Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2013, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl22
not really a quiz item, since I don't know the answer ...

Sun 11 Aug approx 1300EDT I was on the new observation deck at the DL SkyClub at JFK T4; watched a bright red Turbo Beaver (or perhaps Turbo Otter) with floats land on 22L, cross 22R, and then taxi around the south side of the airport ... my flight left at 1500, and I didn't see it as we taxied out for departure on 13R; I haven't been able to find anything on FlightAware as to the operator or origin/destination
Interesting.....I'm not that familiar with JFK having flown in and out of this airport only a handful of times over the years (on AA, DL and SR) but I would have to think that operations by a general aviation amphibian aircraft would be something of a rarity.....

BTW, amphibian aircraft are quite common in my part of the world given the extensive network of coastal waterways, lakes and bayous of south Louisiana......in fact, there is a fine dining restaurant over in Lake Arthur, LA that welcomes customers arriving by seaplane.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 2:04 am

Programs: BA
When it comes to floatplanes and old airliners, we like to think the UK had the best ones.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?sa=X&...20&tx=92&ty=91

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttima...s/iaw39u-2.jpg

And here lies not so much a quiz question as a means of wasting a whole weekend. Looking at that timetable above, how would you do such a trip today, to the nearest sensible airline point/major city to the places that were visited on the way ? Which airlines would be used ? Maybe just a section of the trip.

Last edited by WHBM; Aug 21, 2013 at 2:39 am
Old Aug 21, 2013, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttima...s/iaw39u-2.jpg

And here lies not so much a quiz question as a means of wasting a whole weekend. Looking at that timetable above, how would you do such a trip today, to the nearest sensible airline point/major city to the places that were visited on the way ? Which airlines would be used ? Maybe just a section of the trip.
I'll kick this off but with a bit of an interesting twist: I'll take a look at how one might have accomplished the journey nearly 20 years ago in 1993.

You know, I can see Michael Palin of "Monty Python" fame trying something like this thus recalling the glory days of British air travel all those years ago (remember "Full Circle" and "Pole to Pole" with Mr. Palin?)......

The goal would be to fly nonstop between as many of the city pairs listed in the 1939 Imperial timetable as possible.

PART ONE: London to Karachi

First up: London to Southhampton.....

No nonstop service in 1993 so we shall have to improvise with the following connecting itinerary:

Air UK (UK) 449: London Stansted (STD) to Jersey, Channel Islands (JER)
Dep. STN 1435, Arr. JER 1535 - Nonstop service
Equip: Fokker F100

Connecting to.....

Air UK (UK) 348: Jersey, Channel Islands (JER) to Southhampton (SOU)
Dep. JER 1640, Arr. SOU 1725 - Nonstop service
Equip: Fokker F100

One would then spend the night in Southhampton (with several pints of excellent ale enjoyed with dinner) and depart the next morning for Marseille via a connection in Paris:

Air France (AF) 955: Southampton (SOU) to Paris (CDG)
Dep. SOU 0755, Arr. CDG 1005 - Nonstop service
Equip: ATR-42

Connecting to.....

Air Inter (IT) 5389: Paris (CDG) to Marseille (MRS)
Dep. CDG 1300, Arr. MRS 1415 - Nonstop service
Equip: A320

(One might try to connect to Air Afrique (RK) 007 from CDG to MRS which was flown with a DC-10 featuring three class F/J/Y service; however, it would not be a legal connection and I doubt it could actually be done in 30 minutes)

One would then overnight in Marseille (enjoying dinner with a fine Bordeaux, of course) and depart to Rome the next day.

Alitalia (AZ) 353: Marseille (MRS) to Rome (FCO)
Dep. MRS 1350, Arr. FCO 1505 - Nonstop service
Equip: DC9

Connecting to.....

Aero Trasporti Italiani (BM) 064: Rome (FCO) to Brindisi (BDS)
Dep. FCO 1705, Arr. BDS 1810 - Nonstop service
Equip: MD-80

And here we are in Brindisi for the evening and a nice dinner with wine with a departure the next morning right back on.....

Aero Trasporti Italiani (BM) 387: Brindisi (BDS) to Rome (FCO)
Dep. BDS 0700, Arr. FCO 0810 - Nonstop service

Connecting to......

Olympic (OA) 234: Rome (FCO) to Athens (ATH)
Dep. FCO 1010, Arr. ATH 1300 - Nonstop service
Equip: A300

One would then spend the night in Athens and depart the next morning to Alexandria.....

Olympic (OA) 327: Athens (ATH) to Alexandria (ALY)
Dep. ATH 0605, Arr. ALY 0745 - Nonstop service
Equip: B737-200

Now comes an interesting part: how would one get to Tiberias (which served Tel Aviv and Jerusalem according to the 1939 Imperial timetable) from Alexandria?? Well, here's how: after a day tour of Alexandria, one would then depart for Cairo.....

Egyptair (MS) 308: Alexandria (ALY) to Cairo (CAI)
Dep. ALY 1910, Arr. CAI 1945 - Nonstop service

Connecting to.....

El Al (LY) 444: Cairo (CAI) to Tel Aviv (TLV)
Dep. CAI 2235, Arr. TLV 2345 - Nonstop service
Equip: B737

An overnight stop would be made in Tel Aviv......and the next morning would pose a bit of a challenge: how to get from Israel to Habbaniyeh, Iraq? Well, according to the 1939 Imperial timetable, Habbaniyeh served Baghdad and where there's a will, there is a way, they say......

The only (and I mean only) air service listed in the October 1993 OAG into Baghdad was via Aeroflot (SU) from Moscow twice a week on a Tupolev Tu154. So one could conceivably fly from Tel Aviv on either an El Al B757-200 or on an Aeroflot Ilyushin IL86 nonstop to Moscow and then theoretically make the connection to Baghdad.....but it would probably be a whole lot easier to accomplish this on Aeroflot for obvious reasons!

As for getting from Baghdad to Basra back in 1993.....a bus, perhaps? According to the October 1993 OAG, there was no domestic air service being flown in Iraq.

And as for traveling from Basra to Bahrain (spelled "Bahrein" in the 1939 Imperial timetable) in October of 1993, maybe one could have done so by boat as it appears Basra had no scheduled air service at this time whatsoever.

Things improve, of course, once the journey to Bahrain is made.....although "Dabai, Oman" as listed in the 1939 Imperial timetable threw me off course a bit. Could this actually be modern day Dubai in the UAE? I'll assume it is......

Gulf Air (GF) 502: Bahrain (BAH) to Dubai (DXB)
Dep. BAH 0930, Arr. DXB 1130 - Nonstop service

Connecting to.... well, depending on the day of the week, there were some choices here including Emirates (EK), Ethiopian (ET), Lufthansa (LH), Singapore (SQ).....and even Jamahiriyah Libyan Arab Airlines (LN). However, the most logical choice based on the connecting interval was this daily flight....

Pakistan International (PK) 214: Dubai (DXB) to Karachi (KHI)
Dep. DXB 1315, Arr. KHI 1610 - Nonstop service

Part Two to follow tomorrow......

Last edited by jlemon; Aug 22, 2013 at 7:39 am
Old Aug 22, 2013, 12:45 am

Oh, very good JL. Alex will be impressed.

London to Southampton..... No nonstop service in 1993 ...... Air UK (UK) 449: London Stansted (STD) to Jersey..... Jersey, Channel Islands (JER) to Southampton (SOU)......... One would then spend the night in Southampton (with several pints of excellent ale .......
Now as the starting point in London is Waterloo station, I think even the most avid airline enthusiast (ie us lot) might hesitate at doing it this way. There are several express trains per hour from Waterloo to Southampton and they take around an hour. You would probably be there quicker than the time taken just getting to Stansted. Oh, and they all stop before getting into the city at Southampton Airport station, a real pioneer train station at an airport.

One would then overnight in Marseille (enjoying dinner with a fine Bordeaux, of course)
Oh JL, in Marseille of all places, a Bordeaux ???? . Let us have an elegant Chateauneuf-du-pape with our Mediterranean seafood, and support the local team. Me ? I'll have gone for a bottle of Provence rose, it also being one of the few areas in the world to make the stuff well.

"Dabai, Oman" as listed in the 1939 Imperial timetable threw me off course a bit. Could this actually be modern day Dubai in the UAE
Indeed it is. Imperial flying boats landed right in The Creek. In those days Sharjah (Dubai and Sharjah are about as far apart as JFK and LGA) was the landplane base - here's a film (about 15 minutes) of life there in Imperial's days. Anyone care to identify the various aircraft ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=253vJ6uYpq4

Last edited by WHBM; Aug 22, 2013 at 11:01 am Reason: Didnt put the link in :(
Old Aug 22, 2013, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Oh, very good JL. Alex will be impressed.

Now as the starting point in London is Waterloo station, I think even the most avid airline enthusiast (ie us lot) might hesitate at doing it this way. There are several express trains per hour from Waterloo to Southampton and they take around an hour. You would probably be there quicker than the time taken just getting to Stansted. Oh, and they all stop before getting into the city at Southampton Airport station, a real pioneer train station at an airport.

Oh JL, in Marseille of all places, a Bordeaux ???? . Let us have an elegant Chateauneuf-du-pape with our Mediterranean seafood, and support the local team. Me ? I'll have gone for a bottle of Provence rose, it also being one of the few areas in the world to make the stuff well.

Indeed it is. Imperial flying boats landed right in The Creek. In those days Sharjah (Dubai and Sharjah are about as far apart as JFK and LGA) was the landplane base - here's a film (about 15 minutes) of life there in Imperial's days. Anyone care to identify the various aircraft ?
Well, I thought I would structure the journey by air as much as possible.....after all, this is the Old Timer's Airline and Airliner Quiz! Thus the roundabout method of traveling from London to Southampton via Air UK.....although, of course, the express train would be more expedient, especially with the stop directly at Southhampton Airport.

And let it be said that we've been known to enjoy a fine Bordeaux or Cabernet Sauvignon with our seafood entrees at several superb restaurants in New Orleans! Thus the Bordeaux selection as they remain one of my favorite wines...."Perhaps a Margaux with your Oysters Rockefeller this evening, sir"?

Ah, I do not see the link to the film you reference....perhaps you can post it once again?

Meantime, Part Two to follow this evening......
Old Aug 22, 2013, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And we continue to follow the route, more or less, flown by Imperial Airways in 1939 with a flying boat.....

PART TWO: Karachi to Singapore in the Fall of 1993

We arrived in Karachi the evening before via a Pakistan International (PK) A300 after opting to catch this daily flight from Dubai. The other choices were Emirates (EK) flying an A310, Ethiopian (ET) operating a 767, Lufthansa (LH) with an A300, Singapore (SQ) flying a B747-300 or A310 (depending on the day of the week) or a bit of an exotic choice: Jamahiriyah Libyan Arab Airlines (LN) operating an A310 with an all Y config once a week (with a note in the OAG stating "CONFIRM OP WITH CARRIER").

There were other carriers operating nonstop DXB-KHI as well at this time including Kenya Airways (KQ) with an A310, Royal Jordanian (RJ) with A310 and L1011-500 equipment, Turk Hava Yolari (TK) with an A310 and Egyptair (MS) with A300 aircraft. However, all of these flights departed before our Gulf Air flight arrived from BAH thus rendering a same day connection in DXB to KHI impossible.

And, hmmm, sure looks like Airbus was enjoying success with regard to selling their big twins in this part of the world at this time......

So now we are off to India.....

However, there is some difficulty here: Raj Samand does not appear in the October 1993 OAG. But Gwalior does. And here's how we shall get there.....

Pakistan International (PK) 272: Karachi (KHI) to Delhi (DEL)
Dep. KHI 0700, Arr. DEL 0925 - Nonstop service

We then enjoy a day trip into Delhi followed by this flight later in the afternoon....

Indian Airlines (IC) 433: Delhi (DEL) to Gwalior (GWL)
Dep. DEL 1630, Arr. 1720 - Nonstop service

Not a big place, Gwalior. In fact, Indian Airlines was only flying into GWL four times a week back in October of 1993. So unless we want to get stuck here for several days, we simply stay on board IC 433......

Indian Airlines (IC) 433: Gwalior (GWL) to Bombay (BOM)
Dep. GWA 1750, Arr. BOM 2115 - Two (2) stop service (via BHO and IDR)

We then overnight in Bombay which apparently had yet to be renamed Mumbai in 1993....

Another challenge presents itself the next morning: Allahabad does not appear in the October 1993 OAG. So what to do? Well, when in doubt, press on! And there are three choices for nonstop flights first thing in the morning to Calcutta. Here they are.....

Indian Airlines (IC) 175: Bombay (BOM) to Calcutta (CCU)
Dep. BOM 0600, Arr. CCU 0815 - Nonstop service
Equip: Daily except Mondays & Thursdays - A300; Mondays & Thursdays only - A320

Damania Airways (D2) 101: Bombay (BOM) to Calcutta (CCU)
Dep. BOM 0600, Arr. CCU 0830 - Nonstop service

East West Airlines (4S) 803: Bombay (BOM) to Calcutta (CCU)
Dep. BOM 0600, Arr. CCU 0840 - Nonstop service

In addition, Air India was flying once a week from BOM to CCU with a three class B747.

So now we are in Calcutta in the morning. But according to our trusty OAG, there's no airline service whatsoever to Akyab, Burma (now Myanmar). Perhaps this destination has been renamed? Well, it's no big deal, really, as we are prepared to press on to the east......and thus we are off to a destination that was previously known as Rangoon.....or so we hope.

Except for one minor detail: back in October of 1993, there was no nonstop or direct service between India and Yangon, Myanmar. As in zero, zip, nada.

So what to do? Well, here's an idea: head into the city, check into the finest hotel you can find, see the local sights, don't drink the water, head back to the airport the next morning and then resume the journey.......

Indian Airways (IC) 731: Calcutta (CCU) to Bangkok (BKK)
Dep. CCU 0855, Arr. BKK 1300 - Nonstop service

Connecting to.....

Thai Airways (TG) 305: Bangkok (BKK) to Yangon (RGN)
Dep. BKK 1500, Arr. RGN 1540 - Nonstop service

We then decide to continue our journey as it appears that Bangkok just might be a nicer place to spend the night when compared with Yangon. So we do a relatively "quick turn" and get back on the Thai Airbus at RGN in business class.....

Thai Airways (TG) 306: Yangon (RGN) to Bangkok (BKK)
Dep. RGN 1640, Arr. BKK 1820 - Nonstop service

And we are in Thailand for the evening.......Thai food for dinner, anyone, with an ice cold Singha beer or two? or three?

We sleep in a bit and enjoy a leisurely late breakfast (with champagne, of course) in the morning and then head back to the airport in the afternoon for our journey to Penang, Malaysia (referred to as "Malaya" in the 1939 Imperial timetable) on board a joint operation flown daily by Malaysia Airlines (MH) and Thai Airways (TG)......

MH/TG 781: Bangkok (BKK) to Penang (PEN)
Dep. BKK 1500, Arr. PEN 1735 - Nonstop service
Equip: B737-400

And there's still time for a same day connection with a choice of two air carriers....

Malaysia Airlines (MH) 659: Penang (PEN) to Singapore (SIN)
Dep. PEN 1900, Arr. SIN 2010 - Nonstop service
Equip: B737-400

Singapore (SQ) 197: Penang (PEN) to Singapore (SIN)
Dep. PEN 2045, Arr. SIN 2155 - Nonstop service
Equip: A310 (featuring three class P/C/Y service)

We then head into Singapore to a certain famous hotel for the evening.....

Part Three to follow tomorrow.....

Last edited by jlemon; Aug 22, 2013 at 8:21 pm
Old Aug 24, 2013, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good Morning All!

Well, it was my intention yesterday evening to submit the third and final installment of a possible journey from London to Sydney back in 1993 following the route taken by flying boat in 1939.....but the lovely lady in my life informed me we had a dinner party to attend with friends so off we went for some truly great steaks barbecued on the grill accompanied by some excellent Cabernet Sauvignon from the Alexander Valley region of Sonoma County in northern California (and we will be in this wine producing area in just a few weeks from now ).

So Part Three will be delayed until later today following completion of the inevitable Saturday yard work!

BTW, it's a beautiful morning here in south Louisiana; however, this situation is changing as I write this as a formidable tropical wave weather system is now moving our way from the northern Gulf of Mexico - and it looks like we are in for a round of thunderstorms this afternoon and tomorrow.

So with that, I shall now deploy our little lawn mower tractor before the rain arrives. Stay tuned!
Old Aug 24, 2013, 6:40 pm

Do enjoy the steaks JL, and I'm wondering what your 1993 trip across Indonesia and Australia is going to bring - can we get a 4-engined prop flight in there ? Aircraft like the Electra and even the Vanguard lasted longer in Indonesia than just about anywhere else, because there was a government requirement that the private operators could not have jets to compete with state-owned Garuda. The last Merpati Vanguard went in 1987 (last Vanguard passenger flight anywhere), but the last Mandala Electras were still around, just, in 1993.

I followed this thread while on a business trip up in Sheffield for the last few days, but the hotel must have some 3G phone shielding because reception was awful (worked fine out in the car park) and a couple of attempted posts were lost.

Meanwhile over here in London it's a holiday weekend, last Monday in August, so of course it's been the worst rainstorm of the month, poured down all day. At London City, when it's a public holiday, as it will be on Monday, the airport is not allowed to open until 9 am, and all the early flights have to be rescheduled. Is there another airport in the world with such an oddball restriction ? It doesn't particularly minimise the early morning noise as the first inbounds tend to arrive early, at around 8.45 am, and end up doing holding patterns overhead at 3,000 feet.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PART THREE: Singapore to Sydney in the Fall of 1993

As we continue to follow the airline route back in 1939 from London to Sydney which appeared in an Imperial Airways timetable thoughtfully provided by WHBM above.......

What a wonderful hotel....of course, I am referring to Raffles in Singapore. It is also interesting to note that in the aforementioned 1939 Imperial timetable, Raffles is noted as the hotel of choice for its passengers that were traveling from London to Sydney on the flying boat service at this time. Also of note: until 2006, Singapore Airlines branded its business class service as Raffles Class.

And so, we check out of Raffles and head back to Changi Airport.....

Our destination this morning is listed in the Imperial timetable as Batavia, Netherlands Indies. This, of course, is modern day Jakarta, Indonesia.

And our goal for the remainder of our journey will be to travel in first class whenever possible....but as you shall see, this will not always be possible!

This portion of our journey was actually flown by Qantas Empire Airways back in 1939 in conjunction with Imperial Airways. For many years, Singapore was an important station on the QF route between Australia and Europe. However, in the present day, this situation has now changed due to the relatively new business relationship between Qantas and Emirates.

But let's get back to the resumption of our journey in the Fall of 1993.....

We are presented with a several choices for our morning flight from Singapore to Jakarta. And if we chose to do so, we could fly direct on an MD-11 operated by Garuda (GA) although one stop was made en route at Denpasar (DPS). Of course, we could also choose to fly on Garuda nonstop on either an A300 or B737 aircraft. There are also several other carriers offering nonstop service with morning departures on the route as well, including Sempati Air (SG) with Fokker 100 and Boeing 737-200 equipment, Silk Air (MI, a subsidiary of Singapore) with a B737-300 or KLM Royal Dutch (KL) with a B747-400 (this flight was also operated with a 74E Combi aircraft during certain days of the week). And if we wanted to wait a bit until just after the noon hour, we could fly on a Gulf Air (GF) B767 or even a Myanma Airways (UB) Fokker F.28......

However, we elect to travel on this flight......

Singapore (SQ) 152: Singapore (SIN) to Jakarta (CGK)
Dep. SIN 0800, Arr. CGK 0830 - Nonstop service
Equip: B747-300 (featuring three class P/J/Y service)

Of course, we've booked P class on SQ.......

I mean, really: was there any other choice?

Hello Jakarta! Once again, we have some interesting choices concerning our flight to Surabaya, Indonesia (which is listed in the 1939 Imperial timetable as Sourabaya, Netherland Indies).

And I do mean interesting! How about a Fokker F.27 turboprop operated by Sempati Air (SG)? Or a Hawker Siddeley HS 748 turboprop flown by Bouraq Airlines (BO)? Or a Vickers Viscount turboprop operated by Mandala Airlines (RI)? Wow!

There is also jet equipment operated on the route, of course, including A300, B737-300 and B737-200 airplanes flown by Garuda (GA), B737-200 and F100 aircraft operated by Sempati Air (SG) and a Fokker F.28 flown by Merpati Nusantara (MZ).

Given our timeline with an eye towards an acceptable connecting interval, we opt for the following flight.....

Garuda (GA) 338: Jakarta (CGK) to Surabaya (SUB)
Dep. CGK 1030, Arr. SUB 1150 - Nonstop service
Equip: B737-300 (featuring a first class cabin and that is what we have booked)

So where the heck is Koepang, Netherland Indies??! I'll assume this destination is actually in modern day Indonesia (somewhere); however, it is not listed in the October 1993 OAG.

So we shall press on.....and we are now off to Darwin on the northern coast of Australia.

Uh oh....no nonstop or direct service from Surabaya to Darwin is listed in our trusty OAG. What to do?

Well, it appears we shall have to back track to Singapore after spending the night is Surabaya....and that is precisely what we do....in Premium class (P), of course, on board one of the world's great airlines......and, yes, I'll have another glass of Dom, please.......

Singapore (SQ) 135: Surabaya (SUB) to Singapore (SIN)
Dep. SUB 1110, Arr. SIN 1415 - Nonstop service
Equip: A310

Time to visit the SQ first class lounge at Changi as we will be here for a quite awhile....followed by a connection to.....

Singapore (SQ) 235: Singapore (SIN) to Darwin (DRW)
Dep. SIN 2100, Arr. DRW 0240 - Nonstop service
Equip: B747-300 (featuring three class P/J/Y service and we are once again in P, of course)

We then head to a nice hotel in Darwin and get to bed before dawn.......

Hmmm.....looks like a bit of a challenge when we do arise in the morning after not much in the way of sleep: Karumba, Queensland is indeed listed in the October 1993 OAG; however, there's no nonstop or direct service from Darwin. So here's what we do.....

Ansett (AN) 499: Darwin (DRW) to Cairns (CNS)
Dep. DRW 0900, Arr. CNS 1200 - Nonstop service
Equip: Fokker F.28 (no first class on this flight but no problem as they do have cold beer for breakfast)

Connecting to......

Flight West Airlines (YC) 777: Cairns (CNS) to Karumba (KRB)
Dep. CNS 1300, Arr. KRB 1515 -One stop service (via NTN)
Equip: Embraer EMB-110 Bandeirante

BTW: Good Lord, it's been quite awhile since I've been a passenger on a Bandit (flown by Dash Air and United Express, the latter operated by West Air, both in California) and folks, I do not miss that little turboprop one bit.....

Now we need to get to Townsville and Gladstone, both in Queensland, as well as Brisbane in New South Wales......

Of course, there's no nonstop or direct service from Karumba to Townsville or Gladstone or Brisbane.....so after an overnight stop (we have no choice), we return to Cairns the next morning....

Flight West Airlines (YC) 776: Karumba (KRB) to Cairns (CNS)
Dep. KRB 1015, Arr. CNS 1230 - One stop service (via NTN)
Equip: the lovely little Bandit

Connecting to.......

Australian Airlines (operated by Sunstate Airlines) (TN*) 109: Cairns (CNS) to Brisbane (BNE) via Townsville (TSV) and Gladstone (GLT) and three other stops as well........
Dep. CNS 1400, Arr. BNE 1935 - Five (5) stop service (via TSV, MKY, GLT, ROK and BDB)
Equip: Dash 8

Yikes! I do not mind the Dash 8 twin turboprop, but after over five hours and five stops, I'm ready to get back on a jet, preferably in first class! And that's just what we do on our final leg.....

Australian Airlines (TN) 459: Brisbane (BNE) to Sydney (SYD)
Dep. BNE 2030, Arr. SYD 2150 - Nonstop service
Equip: B737-300 (and yep, this aircraft has a first class cabin)

We made it!!!!

Last edited by jlemon; Aug 25, 2013 at 12:40 pm
Old Aug 24, 2013, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Nice job, Mr. Lemon! That's an itinerary I would love to have flown!
Old Aug 24, 2013, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I don't think I could have passed up the opportunity to fly on a Viscount ...
Old Aug 25, 2013, 6:09 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
Part Three: Singapore to Sydney in the Fall of 1993

So where the heck is Koepang, Netherland Indies??! I'll assume this destination is actually in modern day Indonesia (somewhere); however, it is not listed in the October 1993 OAG.
Great series, JL!

Koepang (KOE) (look in your OAG for Kupang -- see this link) is on the southwest end of the island of Timor. The airport is called El Tari (formerly Penfui). My 1950 OAG says it was served (at that time) by KLM and Garuda. A 1950 Garuda timetable shows a once a week milk run to Djakarta. My 1991 OAG shows service within Indonesia to Kupang by two carriers, Merpati Nusantara (MZ), using F27s and F28s, and Bouraq Indonesia (BO) with Hawker Siddeley 748s.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miniliq
Great series, JL!

Koepang (KOE) (look in your OAG for Kupang -- see this link) is on the southwest end of the island of Timor. The airport is called El Tari (formerly Penfui). My 1950 OAG says it was served (at that time) by KLM and Garuda. A 1950 Garuda timetable shows a once a week milk run to Djakarta. My 1991 OAG shows service within Indonesia to Kupang by two carriers, Merpati Nusantara (MZ), using F27s and F28s, and Bouraq Indonesia (BO) with Hawker Siddeley 748s.
Thanks for the info! Now we can visit Kupang as part of our itinerary in the Fall of 1993.....and so, we deplane from Garuda 338 in Surabaya, spend the night and then depart the next morning.....

Merpati Nusantara (MZ) 612: Surayaba (SUB) to Kupang (KOE)
Dep. SUB 0700, Arr. KOE 1125 - One stop service (via DPS)
Equip: Fokker F.28

Connecting to.....

Sempati Air (SG) 831: Kupang (KOE) to Denpasar Bali (DPS)
Dep. KOE 1525, Arr. DPS 1705 - Nonstop service
Equip: Fokker F100 (featuring two class C/Y service)

Connecting to.....

Garuda (GA) 948: Denpasar Bali (DPS) to Darwin (DRW)
Dep. DPS 2320, Arr. DRW 0330 - Nonstop service
Equip: A300 (featuring two class C/Y service)
Old Aug 25, 2013, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl22
I don't think I could have passed up the opportunity to fly on a Viscount ...
Yep, it was a tough decision that was based on an inopportune connecting interval with regard to the Viscount service. Here's the flight.....

Mandala Airlines (RI) 660: Jakarta (CGK) to Surabaya (SUB)
Dep. CGK 0600, Arr. SUB 0750 - Nonstop service
Equip: Vickers Viscount (VCV) featuring an all Y class cabin

RI 660 also featured continuing service from SUB to Ujung Pandang (UPG) and Ambon (AMQ)......
Old Aug 25, 2013, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

P.S. --------

After several days of rest and relaxation with friends in the wonderful city of Sydney, it's time to fly back to the U.S.

Now we could travel home via the U.S. west coast; however, we instead choose to head west back to London for a reason that will become clear in a moment. And our trip will not be as complex and convoluted as our journey from London to Sydney but will still involve several connections!

In the Fall of 1993, there were basically two airline choices for direct, no change of plane air travel from Sydney to London and they are both excellent ones, especially if one is flying in the first class cabin:

British Airways (BA) 010: Sydney (SYD) to London (LHR)
Dep. SYD 1615, Arr. LHR 0540 - One stop service (via BKK)
Equip: B747-400

Qantas (QF) 1: Sydney (SYD) to London (LHR)
Dep. SYD 1815, Arr. LHR 0645 - One stop service (via BKK)
Equip: B747-400

Following a leisurely and refreshing stop at the first class arrivals lounge at Heathrow of the carrier we have chosen to fly on, we then make this connection....

British Airways (BA) 1: London (LHR) to New York City (JFK)
Dep. LHR 1030, Arr. JFK 0920 - Nonstop supersonic service
Equip: Concorde (SSC)

We now make an aerial transfer from JFK to Newark on board a Sikorsky S-58T rotorcraft operated by New York Helicopter and then head over to the CO Presidents Club to await our direct, first class flight to Louisiana.....

Continental (CO) 162: Newark (EWR) to Lafayette (LFT)
Dep. EWR 1530, Arr. LFT 2050 - Two (2) stop direct service (via BWI and IAH)

And we are back home once again......

Last edited by jlemon; Aug 30, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.