FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1282073-old-timers-airline-quiz-discussion.html)

CubsFanJohn Oct 4, 2012 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 19440440)

http://images54.fotki.com/v563/photo...INESAD3-vi.jpg
First Class to Hawaii in the good old days

Well gang, I suspect we've reached the end of the line on this thread. I'd like to thank everyone who contributed questions and answers over the past year and hope you all get to add abundantly to your personal flight logs in the coming months. I understand some of you may be heading over to England for a get together with WHBM, and for any of you who do here's wishing you a good time and a chance to enjoy checking out some classic airliners.

I'm on my way down to Antonito, Colorado for a ride tomorrow aboard the Cumbres & Toltec narrow gauge railway. Next week I'll be riding the ferry across Lake Michigan, then on to a bedroom aboard Amtrak's Texas Eagle from Chicago down to Austin, and then possibly on to New Orleans and fly to Florida for another train ride. It'll be a busy autumn. Happy travels, all!

http://images42.fotki.com/v663/photo...FORWARD-vi.jpg
First Class to Hawaii in the good old days

Hope you enjoy my home area of Chicago:D I'll take a stab at a few of the questions in the morning that are still left.

jlemon Oct 5, 2012 8:55 am

Well, I may just have a few more questions and will attempt to post them this weekend.....

CubsFanJohn Oct 5, 2012 2:11 pm

I finally got around to doing this. Had a Phone Interview for a job and other stuff to do.

4. TWA, PanAm & BOAC. I know that several other Airlines in the past operated it but Qantas at the time was Operating the Southern Fiesta Route via Mexico City & Nassau, Air New Zeland wasn't operating to Europe yet,

13. United

15. Aloha Airlines

17. MaxJet. Didn't they apply for a SEA-PVG frequency back in 2007 or so IIRC?

19. JetAmerica Aircraft was a DC-9-80.

22. KMCI Kansas City International Airport, TWA used it. Due to security issues involved and the refusal of the city to rebuild the terminal TWA moved their Midwest hub to St. Louis.

25. I THINK this one was on Delta 747 on an ATL-IAD-LHR route with a PanAm Interchange at IAD.

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 19366559)

4. Name the airlines that provided either nonstop or direct service between London and Los Angeles.

13. “Life is a journey, travel it well”. What airline used this slogan?

15. This airline’s jets were known as “Funbirds”

17. This all-Business Class airline operated service to London Stanstead from Washington Dulles, New York-JFK, Los Angeles and Las Vegas. Name the airline and the aircraft used.

19. This airline commenced service on November 16, 1981, with a flight from Long Beach, CA to Chicago O'Hare. Name the airline and the aircraft used.

22. What airport was the “Terminal of The Future” located at? What airline used it?

25. After Pan American and TWA, this airline became the third US airline to offer scheduled trans-Atlantic service to London when it commenced service in 1970. Name the airline and what city it served London from.

miniliq Oct 5, 2012 10:48 pm

Just returned from a few days in SFO and vicinity, and need to tidy up one of the responses:

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 19377784)
And now to make an attempt at miniliq's question...

Now for a question of my own, involving the current world. I spent 90 minutes on the phone with an airline rep last night trying to change two flights in a ten-segment pseudo-mileage run itinerary I have planned for next weekend. The main proposed change was from a non-stop flight to a 5-stop flight between the same two cities, on the same airline. This 5-stop flight is one I've always wanted to experience -- it only flies twice a week, and at the risk of giving it away, it involves islands.

Alas, there were no seats available for my preferred date. Can you name the airline, equipment, and most of all, the stops?

This sounds an awful lot like Continental/Air Micronesia/United's Honolulu to Guam service. The big hint was when you mentioned islands, but who knows - maybe there's an island hopper in the Caribbean as well... It could even be aboard Alaska's flight 65 which currently routes SEA-KTN-WRG-PSG-JNU-ANC. Wrangell and Petersburg are on islands. But then that's a daily service. The old (and still current?) Air Mike routing was via Majuro, Kwajalein, Ponape, Truk and Guam but since you mentioned five stops I'd have to guess you'd be going to Palau or Yap. Still, there are no nonstops from Honolulu to those islands, are there? Maybe there's a five stopper to Manila? Anyway, that's my final answer, I guess - Honolulu to Manila aboard a United 737-800 routing via Majuro, Kwajalein, Ponape, Truk and Guam.

Close enough! I spent another hour the following night rebooking my trip for the middle of this month and have successfully included two "island-hopper" portions: HNL-MAJ-KWA-KSA-PNI-TKK-GUM on UA154 (the 5-stopper), then GUM-ROR-MNL on UA193 -- both 737-800s. By the time I'm home I should be over the 100k mark for this year, so we're burning some miles to go in F to SYD and back (via SIN and BKK) during December. And according to the latest schedule, we'll be on the 780 from MSY-LAX.

Happy travels to you -- and depending on your timing and plans, PM me if MSY is on your itinerary.

Seat 2A Oct 5, 2012 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 19442723)
Well, I may just have a few more questions and will attempt to post them this weekend.....

This thread had gone a full week with no activity (I don't believe that's ever happened before) and, given the diminished playing field, it certainly looked as if things had wound down for good. However, if questions continue to be answered - much less posted - well, I'm certainly happy to do my part to keep things rolling as well.

Originally Posted by CubsFanJohn (Post 19444648)
I finally got around to doing this. Had a Phone Interview for a job and other stuff to do.

4. Name the airlines that provided either nonstop or direct service between London and Los Angeles.

TWA, PanAm & BOAC. I know that several other Airlines in the past operated it but Qantas at the time was Operating the Southern Fiesta Route via Mexico City & Nassau, Air New Zeland wasn't operating to Europe yet,

As of March 1966, Pan American was the only airline operating a nonstop flight between London and LAX. TWA had a single direct flight but surprisingly BOAC was not listed at all. They instead routed LHR-LFK-SFO and beyond.

The following answers are all CORRECT!

13. “Life is a journey, travel it well”. What airline used this slogan? United

15. This airline’s jets were known as “Funbirds” Aloha

17. This all-Business Class airline operated service to London Stanstead from Washington Dulles, New York-JFK, Los Angeles and Las Vegas. Name the airline and the aircraft used. MaxJet The aircraft was a 767-200.

19. This airline commenced service on November 16, 1981, with a flight from Long Beach, CA to Chicago O'Hare. Name the airline and the aircraft used. Jet America Aircraft was a DC-9-80

22. What airport was the “Terminal of The Future” located at? What airline used it?

KMCI Kansas City International Airport, TWA used it. Due to security issues involved and the refusal of the city to rebuild the terminal TWA moved their Midwest hub to St. Louis.

A good guess, but so far as I've been able to discern, the new terminal(s) at MCI, and specifically TWA's, were never officially called "The Terminal of the Future". But another airline's was, at a different airport. I'll leave this one out there...

By the way, it's always possible I could be wrong on this or any other answer I've claimed to be true here. In that event I have saved the links to my references for these question's answers and would be happy to provide them should there be any debate, which of course is always welcome.

25. After Pan American and TWA, this airline became the third US airline to offer scheduled trans-Atlantic service to London when it commenced service in 1970. Name the airline and what city it served London from.

25. I THINK this one was on Delta 747 on an ATL-IAD-LHR route with a PanAm Interchange at IAD.

I believe the trans-Atlantic portion of the interchange you reference was actually operated by Pan American. However, there was no interchange involved for the airline I'm thinking of in this question. I'll leave this one out there...

Additionally, I will provide answers to any and all of my as yet unanswered questions (including the photo questions) in a couple of days.

I had a wonderful ride on the Cumbres and Toltec narrow gauge earlier today. I've since driven up to Colorado Springs where it's snowing lightly/freezing mist tonight, with overnight temperatures in the 20s. On to Milwaukee tomorrow. Have a great weekend, everyone!

miniliq Oct 6, 2012 7:11 am

I'm trying to catch up on the past week:

That was Braniff's terminal at Love field in Dallas. Here are some photos -- www.braniffpages.com/1965/pic4.html

My guess is National from MIA, using a DC10.

miniliq Oct 6, 2012 7:32 am

5. Although there were no nonstops between Los Angeles and Lima, Peru, one airline provided a direct service. Name the airline and the aircraft utilized. You may also win friends and admirers if you can breakdown the route.

Was this Aerolineas Peruana (EP) with stops in MEX and GYE? I'll guess it was a 707.

miniliq Oct 6, 2012 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 19378110)
Additionally, these older questions still remain unanswered...

16. Name the five foreign airlines that provided nonstop – though not necessarily daily – service between Montreal and New York as of December 1990.

I can come up with four:
Aerolineas Argentinas (AR), using a 747
Lan Chile (LA) -- 767
Royal Air Maroc (AT) -- 747
Czechoslovak Airlines (OK) -- Ilyushin 62
I'll guess Air France -- 747 --for the fifth.

21. Founded back in 1997 as WestJet Express in Enterprise, Nevada, this airline took on its new name and operating certificate in 1998, after a trademark dispute with West Jet Air Center of Rapid City, South Dakota.

Allegiant Air

25. On July 2nd, 1982, this U.S. airline became the first to operate a jet flight flown by an all-female crew – Captain, First Officer and three Flight Attendants. Which airline was this? What type of aircraft was it?

That would be Piedmont, either a 727 or 737.
BTW, North Central had the first all female flight crew on a Convair 580 Chicago-Kalamazoo on April 19, 1979.

jlemon Oct 6, 2012 10:56 am

Originally Posted by miniliq (Post 19446718)
Just returned from a few days in SFO and vicinity, and need to tidy up one of the responses:

Close enough! I spent another hour the following night rebooking my trip for the middle of this month and have successfully included two "island-hopper" portions: HNL-MAJ-KWA-KSA-PNI-TKK-GUM on UA154 (the 5-stopper), then GUM-ROR-MNL on UA193 -- both 737-800s. By the time I'm home I should be over the 100k mark for this year, so we're burning some miles to go in F to SYD and back (via SIN and BKK) during December. And according to the latest schedule, we'll be on the 780 from MSY-LAX.

Happy travels to you -- and depending on your timing and plans, PM me if MSY is on your itinerary.

Hey miniliq! Well, I was just in the MSY area week before last.....and we had an excellent lunch at Drago's at their original location in Metairie. Their barbecued oysters are hard to beat!

I also think you meant Boeing 787 rather than 780 with regard to your upcoming trip. I've noted that UA will introduce "temporary" domestic service with the B787-8 on Nov. 4 from IAH to LAX with aircraft that were originally ordered by CO. In fact, I'm booked on this new 787 service on Nov. 9 from IAH to LAX so let's hope the upgrade clears!

jlemon Oct 6, 2012 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 19446839)
This thread had gone a full week with no activity (I don't believe that's ever happened before) and, given the diminished playing field, it certainly looked as if things had wound down for good. However, if questions continue to be answered - much less posted - well, I'm certainly happy to do my part to keep things rolling as well.

Additionally, I will provide answers to any and all of my as yet unanswered questions (including the photo questions) in a couple of days.

I had a wonderful ride on the Cumbres and Toltec narrow gauge earlier today. I've since driven up to Colorado Springs where it's snowing lightly/freezing mist tonight, with overnight temperatures in the 20s. On to Milwaukee tomorrow. Have a great weekend, everyone!

Well, Seat 2A,, the thread ain't dead yet! And you certainly have been visiting one of my favorite places in the world, being southwest Colorado and the San Juan Mountains! There are several fine brewpubs in Durango and it's always great to visit nearby (as the turboprop flies) Telluride and its majestic setting as it is nearly surrounded by 14,000 foot mountain peaks. One of these days I'll cast caution to the winds and attempt to fly into TEX on board a B1900D.....I usually drive to Telluride!

And with that, it's time to take a sip of my first class Cajun Bloody Mary on a beautiful afternoon in south Louisiana (with a cold front currently en route to our region) and submit some more quiz items! Hey, the yard work can wait a bit!

The first four (4) questions all have a time line of April of 1981:

1) This airline provided the only nonstop service with one daily round trip between JFK and LAS. Name the air carrier and the equipment operated.

2) This air carrier operated the only nonstop service with one daily round trip between MEM and LAS. Identify the airline and the aircraft used.

3) This airline flew the only nonstop service between FAT and LAS with one daily round trip. Name the carrier and the equipment operated.

4) Also at this same time, there were no less than five (5) airlines operating nonstop jet service on the relatively short hop between RNO and LAS. Identify all five air carriers and the jet equipment they flew on the route.

5) This Canadian airline based in Saskatchewan operated jet equipment on their one and only route to the U.S. Name the airline, the jet aircraft type they operated and the one U.S. city they served.

6) This regional airline based in the northeast U.S. flew three (3) different jet aircraft types at different times during their existence in addition to flying turboprop equipment. Identify the air carrier and the three jet aircraft types they operated.

7) In April of 1974, this commuter airline operated DHC-6 "Twin Otter" turboprop service several times a day between two major airports in the northeast U.S. They had some interesting competition as well in the form of three major air carriers flying jet equipment on the very same route. Two of these carriers operated Boeing 707-320 service while the third carrier operated flights with Boeing 727-200 and Douglas DC-9-30 aircraft. Identify the route and all four airlines.

Hope everyone has a fine weekend!

Seat 2A Oct 6, 2012 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by miniliq (Post 19447791)
I'm trying to catch up on the past week:

5. Although there were no nonstops between Los Angeles and Lima, Peru, one airline provided a direct service. Name the airline and the aircraft utilized. You may also win friends and admirers if you can breakdown the route.

Was this Aerolineas Peruana (EP) with stops in MEX and GYE? I'll guess it was a 707.

I would have thought this to be the case as well, perhaps with a 990, but we're both wrong -

Per the March 1966 OAG the only direct service between LAX and Lima (Lima's airport code was CLX back then) was offered by Varig using a Convair 990. Depending upon the day of the week, the routing was either LAX-MEX-TUM-CLX or LAX-MEX-TUM-BOG-CLX. (TUM was the airport code for Panama City back then)

That was Braniff's terminal at Love Field in Dallas. Here are some photos -- www.braniffpages.com/1965/pic4.html

Correct! Thanks also for the great link!

25. After Pan American and TWA, this airline became the third US airline to offer scheduled trans-Atlantic service when it commenced service to London in 1970. Name the airline and what city it served London from.

My guess is National from MIA, using a DC10.

Your guess is spot on, miniliq. However, the aircraft was initially a DC-8, soon to be followed with a 747. Service with the DC-10-30s was inaugurated on the route in the fall of 1973.

More to come later, gang. I've got a plane to catch!

miniliq Oct 6, 2012 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 19448653)
Hey miniliq! Well, I was just in the MSY area week before last.....and we had an excellent lunch at Drago's at their original location in Metairie. Their barbecued oysters are hard to beat!

I also think you meant Boeing 787 rather than 780 with regard to your upcoming trip. I've noted that UA will introduce "temporary" domestic service with the B787-8 on Nov. 4 from IAH to LAX with aircraft that were originally ordered by CO. In fact, I'm booked on this new 787 service on Nov. 9 from IAH to LAX so let's hope the upgrade clears!

Please excuse my senior moment -- of course it's the 787 -- and it's IAH-LAX on Dec 6 -- I forgot that we're driving to IAH the day before.

jlemon Oct 6, 2012 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by miniliq (Post 19449252)
Please excuse my senior moment -- of course it's the 787 -- and it's IAH-LAX on Dec 6 -- I forgot that we're driving to IAH the day before.

No problem, sir! And BTW, for those who are interested, United will initiate their first ever Boeing 787-8 services on November 4 from IAH to several domestic destinations besides LAX (with six r/t IAH-LAX flights per week) to also include SFO (five r/t IAH-SFO flights per week), ORD (six r/t IAH-ORD flights per week) and EWR (daily IAH-EWR r/t service except on Nov. 18), according to a UA press release....

I'm looking forward to my flight on the Dreamliner! And now let's hope that LSU actually scores a touchdown in the second half! Geaux Tigers!

Wally Bird Oct 6, 2012 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 19448814)
5) This Canadian airline based in Saskatchewan operated jet equipment on their one and only route to the U.S. Name the airline, the jet aircraft type they operated and the one U.S. city they served.

Norcanair F.28 Regina-Minneapolis.

jlemon Oct 7, 2012 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Wally Bird (Post 19450152)
Norcanair F.28 Regina-Minneapolis.

Our man on the shores of the beautiful Salish Sea is correct!

I think the Norcanair (or NorcanAir as I've seen their name spelled both ways) Fokker F28 Fellowship service may have have also included Saskatoon with a routing of YXE-YQR-MSP but I'm not completely sure of this.

Norcanair (NK, which previously operated as Saskair) also operated Fairchild F-27 turboprops which I believe were purchased used from Hughes Airwest. Other turboprop equipment operated by NK included the NAMC YS-11, Embraer EMB-110 Bandeirante and DHC-6 Twin Otter in addition to various piston aircraft which included Bristol Model 170 freighter aircraft (paging WHBM). I also think that Norcanair's MSP service was the only time the F28 twinjet was ever operated into Minneapolis/St. Paul on a scheduled basis.

Norcanair went on to provide feeder services for CP Air before being acquired by Time Air, a regional Canadian air carrier based in neighboring Alberta province, which in turn became a significant F28 operator flying code share services for Canadian Airlines International (formerly CP Air). Canadian then acquired 100% of Time Air before being acquired by Air Canada.