Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tipping housekeeping.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2015, 8:38 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but since there was already one I didn't want to create a new one.

I realize in recent experiences of staying in hotels in the US (NYC, San Francisco, Chicago) that housekeeping didn't replenish one item of my amenity suite (usually, shower gel). This happened daily for my usually week-long stays.

Is housekeeping expecting me to 'notice' that I've run out of the item, only to trigger a call to replenish, and 'expect' a tip when they deliver the item? Usually, when I do so I find that instead of just bringing me a bottle, they bring a couple of bottles.

Is this a way that housekeeping can solicit tips more directly? (I'm genuinely interested to find out and not trying to be cynical here...)
I don't see this as housekeeping trying to solicit tips. Perhaps their carts were not loaded properly. I suggest calling housekeeping as soon as you see that an item is missing from your usual toiletries selection instead of waiting for a week.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
I realize in recent experiences of staying in hotels in the US (NYC, San Francisco, Chicago) that housekeeping didn't replenish one item of my amenity suite (usually, shower gel). This happened daily for my usually week-long stays.

Is housekeeping expecting me to 'notice' that I've run out of the item, only to trigger a call to replenish, and 'expect' a tip when they deliver the item? Usually, when I do so I find that instead of just bringing me a bottle, they bring a couple of bottles.

Is this a way that housekeeping can solicit tips more directly? (I'm genuinely interested to find out and not trying to be cynical here...)
My practice is to leave a tip in the room for housekeeping. I would not tip for bringing something that should have been supplied but I guess that, should it happen, I would tip for bringing something additional.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 11:10 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it is, it never works with me. If I need amenities that were not provided, or anything else that should be in the room, I ask for them and would never think of tipping when they arrive.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 3:42 pm

Programs: Global Entry, United Silver, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold

Is housekeeping expecting me to 'notice' that I've run out of the item, only to trigger a call to replenish, and 'expect' a tip when they deliver the item?
I do tip out of courtesy, but I've never really been able to verify that there's a direct correlation between tipping and getting better service. I usually travel alone for business and am a very neat person -- I put my stuff away, and don't even leave smelly food containers in the trash can because I'd rather not smell them myself all night. So when housekeeping comes in all they really have to deal with is the bed, towels, a little bit of trash, and replenishing any amenities. Even at that, I can't count the number of times that I've come back into the room after work and discovered missing amenities. I don't expect perfection, but how hard can it be? Why should I pay extra if housekeeping is going to forget stuff anyway? Sometimes they piss me off and I stop tipping for that stay, but I try hard not to do that -- I'm a regular at some hotels and don't want to become known as the cheap grump. :-)
Old Nov 25, 2015, 10:20 pm

Programs: SPG gold; otherwise just base in everything so far, but learning!
So I normally leave a few dollars a day for the housekeeping staff. Perhaps not on a single night's stay where I may have made up the bed, etc.

However, what is the protocol when you decline daily housekeeping.

I stayed five nights in Orlando at the Walt Disney World Swan. Some issues there, but that's not relevant to this thread.

In the room, there was the standard card stating the environmental benefits of not having daily housekeeping. It offered 500 Starpoints a night or a 5 dollar food and beverage credit for each night I declined housekeeping. We took the offer.

So would I just leave a small tip seeing as we have them only one night during our stay?

Just curious...
Old Nov 26, 2015, 1:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Just do what you feel is right. There are no rules. If you want to leave a tip, then do, if you don't, then you shouldn't let the 'tip-police' guilt you into giving one.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 3:16 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Just do what you feel is right. There are no rules. If you want to leave a tip, then do, if you don't, then you shouldn't let the 'tip-police' guilt you into giving one.

If it is common practice then one would be more inclined to conform to this social norm.

Before reading FT it never occurred to me that this was (fairly) common practice. In fact I'd never even considered it at all.

(Today i still don't tip @ hotels unless I have spare change at the end of a stay...which is rare as I avoid cash a.m.a.p.... , despite being a generous tipper in every other sense)
Old Nov 26, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Maybe this just isn't a "thing" in the UK. I would never ever even consider tipping housekeeping in a hotel. I pay for a nice clean room and that's what I get when I check in. The "do not disturb" sign then goes on the door, and remains there until I check out.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 9:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I don't think it's a thing anywhere (except possibly the US). I never tip in hotels, period.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I would only tip if I made a particularly great mess and it was cleared up for me. Otherwise, having a room cleaned daily is part of the room rate.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Agree....

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I would only tip if I made a particularly great mess and it was cleared up for me. Otherwise, having a room cleaned daily is part of the room rate.
...if me and a bunch of buddies have a suite and make a right disaster of it, we have no problem leaving $20.
But for regular business stays...nope I expect a clean room to be included in my rate.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
I don't tip housekeeping staff.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 1:18 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Next thing you know, you will have to slip the desk a $29.00 for a decent room..
Old Nov 27, 2015, 1:28 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
Originally Posted by obscure2k
I find this thread fascinating. Do the folks who refuse to tip housekeepers also refuse to tip bellmen and doormen? I often see folks in hotels tipping for these services and have wondered if it was because the guest was visible as opposed to the housekeeping staff who rarely have any interaction with the guest. @:-)
This article claims that 30% don't tip housekeeping.

http://www.oyster.com/articles/44331...kers-get-paid/

I figure if I can afford $200 - $300 for a nice room, then it isn't going to kill me to be nice and leave a $5 tip each day. They work hard. It's the resort and parking fees that bug me. Those should be included in the room charge.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 4:26 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I don't tip housekeeping staff.
This, even though I take care of everyone else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.