Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tipping housekeeping.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
I've never tipped the maid and never will. It is not my responsibility to pay the help. That is the hotel's job.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 9:34 pm

I've stopped tipping ever since a few of my good friends that are directors at large hotel chains told me to not tip them.

I did notice that while I was staying at Disney, my friend tipped housekeeping every day (just like $5 per day) and got her towels (+ extra towels) shaped into animals -- and it was impressive! It would've taken me at least a few hours for me to do anything remote like that (I had no idea you could make Mickey Mouse out of towels).
Old Jan 5, 2012, 9:51 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
+1

Originally Posted by cordelli
Don't eat breakfast in the hotel? Probably could have gotten it for a fraction of that at someplace around the corner.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 9:53 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I always tip for stays of more than 2-3 days IF

I can find the housekeeper who is actually cleaning my room. Easier than it sounds. And I tip at the beginning of a stay and ALWAYS get extra towels, soaps, extra clean bathroom, water etc etc.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:15 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I don't understand why people tip the housekeeping staff other than in exceptional circumstances. They are not being paid below-legal-minimum wages with the expectation that customers will make up the difference (as is the case with restaurant servers in the US), so there's no need to tip for ordinary service. And what constitutes extraordinary service? Cleaning up after you've made a wreck of the room? Yeah, if you've pulled all the drawers out of the cabinets and soaked half the pillows in the bathtub[1] I totally understand leaving some money as a form of apology for the extra work you've created. But assuming you haven't made an unholy mess, why tip?

[1] I have a relative whose daughter does things like this when she is "expressing" her "creativity".

Last edited by darthbimmer; Jan 5, 2012 at 10:16 pm Reason: grammar
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by edcho
I did notice that while I was staying at Disney, my friend tipped housekeeping every day (just like $5 per day) and got her towels (+ extra towels) shaped into animals -- and it was impressive! It would've taken me at least a few hours for me to do anything remote like that (I had no idea you could make Mickey Mouse out of towels).
I thought this was standard at the Disney hotels, regardless of tipping.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 4:51 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
I always leave a modest tip in the US (never anywhere else) when I check out regardless of the length of stay, unless I'm particularly unhappy about the standard of the housekeeping (or them banging on my door with fresh towels when I have the Do Not Disturb sign on). I figure that (1) they earn less than me and (2) it won't hurt if I should forget any of my property behind.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 5:06 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
I never tip housekeeping. I regard it as a 'standardized' service. There are not varying degrees to which my room can be clean, my bed made, my towels replaced and my soaps etc. re-stocked. I do not want or need to bribe them to supply extra water or shampoo (if I need more of the latter I'll simply ask for it at reception) and I do not need a towel shaped like an animal, or indeed anything shaped in any other way than God intended.
MichaelKade likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
I thought this was standard at the Disney hotels, regardless of tipping.
I've never seen it at my stays at Disney hotels -- this time we had a block of rooms at the same hotel and we never got anything like that except for my friend -- my other friend tried tipping on the last day though and he got some nice things made for him.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 8:35 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cordelli
Don't eat breakfast in the hotel? Probably could have gotten it for a fraction of that at someplace around the corner.
Yes, of course, that's a the obvious solution. One can skip breakfast too. Or not eat any meals. That was not the point though.
The Federal Govt per diem rate for London was more than double that amount. There is a reason why those rates are published so that people don't have to slum.
That's why I am surprised at how they got away with it. I am sure you know London is not cheap. But all of this is OT anyway.

Originally Posted by squeakr
+1
That's a really weird response. I did not solicit opinions on what I should have been managing my meals.

Last edited by Yaatri; Jan 6, 2012 at 8:46 am
Old Jan 6, 2012, 8:39 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sunny 1
We tend to leave something for the housekeeper if staying, say, 5 nights or more in a hotel and have, sort of, gotten to know a housekeeper - but onlynwhen we're sure she's going to receive it. Many times, there are multiple people servicing the room daily.
The impression I got from the thread about no housekeeping over X-mas was that the percentage of tippers and expectation would be higher. It seems that there is expectation of a tip too.
Originally Posted by planemechanic
I generally hand the DND sign when I check in and then leave it there until I check out. I have no need to "get to know" the housekeeper, and feel no need to tip them. They are paid to do a job, just as I am.
Good idea. I will do that.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by edcho
I've never seen it at my stays at Disney hotels -- this time we had a block of rooms at the same hotel and we never got anything like that except for my friend -- my other friend tried tipping on the last day though and he got some nice things made for him.
This is a wikipedia link to Towel Animals. Not that it's authoritative or anything, but they mention that it's often done. Maybe it's more sporadic that this page leads one to believe.

Towel Animals

When I went on a cruise, I got towel animals every day after they cleaned my stateroom.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
[rant]

This may sound harsh, but the tipping culture in this country has gotten woefully out of hand. I understand that some of these professions are criminally low paying and that bartenders' and servers' salaries are designed to rely on tips. However...

Servers at even low-end restaurants demand at least 20% for the bare minimum of service.

Cab drivers--who tend to be serial ripoff artists in the first place--openly sneer at a $2 tip on a $6 fare.

Horror stories are floating around about skycaps putting garbage in people's luggage if they don't tip over $5 (personally, I'll never use a skycap).

The sense of entitlement among some service personnel has become extremely disproportionate to the value of the service that they provide. A line has to be drawn, and housekeeping is where I draw it.

[/rant]
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by zcat18
[rant]
A line has to be drawn, and housekeeping is where I draw it.
[/rant]
But housekeeping still has access to your stuff while you're there. It's best to draw the line with the cabbies. Just pay the man and run out.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
But housekeeping still has access to your stuff while you're there. It's best to draw the line with the cabbies. Just pay the man and run out.
LOL--true, true. However, for reasons that baffle even me, I'm far more comfortable acting like a complete and utter @$$hole to cabbies than I am to other types of service personnel. It's highly therapeutic, so I justify the tip by telling myself that it's not for good service, but instead for putting up with my deliberate rudeness towards them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.