Wiki Posts
Search

Tipping housekeeping.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2012, 4:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by squeakr
I think it's reasonable to suggest that if you are complaining about how poor your per diem is, one solution is to manage your per diem bertter.
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
^
Originally Posted by SylviaCaras
Yaatri: I don't know how they got away with it at US$60 per day (meals and incidentals) for London.

$60 is very low for London - I use US State Dep't for international benchmark - they now allow twice that.

Sylvia
Originally Posted by Often1
1. A reasonable tip is about 5% of the room charges. $5/night is fine in a $100/night hotel. If you are in a $400/night room, $20/night seems reasonable.

2. What your employer pays you as compensation and reimburses you is between you & your employer. Particularly those reimbursed on a Federal government rate, the "I" in "M,I&E) is for "Incidentals" such as tips. If your supervisor won't approve an expense voucher which complies with the rates for the locale (under your contract if you are a contractor), report it to the Inspector General for your agency (or the agency which let the contract).

3. It's plain cheap not to leave a tip. One can argue that it would be a better system if hotels paid their cleaners more, raised their rates and tips weren't necessary (kind of like the European system for restaurants where "service" is added and a tip is very small and only for extraordinary service). But, argument or not, it's not the way it is.
I am going to put together a few responses together and see what conclusion it leads to.
Let's do some maths---no-- arithmetic here. The ---180 pounds. The tip would be $15 per night for doing their job. Out of $60 per day, one is expected to starve and tip house-keeping, come home and report an unethical employer to Inspector General and lose one's job.

Last edited by Yaatri; Jan 8, 2012 at 4:31 pm
Old Jan 8, 2012, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by cheltzel
+1

Most of my business travel is longer term (6 - 15 days). IF I can see that I am getting the same housekeeper or if there are only 2 housekeepers, I tip (and well).

I get the same results as squeaker, without exception.
Same.

If I'm at a hotel for a week or longer, particularly if it's a high-end property, I'll leave $10 on the desk my first day out for the housekeeping. I always receive exceptionally prompt service, extra toiletries and water bottles without having to ask, and the room completely spotless. The maid is required to tidy the room; I don't expect my coffee maker to be cleaned, laundry to be folded, and so on.

A small tip at the beginning of these stays is just good business for me on my end.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 5:47 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Who says the contractor isn't using Federal rates? More than likely the contractor is and is paying below that to the employees and pocketing (tax free) the difference. That's why reporting the employer/Federal contractor to the contracting agency's Inspector General is important.
I know. it's not known what the contractor billed the Federal Govt. I suspected that too. I considered reporting them. But it's a separate issue from tipping. The two are linked by an employer lining its pocket by not paying its employees. If housekeeping staff is underpaid, they should be paid better. Tipping is not the solution. Employers do pay gratuity to their employees in many parts of the world. Gratuity is not just for low paying jobs. A doctor, an engineer, a professor, all are paid gratuity.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Yaatri
I know. it's not known what the contractor billed the Federal Govt. I suspected that too. I considered reporting them. But it's a separate issue from tipping. The two are linked by an employer lining its pocket by not paying its employees. If housekeeping staff is underpaid, they should be paid better. Tipping is not the solution. Employers do pay gratuity to their employees in many parts of the world. Gratuity is not just for low paying jobs. A doctor, an engineer, a professor, all are paid gratuity.
But, not in the USA. So, if you don't tip, just understand that the minimum wage employee (or thereabouts) takes the hit.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 7:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
But, not in the USA. So, if you don't tip, just understand that the minimum wage employee (or thereabouts) takes the hit.
I've got to keep this in mind myself.. but its the service industry which the government knows that workers are collecting tips that are mainly affected..

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
I'm sure that must make you liable for unlimited damages under the Helms-Burton act Being Canadian can't be a defence, surely.
Different being a Canadian than being an American travelling to Cuba.. Cubans actually welcome us!
Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I don't know what you are disagreeing to. .
Giving a tip is a choice. You choose to tip. You are not obligated to tip.

I have no idea what housekeeping is paid. I doubt that it's minimum wage. Even if it is it's little justification for a tip. Car rental agent is paid about the same amount. Gas station cashiers, Seven Eleven emplyoees and many others are paid about minimum wage.
If their employer feels housekeeping deserve to be paid more, they should pay more. Why force them to depend on tips?
Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:02 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Not particularly relevant to housekeeping though. The majority of guests do not tip. Tips are therefore not expected. No-one is taking a hit. You simply cannot begin to compare this with, for example, restaurant servers - a completely different category. Don't start with your "this is how we do things in the USA". You can speak for yourself on this one, but you're not in charge of speaking for the rest of us.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by User Name
Not particularly relevant to housekeeping though. The majority of guests do not tip. Tips are therefore not expected. No-one is taking a hit. You simply cannot begin to compare this with, for example, restaurant servers - a completely different category. Don't start with your "this is how we do things in the USA". You can speak for yourself on this one, but you're not in charge of speaking for the rest of us.
Agreed.. no hit taken per posters above..

But the tips actually means something to chambermaids, because they don't expect tips usually..
Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:25 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro

But the tips actually means something to chambermaids, because they don't expect tips usually..
Completely agree - because it isn't the norm. Common - yes, but not the norm, so it does get noticed.

On a seperate note - I just object to people trying to tell the rest of us how to behave and then criticize and name-call if we don't behave like them.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:27 pm
Suspended

Completely agree - because it isn't the norm. Common - yes, but not the norm, so it does get noticed.

On a seperate note - I just object to people trying to tell the rest of us how to behave and then criticize and name-call if we don't behave like them.
Typically, I like to be generous against the grain. Tipping the housekeeping staff is money well spent.. and I notice a deep sense of appreciation from the staff.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:33 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

A hundred dollar bill could mean something to many people. But that's not a reason to hand them out.

I agree wholeheartedly. it's one thing when someone wants to tip, quite another to try to make pronouncement about others if they chose not to tip.

Typically, I like to be generous against the grain. Tipping the housekeeping staff is money well spent.. and I notice a deep sense of appreciation from the staff.
Nothing wrong with being generous. I have tipped people who I feel have been deserving. But I don't look down upon those who are not generous in the same situations I am.

BTW I would show you a deep sense of appreciation, and even dedicate a smiley to you if you would be generous to me.

Last edited by Yaatri; Jan 8, 2012 at 8:46 pm
Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:48 pm
Suspended

A hundred dollar bill could mean something to many people. But that's not a reason to hand them out.
Not sure why you've mentioned $100 bills.. I certainly don't do that..

I give because I want to.. others don't have to follow my lead, and I don't expect anyone to follow what I do, just because I tip the chambermaids..

Contrary, I would hope for the opposite, as I like to do the unconventional.. that's my style..
Old Jan 8, 2012, 11:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Not sure why you've mentioned $100 bills.. I certainly don't do that..

I give because I want to.. others don't have to follow my lead, and I don't expect anyone to follow what I do, just because I tip the chambermaids..

Contrary, I would hope for the opposite, as I like to do the unconventional.. that's my style..
Any tip would be appreciated. The bigger the tip the more it would be appreciated. The point I was making is that one can not cite appreciation from housekeeping staff as the reason for tipping.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 10:31 pm
Suspended

Any tip would be appreciated. The bigger the tip the more it would be appreciated. The point I was making is that one can not cite appreciation from housekeeping staff as the reason for tipping.
Ok..

It may not be a public reason..

Its a personal reason I give to myself for tipping.. which I should have given more clarity to..
Old Aug 28, 2015, 8:33 pm

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but since there was already one I didn't want to create a new one.

I realize in recent experiences of staying in hotels in the US (NYC, San Francisco, Chicago) that housekeeping didn't replenish one item of my amenity suite (usually, shower gel). This happened daily for my usually week-long stays.

Is housekeeping expecting me to 'notice' that I've run out of the item, only to trigger a call to replenish, and 'expect' a tip when they deliver the item? Usually, when I do so I find that instead of just bringing me a bottle, they bring a couple of bottles.

Is this a way that housekeeping can solicit tips more directly? (I'm genuinely interested to find out and not trying to be cynical here...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.