Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jlemon
Well, I think several Britannias were built for Northeast Airlines (NE).....but I also believe they were not actually delivered and thus not operated by NE.
JL gets the teaser !

Yes, Northeast Airlines ordered Britannias for their Florida routes, but couldn't raise the finance at the 11th hour, when they were all sat painted up at the factory in Belfast. And here's one sat there wondering what it's fate will be.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...tart=0&ndsp=15

Eventually El Al leased it for a while, so it did get to New York in the end, then it went to British United, and ended up like so many Britannias with grey market operators in Africa.

S2A, do you have a Northeast Britannia in your postcard collection ? Looks like things were so near they might have had postcards printed.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
Maybe jl can tell us whether the engineers at Swift Aire needed to get new toolboxes to work on them - or did the Nord 262 give them that background ?
Unfortunately, jl has no bloody idea....

Although I do know that following a disastrous merger attempt with Golden Gate Airlines which resulted in Golden Gate quickly going out of business, the Swift Aire F27s wound up with Air North in the northeast U.S. and I do not believe the basic WI livery was changed on the aircraft.

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 15, 2014 at 1:11 pm Reason: spelling
Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:11 pm

Technically speaking, I think the America West Express Fokker 70 twin jets were actually operated by Desert Sun Airlines which was a wholly-owned subsidiary of Mesa Airlines.
According to Fokker the F70s were sold to Mountain West Airlines, which was yet another subsidiary of Mesa. These aircraft are now operating for KLM, and can be seen at minor UK airports most days.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by WHBM
S2A, do you have a Northeast Britannia in your postcard collection ? Looks like things were so near they might have had postcards printed.
At present, my postcard collection (which is housed in binders which are themselves housed in fourteen bankers boxes) is in my storage locker about 5 miles from here. I'll be fetching them in the next week or and as such have appended a post-it notice on my fridge to check this out.

Any thoughts on the BWIA picture?
Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
A bit further west? Well there ain't much west of Charlo in New Brunswick, and I don't believe EPA ever flew to Maine (much less anywhere else outside of Canada), so that leaves... either Quebec City or Montreal. The wealth of connections available out of Montreal makes it the logical choice.
29. Montreal (YUL) is correct! The Eastern Provincial B737-200 service operated nonstop between Charlo and Montreal five days a week but not on Wednesdays and Saturdays.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
... early 1976:
33. You are in Toledo, Ohio (TOL) and wish to fly to San Antonio (SAT). One airline can get you there with direct service. This flight operates daily and makes four intermediate stops en route. Name the airline, the equipment and all four stops.
the only local service carrier operating into TOL was Allegheny, and I'm almost 100% certain that in 1976 they didn't go farther south or west than Memphis

now going by process of elimination among the trunk carriers:
  • American and Braniff were in SAT but not TOL, and I think that was the case for Eastern as well
  • the opposite was true for United
  • Continental, National, Northwest, Pan Am, TWA, and Western weren't at either city

so that leaves us with Delta ... I can certainly place them in TOL, and it would make sense that they were starting to make inroads into Texas beyond their Dallas and Houston service about this time

as far as the four-stop routing, let's try TOL-SAT via
  1. Dayton (DAY)
  2. Cincinnati (CVG)
  3. Atlanta (ATL)
  4. Houston (IAH)
I can imagine a DC9-30 on TOL-DAY-CVG, but I'm thinking their logic was that they could fill up a 72S with ATL traffic from those three points and keep it reasonably full on ATL-IAH-SAT
Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:58 pm

Any thoughts on the BWIA picture?
Ah yes; it's a busy evening over here and I'm trying to keep up. Have just secured Little Miss WHBM's High Chair, where a current nursery song of Row, Row, Row The Boat was being translated now home into violent rocking side-to-side which we could see ending in tears. Out with the toolbox (metric), and some tensioned string attached to the central heating pipework in two directions. A real engineering jury rig !

BOAC operated the flights for BWIA and the aircraft just operated through from London through New York as BOAC, and then down to the Caribbean as BWIA. In 1962 this was just once a week. I don't have it down as one of their many BOAC rentals of Britannias, which normally meant that it would be a different aircraft each time. Either someone at JFK was very quick up the ladder putting on the BWIA titles (in BOAC style, just 3 letters needed changing), or it was rigged for a publicity shot, which looking at the pose and the airline script in the lower left corner is what I'm guessing it is.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
this sure reminds me of Delta ... how about a DC8 (second choice a D8S) via Dallas (DFW) and New Orleans (MSY)
34. Delta Air Lines is correct! DL was operating Super DC8-61 aircraft on both of these flights. However, neither of these flights stopped at Dallas/Ft. Worth. Here are the eastbound scheds.....

DL 972: SFO 7:44am - 8:48am LAX 9:25am - 2:32p MSY 3:20pm - 8:33pm SJU
Op: Daily
Equip: D8S
Note: No local traffic SFO-LAX

DL 984: SFO 9:20pm - 10:24pm LAX 11:05pm - 4:12am MSY 5:00am - 10:13am SJU
Op: Friday & Saturday only (next day arrival)
Equip: D8S
Note: No local traffic SFO-LAX

BTW, there was competition westbound from San Juan to San Francisco: AA 47 operating SJU-EWR-ORD-SFO on a daily except Saturdays basis with a Boeing 707.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
I seem to recall DL operating that Stretch 8 nonstop LAX<-->SJU, but that was probably a couple years later ...
Old Sep 15, 2014, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

38. Only one air carrier was operating nonstop jet service between Miami (MIA) and Sarasota (SRQ) with one daily flight. Identify the airline and the equipment.

When I think Sarasota, I usually think National Airlines. By 1994 however, I think back to a trip I did down to Florida about that time that fetched me a couple of new airlines flown on inexpensive short intrastate Florida routes. Although MIA-SRQ wasn't one of those routes, the airline I'm thinking of flew a number of short "add-on" flights between Florida cities. That airline would be American Trans Air. As to the aircraft, my best guess would be a 727-200.
38. Absolutely correct! It was American Trans Air (ATA) operating a B727-200 in an all Y configuration on a daily round trip routing of MDW-SRQ-MIA.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the only local service carrier operating into TOL was Allegheny, and I'm almost 100% certain that in 1976 they didn't go farther south or west than Memphis

now going by process of elimination among the trunk carriers:
  • American and Braniff were in SAT but not TOL, and I think that was the case for Eastern as well
  • the opposite was true for United
  • Continental, National, Northwest, Pan Am, TWA, and Western weren't at either city

so that leaves us with Delta ... I can certainly place them in TOL, and it would make sense that they were starting to make inroads into Texas beyond their Dallas and Houston service about this time

as far as the four-stop routing, let's try TOL-SAT via
  1. Dayton (DAY)
  2. Cincinnati (CVG)
  3. Atlanta (ATL)
  4. Houston (IAH)
I can imagine a DC9-30 on TOL-DAY-CVG, but I'm thinking their logic was that they could fill up a 72S with ATL traffic from those three points and keep it reasonably full on ATL-IAH-SAT
33. Well, you did get two of the four intermediate stops right.....however, the airline was not Delta nor was the aircraft a D9S or 72S.

So please guess again!
Old Sep 15, 2014, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I seem to recall DL operating that Stretch 8 nonstop LAX<-->SJU, but that was probably a couple years later ...
Actually earlier during the early 1970's. Depending on the specific time frame, Delta was operating either DC8-51 (D8F) or Super DC8-61 (D8S) aircraft nonstop between LAX and SJU. Eastbound flights tended to be red eyes and were not operated on a daily basis (for example, three to five days a week depending on the time of year).
Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

33: given that I have two of the enroute stops, I will now speculate this was an Eastern operation

how about TOL - Nashville (BNA) - ATL - New Orleans (MSY) - IAH - SAT

as for equipment, let's go with the standard-size jet (727-25); if not that, a DC9-10
Old Sep 16, 2014, 5:26 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
16. In early 1969, Lufthansa was operating direct service from Frankfurt to Tokyo three days a week via the polar route with a Boeing 707. The last stop before Tokyo was Anchorage, of course, and there were also two stops made en route between FRA and ANC. On each of the three days, these two stops were made in a different order at different airports involving three different cities served. Name the other three destinations served by these flights.
I believe the intermediate cities were Dusseldorf, Hamburg and Copenhagen. So the three permutations that seem to make sense are FRA-DUS-CPH-ANC, FRA-HAM-CPH-ANC, and FRA-DUS-HAM-ANC.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

33: given that I have two of the enroute stops, I will now speculate this was an Eastern operation

how about TOL - Nashville (BNA) - ATL - New Orleans (MSY) - IAH - SAT

as for equipment, let's go with the standard-size jet (727-25); if not that, a DC9-10
33. Eastern operating a B727-100 is correct as are the intermediate stops in ATL and IAH. However, this flight did not stop in BNA or MSY. So we are still looking for two more stops here.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.