FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1282073-old-timers-airline-quiz-discussion.html)

WHBM Sep 2, 2012 3:11 am

Originally Posted by Skylink USA (Post 19237917)
Just a guess for question 1.
BCal Gatwick, mostly on a DC to Houston IAH, DFW, MCO, ATL, STL,and Bangor.

Ah yes, Bangor indeed. And where on to from there ? (apart from one of the above) :)

Skylink USA Sep 2, 2012 8:37 am

BR (BCal, not EVA Air :) ) flew LAX and JFK later, I believe, not in 1983. I think Bangor was a stop on the MCO flight. STL was non-stop but sometimes was STL-ATL-LGW. Please enlighten us with a little about BR's US services when giving the answers. Thank you.

Seat 2A Sep 2, 2012 9:34 am

Thanks for the great questions, Mr. Lemon! We're getting cold rain and snow here in Denali this morning. Our bottle to throttle policy prohibits me from joining you with a glass of fine red wine, (I'm off to work in an hour) but my personal blend of Sumatran and dark roast Colombian coffee beans should suffice nicely. Tempted though I am to have a go at more of your questions, let me take a stab at just six and if there are more unanswered later this evening then I'll try a few more then.

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 19237504)
2) At one point, British Caledonian provided shuttle service between London Heathrow (LHR) and London Gatwick (LGW) airports. Identify the aircraft type used for this service.

I have a postcard of what I believe would have been a Sikorsky S-61 helicopter.

3) This airline pioneered the first Vickers VC10 service between the UK and South America. Identify the air carrier. Also name the four (4) cities served in South America by this new service at the time. Depending on the day of the week, these flights also made different intermediate stops en route. Identify these stops as well.

I always remember B-Cal serving South America from London but I believe British United Airways was serving South America earlier, flying to the cities of Santiago, Buenos Aires, Rio de Janeiro and... I honestly have no idea what the other one was. Sao Paolo maybe?

As for intermediate stops, purely a guess here but let's go with Madrid and/or Lisbon.

6) In the spring of 1981, there was only one airline flying nonstop service between Houston (IAH) and Seattle/Tacoma (SEA). Identify the airline and the equipment used on the route.

I'd also go with Pan Am, but I think they operated a 727-200 on this route.

11) In the spring of 1981, three (3) airlines operated jet service from San Jose (SJC) to Oakland (OAK). Name all three air carriers as well as the aircraft types they operated on this short hop.

My first ever flight aboard a 737-300 came aboard Air Cal between SJC and OAK, but not until 1985. Still, let's go with Air Cal with a 737-200, Republic with a DC-9 and... what the heck - TWA with a 727-200.

16) This airline operated two (2) wide body flights a day from Charlotte (CLT) and New York (LGA) at this time. Identify the carrier and the equipment.

This would be Eastern Airlines with an L-1011.

17) What airline flew Douglas DC-9-50 aircraft between Miami (MIA) and Barbados (BGI) at this time?

Gotta be BeeWee! (BWIA)

WHBM Sep 2, 2012 10:28 am

3) This airline pioneered the first Vickers VC10 service between the UK and South America. Identify the air carrier. Also name the four (4) cities served in South America by this new service at the time. Depending on the day of the week, these flights also made different intermediate stops en route. Identify these stops as well.

I always remember B-Cal serving South America from London but I believe British United Airways was serving South America earlier, flying to the cities of Santiago, Buenos Aires, Rio de Janeiro and... I honestly have no idea what the other one was. Sao Paolo maybe?

As for intermediate stops, purely a guess here but let's go with Madrid and/or Lisbon.
Just to chip in here, the fourth city (and country) on the original BUA routing was Montevideo in Uruguay. Sao Paolo in those days didn't have an airport capable of handling long-haul jets, and it was normal for a Brazilian carrier to operate a connecting aircraft from Rio. Meanwhile Montevideo was a significant commercial point in those days, and several UK businesses had commercial contacts there. There was a considerable meat import business from Uruguay to Britain by ship at the time. Surprising how things change.

Lisbon or Madrid ? Well, BUA used to stop off at either, alternately, to try and pick up some extra traffic. They also stopped at Las Palmas in the Canary Islands before crossing the Atlantic. A later schedule change introduced faster one-stop services from London to Buenos Aires, which stopped halfway at Freetown in Sierra Leone, West Africa, an established BUA point (BUA had a half-share in local carrier Sierra Leone Airways).

jlemon Sep 2, 2012 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Skylink USA (Post 19237917)
Just a guess for question 1.
BCal Gatwick, mostly on a DC to Houston IAH, DFW, MCO, ATL, STL,and Bangor.

1) Well, I do not believe that BCal ever served Bangor (BGR) on a scheduled basis....that is, unless WHBM knows something I don't! Bangor, ME is not a large city by any measure, although it is on the general flight path between the US and the UK!

According to the July 1983 Intl. OAG, here are the six (6) U.S. cities served by British Caledonian at that time:

Atlanta (ATL)
Dallas/Ft. Worth (DFW)
Houston (IAH)
Los Angeles (LAX)
St. Louis (STL)
San Juan (SJU)

No BR service to Orlando (MCO) was operated at this time according to the OAG.

DC10 equipment was used for these services (the series 30 version, I think).

Yes, one may question whether SJU is really a U.S. city as Puerto Rico is technically a U.S. territory and not a state.....but the PR government receives U.S. taxpayer dollars down there, so that's good enough for me!

And the U.S. city served on a one stop basis?

BR 232: STL-ATL-LGW Remarks: operated on Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays only

jlemon Sep 2, 2012 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by CubsFanJohn (Post 19238064)
I was born about 9 years after 1981 so I missed most of these cool routes. :(

4. Western Airlines DC-10. They also operated ANC-LGW as well. I think they also had a HNL-LGW 1 stop service via ANC as well.

6. PanAm on a 747-100 or 747-200. Most likely came off an Asia run not sure though.

10. The only one I can think of is US Airways via Pittsburgh.

11. AirCalifornia (737-200), Hughes Air West (727) and Pacific Southwest Airlines (727)

13. PanAm Boeing 747-100/200 and Eastern Airbus 300

15. Northwest Orient and Pan Am

21. Boeing 747 they also operated DC8's, 727 and a Lockheed TriStar.

23. Republic/Hughes Air West. It was either a DC-9 or a 727.

24. Republic/Hughes Air West. DC-9 Service.

4) According to the OAG, Western was not flying DEN-LGW at this time. But Arrow Air was:

JW 712: DEN-LGW Remarks: operated on Sundays only
JW 714: DEN-LGW Remarks: operated on Saturdays only

Equipment was a Super DC-8 (either a series 60 or re-engined series 70 aircraft)

6) Pan Am is correct; however, they were not flying a 747 between IAH and SEA.

10) No, it was not US via PIT. In fact, it was another airline. Please guess again!

11) Air Cal with 73S SJC-OAK service and PSA with 72S SJC-OAK service are correct! However, Hughes Airwest was no longer in operation at this time.

13) Eastern and Pan Am are correct! PA did indeed operate a daily B747 IAH-JFK service; however, EA was actually operating an L1011 on the route at this time.

15) Correct!

21) Air Canada with B747 service YYZ-MIA is correct!

24) I think you meant 24) here and not 23).....anyway, Hughes Airwest is correct with D9S service nonstop twice a day between TUS and HOU, and also twice a day nonstop between DEN and BUR with D9S and DC9 service.

25) Hughes Airwest is correct with DC9 series 10 service on a routing of LAS-GCN-PHX!

jlemon Sep 2, 2012 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 19239182)
Thanks for the great questions, Mr. Lemon! We're getting cold rain and snow here in Denali this morning. Our bottle to throttle policy prohibits me from joining you with a glass of fine red wine, (I'm off to work in an hour) but my personal blend of Sumatran and dark roast Colombian coffee beans should suffice nicely. Tempted though I am to have a go at more of your questions, let me take a stab at just six and if there are more unanswered later this evening then I'll try a few more then.

And here's how you did, Seat 2A:

2) Correct!

3) An excellent guess and British United is correct! See my response to WHBM for the rest of the story.....

6) Pan Am with B727-200 nonstop service IAH-SEA is correct!

11) And the three airlines flying jet equipment from SJC to OAK at this time were:

Air Cal with B737-200s
PSA with B727-200s
Republic with DC9-30s

16) Eastern is correct; however, EA was flying A300s twice a day nonstop between CLT and LGA at this time.

17) BWIA a.k.a BeeWee is correct!

jlemon Sep 2, 2012 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by WHBM (Post 19239450)
Just to chip in here, the fourth city (and country) on the original BUA routing was Montevideo in Uruguay. Sao Paolo in those days didn't have an airport capable of handling long-haul jets, and it was normal for a Brazilian carrier to operate a connecting aircraft from Rio. Meanwhile Montevideo was a significant commercial point in those days, and several UK businesses had commercial contacts there. There was a considerable meat import business from Uruguay to Britain by ship at the time. Surprising how things change.

Lisbon or Madrid ? Well, BUA used to stop off at either, alternately, to try and pick up some extra traffic. They also stopped at Las Palmas in the Canary Islands before crossing the Atlantic. A later schedule change introduced faster one-stop services from London to Buenos Aires, which stopped halfway at Freetown in Sierra Leone, West Africa, an established BUA point (BUA had a half-share in local carrier Sierra Leone Airways).

Absolutely spot on, WHBM! But then again, we would expect nothing less, sir!

And the connecting flights to and from Sao Paulo via Rio De Janeiro were indeed handled by a Brazilian airline at this time, being VASP with "special" Vickers Viscount turboprop service.

WHBM Sep 2, 2012 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 19240238)
1) Well, I do not believe that BCal ever served Bangor (BGR)

There were times when B Cal actually had multiple flights a day at Bangor.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=2906,1094733

That's not even the largest operation they had there (the freight from there to Europe, incidentally, is principally fresh seafood, especially Maine lobsters). Apparently the Holiday Inn there was quite a little hotspot for the crews. I'm a bit busy now, more later.

CubsFanJohn Sep 2, 2012 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon:19240370

Originally Posted by CubsFanJohn (Post 19238064)
I was born about 9 years after 1981 so I missed most of these cool routes. :(

6. PanAm on a 747-100 or 747-200. Most likely came off an Asia run not sure though.

10. The only one I can think of is US Airways via Pittsburgh.

11. AirCalifornia (737-200), Hughes Air West (727) and Pacific Southwest Airlines (727)

13. PanAm Boeing 747-100/200 and Eastern Airbus 300

15. Northwest Orient and Pan Am

21. Boeing 747 they also operated DC8's, 727 and a Lockheed TriStar.

23. Republic/Hughes Air West. It was either a DC-9 or a 727.

24. Republic/Hughes Air West. DC-9 Service.

4) According to the OAG, Western was not flying DEN-LGW at this time. But Arrow Air was:

JW 712: DEN-LGW Remarks: operated on Sundays only
JW 714: DEN-LGW Remarks: operated on Saturdays only

Equipment was a Super DC-8 (either a series 60 or re-engined series 70 aircraft)

6) Pan Am is correct; however, they were not flying a 747 between IAH and SEA.

10) No, it was not US via PIT. In fact, it was another airline. Please guess again!

11) Air Cal with 73S SJC-OAK service and PSA with 72S SJC-OAK service are correct! However, Hughes Airwest was no longer in operation at this time.

13) Eastern and Pan Am are correct! PA did indeed operate a daily B747 IAH-JFK service; however, EA was actually operating an L1011 on the route at this time.

15) Correct!

21) Air Canada with B747 service YYZ-MIA is correct!

23) I think you meant 23) here and not 21).....anyway, Hughes Airwest is correct with D9S service nonstop twice a day between TUS and HOU!

24) Hughes Airwest is correct with DC9 series 10 service on a routing of LAS-GCN-PHX!

I must have made a typo. That's what I get for doing it at 3am LOL!

Regarding number 10 new guess Pidemont via CLT on a LAX.

jlemon Sep 2, 2012 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by WHBM (Post 19240768)
There were times when B Cal actually had multiple flights a day at Bangor.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=2906,1094733

That's not even the largest operation they had there (the freight from there to Europe, incidentally, is principally fresh seafood, especially Maine lobsters). Apparently the Holiday Inn there was quite a little hotspot for the crews. I'm a bit busy now, more later.

Extremely interesting, WHBM!

However, if I'm reading your attached article correctly, BGR was approved as a "cargo flag stop" only for BCal. As you well know, my quiz items only deal with scheduled passenger operations! And therein lies the question: was BCal also approved to board and deplane pax at BGR as well?

Quite intriguing and I know we are all looking forward to your elucidation!

jlemon Sep 2, 2012 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by CubsFanJohn (Post 19241262)
I must have made a typo. That's what I get for doing it at 3am LOL!

Regarding number 10 new guess Pidemont via CLT on a LAX.

10) A good guess! However, the airline was not Piedmont!

BTW, I have fond memories of flying round trip on the PI LAX-CLT nonstop on board a brand new B767-200 in first class back when the carrier had just introduced the 762 into their fleet. Seating in the front cabin was 2-1-2 with sleeper seats as Piedmont had primarily purchased 767 equipment for their new transatlantic service at the time....and the domestic first class service on this aircraft and route was excellent!

However, PI had been acquired by US by this time. So here's a couple of hints: the year was 1996 and the intermediate stop made by the B737-400 between LAX and SJU was in Florida.

Skylink USA Sep 2, 2012 10:28 pm

Oh, I started a mess by mentioning Bangor and BCAL! :P

jlemon Sep 3, 2012 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Skylink USA (Post 19242209)
Oh, I started a mess by mentioning Bangor and BCAL! :P

Of course not! I was merely pulling WHBM's leg a tad with regard to the "cargo flag stop" question. And as many of us know, sometimes the cargo transported beneath the passengers can be far more lucrative to the carrier's bottom line than the transportation of people.

So I'm looking forward to hearing more about this. For example, was the stop published beforehand in BCal's timetable? Were passengers boarding in Houston made aware of it long before they ever set foot in the aircraft? Was stopover traffic permitted? The coast of Maine is lovely place during certain times of the year as we discovered last fall....

Seat 2A Sep 3, 2012 11:04 am

Thanks again for the great questions, jlemon. I'll try a few more this morning and if nobody has answered some of the other questions by later today, I'll take a stab at them then.

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 19237504)
5) Name an airline that operated direct, one stop service between London Gatwick (LGW) and Papeete, Tahiti (PPT). Also identify the aircraft type used.

I just can't get past Air New Zealand on this one. If indeed they did fly this route, I should imagine they did so with a DC-10-30. I had the good fortune to fly First Class aboard an Air New Zealand DC-10 from LAX to Papeete in July of 1981. To this day, the dinner service remains one of the best and most diverse I can ever remember having enjoyed aloft.

Los Angeles to Papeete

DINNER

To Begin

Assorted Hors D’Oeuvre

Appetizer
Montana Brook Trout Grenobloise

Soup
Shrimp Bisque

Salad
Freshly Tossed Garden Salad
With Italienne or Mayonnaise Dressing

Entrees

Tournedos Maitre d’Hotel

Pheasant Souvaroff

Roast Loin of Pork Charcutiere

Hare Bourguignonne

Southland Venison with Potato Dumplings

Crayfish Cardinal

Accompaniments
Noisette Potatoes
Lima Beans
Baby Carrots
Braised Celery

Dessert
Cherries Jubilee

Selection of New Zealand Cheeses

Fresh Fruit Basket

Chocolates

REFRESHMENTS

Various Brochettes
King Prawns Louise
Open Sandwiches
Hot Savouries

8) This airline operated jet service between Mobile, AL (MOB) and Gulfport, MS (GPT). Identify the airline, the jet equipment used on the route and the number of flights flown every weekday from MOB to GPT and also from GPT to MOB.

Let's go with Republic, using DC-9-10s and/or DC-9-30s. As to frequency, well... three sounds like a good round number.

9) What was the only airline ever to offer first class service as well as coach between Dallas Love Field (DAL) and Beaumont/Port Arthur, TX (BPT)? Also identify the aircraft they flew.

It seems like it would be AA or BN, but I seem to remember Eastern Airlines also serving BPT so what the heck - let's go with The Wings of Man, using a DC-9 of some type.

10) What airline operated daily direct, one stop service from Los Angeles (LAX) to San Juan (SJU) with Boeing 737-400 equipment? Also identify the intermediate stop.

Carnival Airlines operated 737-400s. I don't know if they operated them out of Los Angeles, but I think at this point we're running out of options as it surely wasn't Alaska Airlines. So I'm going to go with Carnival, routing via Ft. Lauderdale.

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 19244324)
Of course not! I was merely pulling WHBM's leg a tad with regard to the "cargo flag stop" question. And as many of us know, sometimes the cargo transported beneath the passengers can be far more lucrative to the carrier's bottom line than the transportation of people.

So I'm looking forward to hearing more about this. For example, was the stop published beforehand in BCal's timetable? Were passengers boarding in Houston made aware of it long before they ever set foot in the aircraft? Was stopover traffic permitted? The coast of Maine is lovely place during certain times of the year as we discovered last fall....

Anything is possible I suppose, but it is hard to imagine that outside of a refueling stop any international airline, much less B-Cal, would ever be selling passenger tickets to or from Bangor.