Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:11 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by WHBM
Canada was assigned CY and CZ by the ICAO as the first two characters of their 4-character airport codes (eg CYWG for Winnipeg), and in the initial allocation CY was used for hard runway airports and CZ for others. There were various changes over time, new airports, new runways, etc, and the CY series was pretty much exhausted anyway) so additional codes are now assigned in the CZ series. Canadian IATA codes being based on the ICAO code without the first character (just like the US, the only two countries to do this), there are a number of lesser Canadian airports that are coded with a Z.

When the new Toronto airport at Pearson was opened, replacing the old Toronto Downsview airport (logical at CYTO), there was only YZ left in the CY suffixes, so CYYZ for the ICAO code and thus YYZ for IATA.
Thanks WHBM -- your answer prompted me to look at all of the IATA airport codes for Canada starting with Z to see why I had not run across that before -- they are definitely minor airports, even a couple of harbors -- so even though I grew up in Western Canada, I've never flown into any of them.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Who hasn't wondered at one time or another why Canadian airport codes start with Y or what YYZ possibly has to do with Toronto? WHBM, I really appreciated your answer regarding the Canadian airport codes and suffixes. Thank you.

As to dinner in New Orleans, I'd love to have miniliq join us. As "often" as I get down to New Orleans, you all will likely meet up well before I finally find my way down there. Regardless, I'll look forward to that trip - I'll probably arrive via the City of New Orleans.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 2:17 pm

Programs: All of them!
13) 1985--FDF/MIA
Eastern Airlines, using 72S 4 times/wk
2013--FDF/MIA no non stop service

17) 1989--PHL/MIA air service
American with 72S
USAir with 73S/733/M80
Midway with D9S
Eastern with 72S/757
Pan American with 72S

2013--PHL/MIA
US using 734/320
AA using 738
total of 6 flights per day in the market
Old Mar 30, 2013, 2:00 am

Programs: BA
The best justification for Canadian airport "Y" codes I saw went : "The man who assigned all the IATA codes had his girlfriend at university stolen from him by a Canadian, so this was his revenge on the nation"
Old Mar 30, 2013, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by cs57
13) 1985--FDF/MIA
AA commences MIA-FDF-MIA 737 service on 6APR2013 with Saturday only service.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by cs57
13) 1985--FDF/MIA

17) 1989--PHL/MIA air service
American with 72S
USAir with 73S/733/M80
Midway with D9S
Eastern with 72S/757
Pan American with 72S

2013--PHL/MIA
US using 734/320
AA using 738
total of 6 flights per day in the market
13) Correct! I think AF was also flying between FDF and MIA at this time; however, their service was not nonstop.

17) Correct again! There was a total of fourteen (14) daily flights operated nonstop by AA, EA, ML, PA and ML from PHL to MIA at this time - plus one Sat. only flight operated by US with a B737-300. And between 8:10am and 8:55am every morning, all five carriers had a departure heading south.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Indelaware
AA commences MIA-FDF-MIA 737 service on 6APR2013 with Saturday only service.
Yep, and I think AA is doing this in order to maintain at least a minimal presence in the FDF market as American Eagle ATR-72 service is being discontinued between SJU and FDF effective this Monday, April 1.

In fact, it appears that all AA Eagle ATR-72 service from SJU will be discontinued effective this Monday as AA is apparently pulling the plug on these flights operated by Executive Airlines. Thus, it appears the days of San Juan being an American hub are numbered.

As a somewhat frequent visitor to the Caribbean beginning in the mid 1980s, I for one will miss these AA Eagle flights from SJU as I believe the carrier offered the most reliable service in the region in those markets where jet service was either not available or very limited - certainly more reliable than the Leave Island Any Time airline (LIAT, a.k.a. Luggage In Another Terminal)!

We flew on Eagle many times to Anguilla, Tortola, St. Maarten and Antigua after arriving in SJU the night before on the CO nonstop from IAH (usually in the front cabin of the CO B737-800, of course!). We would then have dinner with local friends in Old San Juan and spend the night at one of the big seaside hotels in town.....

Well, there's always Cape Air from SJU and their Cessna 402C aircraft for an exciting flight!

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 30, 2013 at 4:15 pm
Old Mar 30, 2013, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon

Good Afternoon All!

1) It is the spring of 1964. You are in Key West, FL and need to travel to New York City. You discover a daily direct, no change of plane flight that makes four (4) intermediate stops en route from EYW to JFK. Identify the airline, the equipment flown and the four intermediate stops. ANSWERED

2) It is now the summer of 1964. You are in Reno, NV and need to travel to San Diego. You discover a daily direct, no change of plane flight that makes eight (8) intermediate stops en route from RNO to SAN. Identify the air carrier, the aircraft flown and the eight intermediate stops served by this classic "milk run" flight. ANSWERED

3) Identify the number of destinations in the state of California that Air West served with scheduled flights in the summer of 1968. Also name the aircraft types Air West was operating in the state at this time. And if you can name every one of these California cities, I'll buy you a gourmet dinner with wine in the French Quarter of N.O. ANSWERED

4) In 1970, this airline operated daily round trip jet service between Miami (MIA) and San Juan (SJU). This flight made three (3) intermediate stops en route. Name the airline and the aircraft type operated on the route. ANSWERED

5) In 1971, what was the closest airport to Walt Disney World in Florida that received scheduled passenger service? Also identify the airline that served this airfield. ANSWERED

6) In the winter of 1976, only one airline was operating Fokker F28 jet equipment into Toronto (YYZ). At the same time, only one air carrier was operating BAC One-Eleven aircraft into the same airport. Name both airlines. ANSWERED

7) Also during the winter of 1976, two (2) airlines were operating jet service into Wabush, Newfoundland (YWK). One carrier operated two different jet aircraft types into YWK while the other airline operated only one type of jet. Identify both air carriers and the respective aircraft they operated to this destination in eastern Canada. And for extra special bonus points, name the destinations each airline served from Wabush on a direct, no change of plane basis. ANSWERED

8) Aloha, Continental, Hawaiian and United all operated Vickers Viscount turboprop aircraft in their respective fleets in the past. Identify a U.S. regional carrier that flew the Viscount during the 1980s. ANSWERED

9) Name three (3) turboprop aircraft types operated by Transair, an airline that was based in Winnipeg (YWG). ANSWERED

10) In the spring of 1981, only one airline flew nonstop between El Paso (ELP) and Houston Intercontinental (IAH). Identify the air carrier and aircraft it operated on the route. ANSWERED

11) Also during the spring of 1981, this airline operated the only nonstop service between El Paso (ELP) and Manzanillo (ZLO) with three (3) flights per week. Name the airline and the equipment it flew on this route. ANSWERED

12) In the summer of 1982, what U.S. airline flew nonstop from Guadalajara (GDL) to Chicago (ORD) four (4) days a week? ANSWERED

The next four (4) items all have a time line of early 1985:

13) Only one airline was flying nonstop between Fort-de-France, Martinique (FDF) and Miami (MIA) at this time. The service was operated four (4) days a week. Identify the air carrier and the aircraft flown on the route. ANSWERED

14) Three (3) different airlines were flying nonstop between Grand Cayman (GCM) and Miami (MIA) at this time. Name all three air carriers as well as the respective equipment types they operated on the route. ANSWERED

15) There were four (4) different airlines operating nonstop between Huntsville (HSV) and Atlanta (ATL) at this time. Three of the air carriers flew jet equipment while the fourth operated turboprop aircraft. Identify all four airlines and the respective aircraft types they flew on the route. ANSWERED

16) Only one airline was operating nonstop between Grand Turk (GDT) in the Turks & Caicos Islands and Miami (MIA) at this time. The service was flown three (3) days a week. Name the air carrier and the jet type it flew on the route. ANSWERED

The next five (5) questions all have a time line of late 1989:

17) No less than five (5) airlines were operating daily nonstop service between Miami (MIA) and Philadelphia (PHL) at this time. Name all five. Also identify the respective aircraft types each carrier flew on the route. ANSWERED

18) Only one airline was flying nonstop between Miami (MIA) and Pointe-a-Pitre, Guadeloupe (PTP) at this time. The service was operated three (3) days a week. Identify the air carrier and the equipment it operated on the route. ANSWERED

19) There was also only one air carrier operating nonstop between Miami (MIA) and Providenciales (PLS) in the Turks & Caicos Islands at this time. This service was also flown three (3) days a week. Name the airline and the aircraft it operated on the route. ANSWERED

20) Three (3) airlines were flying nonstop between Puerto Plata (POP) and Miami (MIA) at this time. One air carrier operated daily, the second operated three (3) days a week and the third only flew once a week. Identify all three air carriers and the respective equipment they operated on this route. ANSWERED

21) Three (3) air carriers were also flying nonstop between St. Croix (STX) in the U.S. Virgin Islands and Miami (MIA) at this time. All three operated daily flights. Name all three airlines and the respective aircraft they flew on the route. ANSWERED

22) During the 1990s, American Airlines operated a hub in Nashville (BNA). One of the aircraft types that AA used to provide service at this hub was the Fokker 100. During the summer of 1994, how many nonstop Fokker 100 flights did American operate from BNA every day on a weekday basis? And for extra special bonus points, name as many of the twelve (12) destinations served nonstop by AA with the F100 from Nashville at this time as you can.

23) The island of St. Lucia in the Caribbean is currently served by two (2) airports, one of which is Hewanorra (UVF) which receives jet service (including B747-400 and B777-200 flights). Hewanorra is actually a former U.S. Air Force base, Beane Field.

The other airport on St. Lucia is George F.L. Charles (SLU) which is primarily served by turboprops (no jet service at present), is the smaller of the two and was formerly known as Vigie Airport. SLU is much more convenient if one is traveling to the Castries, the island's capital as the 5,700 foot runway is shoehorned in between two hills and the ocean, and is also right next to the town and harbor. This is what's known in the Caribbean as a "challenging" airfield. At one point, SLU received jet service from at least one airline (which must have been interesting, to say the least). Identify an airline that operated jets into SLU and the type of aircraft that was flown. ANSWERED

24) Identify the smallest community, population-wise, in the U.S. ever served by United Airlines with scheduled daily jet service on a year-round basis. Also name the mainline jet aircraft type flown on this service. ANSWERED
Only one quiz item left, folks!

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 31, 2013 at 2:37 pm Reason: Update.....
Old Mar 30, 2013, 3:23 pm

Just four quiz items left, folks!

4) In 1970, this airline operated daily round trip jet service between Miami (MIA) and San Juan (SJU). This flight made three (3) intermediate stops en route. Name the airline and the aircraft type operated on the route.

14) Three (3) different airlines were flying nonstop between Grand Cayman (GCM) and Miami (MIA) at this time. Name all three air carriers as well as the respective equipment types they operated on the route.
4. Caribair, using a DC-9 with stops at Santo Domingo, Port-au-Prince, Kingston and Montego Bay.

14. RC (DC-9), KX (727-200), PA (727-200)?

Yep, and I think AA is doing this in order to maintain at least a minimal presence in the FDF market as American Eagle ATR-72 service is being discontinued between SJU and FDF effective this Monday, April 1.

In fact, it appears that all AA Eagle ATR-72 service from SJU will be discontinued effective this Monday as AA is apparently pulling the plug on these flights operated by Executive Airlines. Thus, it appears the days of San Juan being an American hub are numbered.
Indeed, AA no longer self-identifies SJU as a hub on their route map.

Last edited by Indelaware; Mar 30, 2013 at 3:54 pm
Old Mar 30, 2013, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

4. Caribair, using a DC-9 with stops at Santo Domingo, Port-au-Prince, Kingston and Montego Bay.

14. RC (DC-9), KX (727-200), PA (727-200)?
4) Correct! Aircraft was a DC-9-30.

14) Well, two out of three ain't bad! Cayman Airways (KX) was operating two round trips a day with the 72S while Republic (RC) was flying two daily round trip flights plus an extra flight on Sundays only all with DC-9-50 aircraft. RC inherited the MIA-GCM route from Southern when SO and NC merged.

However, the third airline was not Pan Am. In fact, I can find no evidence that PA ever served Grand Cayman with jet equipment.

So here's a hint: this third airline flew three flights a week MIA-GCM with a DC-8.

Plus, here's a bonus question:

25) In the summer of 1983, four (4) airlines were flying nonstop between San Juan (SJU) and New York (JFK). Identify all four air carriers and the respective aircraft types they were operating on the route.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 30, 2013 at 4:13 pm
Old Mar 30, 2013, 8:23 pm

4) Correct! Aircraft was a DC-9-30.

14) Well, two out of three ain't bad! Cayman Airways (KX) was operating two round trips a day with the 72S while Republic (RC) was flying two daily round trip flights plus an extra flight on Sundays only all with DC-9-50 aircraft. RC inherited the MIA-GCM route from Southern when SO and NC merged.

However, the third airline was not Pan Am. In fact, I can find no evidence that PA ever served Grand Cayman with jet equipment.

So here's a hint: this third airline flew three flights a week MIA-GCM with a DC-8.

15) There were four (4) different airlines operating nonstop between Huntsville (HSV) and Atlanta (ATL) at this time. Three of the air carriers flew jet equipment while the fourth operated turboprop aircraft. Identify all four airlines and the respective aircraft types they flew on the route.

Plus, here's a bonus question:

25) In the summer of 1983, four (4) airlines were flying nonstop between San Juan (SJU) and New York (JFK). Identify all four air carriers and the respective aircraft types they were operating on the route.
Ug... 1983, I graduated high school in Ohio. This really is pushing my trivia warehouse...

#14 - Compañía de Aviación Faucett (CF)

I know that PA had MIA-GCM route authority and that it transferred to AA. I don't know that they operated it.

#15 - Atlantic Southeast Airlines (EV) for Delta, DHC-7?; Eastern Airlines (EA), DC-9-30; Republic Airlines (RC), DC-9-(10?); United Airlines (UA), 727-(100?).

#25 - Here's three: American Airlines (AA), DC-10; Arrow Air (JW), DC-8-62; Eastern Airlines (EA), L-1011 unless they had already switched to 757. For number four, perhaps Capitol Airlines with DC-8-60/70 or Tower Air (FF), 747-200.

Last edited by Indelaware; Mar 31, 2013 at 2:37 am
Old Mar 31, 2013, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ug... 1983, I graduated high school in Ohio. This really is pushing my trivia warehouse...

#14 - Compañía de Aviación Faucett (CF)

I know that PA had MIA-GCM route authority and that it transferred to AA. I don't know that they operated it.

#15 - Atlantic Southeast Airlines (EV) for Delta, DHC-7?; Eastern Airlines (EA), DC-9-30; Republic Airlines (RC), DC-9-(10?); United Airlines (UA), 727-(100?).

#25 - Here's three: American Airlines (AA), DC-10; Arrow Air (JW), DC-8-62; Eastern Airlines (EA), L-1011 unless they had already switched to 757. For number four, perhaps Capitol Airlines with DC-8-60/70 or Tower Air (FF), 747-200.

Happy Easter Everyone!

We've had a lovely day here, although the weather is beginning to get interesting: we are currently under a severe thunderstorm watch with a squall line advancing upon us from the northwest.....

And on this stormy Sunday afternoon, I see the Old Timers quiz is alive & well with 2,500 replies and over 89,000 views since Seat 2A started this thread over a year ago.......

14) Correct! And perhaps this airline was better known as Faucett Peru. I believe the northbound routing flown by CF with a DC-8 was LIM-GCM-MIA (although there may have been an intermediate stop between LIM and GCM).

15) Correct again with regard to the airlines! Here's the equipment operated by the four respective air carriers that were flying nonstop between HSV and ATL at this time.....

Delta Connection operated by Atlantic Southeast Airlines (ASA) (DL): DHC-7, Short 360

Eastern (EA): B727-100, DC-9-50

Republic (RC): DC-9-10, DC-9-30, DC-9-50

United (UA): B727-100

25) An excellent guess! Here's the aircraft operated by the four respective carriers flying nonstop from New York (JFK) to San Juan at this time.....

American (AA): DC-10, B727-200 (Note: AA operated the 72S on Sundays only with two flights from JFK to SJU. The other four AA flights were all operated with the DC-10)

Capitol Air (CL): Super DC-8 series 60 (two daily flights)

Eastern (EA): L-1011, A300 - (one flight operated with the L10 and three flights operated with the AB3)

And the fourth airline?

Aeronaves de Puerto Rico (AD): B707 (three flights on Fridays & Sundays only and one flight on Thursdays only)

And our squall line has arrived here........

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 31, 2013 at 2:41 pm
Old Mar 31, 2013, 3:26 pm

25) An excellent guess! Here's the aircraft operated by the four respective carriers flying nonstop from New York (JFK) to San Juan at this time.....

American (AA): DC-10, B727-200 (Note: AA operated the 72S on Sundays only with two flights from JFK to SJU. The other four AA flights were all operated with the DC-10)

Capitol Air (CL): Super DC-8 series 60 (two daily flights)

Eastern (EA): L-1011, A300 - (one flight operated with the L10 and three flights operated with the AB3)

And the fourth airline?

Aeronaves de Puerto Rico (AD): B707 (three flights on Fridays & Sundays only and one flight on Thursdays only)

And our squall line has arrived here........
I believe that you said, "early 1985" rather than giving a particular month. I think, if you check the Feb 15 1985 OAG, you will find that Arrow also flew the route: JW411 D10 x234, JW411 727 34, JW419 D10 2, JW413 D10 567. AD did not operate the route this month.

Oh, to fly 707s, 72S, and D10s again. I never flew on a L-1011; you can keep the Airbus.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 4:13 pm

Programs: BA
There are certainly old airport schedules on the web which show Aeronaves de Puerto Rico 707 flights published in 1983, but from my own notes there was never a 707 in any such fleet, which makes me think it could be a proposal that never got started. It is an unlikely type anyway to begin a service as late as 1983, let alone one which required two aircraft but only operated on certain days of the week. TWA operated what is commonly thought to be the last US 707 passenger flight in October 1983.

As a schedules error it could also be a cargo flight that appears in the passenger schedule side. Caribbean cargo operations, using a range of 707s chartered from Miami freelance operators, were still around at this time. Print errors were not unknown in old OAGs, along with services appearing which never got started - the publishing lead times in the old days were measured in months.

you can keep the Airbus
Well, all part of history. The A300 has gone from passenger service in the US, but we still have Monarch operating a few on holiday schedules from London, the last operation here, which are getting a little following. And yes, I remember those when new, on a Palma, Majorca, to London Gatwick 2 am departure, as was the style in those days. "Night Palma's", along with those cheap holidays to the Mediterranean that your parents (hopefully) didn't find out about , have also gone the way of all flesh.

Meanwhile, a quick weather update from London for longstanding readers of this thread. No lawnmower report for holiday Easter Monday this year, team - unbelievably, it's snowing outside !!

Last edited by WHBM; Mar 31, 2013 at 4:19 pm
Old Mar 31, 2013, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe that you said, "early 1985" rather than giving a particular month. I think, if you check the Feb 15 1985 OAG, you will find that Arrow also flew the route: JW411 D10 x234, JW411 727 34, JW419 D10 2, JW413 D10 567. AD did not operate the route this month.

Oh, to fly 707s, 72S, and D10s again. I never flew on a L-1011; you can keep the Airbus.
Ah, but check the wording of my bonus question 25) again! I stated "summer of 1983" with flight information being taken from the July 1, 1983 OAG......

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 31, 2013 at 5:19 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.