FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1282073-old-timers-airline-quiz-discussion.html)

jlemon Sep 23, 2012 1:06 pm

I'll attempt to answer a few of the latest questions posed by Seat 2A......

7. Mexicana de Aviacion. MX operated the "Cometa" from LAX to MEX during the early and mid 60's, but I'm not sure if they were still flying the Comet on this route in 1966. The nonstop flight between Los Angeles and Mexico City featured "Jet Azteca de Oro" ("Golden Aztec Jet") service. Mexicana also operated Comet service several days a week on a LAX-MZT-GDL-MEX routing at this same time. In addition, MX operated Comet service between San Antonio and Mexico City via an intermediate stop in Guadalajara, so it may be this flight you are referring to.

Mexicana eventually replaced their Comets with B727s, a number of which were equipped with JATO systems for operations from hot and high airfields.....

12. Braniff International. And they did, too.....

14. Air Wisconsin operating as United Express. I flew on a BAe 146-300 round trip between SBA and DEN that was an Air Wis aircraft. I also think that Santa Barbara may have been the only city in California to see BAe 146-300 service, although other 146 models, principally the series 200, were very much in evidence in the Golden State at one point as they were flown by AirCal, Aspen, PSA, Royal West, Tristar and WestAir (operating as United Express). Pacific Express also had BAe 146s on order as a replacement for their BAC One-Eleven aircraft but never took delivery of any of them due to the financial collapse of this air carrier.

20. Hughes Airwest. RW 706, a DC-9-31, had departed LAX on June 6, 1971 on a flight to SLC when just shortly after take off on the climb out from the L.A. basin, a mid air collision occurred with a USMC F-4B Phantom II that was inbound to MCAS El Toro on a VFR flight plan. The accident took place over the San Gabriel Mountains near Duarte, CA. This was a truly terrible accident as no one on board either aircraft survived (I was aware of this mid air but looked up the details). The D9S operating flight RW 706 had an older Air West paint scheme.

Hughes Airwest then subsequently introduced their bright yellow "Top Banana in the West" livery......

Seat 2A Sep 23, 2012 2:31 pm

Good morning everyone from sunny Alaska. Last night was a late one while wishing a couple of co-workers adventurous travels on their upcoming three month journey to South America. I've only just woken up to hot coffee and a tight game between the 49ers and the Vikings. My game comes on later this afternoon (Broncos-Texans) but in the meantime I see the Saints are leading the Chiefs which should make jlemon happy if by chance he's a Saints fan.

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 19369901)
I'll attempt to answer a few of the latest questions posed by Seat 2A......

7. You want to fly aboard a De Havilland Comet. The U.S. city you depart from doesn’t matter, nor does the destination. What airlines would you consider?

Mexicana de Aviacion. MX operated the "Cometa" from LAX to MEX during the early and mid 60's, but I'm not sure if they were still flying the Comet on this route in 1966. The nonstop flight between Los Angeles and Mexico City featured "Jet Azteca de Oro" ("Golden Aztec Jet") service. Mexicana also operated Comet service several days a week on a LAX-MZT-GDL-MEX routing at this same time. In addition, MX operated Comet service between San Antonio and Mexico City via an intermediate stop in Guadalajara, so it may be this flight you are referring to.

Mexicana eventually replaced their Comets with B727s, a number of which were equipped with JATO systems for operations from hot and high airfields.....

Correct! In the March 1966 schedule, Mexicana operated its Comets on a number of US routes as well as one Caribbean one. Here are the flights departing the U.S.:

MX 700 DAL-MTY-MEX
MX 703 DAL-MEX
MX 801 ORD-MEX
MX 803 ORD-MEX-ACA
MX 901 LAX-MEX
MX 911 LAX-MZT-GDL-MEX

Additionally, MX ran an enticing route out to Jamaica with its Comets...

MX 305 MEX-MID-MBJ-KIN

Oh, to have been a bit older with a healthy bank account back in those days...

Now it should be noted that the question did indicate airlines, and as such there is one more airline that operated Comets into two cities in the U.S.. I'll leave that out there for now...

12. Braniff International. And they did, too.....

That's right. An interesting side note per Wikipedia: In 1968, under the leadership of Mary Wells and Jack Tinker, Braniff expanded the advertising campaign that showed the likenesses of Andy Warhol, Sonny Liston, Salvador Dalí, Whitey Ford, the Playboy Bunny, and other celebrities of the time, all flying Braniff. It became one of the most celebrated marketing efforts Madison Avenue had ever produced, blending style and arrogance. One advertising slogan was "if you've got it — flaunt it!" Although management considered the campaign a success, Braniff's core customers were outraged by the grandiose behavior and perceived "bragging", causing many corporate accounts to leave Braniff.

How times have changed. These days hardly anyone would bat an eye at an ad like this...

20. Hughes Airwest. RW 706, a DC-9-31, had departed LAX on June 6, 1971 on a flight to SLC when just shortly after take off on the climb out from the L.A. basin, a mid air collision occurred with a USMC F-4B Phantom II that was inbound to MCAS El Toro on a VFR flight plan. The accident took place over the San Gabriel Mountains near Duarte, CA. This was a truly terrible accident as no one on board either aircraft survived (I was aware of this mid air but looked up the details). The D9S operating flight RW 706 had an older Air West paint scheme.

Hughes Airwest then subsequently introduced their bright yellow "Top Banana in the West" livery......

You couldn't have answered this any better if you had worked for Hughes Airwest. Thanks for the detail!

miniliq Sep 24, 2012 7:50 am

Greetings from post-Isaac MSY. Our "evacuation" turned into a three-week vacation roaming around BC and Alberta. Now that we're back, after a few days of yard work cleaning up debris and preparing for another trip, I've had a chance to read through all of the posts I've missed, and I see enough questions to last awhile.

First, let me tackle a few of the latest from Seat 2A:

1. Two airlines – one foreign and one domestic – offered nonstop service between New York and Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic. Name the airlines and the equipment used on these flights.

One is Pan Am alternating between 707s or DC-8s. The other would be Viasa, with either 880s or DC-8s.

2. Air France, Pan Am and TWA all offered nonstop service between New York and Paris, France. So did two other airlines. Name those airlines and the equipment used on the route.

Olympic and El Al with 707s.

3. Pan Am offered one stop 727 service between Miami and Barranquilla, Colombia. We’re more interested in the nonstop flights offered on this route by two Colombian airlines. Name those airlines and the equipment they used on this route.

Avianca using a 707 (I think); plus Aerocondor, using a DC-6.

10. Name the only airline to offer direct service between New York and Nandi, Fiji.

BOAC and Qantas shared that honor -- 3 days a week the flight was BA, 4 days it was QF -- Boeing 707. It's not clear to me who actually operated the flight -- perhaps you can explain it.

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 19366559)
Great stuff, Mr. Lemon! And kudos to your Dad for his fine work on the Apollo missions and the Space Shuttle!

I certainly second that motion -- very interesting background.

In four days I will be leaving Alaska for a month and a half road trip involving planes, trains, busses, ferries and a number of rental cars. The time involved in traveling as well as putting together a trip report in combination with the fact that I won’t have access to any of my OAGs or schedules means that I won’t be submitting any further questions during this time. jlemon has already indicated that he's planning to take a break from submitting large groups of questions and since WHBM’s departure and the corresponding drop off in participation in this thread, it’s possible that the lack of any questions from me over the next couple of months would be of no consequence regardless.

You and jlemon have left enough questions to keep the rest of us busy I suspect, but we look forward to your report. I apologize for not keeping up my participation during my recent travels.

Now for a question of my own, involving the current world. I spent 90 minutes on the phone with an airline rep last night trying to change two flights in a ten-segment pseudo-mileage run itinerary I have planned for next weekend. The main proposed change was from a non-stop flight to a 5-stop flight between the same two cities, on the same airline. This 5-stop flight is one I've always wanted to experience -- it only flies twice a week, and at the risk of giving it away, it involves islands.

Alas, there were no seats available for my preferred date. Can you name the airline, equipment, and most of all, the stops?

miniliq Sep 24, 2012 8:36 am

7. You want to fly aboard a De Havilland Comet. The U.S. city you depart from doesn’t matter, nor does the destination. What airlines would you consider? PARTLY ANSWERED (Mexicana... Still one more airline left...)

AREA Ecuador used a Comet 4 (their first jet service) between Quito and Miami 1966-70.

miniliq Sep 24, 2012 11:59 am

14. What airline was the only U.S. operator of the BAe 146-300?

Air Wisconsin (ZW) took delivery of five in 1988-89 and, operating as United Express, had service from Appleton (ATW) to Chicago, Green Bay (GRB), Stevens Point (STE) and Wasau (AUW) in October 1989. Probably had more routes the following year.

jlemon Sep 24, 2012 2:38 pm

Dupe post.....sorry!

jlemon Sep 24, 2012 2:39 pm

Here's my attempt to answer several more of Seat 2A's latest quiz items...

5. Well, I thought this might be Braniff International.....but the year is 1966.

So let's go with Panagra (Pan American-Grace Airways) probably with a DC-8 (featuring "El Interamericano" jet service) on several different routings depending on the day of the week such as SFO-LAX-GUA-PTY-LIM or SFO-LAX-GUA-PTY-CLO-LIM......

I believe Braniff acquired Panagra in the late 60's and subsequently operated DC-8-62 aircraft from SFO and LAX down to Latin America.....

16. This has gotta be Aspen Airways. Jet equipment was the BAe 146. Aspen also operated Convair 580 turboprops.

And now to the airline interiors....

29. I'll guess Alaska Airlines first class on board a B727-100.

31. Virgin America on aboard an Airbus A319 or A320?

32. Sure looks like a very groovy Braniff International B727 interior in coach! And I think I dated the hippie girl sitting by the window back in the day.....

BONUS QUESTION: Looks like a "cocktail volcano" as presented by Western Airlines on board their west coast-Hawaii "Islander" service which was flown with B707, B720B and DC-10 equipment. ......

Seat 2A Sep 24, 2012 6:41 pm

Welcome home, miniliq! Western Canada certainly is one of the prettiest places on the planet. I hope that you and Mrs. M enjoyed it all under predominantly sunny skies, especially the Ice Fields Parkway if your travels took you out that way.

Now, let me tackle a few of these answers:

Originally Posted by miniliq (Post 19373720)

1. Two airlines – one foreign and one domestic – offered nonstop service between New York and Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic. Name the airlines and the equipment used on these flights.

One is Pan Am alternating between 707s or DC-8s. The other would be Viasa, with either 880s or DC-8s.

Correcto, Señor! The equipment for many of Pan Am's flights is listed simply as "JET", so 707 or DC-8 ~ Quien sabe? In VIASA's case, the equipment was clearly listed as a DC-8.

2. Air France, Pan Am and TWA all offered nonstop service between New York and Paris, France. So did two other airlines. Name those airlines and the equipment used on the route.

Olympic and El Al with 707s.

έχετε δίκιο about Olympic. Additionally, אתה צודק, הצדק אתך about El Al. The 707 was the aircraft of choice for both airlines.

3. Pan Am offered one stop 727 service between Miami and Barranquilla, Colombia. We’re more interested in the nonstop flights offered on this route by two Colombian airlines. Name those airlines and the equipment they used on this route.

Avianca using a 707 (I think); plus Aerocondor, using a DC-6.

AeroCondor did indeed utilize a DC-6 on this route. So, between Pan Am and AeroCondor both Boeing and Douglas aircraft are well represented. Avianca rounded it out with an aircraft from a different manufacturer, and that airplane would have been the iconic ___________________.

10. Name the only airline to offer direct service between New York and Nandi, Fiji.

BOAC and Qantas shared that honor -- 3 days a week the flight was BA, 4 days it was QF -- Boeing 707. It's not clear to me who actually operated the flight -- perhaps you can explain it.

Per the March 1966 OAG, this flight is listed only as being operated by Qantas with no indication of a code-sharing agreement. That's not to say the agreement you describe didn't happen or wasn't happening at that time but the schedule I have doesn't indicate it. By the way, the routing was LHR-JFK-SF0-HNL-NAN-SYD.

7. You want to fly aboard a De Havilland Comet. The U.S. city you depart from doesn’t matter, nor does the destination. What airlines would you consider? PARTLY ANSWERED (Mexicana... Still one more airline left...)

AREA Ecuador used a Comet 4 (their first jet service) between Quito and Miami 1966-70.

When I researched this question, I specifically checked service into Miami out of both Quito and Guayaquil, fully expecting to find those Comet flights operated by AREA. None are listed in the March 1966 OAG. A bit of research indicates that the Comet (HC-ALT) was delivered to AREA in 1966, though a casual search failed to turn up exactly when in 1966. I can only assume that it must have been later than March. As such, there's still one more airline to consider...

14. What airline was the only U.S. operator of the BAe 146-300?

miniliq:Air Wisconsin (ZW) took delivery of five in 1988-89 and, operating as United Express, had service from Appleton (ATW) to Chicago, Green Bay (GRB), Stevens Point (STE) and Wasau (AUW) in October 1989. Probably had more routes the following year.

jlemon: Air Wisconsin operating as United Express. I flew on a BAe 146-300 round trip between SBA and DEN that was an Air Wis aircraft. I also think that Santa Barbara may have been the only city in California to see BAe 146-300 service, although other 146 models, principally the series 200, were very much in evidence in the Golden State at one point as they were flown by AirCal, Aspen, PSA, Royal West, Tristar and WestAir (operating as United Express). Pacific Express also had BAe 146s on order as a replacement for their BAC One-Eleven aircraft but never took delivery of any of them due to the financial collapse of this air carrier.

My apologies to jlemon for neglecting to credit him with having correctly answered this question with his usual fine detail. miniliq is also correct and so we thank you both for a most entertaining and eduacational answer.

And now to make an attempt at miniliq's question...

Now for a question of my own, involving the current world. I spent 90 minutes on the phone with an airline rep last night trying to change two flights in a ten-segment pseudo-mileage run itinerary I have planned for next weekend. The main proposed change was from a non-stop flight to a 5-stop flight between the same two cities, on the same airline. This 5-stop flight is one I've always wanted to experience -- it only flies twice a week, and at the risk of giving it away, it involves islands.

Alas, there were no seats available for my preferred date. Can you name the airline, equipment, and most of all, the stops?

This sounds an awful lot like Continental/Air Micronesia/United's Honolulu to Guam service. The big hint was when you mentioned islands, but who knows - maybe there's an island hopper in the Caribbean as well... It could even be aboard Alaska's flight 65 which currently routes SEA-KTN-WRG-PSG-JNU-ANC. Wrangell and Petersburg are on islands. But then that's a daily service. The old (and still current?) Air Mike routing was via Majuro, Kwajalein, Ponape, Truk and Guam but since you mentioned five stops I'd have to guess you'd be going to Palau or Yap. Still, there are no nonstops from Honolulu to those islands, are there? Maybe there's a five stopper to Manila? Anyway, that's my final answer, I guess - Honolulu to Manila aboard a United 737-800 routing via Majuro, Kwajalein, Ponape, Truk and Guam.

Seat 2A Sep 24, 2012 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 19376421)
Here's my attempt to answer several more of Seat 2A's latest quiz items...

5. Although there were no nonstops between Los Angeles and Lima, Peru, one airline provided a direct service. Name the airline and the aircraft utilized. You may also win friends and admirers if you can breakdown the route.

Well, I thought this might be Braniff International.....but the year is 1966. So let's go with Panagra (Pan American-Grace Airways) probably with a DC-8 (featuring "El Interamericano" jet service) on several different routings depending on the day of the week such as SFO-LAX-GUA-PTY-LIM or SFO-LAX-GUA-PTY-CLO-LIM...... I believe Braniff acquired Panagra in the late 60's and subsequently operated DC-8-62 aircraft from SFO and LAX down to Latin America.....

Braniff did indeed acquire Panagra in 1967 (I think..., or close to it) but per the March 1966 OAG, there was a different airline operating the direct service between LAX and Lima. That airline was ___________________, utilizing a _____________ along the following routing: _________________.

16. What U.S. airline – a jet operator – was named after a tree?

This has gotta be Aspen Airways. Jet equipment was the BAe 146. Aspen also operated Convair 580 turboprops.

Right on, Mr. Lemon! My first ever flight aboard a BAe-146 was with Aspen Airways back in 1985. Seating was in a very tight 3-3 configuration, but then it was only a 30 minute flight...

And now to the airline interiors....

29. I'll guess Alaska Airlines first class on board a B727-100.

Это правильно, Sir! My friend Jon Proctor provides an excellent trip report on Alaska's "Golden Samovar Service" featured in that photograph. You can read all about it right HERE.

31. Virgin America on aboard an Airbus A319 or A320?

That's right! I believe the seats are manufactured by Recaro.

32. Sure looks like a very groovy Braniff International B727 interior in coach! And I think I dated the hippie girl sitting by the window back in the day.....

Right on, man! Those colors are pretty shocking by today's conservative standards, but then back in the 1970s most all of the airlines had wildly colorful interiors by today's standards.

BONUS QUESTION: Looks like a "cocktail volcano" as presented by Western Airlines on board their west coast-Hawaii "Islander" service which was flown with B707, B720B and DC-10 equipment. ......

Correct! Western's Islander Service to Hawaii was one of the finest of its day, offering complimentary Islander Punch for everyone. I believe it was only served from the "volcano" in First Class. Unfortunately, the volcano was extinct by the time I'd managed to log a few flights aboard Western's First Class to Honolulu in the early 80s. However, I remain eternally grateful to the Western flight attendant who on a flight from Honolulu to Anchorage introduced me to the pleasure of Amaretto on my ice cream sundae instead of fudge.

http://images15.fotki.com/v230/photo...SERVICE-vi.jpg
Western's Islander Flights to Hawaii

Additionally, these older questions still remain unanswered...

2. Which airline advertised “Steak and Karats” on some of its longer meal flights?

4. In January of 1973, how many daily 747s were scheduled on nonstop flights between New York and Los Angeles? Which airlines operated them?

5. This airline’s Hawaiian flights featured food and drinks from Don The Beachcomber restaurants.

10. What U.S. airline was the launch customer for the Convair 880? Additionally, what was the second U.S. airline to place the 880 into service? And the third?

16. Name the five foreign airlines that provided nonstop – though not necessarily daily – service between Montreal and New York as of December 1990.

18. What was the first airline in the world to board one million passengers in one city in one month? See if you can figure out which city as well.

19. Through the sixties, many airlines proudly touted becoming an all-jet fleet. What was the first airline to operate an “all-Turbofan Fleet” and in what year was this accomplished?

21. Founded back in 1997 as WestJet Express in Enterprise, Nevada, this airline took on its new name and operating certificate in 1998, after a trademark dispute with West Jet Air Center of Rapid City, South Dakota.

23. What was the first U.S. airline to charge a fee for each checked bag?

25. On July 2nd, 1982, this U.S. airline became the first to operate a jet flight flown by an all-female crew – Captain, First Officer and three Flight Attendants. Which airline was this? What type of aircraft was it?

BONUS: Which of these airlines never offered a First Class cabin? (The may be more than one…)

Jet America
New York Air
People Express
Ozark
North Central
Trans-Texas
Frontier
Air Florida
Southern

N965VJ Sep 25, 2012 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 19378110)
10. What U.S. airline was the launch customer for the Convair 880?

TW? I think Howard Hughes tried to convince Convair to have the fuselages skinned in anodized aluminum to give the appearance of being "gold".

jlemon Sep 25, 2012 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 19378110)
Additionally, these older questions still remain unanswered...

2. Which airline advertised “Steak and Karats” on some of its longer meal flights?

4. In January of 1973, how many daily 747s were scheduled on nonstop flights between New York and Los Angeles? Which airlines operated them?

5. This airline’s Hawaiian flights featured food and drinks from Don The Beachcomber restaurants.

10. What U.S. airline was the launch customer for the Convair 880? Additionally, what was the second U.S. airline to place the 880 into service? And the third?

16. Name the five foreign airlines that provided nonstop – though not necessarily daily – service between Montreal and New York as of December 1990.

18. What was the first airline in the world to board one million passengers in one city in one month? See if you can figure out which city as well.

19. Through the sixties, many airlines proudly touted becoming an all-jet fleet. What was the first airline to operate an “all-Turbofan Fleet” and in what year was this accomplished?

21. Founded back in 1997 as WestJet Express in Enterprise, Nevada, this airline took on its new name and operating certificate in 1998, after a trademark dispute with West Jet Air Center of Rapid City, South Dakota.

23. What was the first U.S. airline to charge a fee for each checked bag?

25. On July 2nd, 1982, this U.S. airline became the first to operate a jet flight flown by an all-female crew – Captain, First Officer and three Flight Attendants. Which airline was this? What type of aircraft was it?

BONUS: Which of these airlines never offered a First Class cabin? (The may be more than one…)

Jet America
New York Air
People Express
Ozark
North Central
Trans-Texas
Frontier
Air Florida
Southern

2. Alaska Airlines. I seem to remember a promotion where I think AS was handing out little gold bars (the "karats"). And I certainly recall the excellent steak dinner service in first on board their B727-200 aircraft between SEA and ANC back in the day.

4. I'll make a wild guess. American, TWA and United with two (2) B747 flights each per day (total of six per day between the three carriers).

10. I think the first U.S. carrier to introduce the Convair 880 was actually Delta. I flew on an 880 just once. It was a DL flight from IAH to ATL.

19. "Northwest: The Fanjet Airline". I'm not sure of the year but it was probably right after NW phased out their Lockheed L-188 Electra turboprops.

BONUS: Southern Airways. Even though SO was the "Route of the Aristocrats", I believe they only offered coach on their DC9 and D9S aircraft, which they called Standard (S) class.

Seat 2A Sep 25, 2012 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by N965VJ (Post 19381369)
TW? I think Howard Hughes tried to convince Convair to have the fuselages skinned in anodized aluminum to give the appearance of being "gold".

TWA would seem to be the correct choice given Howard Hughes' involvement (some would say interference in the 880 project, but alas, it was a different airline. In fact, TWA ultimately became the [i[third[/i] airline to operate the 880.

BTW, I've logged a couple of flights aboard your FT namesake back in 1977. What's the connection for you to this aircraft?

Seat 2A Sep 25, 2012 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 19383406)

Alaska Airlines. I seem to remember a promotion where I think AS was handing out little gold bars (the "karats"). And I certainly recall the excellent steak dinner service in first on board their B727-200 aircraft between SEA and ANC back in the day.

You've a good memory, Mr. Lemon! I received one of those 1 gram gold ingots while flying First Class aboard a brand new 727-290 between San Francisco and Seattle back in 1979. We were served a three course meal but the meat was more like a beef brisket than a sirloin steak. It was still a good feed though - especially for an hour and forty-five minute flight - and those old First Class seats were alot more comfortable and spacious than those found aboard Alaska's 737s today. (They were probably alot heavier, as well)

http://images42.fotki.com/v664/photo...INESAD2-vi.jpg

I'll make a wild guess. American, TWA and United with two (2) B747 flights each per day (total of six per day between the three carriers).

That's all I could ask for on a question like this. You've got the airlines correct but the total number was five ~ two each for AA and TW, and just one for UA.

I think the first U.S. carrier to introduce the Convair 880 was actually Delta. I flew on an 880 just once. It was a DL flight from IAH to ATL.

And you would be correct! Northeast was second, and TWA third. There's an interesting article detailing all of this right HERE. I was fortunate to have logged two flights aboard 880s, both of them aboard TWA. I remember my last one between Denver and New York-JFK because the Captain announced over the PA that we had a ground speed of over 700 mph. You can only imagine my disappointment when we subsequently arrived in New York almost 40 minutes early!

"Northwest: The Fanjet Airline". I'm not sure of the year but it was probably right after NW phased out their Lockheed L-188 Electra turboprops.

Right, you are! According to this short history, the year would have been 1963. The "article" incorrectly states that NW had retired its last propellor aircraft by 1963 (They did retire their purejet DC-8s in late 1963) but as we all know, Northwest was still operating Electras into the late 1960s, so I assume the "Fan-Jet Airline" would have applied only to Northwest Orient's jets. That said, the question did state all turbo-fan fleet, so I may have jumped the gun a bit with this question. While it may have been Northwest, I'd welcome any other thoughts on who might have operated the first "all turbo-fan fleet"

BONUS QUESTION: Which of these airlines never offered a First Class cabin? (The may be more than one…)

Jet America
New York Air
People Express
Ozark
North Central
Trans-Texas
Frontier
Air Florida
Southern

Southern Airways. Even though SO was the "Route of the Aristocrats", I believe they only offered coach on their DC9 and D9S aircraft, which they called Standard (S) class.

Southern would be correct, however there was another airline or perhaps even airlines that also did not ever offer First or Business Class.

N965VJ Sep 27, 2012 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 19384218)
BTW, I've logged a couple of flights aboard your FT namesake back in 1977. What's the connection for you to this aircraft?

Cool! I was a FA for 15 years at US. When the DC-9 fleet started to be retired, I salvaged the plastic cover that went over the cabin ACARS panel off of 965 (complete with graffiti inside :D). I should dig it up and post a photo.

Seat 2A Oct 4, 2012 9:21 pm

http://images54.fotki.com/v563/photo...INESAD3-vi.jpg
First Class to Hawaii in the good old days

Well gang, I suspect we've reached the end of the line on this thread. I'd like to thank everyone who contributed questions and answers over the past year and hope you all get to add abundantly to your personal flight logs in the coming months. I understand some of you may be heading over to England for a get together with WHBM, and for any of you who do here's wishing you a good time and a chance to enjoy checking out some classic airliners.

I'm on my way down to Antonito, Colorado for a ride tomorrow aboard the Cumbres & Toltec narrow gauge railway. Next week I'll be riding the ferry across Lake Michigan, then on to a bedroom aboard Amtrak's Texas Eagle from Chicago down to Austin, and then possibly on to New Orleans and fly to Florida for another train ride. It'll be a busy autumn. Happy travels, all!

http://images42.fotki.com/v663/photo...FORWARD-vi.jpg
First Class to Hawaii in the good old days