Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2013, 4:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Which US airport was originally named Idlewild Airport (IATA: IDL) and what were its subsequent names
Old May 15, 2013, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by BeatCal
Which US airport was originally named Idlewild Airport (IATA: IDL) and what were its subsequent names
"Idlewild Airport" was named after the Idlewild Gulf Course upon which it was built.

In 1943, renamed "Major General Alexander E. Anderson Airport"

In 1948, renamed "New York International Airport, Anderson Field"

In 1963, renamed "John F. Kennedy International Airport"

Despite the 1943 and 1948 name changes, the airport was commonly called "Idlewild" until the 1963 renaming.
Old May 16, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I've got a day off here in Alaska's Interior that would probably be better spent working. That's because while we're enjoying a nice sunny day up here in Fairbanks, down in Denali snow is on the way. According to the latest weather reports, the high country could see as much as 8-12 inches with snowfall starting tomorrow night. That will make driving the 92 mile rustic road into the park a bit more challenging - perhaps overly so. Hopefully the forecasts are wrong.

In the meantime, ah mo'n pop me a cold one and then let’s go back to March of 1996 and travel around North America with this collection of twenty new questions...

3. March can be a bit blustery in southern Michigan and this weekend is no different. Let’s head back to the warmth of the Sunshine State. It’s Saturday and two airlines operate nonstop DC-10 service down to Orlando. One of them is Northwest. What is the other airline?

4. For years you’ve always had to fly from Orlando to Omaha, Nebraska via a connection in Chicago. Who’d have thought that there’d ever be a nonstop flight someday? Well that day has arrived and you’ve booked a seat upon the single daily nonstop flight departing Orlando this evening at 6:45pm. What airline is this and what type of plane will you be flying upon?

9. Who’d want to spend three and a half hours flying between Mexico City and Los Angeles aboard a comparatively cramped narrow bodied jetliner from MX, AM, DL or UA when you could fly in international First Class comfort aboard this airline’s wide-bodied jet? Not you! After relaxing in the First Class lounge at Mexico City’s Benito Juárez International Airport, you stroll down the jetway and turn left into the spacious First Class cabin where your comfortable sleeper seat awaits. What airline and aircraft are you flying upon?

10. This airline is the only one offering nonstop service between Los Angeles and both Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. You are booked aboard its 1:30pm nonstop to Ft. Lauderdale. Name the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon.
Well, I was getting ready to submit a new batch of questions only to find that the intrepid Seat 2A has beat me to the punch! And many thanks for this excellent set of 20!

Let's get started here.....

3. Sun Country (SY) with a DC-10. I believe it was in an all-coach configuration.

4. Air Tran (FL) with a B737-200. And yes, that two letter code reminds me of another great little-big airline that had a hub in DEN.

9. Malaysia Airlines (MH) with a B747-400. This flight continued on from LAX on a TPAC routing, of course.....

10. Carnival Airlines (KW) with an A300. This carrier is long gone but the cruise ship company by the same name lives on.....
Old May 17, 2013, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
jlemon, You Da Man!! You're four for four and here I was thinking that question four would be a tough one for the collective cognoscenti.

BTW, I apologize for the timing on this set of questions. It had been quiet for awhile here and with my relocation to Denali, I figured I'd better get a few questions in before heading into the mountains. I know I speak for all when I say we look forward to your questions and since, for whatever reason, the internet has been down over the past couple of days (I had to drive 12 miles up the road to Healy for a good signal today) combined with up to a foot of snow forecast over today and tomorrow, I will likely have problems responding to answers to my set of questions in a timely manner. As such, I'm going to remove the sixteen unanswered questions from my most recent batch and will resubmit those at a later date. In the interim let's have a go at your questions as you're in a much better position to provide timely response than I am at present. In the meantime, hopefully both the weather and the internet access will quickly improve up here in the great white north.

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 17, 2013 at 2:00 pm
Old May 17, 2013, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Hey Seat 2A!

Sounds like the big spring thaw has yet to occur in the great state of Alaska!

Thus, I'll jump into breech here and post my latest selection of quiz items over the weekend....
Old May 18, 2013, 12:06 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jlemon
Sounds like the big spring thaw has yet to occur in the great state of Alaska!
Meanwhile we have just had snow in southern England !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-22537675
Old May 18, 2013, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Looks like winter is more than a bit persistent for some of us up here above the 50th parallel.

http://www.newsminer.com/news/local_...9bb30f31a.html
Old May 18, 2013, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While we await the return of Seat 2A (and hopefully better weather up in Alaska!) with the remainder of his always excellent questions, here's the latest batch from yours truly. And as a courtesy to all, please limit your answers to three or four quiz items at a time so everyone has a shot at them. Thanks!

1) Name the first international destination served by Western (WA). ANSWERED

2) During its existence, Air Florida operated international DC-10-30 service to several destinations in Europe. However, not all of the European destinations that appeared in its timetables were directly served by Air Florida. Instead, the airline had a feeder agreement in place with an European air carrier and Air Florida titles appeared on the aircraft used by this European airline along with its own name and livery. Identify this airline and the jet equipment it flew on the Air Florida feeder service in Europe. ANSWERED

3) It's the summer of 1963 and you are in Pueblo, CO (PUB). And yes, you are in a local pub as well! You need to travel to Dallas Love Field (DAL). You ascertain there is no nonstop flight but there is direct, no change of plane service. What airline will you be flying on? Also identify the aircraft type flown on route. ANSWERED

4) Trans-Texas Airways (TTa) introduced its first jet service in 1966 with the DC-9-10. The aircraft were initially configured with first class and coach sections. How many first class seats were there up front? ANSWERED

5) It's now the summer of 1967 and you are back in Pueblo (PUB). You need to travel to Kansas City (MKC). You are informed there is no nonstop service but there is a direct, no change of plane flight. What airline will you be flying on? Also identify the equipment flown on the route. ANSWERED

6) In 1968, this airline was operating nonstop Caravelle jet service between Miami (MIA) and Panama City, Panama (PTY) three days a week. Name the air carrier. ANSWERED

7) In the fall of 1979, this air carrier was operating nonstop Lockheed L-188 Electra service from Anchorage (ANC) to four different destinations in Alaska. Each destination was served once a week with the Electra. Identify the airline. And here's a hint: it was not Reeve Aleutian. ANSWERED

The next three quiz items have a time line of the spring of 1981:

8) At this time, this airline was flying nonstop Boeing 727-100 service from San Francisco (SFO) to Miami (MIA). Identify the air carrier. ANSWERED

9) Also at this time, two airlines were operating daily scheduled wide body jet service into Syracuse (SYR). Name both air carriers and the respective equipment they flew into SYR. And for bonus points, identify the routes these wide body aircraft were operated on into Syracuse. ANSWERED

10) There was only one airline flying nonstop at this time between Houston Hobby (HOU) and Miami (MIA). Two flights a day were operated. Identify the airline and the aircraft it flew on the route. ANSWERED

The next four quiz items all have a time line of late winter in early 1985:

11) Two airlines were competing at this time on the nonstop route between Los Angeles (LAX) and Houston Hobby (HOU). Name both airlines and respective aircraft types they were flying on the route. ANSWERED

12) Three airlines were competing at this time on the nonstop route between Houston Hobby (HOU) and Midland/Odessa (MAF). Each airline was operating one daily round trip flight in the market. Identify all three air carriers along with the equipment they were operating on the route.

13) This airline was operating nonstop flights on the weekends between Houston Hobby (HOU) and Durango, CO (DRO) during the ski season in the Rockies. Identify the air carrier and the equipment flown on the route. ANSWERED

14) Three airlines were competing at this time on the nonstop route between New Orleans (MSY) and Orlando (MCO). However, one airline only operated on Saturdays with two round trip flights. Name the air carrier and the aircraft type it operated on both of these Saturday only flights. The other two airlines both operated daily round trip service. One carrier flew twice a day and the other airline only flew once a day. Identify these air carriers as well along with the aircraft they were flying on the route.

15) In the spring of 1985, this airline was operating jet service into Brandon, Manitoba (YBR) six days a week (no service on Saturdays) with two flights a day. Name the airline and the equipment. And for bonus points, identify the five destinations served on a direct, no change of plane basis from Brandon. ANSWERED

16) It's Christmas time in 1989 and you are in Austin. It's been cold with freezing rain and even a bit of snow, which is unusual for central Texas. However, the air service has not been affected too much by the weather which is a good thing as you would like to travel over to New Orleans for some excellent hot gumbo and a cold beer or two with old friends in the French Quarter. Now, you could travel from AUS to MSY with the usual connection in DAL, DFW, HOU or IAH.....but then you discover that one airline is operating daily nonstop service between the two cities and better yet, the aircraft offers a first class section! Name the airline you'll being flying on in first class nonstop to the Crescent City and identify the aircraft. ANSWERED

The next three questions have a time line of the fall of 1993:

17) At this time, no less than seven airlines were operating flights from Miami (MIA) to San Jose, Costa Rica (SJO). Six of these air carriers flew nonstop while the seventh airline operated direct service with two intermediate stops en route. Most of the airlines flew daily although one carrier operated five days a week and another airline only flew once a week but with a wide body aircraft. Name all seven along with the equipment operated on the route.

18) There were two airlines operating flights between Kwajalein (KWA) in the Marshall Islands and Honolulu (HNL). From Honolulu, one airline operated three days a week to Kwajalein with two intermediate stops made en route. The other air carrier flew nonstop twice a week. Name both airlines and the respective aircraft they operated on the route. And for bonus points, identify the two intermediate stops. ANSWERED

19) Also at this time, this airline was operating direct, one stop service between London Gatwick (LGW) and Honolulu (HNL). The service was flown three days a week. Identify the air carrier and the aircraft operated on the route. And for bonus points, also identify the intermediate stop. ANSWERED

20) In the early spring of 1995, only one airline was flying between Aspen (ASE) and Denver (DEN) with a considerable number of daily flights being operated. Name the airline, the equipment operated on the route and also the number of daily round trip flights. ANSWERED - but still looking for the total number of daily round trip flights!

Hope everyone is having a fine Saturday! And now to the yard work!

Last edited by jlemon; May 24, 2013 at 3:05 pm Reason: Answer update
Old May 18, 2013, 1:28 pm

Programs: All of them!
19) HNL/LGW (1993) This would be Western Airlines, using a DC10-30 with a stop in ANC.
Old May 18, 2013, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cs57
19) HNL/LGW (1993) This would be Western Airlines, using a DC10-30 with a stop in ANC.
Well, according to the October 1993 worldwide edition of the OAG, it was not Western!

Please guess again!
Old May 18, 2013, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

What a great collection of questions, JL! And what fortuitous timing what with a snow day here in Denali and the internet up and working again (for now). I'll have a go at a couple here...

3) It's the summer of 1963 and you are in Pueblo, CO (PUB). And yes, you are in a local pub as well! You need to travel to Dallas Love Field (DAL). You ascertain there is no nonstop flight but there is direct, no change of plane service. What airline will you be flying on? Also identify the aircraft type flown on route.

I'm going to go with Central Airlines, operating a Convair 240. The route however will be a bit trickier. Here's a total shot in the dark: Pueblo-Guymon-Liberal-Enid-Oklahoma City-Lawton-Dallas.

4) Trans-Texas Airways (TTa) introduced its first jet service in 1966 with the DC-9-10. The aircraft were initially configured with first class and coach sections. How many first class seats were there up front?

Many airlines had surprisingly large First Class sections back then. I'm going to go with three rows of 2-2 making it 12 seats.

9) Also at this time, two airlines were operating daily scheduled wide body jet service into Syracuse (SYR). Name both air carriers and the respective equipment they flew into SYR. And for bonus points, identify the routes these wide body aircraft were operated on into Syracuse.

I'm pretty confident that the airlines were Eastern and American. I think I recall Eastern running an L-1011 up from Atlanta (And maybe continuing on to Toronto?!) and American operating a DC-10 from either New York or Cleveland. Or both.

18) There were two airlines operating flights between Kwajalein (KWA) in the Marshall Islands and Honolulu (HNL). From Honolulu, one airline operated three days a week to Kwajalein with two intermediate stops made en route. The other air carrier flew nonstop twice a week. Name both airlines and the respective aircraft they operated on the route. And for bonus points, identify the two intermediate stops.

This sounds like one for tonywestsider.
I have a great postcard of one of the airline's aircraft that served this route. Nice livery!

20) In the early spring of 1995, only one airline was flying between Aspen (ASE) and Denver (DEN) with a considerable number of daily flights being operated. Name the airline, the equipment operated on the route and also the number of daily round trip flights.

I'll go with Air Wisconsin, operating BAe-146s on behalf of United Express.
Old May 18, 2013, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
What a great collection of questions, JL! And what fortuitous timing what with a snow day here in Denali and the internet up and working again (for now). I'll have a go at a couple here...

3) It's the summer of 1963 and you are in Pueblo, CO (PUB). And yes, you are in a local pub as well! You need to travel to Dallas Love Field (DAL). You ascertain there is no nonstop flight but there is direct, no change of plane service. What airline will you be flying on? Also identify the aircraft type flown on route.

I'm going to go with Central Airlines, operating a Convair 240. The route however will be a bit trickier. Here's a total shot in the dark: Pueblo-Guymon-Liberal-Enid-Oklahoma City-Lawton-Dallas.

4) Trans-Texas Airways (TTa) introduced its first jet service in 1966 with the DC-9-10. The aircraft were initially configured with first class and coach sections. How many first class seats were there up front?

Many airlines had surprisingly large First Class sections back then. I'm going to go with three rows of 2-2 making it 12 seats.

9) Also at this time, two airlines were operating daily scheduled wide body jet service into Syracuse (SYR). Name both air carriers and the respective equipment they flew into SYR. And for bonus points, identify the routes these wide body aircraft were operated on into Syracuse.

I'm pretty confident that the airlines were Eastern and American. I think I recall Eastern running an L-1011 up from Atlanta (And maybe continuing on to Toronto?!) and American operating a DC-10 from either New York or Cleveland. Or both.

18) There were two airlines operating flights between Kwajalein (KWA) in the Marshall Islands and Honolulu (HNL). From Honolulu, one airline operated three days a week to Kwajalein with two intermediate stops made en route. The other air carrier flew nonstop twice a week. Name both airlines and the respective aircraft they operated on the route. And for bonus points, identify the two intermediate stops.

This sounds like one for tonywestsider.
I have a great postcard of one of the airline's aircraft that served this route. Nice livery!

20) In the early spring of 1995, only one airline was flying between Aspen (ASE) and Denver (DEN) with a considerable number of daily flights being operated. Name the airline, the equipment operated on the route and also the number of daily round trip flights.

I'll go with Air Wisconsin, operating BAe-146s on behalf of United Express.
5) Central Airlines is correct! However, the equipment and the routing are both a bit different. Aircraft was a Convair 600 which had been converted from a Convair 240 with the installation of the illustrious Rolls-Royce Dart turboprop engines. Routing was Denver (DEN) - Pueblo (PUB) - Garden City (GCK) - Great Bend (GBD) - Hutchinson (HUT) - Kansas City (MKC). And BTW, another operator of the Convair 600 at this time was TTa.....

4) There were more than 12 seats up front on board TTa's DC-9s at this time. Please guess again!

9) American with the DC-10 and Eastern with the L-1011 are both correct! However, the routings into Syracuse were a bit different. Here's the scheds.....

AA 192: LAX-ORD-SYR

EA 38: MIA-PHL-SYR

18) Paging tonywestsider!

20) Air Wisconsin operating as United Express with the BAe 146 is correct! But how many daily round trip flights were being operated with the British Aerospace jet at this time between Aspen and Denver?

Last edited by jlemon; May 18, 2013 at 7:06 pm
Old May 18, 2013, 3:53 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jlemon
2) During its existence, Air Florida operated international DC-10-30 service to several destinations in Europe. However, not all of the European destinations that appeared in its timetables were directly served by Air Florida. Instead, the airline had a feeder agreement in place with a European air carrier and the Air Florida titles appeared on the aircraft used by this European airline along with its own name and livery. Identify this airline and the jet equipment it flew on the Air Florida feeder service in Europe.
Bit ungallant to pick off the European question so quickly. But I would say that the Air Florida titles on the aircraft in question were quite small, and easily missed.

As well as a European contract operator, Air Florida also used one from the USA as well to operate transatlantic services, with aircraft of a different size than Air Florida possessed themselves.

And lastly, not all their European services appeared in their timetables. At the start of their operations, they ran a number of chartered holiday flights, especially to points not otherwise scheduled, and operating to Orlando rather than Miami. I recall their DC-10s making a weekly appearence at Manchester on such flights in early 1980.
Old May 18, 2013, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Bit ungallant to pick off the European question so quickly. But I would say that the Air Florida titles on the aircraft in question were quite small, and easily missed.

As well as a European contract operator, Air Florida also used one from the USA as well to operate transatlantic services, with aircraft of a different size than Air Florida possessed themselves.

And lastly, not all their European services appeared in their timetables. At the start of their operations, they ran a number of chartered holiday flights, especially to points not otherwise scheduled, and operating to Orlando rather than Miami. I recall their DC-10s making a weekly appearence at Manchester on such flights in early 1980.
Not a bit ungallant at all, sir!

The Air Florida titles on the European carrier's aircraft were rather small. I recall a photo of one at Zurich (ZRH), I believe......

And it sounds like another entity was actually operating the Air Florida DC-10-30 TATL service, which I was not aware of! Care to elucidate?

Meantime, we await the identity of the European airline and the twin jet aircraft they operated on behalf of Air Florida.....
Old May 18, 2013, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
2) During its existence, Air Florida operated international DC-10-30 service to several destinations in Europe. However, not all of the European destinations that appeared in its timetables were directly served by Air Florida. Instead, the airline had a feeder agreement in place with a European air carrier and the Air Florida titles appeared on the aircraft used by this European airline along with its own name and livery. Identify this airline and the jet equipment it flew on the Air Florida feeder service in Europe.

British Island BAC-111

7) In the fall of 1979, this air carrier was operating nonstop Lockheed L-188 Electra service from Anchorage (ANC) to four different destinations in Alaska. Each destination was served once a week with the Electra. Identify the airline. And here's a hint: it was not Reeve Aleutian.

Great Northern

15) In the spring of 1985, this airline was operating jet service into Brandon, Manitoba (YBR) six days a week (no service on o identify the intermediate stop.

Pacific Western 737. Thunder Bay, Toronto, Regina, Calgary and ummm...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.