FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1282073-old-timers-airline-quiz-discussion.html)

Seat 2A Sep 15, 2012 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by CubsFanJohn (Post 19320905)
Okay here's a stab at two of them...

11. Name the nine cities that United operated DC-10s into Denver from.

ORD, SEA (Al Haynes last flight was from DEN-SEA), SFO, LAX, IAD, COS, BOS, PDX & PHL

Good answer, John! You are correct on all counts except for Portland. Replace that with Honolulu and we've got them all.

14. Today, Alaska is the only airline offering jet service between Anchorage and Fairbanks. Back in 1990 four airlines served this route. Name those airlines.

Alaska Airlines, Delta, United and MarkAir. (Small Soapbox time) Ironically enough it is interesting to see how much Alaska has grown in the past 20 years. Out of ANC their only destination to the mainland was SEA but now they serve SEA, DEN (Seasonal), LAX (Seasonal), ORD, PDX, HNL, OGG (Seasonal), KOA (Seasonal.) I am pretty sure ORD is year-round is that correct? I actually flew ORD-ANC year round. Nice to have an early afternoon arrival into ANC versus the usual late evening arrivals.

Correct! This market has also enjoyed jet service in the past from Reno Air, Western and Wien Air Alaska

jlemon Sep 15, 2012 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 19320951)

ORD, SEA (Al Haynes last flight was from DEN-SEA), SFO, LAX, IAD, COS, BOS, PDX & PHL

Good answer, John! You are correct on all counts except for Portland. Replace that with Honolulu and we've got them all.

14. Today, Alaska is the only airline offering jet service between Anchorage and Fairbanks. Back in 1990 four airlines served this route. Name those airlines.

Alaska Airlines, Delta, United and MarkAir. (Small Soapbox time) Ironically enough it is interesting to see how much Alaska has grown in the past 20 years. Out of ANC their only destination to the mainland was SEA but now they serve SEA, DEN (Seasonal), LAX (Seasonal), ORD, PDX, HNL, OGG (Seasonal), KOA (Seasonal.) I am pretty sure ORD is year-round is that correct? I actually flew ORD-ANC year round. Nice to have an early afternoon arrival into ANC versus the usual late evening arrivals.

Correct! This market has also enjoyed jet service in the past from Reno Air, Western and Wien Air Alaska

14) And I believe there was a time when American, Braniff International and Continental jet equipment could be seen at Fairbanks.....however, I think these were all single plane interchange services operated in conjunction with other carriers such as Alaska and Western.

And therein lies several another questions: how many different interchange services were flown between the lower 48 states and Alaska, which airlines paired up to operate them, what specific cities were served in the lower 48 states by these interchange services and what type of equipment was operated?

I'll start off with the first pairing I can think of: Alaska and Braniff International back in 1976. Here are the routings:

BN 95: IAH-DFW-SEA, AS 95: SEA-ANC-FAI Equip: B727-100

AS 96: FAI-ANC-SEA, BN 96: SEA-DFW-IAH Equip: B727-100

CubsFanJohn Sep 15, 2012 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 19320951)

You know I had HNL in there then I remembered UA DID serve HNL with DC-8's so I pulled it out....

Seat 2A Sep 15, 2012 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 19321030)
14) And I believe there was a time when American, Braniff International and Continental jet equipment could be seen at Fairbanks.....however, I think these were all single plane interchange services operated in conjunction with other carriers such as Alaska and Western.

How right you are, jlemon! I have flown into Fairbanks on American's 727-200s d.b.a. Alaska Airlines on numerous occasions. I'm pretty sure I recall seeing Braniff's colorful two-tone 727-200s on the Fairbanks ramp as well, again flying on behalf of Alaska Air. I'm also fairly certain that Alaska had a brief fling with Continental on interchange flights, though I'm not sure if those interchange flights continued on to Fairbanks. I do remember flying aboard a Continental DC-10 from ANC to SEA as part of an interchange with Western Airlines back in July of 1977.

If I remember correctly, the initial Braniff interchanges began in about 1974 and were in response to the pipeline being built at that time from Prudhoe Bay to Valdez. Initially at least, many of the workers were from the oil producing states of Texas and Oklahoma. Braniff's strong presence in that region made them a natural partner with Alaska. The interchange flights were referred to as "The Pipeline Express" and it was not unusual that a fair percentage of the passengers attempted to board the flights out of FAI/ANC in an inebriated state. No alcohol was available in the pipeline camps and many (Some say most) of the workers, thirsty and flush with cash upon arrival in Fairbanks, would get pretty hammered before attempting to board the flight or worse - on board the flight.

And therein lies several another questions: how many different interchange services were flown between the lower 48 states and Alaska, which airlines paired up to operate them, what specific cities were served in the lower 48 states by these interchange services and what type of equipment was operated?

I'll start off with the first pairing I can think of: Alaska and Braniff International back in 1976. Here are the routings:

BN 95: IAH-DFW-SEA, AS 95: SEA-ANC-FAI Equip: B727-100

AS 96: FAI-ANC-SEA, BN 96: SEA-DFW-IAH Equip: B727-100

I don't know the flight numbers, but in the early to mid-90s Alaska and American teamed up on an interchange. I believe the routing was IAH-DFW-SEA-ANC-FAI with Seattle the dividing line between the carriers.

As mentioned above, I also flew aboard a Continental DC-10 on a Western ticket between Anchorage and Seattle. I believe the interchange routing was IAH-DEN-SEA-ANC with Seattle once again serving as the break point

CubsFanJohn Sep 15, 2012 5:59 pm

Okay now I am taking a stab at the new ones. Had things to do today.

1. West Coast Airlines which later became part of Hughes Airwest in merger with Pacific Airlines and Bonanza.

3. American Airlines DC-7 used specifically on New York-LAX. This led to a strike of American Airlines Pilots due to the fact they couldn't agree on rules regarding flights over 8 hours.

6. Chicago & Southern Airlines

7. Continental Airlines Boeing 720B. It was used to introduce "The Proud Birld with the Golden Tail" Brand. Cool article here http://blog.seattlepi.com/worldairli...or-10-in-1968/

8. Hughes AirWest.

9. Continental???

20. AirTran Airways

22. Eastern

23. American Airlines

24. The orignial Frontier Airlines which later became part of Continental.

25. I THINK this one was People's Express.

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 19299607)
1. Which airline based in the western U.S. airline marketed its DC-3s as “Scenicliners”?

3. This U.S. airline operated “Mercury Service” on its piston engine powered flights across America. Identify the airline and aircraft used.

6. Which airline operated over the “Route of the Dixieliners”?

7. In 1968, this airline offered 45 minute “Champagne Flights” over Chicago for just $10.00. The flights would depart each Saturday evening at 8:45pm. Name the airline and the aircraft used for these flights.

8. Which airlines’ inflight magazine was called “Sundancer”

9. This airline’s ads used to refer to it as “America’s Gold Carpet Airline”

20. Which airline was the launch customer for Boeing’s 717?

22. As of February 1986, this airline was paying over $700,000 in interest each day before it even sold a ticket, fueled or boarded a single aircraft.

23. What was the first U.S. airline to charge a fee for each checked bag?

24. On January 29, 1973 this airline hired the only Tuskegee Airman to become a commercial passenger airline pilot. On that same day, this same airline also hired the first female pilot for any U.S. commercial airline. What airline was this?

25. On July 2nd, 1982, this U.S. airline became the first to operate a jet flight flown by an all-female crew – Captain, First Officer and three Flight Attendants. Which airline was this? What type of aircraft was it?

Seat 2A Sep 15, 2012 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by CubsFanJohn (Post 19322352)
Okay now I am taking a stab at the new ones. Had things to do today.

1. Which airline based in the western U.S. airline marketed its DC-3s as “Scenicliners”?

1. West Coast Airlines which later became part of Hughes Airwest in merger with Pacific Airlines and Bonanza.

6. Which airline operated over the “Route of the Dixieliners”?

6. Chicago & Southern Airlines

7. In 1968, this airline offered 45 minute “Champagne Flights” over Chicago for just $10.00. The flights would depart each Saturday evening at 8:45pm. Name the airline and the aircraft used for these flights.

7. Continental Airlines Boeing 720B. It was used to introduce "The Proud Birld with the Golden Tail" Brand. Cool article here http://blog.seattlepi.com/worldairli...or-10-in-1968/

8. Which airlines’ inflight magazine was called “Sundancer”

8. Hughes AirWest

9. This airline’s ads used to refer to it as “America’s Gold Carpet Airline”

9. Continental

20. Which airline was the launch customer for Boeing’s 717?

20. AirTran Airways

22. As of February 1986, this airline was paying over $700,000 in interest each day before it even sold a ticket, fueled or boarded a single aircraft.

22. Eastern Shortly after this Eastern was sold to Frank Lorenzo's Texas Air group.

24. On January 29, 1973 this airline hired the only Tuskegee Airman to become a commercial passenger airline pilot. On that same day, this same airline also hired the first female pilot for any U.S. commercial airline. What airline was this?

24. The original Frontier Airlines which later became part of Continental.

Excellent work, John! You are correct on all of the above answers!

3. This U.S. airline operated “Mercury Service” on its piston engine powered flights across America. Identify the airline and aircraft used.

3. American Airlines DC-7 used specifically on New York-LAX. This led to a strike of American Airlines Pilots due to the fact they couldn't agree on rules regarding flights over 8 hours.

This answer is essentially correct. However, I've also found a couple of references to an earlier use of the term "Mercury" with American's trans-continental services, leading me to perhaps surmise that "Mercury Service" applied to American's trans-continental services from 1936 on.

Here are a couple of interesting articles about the early days of American Airlines and the DC-3 including references to the "Mercury" services.

The DC-3 and American Airlines

U.S. Centennial of Flight Commission Report on American Airlines

23. American Airlines.

My references show that this was another airline that came about post-deregulation. I'll leave this question open for now.

25. I THINK this one was People's Express.

It was a different airline and the flight took place east of the Mississippi.

Seat 2A Sep 16, 2012 11:48 am

Good morning, folks. It's football time in America and, after having made a couple of quick adjustments to my fantasy league, I might as well make a few adjustments to the posted questions as well. Here are the unanswered ones, plus one bonus question.

2. Which airline advertised “Steak and Karats” on some of its longer meal flights?

4. In January of 1973, how many daily 747s were scheduled on nonstop flights between New York and Los Angeles? Which airlines operated them?

5. This airline’s Hawaiian flights featured food and drinks from Don The Beachcomber restaurants.

10. What U.S. airline was the launch customer for the Convair 880? Additionally, what was the second U.S. airline to place the 880 into service? And the third?

16. Name the five foreign airlines that provided nonstop – though not necessarily daily – service between Montreal and New York as of December 1990.

18. What was the first airline in the world to board one million passengers in one city in one month? See if you can figure out which city as well.

19. Through the sixties, many airlines proudly touted becoming an all-jet fleet. What was the first airline to operate an “all-Turbofan Fleet” and in what year was this accomplished?

21. Founded back in 1997 as WestJet Express in Enterprise, Nevada, this airline took on its new name and operating certificate in 1998, after a trademark dispute with West Jet Air Center of Rapid City, South Dakota.

25. On July 2nd, 1982, this U.S. airline became the first to operate a jet flight flown by an all-female crew – Captain, First Officer and three Flight Attendants. Which airline was this? What type of aircraft was it?

BONUS: Which of these airlines never offered a First Class cabin? (The may be more than one…)

Jet America
New York Air
People Express
Ozark
North Central
Trans-Texas
Frontier
Air Florida
Southern

jlemon Sep 17, 2012 10:42 am

Lower 48-Alaska Interchange Services

Well, I did a little bit of research with regard to same plane interchange services operated between the lower 48 states and Alaska.....and here's what I came up with:

From Continental's April 30, 1978 timetable:

CO 989: IAH-DEN-SEA, WA 989: SEA-ANC Equip: DC-10

WA 984: ANC-SEA, CO 984: SEA-DEN-IAH Equip: DC-10

CO 729: DFW-SEA, WA 729: SEA-ANC Equip: B727-200

WA 728: ANC-SEA, CO 728: SEA-DFW: Equip: B727-200

So, no service to FAI via the Continental/Western interchange flights at this time.

However, CO then subsequently partnered with Alaska Airlines for interchange services. Here's info from Continental's June 1, 1982 timetable:

CO 341: DEN-PDX, AS 341: PDX-ANC-FAI-SCC Equip: B727-200

AS 340: SCC-FAI-ANC-PDX, CO 340: PDX-DEN Equip: B727-200

These CO/AS interchange flights not only went to Anchorage and Fairbanks, they also continued on with direct, no change of plane service all the way to Prudhoe Bay at this time.

Alaska Airlines and Continental continued their relationship. Here's data from the Sept. 7, 1982 AS timetable:

CO 341: TUL-ICT-DEN-PDX, AS 341: PDX-ANC-FAI-SCC Equip: B727-200

So one could fly on board the same aircraft from Tulsa and Wichita all the way to the Prudhoe Bay on the shores of the Arctic Ocean.....

And at the same time, Alaska Airlines was also operating interchange service with American. Once again from the Sept. 7, 1982 AS timetable:

AA 395: IAH-DFW-SEA, AS 395: SEA-ANC-FAI Equip: B727-200

Seat 2A Sep 17, 2012 2:15 pm

Wow! That's a fine bit of research you've done there, Professor Lemon. I had no idea Continental's relationship with Alaska was so long-lived, much less included the service to Deadhorse/Prudhoe Bay. Thanks for the time you put in to come up with this. ^^

jlemon Sep 17, 2012 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 19331740)
Wow! That's a fine bit of research you've done there, Professor Lemon. I had no idea Continental's relationship with Alaska was so long-lived, much less included the service to Deadhorse/Prudhoe Bay. Thanks for the time you put in to come up with this. ^^

Well, this stuff is kinda interesting, you know....especially since I've actually been to Prudhoe Bay several times on business (once in the flightdeck jumpseat of an Era Aviation Convair 580 and the other time on board a MarkAir B737-200 Combi).....and I was also in Fairbanks on biz not too long ago (it was neat to see the old Wien hangar at FAI).

By December of 1983, the CO/AS interchange service had morphed a bit with regard to the routing: it was now flown as an MCI-DEN-PDX-ANC-SCC roundtrip and still operated with a 72S. So the stop in FAI was not made by that time and Kansas City had no change of plane service to Prudhoe Bay instead of TUL and ICT.

Meantime, AS maintained their relationship with AA as well for a number of years. By July of 1990, the AA/AS interchange roundtrip routing was HOU (yes, Houston Hobby and not Intercontinental)-DFW-SEA-ANC-FAI and was still flown with a 72S.....

jlemon Sep 21, 2012 8:34 am

Good Morning Everyone!

Well, it appears that today will be the last day for a space shuttle to be airborne, albeit on the back of an old ex-American Airlines B747-123 that for many years now has had the call sign "NASA 905".

As just about everyone knows, the SCA with OV-105 (translation: Shuttle Carrier Aircraft with "Endeavour") will be performing low passes all over the Golden State this morning from Sacramento to the San Francisco Bay Area to Monterey to Vandenberg Air Force Base just north of Santa Barbara and on into the Los Angeles basin for a whole bunch of fly bys that will include a low pass over NASA/JPL in Pasadena (my home town). As many of you know, my Dad helped to design the space shuttle during his long and colorful career as an aerospace engineer with the space program that included the Apollo moon missions, the design and operation of the shuttles and management of the navigation systems for the Voyager I and II space probes that explored our solar system and currently continue to be monitored by NASA/JPL.

So with all this in mind, here's a quiz question:

In the late 1960's, this Florida city had direct, no change of plane jet service to the west coast of the U.S. provided by two airlines that were both cognizant of this airport's proximity to the NASA Kennedy Space Center. These air carriers were trying to serve the passenger traffic that was occuring at the height of the Apollo moon mission program. Both airlines flew direct services from this airport to different destinations on the west coast that were the locations of important aerospace centers. And these services included intermediate stops at other important aerospace centers en route. The intermediate stops were different and thus not served by both airlines. These were very specific routes that were aimed at space program passenger traffic.

1) Name the Florida airport that received these scheduled services.

2) Identify both airlines.

3) Name the respective final destinations on the west coast for these flights as well as all of the intermediate stops en route.

4) Identify the equipment used (hint: each airline flew a different aircraft type on these routes).

Seat 2A Sep 21, 2012 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 19357560)
In the late 1960's, this Florida city had direct, no change of plane jet service to the west coast of the U.S. provided by two airlines that were both cognizant of this airport's proximity to the NASA Kennedy Space Center. These air carriers were trying to serve the passenger traffic that was occuring at the height of the Apollo moon mission program. Both airlines flew direct services from this airport to different destinations on the west coast that were the locations of important aerospace centers. And these services included intermediate stops at other important aerospace centers en route. The intermediate stops were different and thus not served by both airlines. These were very specific routes that were aimed at space program passenger traffic.

1) Name the Florida airport that received these scheduled services.

2) Identify both airlines.

3) Name the respective final destinations on the west coast for these flights as well as all of the intermediate stops en route.

4) Identify the equipment used (hint: each airline flew a different aircraft type on these routes).

Well, the closest airport to the Kennedy Space Center would have been Titusville, which, for a while at least, was served by Eastern Airlines. However, as Eastern was the only major airline to serve TIX, I'm figuring it had to be a different airport.

Melbourne was just down the coast, and was served by both Eastern and National. I did a check of the schedules from 1970 and found 2-stop direct service between MLB and LAX via IAH and MSY on a National DC-8 and 3-stop direct service from Seattle on an Eastern 727 routing SEA-STL-HSV-MCO-MLB. Huntsville is home to the George C. Marshall Space Flight Center while the Manned Spacecraft Center is located in Houston.

The Apollo command and service modules were built by North American Aviation in the Los Angeles suburb of Downey, California and North American Rockwell's Rocketdyne division was involved in the manufacture of the rocket engines, so that might explain the Los Angeles connection. As for Seattle, well, Boeing must have been involved though in what way and to what extent I cannot elucidate.

Anyone else care to shed a bit of light on this?

jlemon Sep 22, 2012 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 19360827)
Well, the closest airport to the Kennedy Space Center would have been Titusville, which, for a while at least, was served by Eastern Airlines. However, as Eastern was the only major airline to serve TIX, I'm figuring it had to be a different airport.

Melbourne was just down the coast, and was served by both Eastern and National. I did a check of the schedules from 1970 and found 2-stop direct service between MLB and LAX via IAH and MSY on a National DC-8 and 3-stop direct service from Seattle on an Eastern 727 routing SEA-STL-HSV-MCO-MLB. Huntsville is home to the George C. Marshall Space Flight Center while the Manned Spacecraft Center is located in Houston.

The Apollo command and service modules were built by North American Aviation in the Los Angeles suburb of Downey, California and North American Rockwell's Rocketdyne division was involved in the manufacture of the rocket engines, so that might explain the Los Angeles connection. As for Seattle, well, Boeing must have been involved though in what way and to what extent I cannot elucidate.

Anyone else care to shed a bit of light on this?

Melbourne (MLB) is correct!

Eastern called their service "The Space Corridor". Here are the routings from EA's June 13, 1967 timetable:

EA 214: MLB-MCO-HSV-STL-SEA Equip: B727-100

EA 215: SEA-PDX-STL-HSV-MCO-MLB Equip: B727-100

PDX was only served on the eastbound routing at this time.

National operated several variations of their service over the years.

From NA's May 31, 1964 timetable:

NA 27: MIA-MLB-MSY-HOU-LAX Equip: DC-8

NA 34: LAX-HOU-MLB-MIA Equip: DC-8

From NA's April 30, 1967 timetable:

NA 37: MIA-MLB-MSY-HOU-LAX Equip: DC-8

NA 30: LAX-HOU-MSY-MLB-MIA Equip: DC-8

NA 28: LAX-TPA-MLB-MIA Equip: DC-8

National was also operating turboprop service into Melbourne at this time. Here are some routing examples from the April 30, 1967 timetable:

NA 371: MIA-MLB-TPA-PNS-MSY-HOU Equip: L-188 Electra

NA 219: JFK-PHL-DCA-JAX-MCO-TPA-MLB-PBI-MIA Equip: L-188 Electra

From NA's July 15, 1969 timetable:

NA 37: MIA-MLB-MSY-IAH-LAX Equip: DC-8

NA 39: MIA-MLB-TPA-MSY-LAX-SAN Equip: DC-8

NA 30: LAX-IAH-MSY-MLB-MIA Equip: DC-8

NA 36: LAX-TPA-MLB-MIA Equip: DC-8

By July of 1974, the schedule had changed a bit. From the July 1 NA timetable:

NA 39: MIA-MLB-TPA-MSY-IAH-LAX-SAN Equip: B727-200

There was no direct service operated from LAX to MLB at this time; however, this flight was listed in the July 1, 1974 timetable:

NA 182: IAH-MSY-TPA-MLB-PBI-MIA Equip: B727-200

By February of 1976, National was down to just two flights a day from Melbourne:

NA 435: MIA-MLB-TPA Equip: B727-100

NA 182: IAH-MSY-TPA-MLB-MIA Equip: B727-200

And by May of 1979, National operated just one flight a day from Melbourne:

NA 499: MIA-MLB-TPA Equip: B727-200

It appears that National then discontinued all service from Melbourne later that year.

Also back in February of 1976, Eastern's "Space Corridor" service had been discontinued, although EA continued to serve MLB primarily with nonstops to and from ATL and MIA which included this flight:

EA 82: LAX-ATL-MLB Equip: B727-100

There was no direct EA flight to LAX from MLB at this time.

With regard to North American Aviation in Downey, CA, that's where my Dad started his career as an aerospace engineer working on the Apollo project (BTW, the SCA and Endeavour flew over Downey yesterday). He then received a job offer with Boeing at the Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, AL, which is where the Saturn 5 moon rockets were developed and tested for the Apollo project. We then moved to Houston where Dad continued his career with Boeing and the Apollo project. Later on, he began work on the design of the space shuttle with his good friend John Young who was the mission commander on the first launch of Columbia and STS-1. John also walked on the moon during the Apollo 16 mission.

And it sure was great to see NASA 905 with Endeavour over California yesterday! BTW, the chase aircraft were NASA operated F/A-18s based at NASA's Dryden Flight Research Center which is located at Edwards Air Force Base in the high desert north of L.A. I believe they were shooting video from at least one of the Hornets of the fly-by activity conducted by the SCA which should appear on NASA TV shortly. NASA 905, which is a modified B747-123 formerly operated by AA, will now be retired.

Seat 2A Sep 22, 2012 7:49 pm

Great stuff, Mr. Lemon! And kudos to your Dad for his fine work on the Apollo missions and the Space Shuttle!

In four days I will be leaving Alaska for a month and a half road trip involving planes, trains, busses, ferries and a number of rental cars. The time involved in traveling as well as putting together a trip report in combination with the fact that I won’t have access to any of my OAGs or schedules means that I won’t be submitting any further questions during this time. jlemon has already indicated that he's planning to take a break from submitting large groups of questions and since WHBM’s departure and the corresponding drop off in participation in this thread, it’s possible that the lack of any questions from me over the next couple of months would be of no consequence regardless.

The idea for this quiz and its 70 original questions came about as a result of my having participated in a similar but much shorter quiz that was presented at an airline collectibles convention I attended some years ago. We didn't have the benefit of the internet for our answers but rather had to rely solely upon our knowledge of airlines and aircraft up to that point. I think there might have been a prize involved, such as a year's subscription to Airliners magazine or some such. In any event, I decided to post those 70 questions here rather than wait until I managed to get to another collectibles show. Well I must say that in the year or so since that this thread has been running it's amassed a great deal more excellent questions, all of which I've dutifully logged, so perhaps that original intent might yet someday be realized at a show down the road. In the meantime I'd like to thank everyone who's taken the time to participate in this thread so far, but especially jlemon for the many excellent questions he’s submitted to date. Those questions do take some time to research, type up and submit, and I'd just like to say that I truly do appreciate the effort that goes into formulating them.

As for this latest batch of questions, the first ten are taken from the March 1966 International OAG. The questions focus on services to and from the U.S. at that time, including services operated by foreign airlines. 1966 is far enough in the past that I don’t necessarily envision many of you to know the exact answers (Except for WHBM who probably could have written the OAG!), but who knows? Using your knowledge of airline services and history, not to mention imagination, feel free to hazard an educated guess. It’s all in fun, anyway.

1. Two airlines – one foreign and one domestic – offered nonstop service between New York and Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic. Name the airlines and the equipment used on these flights. ANSWERED

2. Air France, Pan Am and TWA all offered nonstop service between New York and Paris, France. So did two other airlines. Name those airlines and the equipment used on the route. ANSWERED

3. Pan Am offered one stop 727 service between Miami and Barranquilla, Colombia. We’re more interested in the nonstop flights offered on this route by two Colombian airlines. Name those airlines and the equipment they used on this route. Partially ANSWERED

4. Name the airlines that provided either nonstop or direct service between London and Los Angeles.

5. Although there were no nonstops between Los Angeles and Lima, Peru, one airline provided a direct service. Name the airline and the aircraft utilized. You may also win friends and admirers if you can breakdown the route.

6. What foreign airline served Philadelphia in 1966? Where did it fly to?

7. You want to fly aboard a De Havilland Comet. The U.S. city you depart from doesn’t matter, nor does the destination. What airlines would you consider? PARTLY ANSWERED (Mexicana... Still one more airline left...)

8. Name the airline and aircraft that offered nonstop service between Madrid and Miami

9. Aside from Canada, what foreign cities could you fly nonstop to from Seattle? Aboard which airlines?

10. Name the only airline to offer direct service between New York and Nandi, Fiji. ANSWERED

11. In 1963, this U.S. airline embarked on a side adventure into South America, sending a contingent of its younger executives down to Bolivia to assist the beleaguered national airline, Lloyd Aereo Boliviano. The two year U.S. government assisted contract was designed to help turn around the troubled carrier and would bring in $800,000 for this airline. Which airline was this?

12. “When you’ve got it, flaunt it”. What airline used this slogan? ANSWERED

13. “Life is a journey, travel it well”. What airline used this slogan?

14. What airline was the only U.S. operator of the BAe 146-300? ANSWERED

15. This airline’s jets were known as “Funbirds”

16. What U.S. airline – a jet operator – was named after a tree? ANSWERED

17. This all-Business Class airline operated service to London Stanstead from Washington Dulles, New York-JFK, Los Angeles and Las Vegas. Name the airline and the aircraft used.

18. One of this airline’s aircraft bore a livery advertising the Stardust Resort and Casino in Las Vegas. Name the airline and the type of aircraft so liveried.

19. This airline commenced service on November 16, 1981, with a flight from Long Beach, CA to Chicago O'Hare. Name the airline and the aircraft used.

20. It is said that a midair collision by one of its jets with a military jet in 1971 provided the impetus for this U.S. airline to change its color scheme to a much brighter one. ANSWERED Hughes Airwest

21. MGM Grand Air and Regent Air were famous for operating luxuriously appointed 727s between Los Angeles, Las Vegas and New York. Name two other U.S. airlines that offered scheduled flights aboard all-First Class configured 727-100s.

22. What airport was the “Terminal of The Future” located at? What airline used it?

23. What airline’s service between New York and Chicago was once branded “Blue Chip” service?

24. This short lived airline operated a single DC-8 (and possibly a Convair 880 later on) during 1973/74. It was operated as an air travel club, wherein after paying an initial $25 membership fee, members could fly from Newark, N.J., to Los Angeles for $87.00. It also operated along other routes including flights to Europe. The atmosphere on board its jet was said to be similar to that of a tribal celebration. Vegetarian meals, organic breads, homemade soups, cheeses, and wines and beers were served. Pong machines, backgammon and chess boards, and giant denim pillows were strewn about the plane, which had no class sections. What “airline” are we talking about?

25. After Pan American and TWA, this airline became the third US airline to offer scheduled trans-Atlantic service to London when it commenced service in 1970. Name the airline and what city it served London from.

Seat 2A Sep 22, 2012 8:44 pm

Can you determine the aircraft type and the airline in each of the photographs below? In some cases the aircraft type will be obvious such as a 747 upstairs lounge, so the real test will be if you can recognize the airline. Those of us like myself who've flown upon these aircraft do have a bit of an advantage...

http://images51.fotki.com/v102/photo...UMBER10-vi.jpg
Question 26

http://images55.fotki.com/v507/photo...UMBER12-vi.jpg
Question 27

http://images60.fotki.com/v778/photo...UMBER17-vi.jpg
Question 28

http://images59.fotki.com/v419/photo...NUMBER2-vi.jpg
Question 29

http://images49.fotki.com/v615/photo...UMBER20-vi.jpg
Question 30

http://images52.fotki.com/v638/photo...UMBER21-vi.jpg
Question 31

http://images59.fotki.com/v420/photo...NUMBER4-vi.jpg
Question 32

http://images12.fotki.com/v20/photos...NUMBER6-vi.jpg
Question 33

http://images59.fotki.com/v683/photo...NUMBER7-vi.jpg
Question 34

http://images55.fotki.com/v1603/phot...UMBER13-vi.jpg
Question 35

BONUS QUESTION

http://images12.fotki.com/v236/photo...UMBER22-vi.jpg
On what airline would you find this service item? Can you name the service brand and the destination as well?