Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2021, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
we saw this one parked outside the maintenance hangar

as well as this one on the ramp the next day as our DL 738 was taxiing out
Seat 2A, wrp96 and strickerj like this.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
If not a quiz, how about a summary of service from unusual places? For example, in 1972, what service was there from Meigs Field in Chicago? I had the opportunity to walk to Meigs Field before it was attacked and closed by Mayor Daley.

Other airports that I'd be interested are Hollywood Burbank, Long Island Republic, Greater Rockford, Hobby (Houston) in 1972 and Manhattan Regional (Kansas) in 1977. Given one choice, it would be MHK though that would not be really a good quiz due to limited service. I think in 1977, MHK had not quite reached the jet age though it did soon afterwards. For a quiz, Burbank is probably the best of those listed but a bigger airport is probably even better (like LGA, DCA, SFO).
This sounds like a good opportunity for you to become a quizmeister yourself, Toshbaf!
Old Aug 9, 2021, 5:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
This sounds like a good opportunity for you to become a quizmeister yourself, Toshbaf!
I did write one shortened round of quizzes once but used up all my knowledge. I have no OAG but at another location I do have a few timetables that I took while a passenger at airports in the late 1990's.

I will pass for now but will look for my small timetable supply at some future date.
Seat 2A likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
it’s really challenging to page thru all these on my phone, but sometimes they’re all I can use
Seat 2A likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 11:42 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
I’ll start this new one off…

5A. BDL-IAD on a US EM2 connecting to IAD-CMH on a UA J31.

5B. Seems that it’s CMH-XXX-YYY-ZZZ-MKE-ORD-AAA based on the description. Here’s what I’ve got to start.
CMH-CVG DL EM2
CVG-EVV DL EM2
EVV-IND US SF3
IND-MKE US SF3
MKE-ORD AA SF3
ORD-SPI UA EM2
Old Aug 10, 2021, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bluehen1
5A. BDL-IAD on a US EM2 connecting to IAD-CMH on a UA J31.
5A- a very good start here!
  • Leg 1
    • US is CORRECT
    • IAD is CORRECT
  • Leg 2
    • UA is CORRECT
    • CMH is incorrect
    • J31 is incorrect

5B. Seems that it’s CMH-XXX-YYY-ZZZ-MKE-ORD-AAA based on the description. Here’s what I’ve got to start.
CMH-CVG DL EM2
CVG-EVV DL EM2
EVV-IND US SF3
IND-MKE US SF3
MKE-ORD AA SF3
ORD-SPI UA EM2
5B- given that the second day's trek doesn't start at CMH, the entire routing is incorrect

on the plus side of the equation, you have correctly identified the SF340 as the other aircraft on three of the segments, and both DL and AA appear at some point during the day

as a further hint, you're on the right track with the sequence of online and interline connections
Old Aug 10, 2021, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
5A- a very good start here!
  • Leg 1
    • US is CORRECT
    • IAD is CORRECT
  • Leg 2
    • UA is CORRECT
    • CMH is incorrect
    • J31 is incorrect

5B- given that the second day's trek doesn't start at CMH, the entire routing is incorrect

on the plus side of the equation, you have correctly identified the SF340 as the other aircraft on three of the segments, and both DL and AA appear at some point during the day

as a further hint, you're on the right track with the sequence of online and interline connections
Let me finish out 5A first. Final stop on this leg is possibly RIC on a UA J41.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let me finish out 5A first. Final stop on this leg is possibly RIC on a UA J41.
5A- indeed, indeed
Old Aug 14, 2021, 10:28 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
After a couple of days of inaction on this thread I thought I'd post a couple of (very) old pictures taken back in the day. In my case "the day" is the early 1960s when I first got a decent camera (certainly not by today's standards) and a long lens.

Here are a couple of shots taken at LAX in 1963-1965. The photo quality isn't very good as you can see.

A TWA 707 heading east

And an American 990 on short final. This was taken during the Watts riots (1965) when ATC required the planes to stay at quite high altitude over Watts and Inglewood (due to reported gunfire from the ground) then descend very rapidly on final.

I took this long-exposure picture of landing lights at LAX in the summer of 1963. I believe the dashed lines are from the props intersecting fixed lights on the planes.

Seat 2A, jrl767 and jlemon like this.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

re TW 707-331 and AA 990 — the geek in me wonders if you can make out the registrations in the original photos … my phone doesn’t have enough resolution
Old Aug 15, 2021, 9:53 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP

re TW 707-331 and AA 990 — the geek in me wonders if you can make out the registrations in the original photos … my phone doesn’t have enough resolution
The 707 is much too fuzzy. As far as I can tell the 990 was N5610, which was delivered in 1962 and broken up in 1991.

Old Aug 15, 2021, 2:31 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
As far as I can tell the 990 was N5610, which was delivered in 1962 and broken up in 1991.
Thus I've got (somewhere in the attic) an even more fuzzy and distant picture of it, taken in 1984 at Palma, Spain. We were departing the west runway towards the sea there, and making an immediate left turn. The new, east side parallel runway was built but not in use, and Spantax were using it to store an echelon line of, I think, 6 of their withdrawn Convair 990s, which by this time included this one. Did a quick snap. It was EC-BJC by then. Spantax still had a couple in use then, the last commercial 990 flight was by them in 1987, with the aircraft (onetime American N5618) that is now half preserved, half derelict, at the far end of Palma airport. Here it is :

Palma de Mallorca Airport - Google Maps

Last edited by WHBM; Aug 15, 2021 at 4:22 pm
Old Aug 16, 2021, 7:09 am

5B. I’ve been a little stumped on proceeding with this one. Based on the plane being either an EM2 or a SF3, the options are limited. If I think about starting in RIC and the available flights, all I could come up with is that the first flight out would be on a CO EM2. At that time, I think the mini-hub in GSO was operational so I will guess the first leg of this is a CO EM2 running RIC-GSO.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

5B. I’ve been a little stumped on proceeding with this one. Based on the plane being either an EM2 or a SF3, the options are limited. If I think about starting in RIC and the available flights, all I could come up with is that the first flight out would be on a CO EM2. At that time, I think the mini-hub in GSO was operational so I will guess the first leg of this is a CO EM2 running RIC-GSO.
5B- and you would be CORRECT

hint: in this group of six flights, the two in each pair (segments 1 and 2, 3 and 4, 5 and 6) are approximately the same distance
Old Aug 17, 2021, 10:46 am

5B- and you would be CORRECT

hint: in this group of six flights, the two in each pair (segments 1 and 2, 3 and 4, 5 and 6) are approximately the same distance
Okay, this should get me started. My other option was CLE and that could have put me on my previous routing guess easily. Since that was wrong, I’ve got to figure out a new one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.