Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2013, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by miniliq
I'll go with Syrianair (RB) with a departure from Schoenefeld (SXF). I've only flown into Berlin once, in 1969 on a BEA BAC-111 from Frankfurt for a one-day sightseeing side trip (complete with a taxi ride through Checkpoint Charlie to see the other side of the Wall) on my way to the Middle East, but it was to Templehof (THF).
RB flew SXF-ATH-DAM, although I'm not sure of the aircraft -- either a 727 or a Tu-154.
The carrier, Syrian Arab Airlines, the airport, SXF, and the intermediate stop, Athens (ATH), are all correct!

However, it was another aircraft type.......and I see that WHBM has responded......
Old Apr 16, 2013, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by tonywestsider
jlemon: Thanks for the schedule history and your experiences flying TPAC. Let me give question 4 another go again. My guess for the airline is NZ. Now, I am taking another wild guess that the routing did not go through HNL at all. The routing probably was AKL-PPT-LAX-SFO. S2A has a giveaway in his answer. NZ used a Boeing 747-200 for the route, although my other guess is, NZ might have used a Boeing 767-200ER as well.
Another excellent guess there, Tony!

However, it was not Air New Zealand (NZ).....it was another airline.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Tony, I can't say with 100% surety, but I don't recall Air New Zealand ever flying into SFO. I'm thinking it might have been Continental, routing SFO-HNL-NAN-AKL with a DC-10...
Our man Seat 2A (who I think was reporting to us while on board the northbound "Coast Starlight" train, most likely from the Pacific Parlour car) is correct! The airline was Continental and the aircraft was the DC-10-30.

However,the northbound routing was different and also a bit circuitous......

CO 16: AKL-SYD-HNL-SFO Op: Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays only

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 16, 2013 at 6:42 pm Reason: CO 16 info
Old Apr 16, 2013, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
9) This airline was operating direct, one stop, no change of plane service from Berlin to Damascus (DAM) once a week.
I'll just pop in here to offer that the aircraft was a Super Caravelle ..... because I saw this flight. However this sighting might have been one or two years earlier, 91 or 92. I was in Berlin, had been to Schoenefeld airport (as you do !) and had noticed from the timetable that this Caravelle was still running, operating once-weekly Copenhagen-Berlin SXF-Athens-Damascus. Back in GDR days, only a couple of years earlier at the time, Interflug had also run from Berlin to Damascus at low frequency, this had gone but the Syrianair remained. It would have been an interesting flight to have seen .... except there were no sightseeing facilities at Schoenefeld at all.

So a couple of days later (and I believe it was Saturday, late lunchtime), having forgotten this, I was in the local S-Bahn train some miles north of the airport, heading for Erkner, looking out of the window as we were going along - and there was the Caravelle, inbound from Copenhagen, on finals for SXF. It passed ahead of the train so I saw it from both sides as it descended to the runway. It was the last Caravelle I EVER saw airborne. More recent ones were all in museums.

Syrianair's last two Caravelles (YK-AFB and -AFD) lasted until December 1994, some of the last in use anywhere. They were the later, Pratt & Whitney-powered Super Caravelle. One was new to them in 1966, the other was ex-Sterling Airways. Long-time thread readers here will recall we did Sterling Caravelles way, way back last year, so we've gone right round in a circle !
Correct! And the thought occurred to me that this may well have been one of the last scheduled passenger operations utilizing a Caravelle.

So here's an additional question which is not a quiz item as I do not know the answer: What airline was the last to operate the Caravelle in scheduled passenger operations and in what year did this take place?
Old Apr 16, 2013, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And here's a visual treat consisting of historic airliner photos shot at JFK and LGA over the years.....

http://jonproctor.net/new-york-city-through-the-years

This is the companion piece to Mr. Proctor's superb airline photos that were taken at LAX over the years along with his excellent commentary which I posted awhile back.

No Caravelles here, unfortunately, but you can view a BAC One-Eleven as well as several Fokker F28 aircraft in addition to a whole bunch of classic propliners, turboprops and jetliners.....
Old Apr 16, 2013, 8:57 am

Programs: BA
Berlin ........

Another little supplementary, about the visit which I do appear to have made in 1993, described above.

I travelled from London to Berlin on a scheduled jet flight which involved challenging airports at both ends. The airline in question only had two scheduled routes.

Airline ? Aircraft type ? Their two routes ? The aircraft had a maroon and gold livery.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 9:11 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by jlemon
So here's an additional question which is not a quiz item as I do not know the answer: What airline was the last to operate the Caravelle in scheduled passenger operations and in what year did this take place?
Gabon Express (3D-SEP) 2004.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 9:24 am

Correct! And the thought occurred to me that this may well have been one of the last scheduled passenger operations utilizing a Caravelle.

Add another 12 years to what we were discussing above. The last passenger Caravelle appears to have been an obscure Congolese operator, Waltair, with aircraft #169, 9Q-CPI, which was a P&W-powered Super Caravelle 10B (new to Finnair) which they ran on routes around the country. Various reports about its last flight, but this appears to have been in early/mid 2005.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
3) This air carrier was operating weekly nonstop service between New Orleans (MSY) and Roatan, Honduras (RTB). Identify the airline and the aircraft type it operated on the route.
How about SAHSA (SH) with a 737.

May be my last answer for a few days -- I have a miniature liquor-bottle-collectors conference (the bottles are minis, not the collectors!) in St. Louis this weekend and had to jump on a $142 rt fare (2.8 cpm) STL-EWR-SJU for a side trip to enjoy a day on the beach (and perhaps a visit to the Bacardi distillery).
Old Apr 16, 2013, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Berlin ........

Another little supplementary, about the visit which I do appear to have made in 1993, described above.

I travelled from London to Berlin on a scheduled jet flight which involved challenging airports at both ends. The airline in question only had two scheduled routes.

Airline ? Aircraft type ? Their two routes ? The aircraft had a maroon and gold livery.
Well, I believe I actually know the answer to this so here we go:

Conti-Flug GmbH (DD) operating BAe 146 service from Berlin Tempelhof (THF) to London City (LCY) and Venice (VCE). I think the aircraft was in a two class config with a business class and coach section.

It also appears this air carrier flew a round trip routing of LCY-THF-VCE several days a week at one point as well thus providing direct service between London City and Venice.....

So....do I win a fine English ale on tap if I get this right?

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 16, 2013 at 5:45 pm Reason: Correction concerning the Berlin airfield
Old Apr 16, 2013, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Re. SFO-Khabarovsk flights...

5) Alaska Airlines (AS) is an excellent guess as they were indeed serving Khabarovsk (KHV) in the Russian Far East (as well as Magadan and Vladivostok) at this time on a weekly basis with MD-80 equipment. However, you'll note that SFOis conspicuously absent from these schedules.

Thus, it was another airline......so please guess again!
Well, this is indeed a guess but I know Aeroflot has served Anchorage, so ah mon' go with Aeroflot out of San Francisco, flying up to Anchorage and then continuing on to Khabarovsk and probably Magadan. In 1993 I should imagine the equipment would have been a TU-154.

BTW, S2A was indeed checking in while northbound aboard the "Coast Starlight" train, comfortably ensconced in the Pacific Parlour car with the aforementioned nicely chilled Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Tonight I relocate to Denver where tomorrow I'll board the California Zephyr for the beautiful ride through the Colorado Rockies. That train is not Wi-Fi equipped but I'll be back onboard the Coast Starlight the next evening.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Apr 16, 2013 at 6:04 pm
Old Apr 16, 2013, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miniliq
How about SAHSA (SH) with a 737.

May be my last answer for a few days -- I have a miniature liquor-bottle-collectors conference (the bottles are minis, not the collectors!) in St. Louis this weekend and had to jump on a $142 rt fare (2.8 cpm) STL-EWR-SJU for a side trip to enjoy a day on the beach (and perhaps a visit to the Bacardi distillery).
3) Servicio Aereo de Honduras, S.A. (SH) a.k.a. SAHSA with weekly nonstop service between New Orleans (MSY) and Roatan (RTB) is correct!

Here's the actual southbound routing.....

SH 419: MSY-RTB-LCE-TGU Op: Fridays only Equip: B737-200 (all Y config)

LCE - La Ceiba, Honduras
TGU - Tegucigalpa, Honduras

Alas, these days MSY no longer has international service heading south over the Gulf of Mexico.....although one can now fly nonstop to Key West (EYW) on Southwest from New Orleans!

Hope you have a safe trip, miniliq, and be sure to have a rum drink (or two) for me in Old San Juan!
Old Apr 16, 2013, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Indelaware
American Eagle, ERJ-140.
Correct! And please see comments above as cs57 answered correctly first.....
Old Apr 16, 2013, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Well, this is indeed a guess but I know Aeroflot has served Anchorage, so ah mon' go with Aeroflot out of San Francisco, flying up to Anchorage and then continuing on to Khabarovsk and probably Magadan. In 1993 I should imagine the equipment would have been a TU-154.

BTW, S2A was indeed checking in while northbound aboard the "Coast Starlight" train, comfortably ensconced in the Pacific Parlour car with the aforementioned nicely chilled Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Tonight I relocate to Denver where tomorrow I'll board the California Zephyr for the beautiful ride through the Colorado Rockies. That train is not Wi-Fi equipped but I'll be back onboard the Coast Starlight the next evening.
5) Aeroflot is correct! And so is Anchorage as the intermediate stop!

However, the aircraft type was different as it was actually the Ilyushin IL-62 (which I've always thought of as the poor man's VC-10). This IL-62 flight also featured an all coach configuration reflecting, perhaps, the "class-less" nature of Aeroflot's services back in those days......

Here's the schedule heading north by northwest from San Francisco.....

SU 810: SFO-ANC-KHV Op: Sundays only

And now it's time to refill the old wine glass and have some dinner.....

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 16, 2013 at 6:34 pm
Old Apr 17, 2013, 1:31 pm

Conti-Flug GmbH (DD) operating BAe 146 service from Berlin Tempelhof (THF) to London City (LCY) and Venice (VCE). I think the aircraft was in a two class config with a business class and coach section.

It also appears this air carrier flew a round trip routing of LCY-THF-VCE several days a week at one point as well thus providing direct service between London City and Venice.....

So....do I win a fine English ale on tap if I get this right?
Well, I left at 6am this morning and drove 3 hours up the M1 motorway to a customer near Burton-on-Trent, which is right in the middle of England. Now Burton is long-famous for beer (like Milwaukee in the US), and although the reason I've come here is nothing to do with this industry, I'm hotel-bound in the right place for providing such a prize.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brewers_of_Burton

and the prize is due. Yes it was a Conti-Flug BAe146 that took me to/from the inadvertent Caravelle sighting. Berlin Tempelhof airport would be worth a mention in its own right in this thread, alas closed a couple of years ago. Conti was a short-lived airline, probably close to broke even on LCY, lost much money on Venice. Morning and evening roundtrips to LCY, filled in mid-day on the Venice run.

http://www.planepictures.net/netshow.php?id=534680

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.