Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2016, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

86. Laredo, Texas enjoyed twice daily (except Saturday) jet service with nonstop flights from this single city. Identify the city, the airline and the aircraft operating these flights.
86. This may have been Royale Airlines flying DC-9-14 aircraft.

And this service may have been operated in conjunction with Continental for passenger feed into Houston Intercontinental.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
86. Laredo, Texas enjoyed twice daily (except Saturday) jet service with nonstop flights from this single city. Identify the city, the airline and the aircraft operating these flights.

This may have been Royale Airlines flying DC-9-14 aircraft. And this service may have been operated in conjunction with Continental for passenger feed into Houston Intercontinental.

An excellent guess but alas... Per the OAG I reference for this question, the airline was not Royale, the aircraft was not listed as a DC9 and there was no indication of a codeshare.

That said, the nonstop service to Laredo was from a Texas city (not Houston) and as such, that does limit the choice of airlines somewhat. The aircraft involved was not manufactured in the Pacific Northwest...

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 22, 2016 at 4:48 pm
Old Feb 22, 2016, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
86. This may have been Royale Airlines flying DC-9-14 aircraft. ...
An excellent guess but alas... Per the OAG I reference for this question, the airline was not Royale, the aircraft was not listed as a DC9 and there was no indication of a codeshare.

That said, the nonstop service to Laredo was from a Texas city (not Houston) and as such, that does limit the choice of airlines somewhat. The aircraft involved was not manufactured in the Pacific Northwest...
sounds to me like Braniff, running a BAC One-Eleven from San Antonio
Old Feb 23, 2016, 7:11 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Another guess to #86

Originally Posted by jrl767
sounds to me like Braniff, running a BAC One-Eleven from San Antonio
Braniff ceased operations in 1982.

How about Muse Airlines to Austin, Texas using an MD-80 or some form of it?
Old Feb 23, 2016, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
ah, right, and the One-Elevens were absent in their reincarnation(s)
Old Feb 23, 2016, 11:28 am

Programs: BA
79. You’ve got business in Birmingham (BHX). Resigned to making a connection in either Heathrow or Gatwick, you’re surprised to find that there’s a once weekly direct (one-stop) flight departing New York’s Newark Airport every Friday evening. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, the aircraft and the intermediate stop.
I think this is a bit of an obscure one, but if the answers are Highland Express, Boeing 747, Prestwick, I'll add a bit of detail - or if you whizz back to post #410 in this thread from FOUR years ago (!) there's some notes from me there about this ramshackle organisation. So Danno, Be Warned !
Old Feb 23, 2016, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
HINT: The nonstop service to Laredo was from a Texas city (not Houston) and as such, that does limit the choice of airlines somewhat. The aircraft involved was not manufactured in the Pacific Northwest...

Per jrl767: Sounds to me like Braniff, running a BAC One-Eleven from San Antonio

You're just a little bit early here, J...

Per teddybear99: Braniff ceased operations in 1982. How about Muse Airlines to Austin, Texas using an MD-80 or some form of it?

This is a great guess - Unfortunately, it's not Muse Air though.

Per jrl767: Ah, right, and the One-Elevens were absent in their reincarnation(s)

Braniff II actually did have a fleet of BAC-111s leased from a variety of sources. Some of these aircraft were even ex-Braniff aircraft purchased new during the airline's first go-round. They were operated during the latter half of the 80s (I believe 1984-89) and wore either hybrid liveries reflecting their previous owners or were painted in Braniff II's comparatively staid new dark blue, grey and white livery. It sure would've been nice to see one of these 111s painted in Braniff's "Ultra" livery but so far as I know that never happened.

HINT: The city served nonstop from Laredo was Corpus Christi. The airline involved was a legacy carrier and the aircraft was not foreign built.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM
79. You’ve got business in Birmingham (BHX). Resigned to making a connection in either Heathrow or Gatwick, you’re surprised to find that there’s a once weekly direct (one-stop) flight departing New York’s Newark Airport every Friday evening. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, the aircraft and the intermediate stop.

I think this is a bit of an obscure one, but if the answers are Highland Express, Boeing 747, Prestwick, I'll add a bit of detail - or if you whizz back to post #410 in this thread from FOUR years ago (!) there's some notes from me there about this ramshackle organisation. So Danno, Be Warned !

It was Highland Express, started by Richard Branson's Virgin Atlantic co-founder after they fell out. 747 should be singular rather than plural for them, for they only ever had one, sometimes none, and it was apparently the most unreliable 747 ever, a significant part in the carrier's quick downfall, and was passed from pillar to post after American had managed to get shot of it some years beforehand. Eventually ended up with Virgin Atlantic, where it was renowned for needing the highest number of engineering hours of the whole fleet for the rest of its life.
Danno did indeed book us on this attractive looking direct flight to Birmingham with Highland Express. Here's the schedule:

VY 202 New York (EWR) to Prestwick (PIK) Depart: 1845 Arrive: 0600 747-100
VY 202 Prestwick (PIK) to Birmingham (BHX) Depart: 0700 Arrive: 0815 747-100

Well let me tell you - this was one trip we'd rather forget! For starters, a problem with the number 2 engine delayed our departure out of Newark until 2310. Then - after a particularly hard landing at Prestwick - it was discovered that the landing gear had some sort of issue and the aircraft wouldn't be continuing on. Because of our Saturday arrival into PIK, the only service down to Birmingham all day was a BA HS748 departing at 1300. Unfortunately, by the time we reached the counter that aircraft had sold out and so we were re-accommodated on a connection via LHR - which is exactly what we'd been trying to avoid in the first place! It wasn't until 1920 that we finally arrived in Birmingham...

Danno has been informed in no uncertain terms that he'll be relocated to a position in the stockroom if he ever so much as breaths this carrier's name again!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 23, 2016 at 12:42 pm
Old Feb 23, 2016, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

86- when you limit the other end of the route to CRP you greatly limit the candidate airlines ... this makes me think it was probably a former Texas International route, now being operated by Continental with a DC-9-30
Old Feb 23, 2016, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767

When you limit the other end of the route to CRP you greatly limit the candidate airlines ... this makes me think it was probably a former Texas International route, now being operated by Continental with a DC-9-30

Way to go, jrl767! Continental operated a pair of DC-9-30s into LRD, one of them daily and the other X6.

CO 844 OMA-MCI-IAH-CRP-LRD Daily

CO 765 BWI-IAH-CRP-LRD X6
Old Feb 23, 2016, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by S2A and Danno
Well let me tell you - this was one trip we'd rather forget! For starters, a problem with the number 2 engine delayed our departure out of Newark until 2310. Then - after a particularly hard landing at Prestwick - it was discovered that the landing gear had some sort of issue and the aircraft wouldn't be continuing on. Because of our Saturday arrival into PIK, the only service down to Birmingham all day was a BA HS748 departing at 1300. Unfortunately, by the time we reached the counter that aircraft had sold out and so we were re-accommodated on a connection via LHR - which is exactly what we'd been trying to avoid in the first place! It wasn't until 1920 that we finally arrived in Birmingham...
Told you ! The 747 always had a nice landing, in part of course down to all those wheels, but by coincidence the one slammer I experienced was right there on that runway at Prestwick. It was a Wardair 747, September 1981, operating Manchester-Prestwick-Toronto, and the FO who went down to do an abnormal landing check while we waited for the boarding passengers told me that the autopilot just didn't flare it - they had been doing an autoland to maintain currency.

But I suspect that while you were on the ground at Prestwick at 1100, you would have found no onward plane flights at all, because that BA 748 operating to Birmingham would be departing from Glasgow airport, for although both GLA and PIK are called "Glasgow", that's 45 miles down the road, likewise the flights to Heathrow. Easiest thing to do, Danno, is get a cab to Glasgow station and get the train, they went every 2 hours in those days, direct to Birmingham. You would be there hours before 1920.

We have been mentioning the 748 recently, and I'll just add that my last flight in one was indeed a BA one on that same route, G-BCOE, must have been about 1989. Northwards from Birmingham we'd had a One-Eleven, but returning mid-afternoon it was a smaller, but packed, every seat taken, 748. So that was sold out as well ! Not only my last of that type, but also my last ever flight with Dart engines, which is how I'd started aviation.

Last edited by WHBM; Feb 23, 2016 at 3:20 pm
Old Feb 23, 2016, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

76. Identify the two U.S. airlines that flew between New York JFK and Oslo GEN (Gardermoen)
76. This one was a bit tricky as I believe there were two airports serving Oslo in 1987: Fornebu (FBU) and Gardermoen (GEN)

And I think that Pan Am was serving Fornebu in 1987.

So I'll guess one of the airlines here: Northwest serving Gardermoen (GEN), perhaps with the DC-10-40.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

But I suspect that while you were on the ground at Prestwick at 1100, you would have found no onward plane flights at all, because that BA 748 operating to Birmingham would be departing from Glasgow airport, for although both GLA and PIK are called "Glasgow", that's 45 miles down the road, likewise the flights to Heathrow.

How true! The Saturday only HS-748 flight stood alone as the only prop amidst four BAC-111 departures.

We have been mentioning the 748 recently, and I'll just add that my last flight in one was indeed a BA one on that same route, G-BCOE, must have been about 1989.

My last flight aboard a 748 was also in 1989, flying between Queenstown and Christchurch aboard an example from Mount Cook Air Line. My only other flight aboard a 748 was in 1985 with Cascade Airways between Seattle and Pasco. I remember being mildly disappointed as the flight was originally scheduled to be a BAC-111. The 748 was an acceptable consolation prize.

Hard to believe it's been 48 years since Jack Lord first uttered the catch phrase that would come to conclude many a successful murder investigation on the old television series "Hawaii 5-0" - that phrase being "Book 'im, Danno. Murder 1!
Old Feb 23, 2016, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

76. Identify the two U.S. airlines that flew between New York JFK and Oslo Gardermoen GEN

This one was a bit tricky as I believe there were two airports serving Oslo in 1987: Fornebu (FBU) and Gardermoen (GEN)

And I think that Pan Am was serving Fornebu in 1987.

So I'll guess one of the airlines here: Northwest serving Gardermoen (GEN), perhaps with the DC-10-40.

Excellent recall, JL. Pan Am was indeed serving Oslo Fornebu from London with a single daily 727-200. However, PA had no direct or nonstop service from any of the New York airports.

As to the two airlines providing competition to SAS with nonstop flights between New York and Oslo GEN, Northwest was indeed one of them:

NW 36 JFK-GEN 1930 0840 DC10 Freq. 57

The other airline however remains a mystery. Care to weigh in on solving it?
BTW, please do steer clear of any tornados in your area!
Old Feb 24, 2016, 1:10 am

{New York-Oslo second US airline} The other airline however remains a mystery. Care to weigh in on solving it?
Any chance this was a Tower Air 747, who had a shot at Oslo for a short while ?

{Glasgow-Birmingham}The Saturday only HS-748 flight stood alone as the only prop amidst four BAC-111 departures.
When we took it, it was an about 4pm weekday departure, also I think the only 748 of the day. Almost everyone on board had been into offices first and we were all sat in our business suits, almost vertical in non-recline seats, a rather surreal scene. It was the only time I went to the washroom in a 748, at the rear of the cabin, and was surprised to find that the rear right emergency exit was in there, along with an extendible ladder which took up much of the space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.