FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old May 18, 2013, 2:09 pm
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
What a great collection of questions, JL! And what fortuitous timing what with a snow day here in Denali and the internet up and working again (for now). I'll have a go at a couple here...

3) It's the summer of 1963 and you are in Pueblo, CO (PUB). And yes, you are in a local pub as well! You need to travel to Dallas Love Field (DAL). You ascertain there is no nonstop flight but there is direct, no change of plane service. What airline will you be flying on? Also identify the aircraft type flown on route.

I'm going to go with Central Airlines, operating a Convair 240. The route however will be a bit trickier. Here's a total shot in the dark: Pueblo-Guymon-Liberal-Enid-Oklahoma City-Lawton-Dallas.

4) Trans-Texas Airways (TTa) introduced its first jet service in 1966 with the DC-9-10. The aircraft were initially configured with first class and coach sections. How many first class seats were there up front?

Many airlines had surprisingly large First Class sections back then. I'm going to go with three rows of 2-2 making it 12 seats.

9) Also at this time, two airlines were operating daily scheduled wide body jet service into Syracuse (SYR). Name both air carriers and the respective equipment they flew into SYR. And for bonus points, identify the routes these wide body aircraft were operated on into Syracuse.

I'm pretty confident that the airlines were Eastern and American. I think I recall Eastern running an L-1011 up from Atlanta (And maybe continuing on to Toronto?!) and American operating a DC-10 from either New York or Cleveland. Or both.

18) There were two airlines operating flights between Kwajalein (KWA) in the Marshall Islands and Honolulu (HNL). From Honolulu, one airline operated three days a week to Kwajalein with two intermediate stops made en route. The other air carrier flew nonstop twice a week. Name both airlines and the respective aircraft they operated on the route. And for bonus points, identify the two intermediate stops.

This sounds like one for tonywestsider.
I have a great postcard of one of the airline's aircraft that served this route. Nice livery!

20) In the early spring of 1995, only one airline was flying between Aspen (ASE) and Denver (DEN) with a considerable number of daily flights being operated. Name the airline, the equipment operated on the route and also the number of daily round trip flights.

I'll go with Air Wisconsin, operating BAe-146s on behalf of United Express.