Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

33. What was the first scheduled airline in the United Kingdom to fly from all three main London airports? (Heathrow, Gatwick and Stanstead)
Air UK
Old Feb 8, 2019, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

28. I have identified eight U.S. capital cities that once received mainline jet service but now, in 1991, are served only by propeller driven aircraft. Identify each of the eight cities along with the airline(s) that once served them with jets.
28. I'll try six of these....

* Augusta, Maine (AUG) - Northeast (NE), DC-9-30
* Cheyenne, Wyoming (CYS) - Western (WA), B737-200
* Pierre, South Dakota (PIR) - Western (WA), B737-200
* Salem, Oregon (SLE) - United (UA), B737-200
* Topeka, Kansas (TOP) - Midway (ML) - DC-9-10
* Trenton, New Jersey (TTN) - United (UA), B727-200
Old Feb 8, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: BA
Have sympathy all WHBM is broken down right next to Westminster Abbey at 11pm with a blown radiator hose .
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by KT550
33. What was the first scheduled airline in the United Kingdom to fly from all three main London airports? (Heathrow, Gatwick and Stanstead)

Air UK

Right on. ^
Old Feb 8, 2019, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
28. I have identified eight U.S. capital cities that once received mainline jet service but now, in 1991, are served only by propeller driven aircraft. Identify each of the eight cities along with the airline(s) that once served them with jets.

I'll try six of these....

* Augusta, Maine (AUG) - Northeast (NE), DC-9-30 Incorrect I did a fair bit of checking, thinking that surely Northeast must've served Augusta with its DC-9-30s. I can find no evidence of such. If you can, please let us know!
* Cheyenne, Wyoming (CYS) - Western (WA), B737-200 Correct!
* Pierre, South Dakota (PIR) - Western (WA), B737-200 Correct!
* Salem, Oregon (SLE) - United (UA), B737-200 Correct!
* Topeka, Kansas (TOP) - Midway (ML) - DC-9-10
Correct! I believe Frontier may also have served Topeka with 737s
* Trenton, New Jersey (TTN) - United (UA), B727-200 Correct! Didn't East Wind also fly through here? From BOS & GSO
Old Feb 8, 2019, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Alright then, here are a few more questions. As always, most of you guys are so smart that you could answer most or all of these simple queries in one fell swoop so please, limit your response to just two questions at a time so that others may have a decent chance of participating. Once I've addressed your correct response, feel free to answer a couple more - even if it's the same day. Good luck! (As if you pros need any of that!)

The following quiz items have a time line of the winter of 1986....

1. You’ve just pushed back from the gate in Mexico City and are on your way to the runway when you spot not one but two elderly 707s parked at an adjacent terminal. Identify the two airlines flying cheduled passenger flights with 707s into MEX
LAP Lineas Aereas Paraguayas has been identified. Still looking for one more airline.

2. Since Air Jamaica retired its DC-8s, the big four engine jetliner has been a rare sight at Montego Bay’s Sangster International Airport. These days MBJ is served by a single daily D8S and you’re about to board it! Which airline are you flying and where are you flying to?

3. You’re on Koror where it’s been a great week of diving and exploring submerged WWII ships. Now it’s time to return to Honolulu. Surprisingly, Air Mike only serves Honolulu via a connection in Guam. But wait! There’s another option – a 2-stop direct flight that just happens to be leaving Koror on Sunday afternoon. Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops.

4. You’re off to Belize City for a week of diving at Roatan. Life could hardly get any better but it does when you’re informed that the flight taking you from Miami down to Belize City is operated with widebody equipment. What airline will you be flying on and what is the equipment?

5. Your job has you commuting regularly between Dusseldorf and London’s Heathrow International Airport. Three airlines serve this route – two of them with narrow bodied equipment and the other with three different models of wide bodied equipment. The latter is your airline of choice. Identify that airline and the three models of wide body equipment that it operates on the DUS-LHR route.

6. You’re in Manchester, England and need to travel to Gibraltar to deliver a yacht to Palma on the island of Mallorca. A call to your travel agent reveals that only one airline serves GIB from MAN so you quickly book a flight. Name the airline and the equipment.
A N S W E R E D

7. The trip from Gibraltar to Palma went without incident and, after a couple of relaxing days enjoying the warm Mallorcan sun, it’s time to return to cold and rainy Manchester. From Palma one airline offers a single weekly flight back up to Manchester. Name the airline and the aircraft type you’ll be flying upon.

9. In late 1986, only one airline operated a Boeing 707 into Manchester, England. Name the airline. No need to identify where it flies in from as the name will give it away.

10. The Edinburgh Hogmanay (New Year’s Eve) celebrations are among the largest in the world and so you’ve decided to join the party and fly over to Edinburgh from your home in Amsterdam. You call KLM who politely informs you that they don’t fly from Amsterdam to Edinburgh. Thankfully, the res agent is kind enough to give you the name of the only airline that does. Identify that airline and the type of equipment it operates on its two almost daily nonstops.

The following quiz items have a time line of the winter of 1994....

11. Although you arrived in Laughlin, Nevada via an airport shuttle from Las Vegas, you enjoyed such a nice run of luck on the craps tables that you can now afford to fly back home to Mountain View, California directly from the airport closest to Laughlin. Identify the closest airports to the aforementioned departure and arrival cities along with the airline and equipment serving this route with daily service.
It's not Reno Air

13. While not an uncommon sight at Newark International Airport, Boeing’s 737-500 is rarely seen at New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport – so rarely seen in fact that there is only one flight that operates just twice weekly. Identify the airline and the originating city of this flight.

15. Identify the six airlines that serve Las Vegas with all-economy configured jet flights

The following quiz items have a time line of the spring of 1987....

16. Business calls in Spokane, Washington. From your base in San Diego, that’s likely going to involve a connection somewhere. But no! Much to your surprise, there’s a daily 2-stop direct flight departing San Diego’s Lindbergh Field each morning. Identify the usual trio of indicators for this flight.

17. It’s been a fun weekend on Michigan’s Gull Lake outside of Kalamazoo, but now it’s time to return back to Washington DC and resume battle on the Senate Appropriations Committee which you chair. Although it wasn’t always so, there’s now a convenient 1 stop direct flight into Washington National that departs Kalamzoo each morning at 700a. Identify the airline, aircraft and intermediate stop.

18. Who’d have ever thought there one day be direct daily 1-stop service between St. Maarten and Detroit? Well there is now. Identify the airline, aircraft and intermediate stop.

19. Right on! The boss has finally given the green light for you to attend next week’s International Electronics Symposium being held this year in Minneapolis. A quick call to Northwest reveals that each of its three nonstops between Orange Country and MSP are completely sold out – even in First Class. Well dang! The prospect of driving the 405 up to LAX is never a pleasant one, so you’re thrilled to discover a single First Class seat available aboard a direct 2-stop flight out of SNA, arriving MSP the night before the show. Now if you can just find a hotel! In the meantime, identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops.

20. This U.S. airline operated affordable flights between New York, Miami and three central American cities. Because it is a U.S. airline however, you can take advantage of its affordable fare between Newark (EWR) and Miami. Identify the airline and the jet type you’ll be flying upon.
A N S W E R E D

The following quiz items have a time line of the spring of 1991....

21. The recent commencement of a new 2-stop direct flight between Missoula and Chicago is great news since you have to fly back to the home office at least five times a year. At last! No more long layovers enroute. And better yet, you’ll be served a snack and a lunch enroute. Identify the airline, the two enroute stops in order and the aircraft type.

22. Identify the three airlines operating MD80s between airports on the US mainland and Aruba

23. It’s spring break and this year you’ll be taking the family from your home in Denver to St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands. You couldn’t be more pleased to discover that you can now fly direct from Denver to St. Thomas with just two enroute stops. And, thanks to your recent promotion and raise, you can take the family in First Class. What airline will you be flying on, what will be the two enroute stops and what type of airplane will it be?

24. What a fun week it’s been in Cancun! Maybe you’ll retire here someday. But for now, you must return to the world of stocks and bonds as a trader on New York’s Wall Street. Lots of airlines offer direct flights between Cancun and New York but only one serves New York’s LaGuardia Airport, conveniently located just three miles from your home in Astoria, Queens. It’s a daily service with First Class seats available. Identify the air carrier, the enroute stop and the equipment.

25. From Los Angeles (LAX), you can fly nonstop on a jet to three different Colorado ski areas. Each ski area is served by a different airline operating a different type of aircraft. Identify the three ski areas along with the airline and equipment that serves each one.

26. It used to be that if you wanted to fly on a jet out of Sept-Iles, Quebec, you’d board a Quebecair BAC-111. These days it’s a different single airline operating a different type of jet. Identify the airline and the jet type operated.
A N S W E R E D

27. Years ago, if you wanted to fly from Las Vegas to Wichita, Kansas, there were a couple of well timed TWA flights serving the route. Alas, these days the only direct option is a one-stop redeye. Still, you don’t like making connections and so you book yourself a seat. Identify the airline, the enroute stop and the aircraft type.

A N S W E R E D

Miscellaneous Questions

29. What was the name of British Caledonian’s Gatwick Lounge for its Premium Class passengers?

30. What was the world's first inflight magazine to be published for a single airline? What airline was it?

31. What was the first European airline to be awarded a 5-Star rating for its overall service from the international air transport rating organization, Skytrax? (Only 9 airlines currently enjoy this distinction)

34. Why did Qantas refer to its early 707s as “V-jets”?

35. When this airline commenced service to the U.S., it named the three aircraft it had purchased to serve the route (as well as other long distance routes, I’m sure) the Nińa, the Pinta, and the Santa María after the boats used by Columbus on his famous voyage to the New World. Identify the airline and the aircraft type so named.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 9, 2019 at 2:53 pm
Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
Have sympathy all WHBM is broken down right next to Westminster Abbey at 11pm with a blown radiator hose .
Good Lord, Sir! And please know my Triple A Auto Club roadside assistance service is at your command!

I also truly hope the rescue effort all worked out without too much in the way of difficulty.....
Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The following have been correctly identified: Pierre, SD (WA) Cheyenne, WY (WA) Santa Fe, NM (TI) Salem (UA) Trenton, NJ (UA, W7) Topeka, KS (ML, FL)
Responding to your post in response to my guesses.....

* Augusta, Maine (AUG) - My guess of Northeast with a D9S was definitely a bit on the wild a$$ side. And it would not surprise me if NE never operated the D9S or any other of its jet aircraft types into AUG....

* Topeka, Kansas (TOP) - The original Frontier did indeed serve Topeka with 73S equipment.....but I think Midway flying the DC9 was the last air carrier to operate jet service into TOP.

* Trenton, New Jersey (TTN) - Yep, Eastwind certainly did operate B737-200 service into Trenton and may have also operated the B737-700 into TTN as well.....however, your timeline is 1991 and I believe Eastwind did not take to the skies until later on the 1990's.

And what the heck, I'll try one more but with a caveat....

* Jefferson City, Missouri - You'll note I have not included a three letter airport code. And that's because Ozark served Jefferson City via Columbia, Missouri (COU) specifically with regard to DC-9-10 and DC-9-30 flights. The Columbia Regional Airport (COU) is located about half way between Jefferson City and Columbia just off U.S. 63. It appears to be about a 30 minute drive from Jefferson City which in turn was also commercially served at one point via the Jefferson City Airport (JEF). Older OAGs list both airports, COU and JEF, under the listing for Jefferson City. I do not believe JEF was ever served with jet equipment....but COU certainly was.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL

Springfield, IL - Ozark
Salem, OR - United
Topeka, KS (Forbes Field) - Frontier
Santa Fe, NM - Texas International (previously answered)
Cheyenne, WY - Western
Pierre, SD - Western
that's only 6
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Toshbaf

Springfield, IL - Ozark
Salem, OR - United
Cheyenne, WY - Western
Pierre, SD - Western
that's only 6
Yep, I prefaced my response by stating I was going for six out of the eight. Did I cheat a bit? Well, maybe....

And, of course, I've since gone for number seven.....
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:40 pm
Suspended

Oops, I didn't see the earlier responses for the 8 airports in capital cities. If my answer of Springfield, IL is correct, then only one more needs to be found. Jefferson City, MO may be correct.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Per jlemon
: Responding to your post in response to my guesses.....

* Augusta, Maine (AUG) - My guess of Northeast with a D9S was definitely a bit on the wild a$$ side. And it would not surprise me if NE never operated the D9S or any other of its jet aircraft types into AUG....
* Topeka, Kansas (TOP) - The original Frontier did indeed serve Topeka with 73S equipment.....but I think Midway flying the DC9 was the last air carrier to operate jet service into TOP.
* Trenton, New Jersey (TTN) - Yep, Eastwind certainly did operate B737-200 service into Trenton and may have also operated the B737-700 into TTN as well.....however, your timeline is 1991 and I believe Eastwind did not take to the skies until later on the 1990's.

And what the heck, I'll try one more but with a caveat....

* Jefferson City, Missouri - You'll note I have not included a three letter airport code. And that's because Ozark served Jefferson City via Columbia, Missouri (COU) specifically with regard to DC-9-10 and DC-9-30 flights. The Columbia Regional Airport (COU) is located about half way between Jefferson City and Columbia just off U.S. 63. It appears to be about a 30 minute drive from Jefferson City which in turn was also commercially served at one point via the Jefferson City Airport (JEF). Older OAGs list both airports, COU and JEF, under the listing for Jefferson City. I do not believe JEF was ever served with jet equipment....but COU certainly was.

Per Toshbaf:
Springfield, IL - Ozark
Salem, OR - United
Cheyenne, WY - Western
Pierre, SD - Western
that's only 6

Alright then - let me address both of your responses in one fell swoop. First of all - I stand corrected with regard to Jefferson City, MO. I thought I'd flown through there on Ozark back in 1980 but Noooooooooooooo! It was Joplin, MO! Sorry about that, gang. These things happen when I drink bourbon and attempt to compile questions. Thanks to JL for a good explanation of the scene on Jefferson City air travel. As for the rest of the cities, you've hit them all thanks to toshbaf's inclusion of Springfield, IL Well done, both a youse! ^^ So then, here's the complete listing of seven capital cities that once received mainline jet service but in 1991 were served only by propeller driven aircraft.

Pierre, SD (WA)
Cheyenne, WY (WA)
Santa Fe, NM (TI)
Salem (UA)
Trenton, NJ (UA. W7)
Topeka, KS (ML, FL)
Springfield, IL (OZ, Air Illinois)

As has been noted, in at least one instance mainline jet service did return to one of these airports, as witnessed in Trenton with East Wind.
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:19 pm
Suspended

The following quiz items have a time line of the winter of 1986....

1. You’ve just pushed back from the gate in Mexico City and are on your way to the runway when you spot not one but two elderly 707s parked at an adjacent terminal. Identify the two airlines flying cheduled passenger flights with 707s into MEX

The following quiz items have a time line of the spring of 1991....
Miscellaneous Questions

I'll take a stab at two more questions, one of which I will likely get wrong.

1. Lan Chile. If you flew aboard a certain Lan Chile 707, you would have been on a plane that eventually was modified in Israel to become an airborne early warning plane, sort of like an AWACS. It now sports a huge roundish nose, like a fat lip.

The other airline is....Avianca. They crashed a 707 near JFK around 1989-1991.

Buzzz. Wrong!?

34. 'Cuz they wanted to! V-jet stood for the phrase Fan Jet in Latin, describing the engine.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'll take a stab at two more questions, one of which I will likely get wrong.

1. It's 1986 and you’ve just pushed back from the gate in Mexico City and are on your way to the runway when you spot not one but two elderly 707s parked at an adjacent terminal. Identify the two airlines flying cheduled passenger flights with 707s into MEX

LAN Chile. The other airline is....Avianca. They crashed a 707 near JFK around 1989-1991.

Alas, LAN had retired its 707s by 1986 but Avianca still flew a couple. Unfortunately, AV was not operating its 707s into MEX per the OAG I referenced. Please, guess again!

'Cuz they wanted to! V-jet stood for the phrase Fan Jet in Latin, describing the engine.

Proximo sed nolo fumigare. Well, you're on the right track, but I'm pretty sure the Romans didn't have a word for "jet". Care to provide a bit more detail as to what the "V" stood for?

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 9, 2019 at 4:07 am
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:51 am

6. You’re in Manchester, England and need to travel to Gibraltar to deliver a yacht to Palma on the island of Mallorca. A call to your travel agent reveals that only one airline serves GIB from MAN so you quickly book a flight. Name the airline and the equipment.
Monarch Airlines using a 737-200 or -300

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.