the daily rate multiplied by how many days stayed?
We always do it at the end of our stay. Many hotels offer envelopes for tipping.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 8:20 am

At large resorts we tip daily as you don't always have the same housekeeper. We bring envelopes that say 'housekeeping' on them, so there is never a misunderstanding.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by Lkeade
At large resorts we tip daily as you don't always have the same housekeeper. We bring envelopes that say 'housekeeping' on them, so there is never a misunderstanding.
Good point about having different housekeepers.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 4:52 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by flwrlover1
Good point about having different housekeepers.
I've been to resorts in Cuba where the housekeeper left a welcome note saying that she would be taking care of our room until Thursday, but would be off on Friday, a subtle way of ensuring that her replacement didn't get the full week's tip
Old Dec 8, 2016, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by User Name
There have been a couple of Boarding Area polls in recent years that have it more at 50/50 at most. Mrs User Name has been a housekeeping supervisor in a couple of mid-range US business hotels and believes it's even lower than that.

I don't think it's a question of being able to afford it, or whether it "kills you" or not. It wouldn't kill me to tip every person I came into contact with who provided a service for me. It's more of a question of social norms from my perspective, and tipping housekeeping clearly isn't one of them.
I often want to tip housekeeping but end up forgetting in the rush to pack and check out. While on the one hand I think that housekeeping tip envelopes are incredibly gauche, I also feel they are helpful in reminding me to tip if I so feel inclined.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.