Search

Tipping housekeeping.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2016, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by quan98
Why on top of the used towels?

Does one leave tip daily or upon checkout? If the latter, is it the daily rate multiplied by how many days stayed?
I tip daily as they know you are going to tip. After day 3 they might just think you are a cheapskate and not ever going to tip so you don't get that third fluffy bath towel. Also, you might have a different housekeeper each day so some miss out.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 11:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I tip daily as they know you are going to tip. After day 3 they might just think you are a cheapskate and not ever going to tip so you don't get that third fluffy bath towel. Also, you might have a different housekeeper each day so some miss out.
Tipping in Oz? Isn't that frowned upon?
Old Dec 9, 2016, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Tipping in Oz? Isn't that frowned upon?
It isn't a standard thing but nobody would ever say no I am sure. What Aussie wouldn't want extra beer money?

Actually, I was talking about when I go overseas.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 12:12 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
I can't imagine even a 2* hotel refusing to give an extra towel because you didn't tip!
Old Dec 9, 2016, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eigenvector
I can't imagine even a 2* hotel refusing to give an extra towel because you didn't tip!
I can imagine it. Extra towels means more laundry which means more cost to the hotel.

I tip once on first day and ask for extra towels. I then expect them to be given each day without having to ask regularly.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 4:47 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
I can imagine it. Extra towels means more laundry which means more cost to the hotel.

I tip once on first day and ask for extra towels. I then expect them to be given each day without having to ask regularly.
Why are you trying to bribe the maids to give you extra towels? Aren't two of each enough? It's bad for the hotel (adds cost) and bad for the environment.

And why stoop to name-calling those who don't tip housekeeping? You do realize this is far from a norm, unlike tipping waitstaff in the US for example. In the US probably half or less tip housekeeping, so it's far from expected. (Source: the many surveys on travel blogs plus personal experience from Mrs UN who works in that part of the industry).
Old Dec 9, 2016, 6:18 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Well, this discussion has certainly made me feel less guilty for the times that I forgot to tip housekeeping or have no cash on me (which is increasingly common). But still, I'd far rather tip someone who makes my bed and cleans my bathroom, than someone who simply carries a plate of food 20' from the kitchen and places it on my table. Perhaps society (or North America at least) should reexamine its priorities
Old Dec 9, 2016, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Low Roller
Well, this discussion has certainly made me feel less guilty for the times that I forgot to tip housekeeping or have no cash on me (which is increasingly common). But still, I'd far rather tip someone who makes my bed and cleans my bathroom, than someone who simply carries a plate of food 20' from the kitchen and places it on my table. Perhaps society (or North America at least) should reexamine its priorities
Both of those services should be priced into the cost and not need tips. However at least in the US they are able to classify all wait staff as tipped employees to pay them below minimum wage. While i know that still happens with some housekeeping i don't think its anywhere near as common. I know when i was talking to my cab driver in Hawaii he said that housekeeping gets paid $25+ an hour there.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
I stay in cheap hotels and always see housekeeping tip envelopes. They stay empty.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 2:08 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by User Name
Why are you trying to bribe the maids to give you extra towels? Aren't two of each enough? It's bad for the hotel (adds cost) and bad for the environment.

And why stoop to name-calling those who don't tip housekeeping? You do realize this is far from a norm, unlike tipping waitstaff in the US for example. In the US probably half or less tip housekeeping, so it's far from expected. (Source: the many surveys on travel blogs plus personal experience from Mrs UN who works in that part of the industry).
I agree, tipping housekeeping is definitely not "expected" like it is for waitstaff, even in the US. It's a nice gesture, but no one will think twice if you don't.

Originally Posted by Force951
Both of those services should be priced into the cost and not need tips. However at least in the US they are able to classify all wait staff as tipped employees to pay them below minimum wage.
That depends on the state. This practice is not allowed in California, where waitstaff get at least the state's minimum wage, which is one of the highest in the country, plus tips.

While i know that still happens with some housekeeping i don't think its anywhere near as common. I know when i was talking to my cab driver in Hawaii he said that housekeeping gets paid $25+ an hour there.
$25/hr sounds like a lot, even for Hawaii. But I guess it's possible at a fancy place.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Force951
when i was talking to my cab driver in Hawaii he said that housekeeping gets paid $25+ an hour there.
That would mean they earn around $50,000 a year.
I don't believe that.
In reality it's probably closer to $30,000, as indicated here:

http://city-salaries.careertrends.co...onolulu-Hawaii
Old Dec 10, 2016, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I've never tipped for housekeeping at a hotel nor could I ever fathom doing so. Absurd.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 3:56 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
I've never tipped for housekeeping at a hotel nor could I ever fathom doing so. Absurd.
You may choose not to tip them, but I don't see how it is absurd. They are low paid employees, providing you with a valuable service, and they have unsupervised access to all of your personal belongings, just a few good reasons to be nice.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
I usually leave a dollar on the pillow or under the lights near my bed every day of my stay. As big of a mess as I make, I feel I should leave more.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Two are not enough because as a female I use one for my body and the other one for my long hair. My husband then would like a dry towel so that is the 3rd.

I wouldn't care if the hotel charge was higher for a 3rd towel.

There is more things going wrong with the world's environment than a 3rd towel.

So calling someone a cheapskate is name calling?

Last edited by Annalisa12; Dec 10, 2016 at 7:47 pm Reason: Added I don't care paying for a 3rd towel in the hotel room rate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.