FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1282073-old-timers-airline-quiz-discussion.html)

jlemon Sep 3, 2012 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 19244853)
Thanks again for the great questions, jlemon. I'll try a few more this morning and if nobody has answered some of the other questions by later today, I'll take a stab at them then.

Good Morning, Seat 2A! Here are the answers on this Labor Day holiday:

5) Air New Zealand is correct! Here's the actual routing:

TE 1: LGW-LAX-PPT-AKL Equip: B747 Remarks: operated on Thursdays and Sundays only

8) An excellent guess! And the carrier was actually one of Republic's predecessors, being Southern Airways ("Route of the Aristocrats"). Here are the complete routings:

From Mobile (MOB) to Gulfport (GPT) - four (4) daily flights except where noted:

SO 133: ATL-MOB-GPT
SO 174: CLT-GSP-ATL-MOB-GPT-MSY-MEM-STL
SO 717: LGA-IAD-CSG-MOB-GPT-MSY
SO 637: DTW-BNA-BHM-MOB-GPT (op'd X6)

From Gulfport (GPT) to Mobile (MOB) - six (6) daily flights except where noted:

SO 630: MSY-GPT-MOB-BHM-BNA-DTW (op'd X7)
SO 140: GPT-MOB-ATL (op'd X7)
SO 200: MSY-GPT-MOB-ATL (op'd on 7 only)
SO 136: GPT-MOB-ATL-GSP-CLT
SO 321: STL-MEM-MSY-GPT-MOB-CSG-IAD-LGA
SO 142: STL-MEM-MSY-GPT-MOB-ATL
SO 520: MEM-MSY-GPT-MOB-VPS-DHN-ATL (op'd X6)

And the equipment? The iconic DC9 series 10 in every case.

It's always very interesting to see how many airlines back in the day operated "milk runs" with jet equipment. And I would have loved to have flown on SO 321 from St. Louis to New York LGA on a beautiful day with the six (6) intermediate stops en route!

9) Believe it or not, it was actually Trans-Texas Airways (TT), the predecessor of Texas International (TI), back in the late 60's when this carrier first initiated operations with DC9 series 10 equipment. However, the first class cabins on TTa's Nines were not long for this world as TT quickly converted these aircraft to an all coach configuration which they called "standard" (S) class. Some time ago, we had discussed whether TTa had ever offered a first class section on their DC9s.....and I finally found an old timetable that has "FY" noted next to the flight number.

10) You got it! Carnival Airlines (KW) operated daily B737-400 service on a red eye flight from LAX to FLL with continuing, no change of plane service on to SJU. And Carnival was also flying daily nonstop A300 service between LAX and MIA at this same time.

Well, I mentioned Labor Day earlier so that's what I'll do at this point: go labor! my significant other has mentioned that our brick front entrance could greatly benefit from a good pressure washing.....so I think I'll fix a nice Cajun bloody mary (it's almost 1300 hours local here) and have at it!

WHBM Sep 3, 2012 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Skylink USA
Oh, I started a mess by mentioning Bangor and BCAL!

No, not at all. I regard it as quite genuine :)

Originally Posted by jlemon
As you well know, my quiz items only deal with scheduled passenger operations! And therein lies the question: was BCal also approved to board and deplane pax at BGR as well?

Well, something to comment here is a difference between US and European scheduled services. In recent years this have tended to disappear, but in past decades there were two levels of service in Europe, the "standard" schedules, and the "holiday flights". These, unlike US practice, were very regular, weekly (or multiple-weekly) services, which you could just go into a travel agent and buy from the flyer straight off, which showed a regular operation, departure times, timetables, etc. They weren't in the OAG, or the European equivalent, the ABC, because they weren't IATA carriers, but they operated on a licence for a "regular operation", as opposed to individual charters. There was never, as far as I can tell, any operation like this in the USA, where charters just seem to be one-offs, for the military, sports teams, etc, using old aircraft as required. In contrast, the holiday flight operators in Europe achieved some of the highest flight time per year on their type of aircraft, on aircraft often newer than British Airways.

To me, if there was a timetable in the travel agency with regular flights you could just book, that's a scheduled operation. Any of you airliner buffs maybe wondered how carriers like Monarch from the UK managed to buy brand-new 757s in the first year of production, or similar purchases. These are the sort of flights they were used on.

An early name was Laker, making their transition from just charters, who were prevented for some years from starting their Skytrain service, but who used their DC10s bought for the service on exactly this sort of operation. Laker bought a number of DC10-10 models, which didn't have the range for Florida or the west coast, so they stopped at Bangor to refuel, but also changed crews, and the pax went through US immigration there.

jlemon's question was set in 1983, and Laker had gone bankrupt in 1982. British Caledonian immediately took over their holiday flights and much of their fleet, the One-Elevens and a couple of the DC10-10s. If you thought B Cal only had the intercontinental DC10 models, here's what else they had:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Briti...cd1f294dc449d4

an ex-Laker aircraft.

So how does Bangor come into it ? Well, they had a full flight programme for two dedicated aircraft full time, which operated from London Gatwick, but also Manchester and Prestwick, to Bangor, and then to a range of points. 1983's timetable featured Orlando, Tampa, LAX and Oakland (sold as San Francisco), as well as points served non-stop like Toronto.

So how did all those B Cal crews come to be at Bangor ? Well, they typically operated London to Bangor, arriving lunchtime, where the passengers got off for immigration while there was a crew change. A day or two later the crew picked up the next flight and operated say Bangor-Orlando-Bangor, getting back late evening when there was another crew change. A day or so later again they picked up the next flight, maybe coming from LAX, and took it home to London. Next week, they were likely on a schedule nonstop to Houston or wherever.

Oh. One last point. This will hopefully not have my good friend jlemon in apoplexy !

And therein lies the question: was BCal also approved to board and deplane pax at BGR as well?
Well of course. They had to deplane on the outbound to go through immigration, and then board again :)

Incidentally, regarding that freighter flight. B Cal had daily DC10 flights from London to Houston, and carried a huge amount of freight, much for the oil industry. This was so heavy that they operated additional 707 freighter flights. These transited through Bangor as well, with the crew change, and as loads were heavier westbound than east they saw a chance to move some of that bulk seafood, much of which went on from Gatwick to France and Belgium on other B Cal flights.

UK aviation still has lots of tales about "Bangor days", because British Caley (pronounced "Cally", the universal name for them over here), were not the only operator of such flights. And this is about a passenger they did take to Bangor. A somewhat-dim passenger, travelling London to Oakland with a reservation at maybe the Sheraton in San Francisco. Gets to Bangor, off the plane, through immigration, collect bags from carousel and through customs. Then the bags were normally collected again but he had completely misunderstood the multiple instructions about what was going on, took his bag out of the terminal, and got a cab to "The Sheraton". Well there is one, it seems, cab takes him there, goes in, no reservation of course. Never mind, they have spare rooms, so he checks in, has a shower, takes a nap (possibly interrupted by a departing DC10), then later that evening goes downstairs and enquires at the front desk "where are the Cablecars .... ?"

WHBM Sep 3, 2012 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 19237504)
2) At one point, British Caledonian provided shuttle service between London Heathrow (LHR) and London Gatwick (LGW) airports. Identify the aircraft type used for this service.

I think it may interest at least one of the Rotary regulars here, but this little web-published booklet about the details of this service appeared a few years ago

http://www.airpixbycaz.co.uk/cazsite...ks_lgw_lhr.pdf

Sorry if it loads a bit slow. Page 9 may have some familiar names.

GRALISTAIR Sep 3, 2012 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 19245090)
And the equipment? The iconic DC9 series 10 in every case.

It's always very interesting to see how many airlines back in the day operated "milk runs" with jet equipment. And I would have loved to have flown on SO 321 from St. Louis to New York LGA on a beautiful day with the six (6) intermediate stops en route!

OMG positively orgasmic - better than the SEA-JNU run on AS - only the HNL-GUM formerly CO and now UA would be better

Well, I mentioned Labor Day earlier so that's what I'll do at this point: go labor! my significant other has mentioned that our brick front entrance could greatly benefit from a good pressure washing.....so I think I'll fix a nice Cajun bloody mary (it's almost 1300 hours local here) and have at it!

I love your style

Seat 2A Sep 3, 2012 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 19245090)

Back in the 1970s, milk runs were my best friend. All I wanted to do was maximize my time in the air, aboard as many different airlines as possible. With absolutely zero interest in flying aboard private planes, I was all about flying aboard airliners, taking "air tours" across this great broad continent of ours.

Back in 1977, I logged the following flight in First Class aboard Alaska 65, the milk run between Seattle and Anchorage. Today's flight 65 is but a shadow of its former glorious routing, which went SEA-KTN-WRG-PSG-JNU-YAK-CDV-ANC aboard a 727-100 when I flew it. The entire journey took a little over 8 hours and offered full breakfast and a sandwich plate enroute.

Another great flight was had aboard a Hughes Airwest DC-9-30 between Salt Lake City and Los Angeles stopping in PDX, RDM, LMF, SMF, SFO and MRY enroute.

Hughes Airwest also came through on a roundtrip flight between Denver and Seattle in 1980 routing DEN-GTF-FCA-GEG-SEA, returning SEA-GEG-LWS-BOI-TWF-SLC-DEN aboard a pair of DC-9-30s.

The only transcon milkrun I ever did was aboard Eastern in 1977 from Portland, OR to New York-JFK stopping in SEA, STL, CLT and RDU along the way.

One flight I never did get a chance to fly but always wish I had was NW 109, a 727-200 departing Newark at 7:15a headed for Seattle with intermediate stops at PHL, CLE, ORD,MSP, JMS, BIS,BIL, HLN, MSO, GEG and PDX. Arrival in Seattle was twelve hours later at 7:19pm. A breakfast and three snacks were served enroute. Back in those golden days of jet travel in America, a snack was often larger than the so-called "meals" offered on today's services.

I don't know if there's any interest on this thread for such things (in which case simply ignore them) but here are a couple of links to trip reports I wrote describing some of those flights from the 1970s...

Denver to Honolulu via Canada in 1976 (On a trip that was supposed to go to Mexico!)

DENVER TO ALASKA ROUNDTRIP via SO, TI, DL, AA, AS, WC, CP, PW and UA

jlemon Sep 4, 2012 7:26 am

Originally Posted by WHBM (Post 19245852)
No, not at all. I regard it as quite genuine :)

Well, something to comment here is a difference between US and European scheduled services. In recent years this have tended to disappear, but in past decades there were two levels of service in Europe, the "standard" schedules, and the "holiday flights". These, unlike US practice, were very regular, weekly (or multiple-weekly) services, which you could just go into a travel agent and buy from the flyer straight off, which showed a regular operation, departure times, timetables, etc. They weren't in the OAG, or the European equivalent, the ABC, because they weren't IATA carriers, but they operated on a licence for a "regular operation", as opposed to individual charters. There was never, as far as I can tell, any operation like this in the USA, where charters just seem to be one-offs, for the military, sports teams, etc, using old aircraft as required. In contrast, the holiday flight operators in Europe achieved some of the highest flight time per year on their type of aircraft, on aircraft often newer than British Airways.

To me, if there was a timetable in the travel agency with regular flights you could just book, that's a scheduled operation. Any of you airliner buffs maybe wondered how carriers like Monarch from the UK managed to buy brand-new 757s in the first year of production, or similar purchases. These are the sort of flights they were used on.

An early name was Laker, making their transition from just charters, who were prevented for some years from starting their Skytrain service, but who used their DC10s bought for the service on exactly this sort of operation. Laker bought a number of DC10-10 models, which didn't have the range for Florida or the west coast, so they stopped at Bangor to refuel, but also changed crews, and the pax went through US immigration there.

jlemon's question was set in 1983, and Laker had gone bankrupt in 1982. British Caledonian immediately took over their holiday flights and much of their fleet, the One-Elevens and a couple of the DC10-10s. If you thought B Cal only had the intercontinental DC10 models, here's what else they had:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Briti...cd1f294dc449d4

an ex-Laker aircraft.

So how does Bangor come into it ? Well, they had a full flight programme for two dedicated aircraft full time, which operated from London Gatwick, but also Manchester and Prestwick, to Bangor, and then to a range of points. 1983's timetable featured Orlando, Tampa, LAX and Oakland (sold as San Francisco), as well as points served non-stop like Toronto.

So how did all those B Cal crews come to be at Bangor ? Well, they typically operated London to Bangor, arriving lunchtime, where the passengers got off for immigration while there was a crew change. A day or two later the crew picked up the next flight and operated say Bangor-Orlando-Bangor, getting back late evening when there was another crew change. A day or so later again they picked up the next flight, maybe coming from LAX, and took it home to London. Next week, they were likely on a schedule nonstop to Houston or wherever.

Oh. One last point. This will hopefully not have my good friend jlemon in apoplexy !

Well of course. They had to deplane on the outbound to go through immigration, and then board again :)

Incidentally, regarding that freighter flight. B Cal had daily DC10 flights from London to Houston, and carried a huge amount of freight, much for the oil industry. This was so heavy that they operated additional 707 freighter flights. These transited through Bangor as well, with the crew change, and as loads were heavier westbound than east they saw a chance to move some of that bulk seafood, much of which went on from Gatwick to France and Belgium on other B Cal flights.

UK aviation still has lots of tales about "Bangor days", because British Caley (pronounced "Cally", the universal name for them over here), were not the only operator of such flights. And this is about a passenger they did take to Bangor. A somewhat-dim passenger, travelling London to Oakland with a reservation at maybe the Sheraton in San Francisco. Gets to Bangor, off the plane, through immigration, collect bags from carousel and through customs. Then the bags were normally collected again but he had completely misunderstood the multiple instructions about what was going on, took his bag out of the terminal, and got a cab to "The Sheraton". Well there is one, it seems, cab takes him there, goes in, no reservation of course. Never mind, they have spare rooms, so he checks in, has a shower, takes a nap (possibly interrupted by a departing DC10), then later that evening goes downstairs and enquires at the front desk "where are the Cablecars .... ?"

Excellent commentary, WHBM, and very much appreciated. It appears that BGR figured prominently with regard to BCal's operations to the US, which is something I quite frankly was not aware of! Several additional questions: Did BCal ever operate scheduled B747 service to the US and what course of action did BA take specifically with regard to BCal's US services following the acquisition of BCal by British Airways?

And, oh by the way, my apoplexy completed disappeared after the first several sips of that truly stellar Cajun bloody mary yesterday afternoon!

jlemon Sep 4, 2012 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 19247752)
Back in the 1970s, milk runs were my best friend. All I wanted to do was maximize my time in the air, aboard as many different airlines as possible. With absolutely zero interest in flying aboard private planes, I was all about flying aboard airliners, taking "air tours" across this great broad continent of ours.

Back in 1977, I logged the following flight in First Class aboard Alaska 65, the milk run between Seattle and Anchorage. Today's flight 65 is but a shadow of its former glorious routing, which went SEA-KTN-WRG-PSG-JNU-YAK-CDV-ANC aboard a 727-100 when I flew it. The entire journey took a little over 8 hours and offered full breakfast and a sandwich plate enroute.

Another great flight was had aboard a Hughes Airwest DC-9-30 between Salt Lake City and Los Angeles stopping in PDX, RDM, LMF, SMF, SFO and MRY enroute.

Hughes Airwest also came through on a roundtrip flight between Denver and Seattle in 1980 routing DEN-GTF-FCA-GEG-SEA, returning SEA-GEG-LWS-BOI-TWF-SLC-DEN aboard a pair of DC-9-30s.

The only transcon milkrun I ever did was aboard Eastern in 1977 from Portland, OR to New York-JFK stopping in SEA, STL, CLT and RDU along the way.

One flight I never did get a chance to fly but always wish I had was NW 109, a 727-200 departing Newark at 7:15a headed for Seattle with intermediate stops at PHL, CLE, ORD,MSP, JMS, BIS,BIL, HLN, MSO, GEG and PDX. Arrival in Seattle was twelve hours later at 7:19pm. A breakfast and three snacks were served enroute. Back in those golden days of jet travel in America, a snack was often larger than the so-called "meals" offered on today's services.

I don't know if there's any interest on this thread for such things (in which case simply ignore them) but here are a couple of links to trip reports I wrote describing some of those flights from the 1970s...

Denver to Honolulu via Canada in 1976 (On a trip that was supposed to go to Mexico!)

DENVER TO ALASKA ROUNDTRIP via SO, TI, DL, AA, AS, WC, CP, PW and UA

One of my favorite "milk runs" was operated by Continental. I was attending the University of Texas at Austin at the time and my parents lived in southern California (my hometown is Pasadena in SoCal).

CO operated flights with the following routings: MIA-IAH-AUS-MAF-ELP-PHX-LAX as well as IAH-AUS-MAF-ELP-TUS-LAX and a late night flight IAH-AUS-MAF-ELP-TUS-PHX-LAX. Equipment was usually a B727-200 although CO also flew the route at one point with a B720B. I flew all of these routings a number of times between AUS (and once from IAH) and LAX during my time at U.T. Austin.....

Cattle Airlines Sep 4, 2012 9:03 am

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 19249608)
Excellent commentary, WHBM, and very much appreciated. .....Several additional questions: Did BCal ever operate scheduled B747 service to the US and what course of action did BA take specifically with regard to BCal's US services following the acquisition of BCal by British Airways?
!

Quiz questions or asked to learn about British Caledonian?

747: Yes. Occasional equipment substitution and LAX service.
BA: Continued most of them but ended some, such as STL service. Continued from Gatwick. Flown as BA. Part of the airline continued as charter services, flying under the Caledonian name.

I had the chance to fly on B.Cal for only one round trip. It was on a BAC One-Eleven.

WHBM Sep 4, 2012 11:01 am

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 19249608)
Did BCal ever operate scheduled B747 service to the US and what course of action did BA take specifically with regard to BCal's US services following the acquisition of BCal by British Airways?

Originally Posted by Cattle Airlines
747: Yes. Occasional equipment substitution and LAX service.
BA: Continued most of them but ended some, such as STL service. Continued from Gatwick. Flown as BA. Part of the airline continued as charter services, flying under the Caledonian name.

B Cal didn't start to build up 747s until fairly late on, my records show that JFK was the North American flight that went to the 747, then subsequent aircraft took over the Hong Kong and Tokyo flights. LAX had been operated with a DC10 from when it started in 1982, when Laker went under and the licence became available.

After the takeover there wasn't a huge change, BA consolidated the JFK and LAX operations into their own Heathrow operations (of course, this was at the time that Virgin were starting to expand their operations so soon there was a UK competitor again), while the other operations just carried on for many years, from Gatwick, using the same DC10s as before, repainted as BA. The old Bermuda Agreement prevented much of a change on these.

Regarding the holiday flights, the "new" Caledonian had nothing to do with B Cal, it was the old BA holiday flights subsidiary, British Airtours (long before this had been BEA Airtours, using Comets), only because BA got the intellectual property rights to the old Caledonian Airways (a B Cal constituent) name that had been unused since 1971. There was felt to be a lot of goodwill in the old Caledonian name, the livery with the golden lion tail, and in particular the stewardesses with the tartan skirts ! Meanwhile the B Cal holiday flights had been rebadged as Cal Air in 1985, and were not part of the sale to BA but left independent with the old B Cal owners, so they were renamed yet again as Novair, those old DC10-10s still carrying on with the same routes (through Bangor) with their fourth name in 10 years. Both Caledonian and Novair later went through multiple further corporate reorganisations, and have both ended up as part of Thomas Cook Airways.

By the way, those two DC10-10s are still about, now part of the FedEx fleet in the USA, so if you see the right one (N10060 and N40061), do give it a little wave from me, as part of the British Caley (and Laker) Gatwick heritage, from long ago and far away.

jlemon Sep 4, 2012 12:38 pm

7) Also in the spring of 1981, this airline provide service between Houston (IAH) and Clear Lake City, TX (CLC). Name the airline, the aircraft type they used and the number of round trip flights flown every weekday.

The above question is still up for grabs.....

Cattle Airlines Sep 4, 2012 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 19251715)
The above questions highlighted in bold are still up for grabs.....

12) In the summer of 1968, this airline offered a fare they called the "Consecutive Executive". For a flat charge of $65.00, one could fly as much as one wanted for five (5) consecutive days on a Monday through Friday basis. The only catch was that this carrier's international routes were not included in the deal. However, the airline only served three somewhat obscure international destinations at the time. Name the air carrier that offered this special fare.

The answer is Mohawk Airlines, which was absorbed in Allegheny (USAir) and eventually America West (which took the U.S. Airways name)

I am reasonably certain of this so I will submit the next question. Hopefully, this will count because it does not involve jet aircraft.

In the mid 1980's, say September 4, 1984 if there needs to be a definitive date, what airline served JGP-IAH and what aircraft did they use? Hint: the aircraft could not carry anywhere near 19 passengers, the cutoff for not needing a flight attendant.

JGP is Greenway Plaza, Houston.
IAH is Houston Intercontinental Airport (now George Bush Intercontinental Airport)

WHBM Sep 5, 2012 4:03 am

Tremendous hour-long TV programme on BBC in Britain last night "Jet! When Britain ruled the skies", about UK aircraft programmes in the 1950s-60s, with extensive archive footage (plus shots inside the historic museum fleet at Duxford) of the Viscount, Comet, Britannia, VC10, etc. For once, competently put together, most commentary by old industry hands from that era. Just the sort of thing for this thread followers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPLdtPWERNg

Made it onto YouTube already. That's an interesting-looking 4-engined turboprop airliner in the foreground at 00.54, isn't it ? Any guesses what it is ?

jlemon Sep 5, 2012 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Cattle Airlines (Post 19254002)
The answer is Mohawk Airlines, which was absorbed in Allegheny (USAir) and eventually America West (which took the U.S. Airways name)

I am reasonably certain of this so I will submit the next question. Hopefully, this will count because it does not involve jet aircraft.

In the mid 1980's, say September 4, 1984 if there needs to be a definitive date, what airline served JGP-IAH and what aircraft did they use? Hint: the aircraft could not carry anywhere near 19 passengers, the cutoff for not needing a flight attendant.

JGP is Greenway Plaza, Houston.
IAH is Houston Intercontinental Airport (now George Bush Intercontinental Airport)

Mohawk is a very good guess as this local service carrier was known for offering these type of deals.

However, the airline was actually Trans-Texas Airways (TTa). The front cover of their August 1968 timetable had the message "We'll rent you a set of wheels all week for $65.00!". This message was repeated inside of their timetable along with the fine print concerning the "Consecutive Executive" offer, which was rather straightforward: fly as much as you like Monday through Friday on the TTa domestic route system for 65 bucks. Three international destinations, being Monterey, Tampico and Veracruz in Mexico, were not included in the deal. And the fine print for the offer was accompanied by a photo of the main gear of a TTa DC-9-10 touching down (thus the reference to the wheels).

TTa also had weekend "fly as much as you like" deal around this same time: for a mere $25, one could fly as much as one wanted on their domestic routes on a Saturday and Sunday as long as you were on board your final TTa flight by 6:00pm on Sunday. So when I was in high school in the Houston area, I flew as much as I could on several weekends, with the goal of flying on as many DC-9 flights as possible (although I flew on several Convair 600 turboprop flights as well). My weekend jaunts on TTa took me from HOU to DAL (I went through DAL several times), MAF, ROW, ABQ, SAF, HOT, LIT, JBR, MEM, AUS, SAT, CRP, HRL, BTR and MSY. This means I've actually flown into such exotic locations as Santa Fe, NM, Roswell, NM and Hot Springs, AR in a DC-9! It was quite a bit of fun for a high school kid who was very interested in the airline industry.....

And as for the JGP-IAH question, I forget the name of the company but it was a helicopter operator (Executive Helicopters? Air Link? Lone Star Helicopters?) most likely flying a Bell 206L "Long Ranger" or Bell 222 rotorcraft.....

Cattle Airlines Sep 5, 2012 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 19256946)
Mohawk is a very good guess as this local service carrier was known for offering these type of deals.

However, the airline was actually Trans-Texas Airways (TTa). ...
And as for the JGP-IAH question, I forget the name of the company but it was a helicopter operator (Executive Helicopters? Air Link? Lone Star Helicopters?) most likely flying a Bell 206L "Long Ranger" or Bell 222 rotorcraft.....

:( I thought the term "Consecutive Executive" was used by Mohawk. Maybe not exclusively.

JGP-IAH was operated by Executive Air Link. They had a promotion in 1983 with Continental for a $30 one way segment between heliports in Houston to IAH when connecting with a Continental flight. This made it cheaper than a taxi and often faster. They initially used the Bell 222 but switched to 206L Long Rangers in early 1984.

Some of the heliports that they used are still there. Some are not. They used one in Allen Center in downtown Houston, Marriott Astrodome, Greenway Plaza, Town and Country (closed?), and Park Ten.

Cattle Airlines Sep 5, 2012 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 19251715)
The above questions highlighted in bold are still up for grabs....23) This airline operated Boeing 727-200 service at this time from Edmonton (YEG) and Calgary (YYC) to Phoenix (PHX). Name the carrier..

I don't know the answer.

Not Hughes Airwest. Not America West (which wasn't flying then). Not CP Air. Not Western. Not Frontier.

I wouldn't guess Pacific Western because they had mostly 737's. Air Canada was not strong in the west. Maybe Wardair Canada