Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2021, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
B029. (1989) If it ain’t Boeing, you ain’t going. Well, you almost had to cancel your upcoming trip from Milwaukee to Denver because all of the usual suspects – at least the ones that offered nonstop service – only operated equipment from that other plane maker down in California. Heck, even most of the multi-stop flights were with aircraft other than Boeing. But wait! Yes! It turns out there’s one airline that operates a single daily one-stop direct flight each morning from Milwaukee to Denver utilizing Boeing equipment. Identify that airline, the enroute stop and of course the glorious Boeing jet type with which it is operated.

I have no explanation for mis-dating my last attempt, so given the correction I will offer Braniff II via their Kansas City (MCI) hub

No worries, J, because you've closed this one out with aplomb! Braniff II it is, flying a 737-200.

Braniff BN 239 Milwaukee (MKE) 720a-843a S Kansas City (MCI) 933a-1020a Denver (DEN) 737-200
Old Aug 28, 2021, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
And finally, we are down to just one...

In the meantime, please send all prayers, best wishes, good vibes et al down Louisiana way with the hope that JL and everyone else down in The Bayou safely rides out this coming storm with a minimum of damage.

B021. (1995) You’ve just picked up your tickets and itinerary for your upcoming trip from Culiacan, Mexico to Atlanta, Georgia to watch your brother and the Mexican National Soccer (Futbol) Team play an exhibition match against Team USA. Upon looking over the itinerary, you’ve discovered that you’ll be flying two flights on two airlines making a single connection. Additionally, you’ll be flying aboard two different aircraft, both manufactured by the same company. One of them is the smallest commercial jet manufactured by that company while the other is the largest. Identify the two airlines you’ll be flying, the connecting city and the two aircraft types.
A N S W E R E D

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 28, 2021 at 11:21 pm
Old Aug 28, 2021, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
B021. (1995) You’ve just picked up your tickets and itinerary for your upcoming trip from Culiacan, Mexico to Atlanta, Georgia to watch your brother and the Mexican National Soccer (Futbol) Team play an exhibition match against Team USA. Upon looking over the itinerary, you’ve discovered that you’ll be flying two flights on two airlines making a single connection. Additionally, you’ll be flying aboard two different aircraft, both manufactured by the same company. One of them is the smallest commercial jet manufactured by that company while the other is the largest. Identify the two airlines you’ll be flying, the connecting city and the two aircraft types.
B021- if smallest/largest combinations refers to types in production in 1995 we would have the following:
  • Boeing 737-500 and 747-400
  • McDonnell Douglas MD-87 and MD-11
  • Airbus A320 and A340
I could see a Mexicana A320 from CUL to Dallas/DFW, connecting to a fifth-freedom Lufthansa A340

if we look at historical production, it would be the 737-200 and the DC-9-10 … and this yields a much more plausible choice, namely Aero California with a DC9 to Los Angeles/LAX followed by a Delta M11
Old Aug 28, 2021, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

If we look at historical production, it would be the 737-200 and the DC-9-10 … and this yields a much more plausible choice, namely Aero California with a DC9 to Los Angeles/LAX followed by a Delta M11

Correct! Here's the itinerary -

Aero California JR 116 Culiacan (CUL) 535p-655p S Los Angeles (LAX) DC-9-10 Daily
Delta DL 1998 Los Angeles (LAX) 1030p-515a S Atlanta (ATL) MD-11 Sa only

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 28, 2021 at 11:20 pm
Old Sep 2, 2021, 10:30 am

In the early 1980s, The Kinks recorded a terrific album called "Give The People What They Want".

Last month, I offered to put together a quiz that would give the people (who visit this site) what they want: questions about airports of their choice. I received requests for questions about MDW and BUR in 1972. Later this month, I'll put together another quiz, and I can take two more airport requests.

The source would be my OAGs from Oct 1964, Sep 1972, or Jul 1977.

Please let me know what airport and OAG you'd like me to focus on. The first two requests will get the questions they want.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
We haven't heard from JLemon in the past few days. Here's hoping he and his family got through Ida with minimal damage and loss.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
Later this month, I'll put together another quiz, and I can take two more airport requests. The source would be my OAGs from Oct 1964, Sep 1972, or Jul 1977.

Please let me know what airport and OAG you'd like me to focus on. The first two requests will get the questions they want.
Hey Joe!

Sounds like fun! If I may, I'd like to submit Denver (DEN)
Old Sep 2, 2021, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
just for fun, please use 1964 for Seat 2A’s DEN request
Old Sep 2, 2021, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by teddybear99
We haven't heard from JLemon in the past few days. Here's hoping he and his family got through Ida with minimal damage and loss.
Good news! JL & Co. rode out the storm with minimal damage and should be posting a new batch of questions - as only he can - in the very near future. Permit me please to quote from Lewis Carroll:

"O frabjous day! Callooy, callay!"

As an added bonus, yours truly just received a 1973 International OAG from which I look forward to constructing a scintillating variety of flight related queries...
Old Sep 2, 2021, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

just for fun, please use 1964 for Seat 2A’s DEN request
Yes, Please! Lots of United DC-8s, TWA 880s, Braniff 727s, Western 720Bs, Continental DC-9s, Frontier 580s...

Then again, a bit later and TI, OZ, NC and FL jets can join the festivities...
Old Sep 3, 2021, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, Please! Lots of United DC-8s, TWA 880s, Braniff 727s, Western 720Bs, Continental DC-9s, Frontier 580s...
granted you mentioned FL CV5s, but who ever said we old-timers are just interested in quiz questions about jets? after all, this *IS* about old-time airliners too
Old Sep 3, 2021, 6:29 am

I'll be glad to do some Denver in 1964 questions.

In 1964, no airline was flying the DC-9 (it didn't enter service with DL until Dec 1965) or Convair 580 (it didn't enter service until 1966/67), and Braniff hadn't received their 727s yet. Hopefully, you'll enjoy questions about Continental Viscounts, Braniff Electras, and Frontier DC-3s instead!

As some of you know, now that I've been to all 50 states, I've set a new goal to visit all 63 national parks. Two weeks ago, I flew to Montrose to go hiking at Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park. In the last three years, I've also flown into Vernal (to visit Dinosaur National Monument), Grand Junction (to visit Colorado National Monument) and Alamosa (to hike to the top of the dunes at Great Sand Dunes National Park). When I put the quiz together, I may include questions about these airports, too.

In 1964, when Montrose was a remote ranching town, could anyone imagine that 55 years later, due to the growth in skiing and outdoor recreation, people in Montrose could fly on jets to cities as far away as New York City?
Old Sep 3, 2021, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
From JoeDTW....

As some of you know, now that I've been to all 50 states, I've set a new goal to visit all 63 national parks. Two weeks ago, I flew to Montrose to go hiking at Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park. In the last three years, I've also flown into Vernal (to visit Dinosaur National Monument), Grand Junction (to visit Colorado National Monument) and Alamosa (to hike to the top of the dunes at Great Sand Dunes National Park). When I put the quiz together, I may include questions about these airports, too....

Well, here's a two part bonus question....

It's 1991 and you are planning on visiting a national monument in New Mexico which features an extinct volcano. You will fly on board a mainline aircraft into the closest airport to this national monument which has jet service, rent a car and then drive the rest of the way.

1. What airport will you fly into? ANSWERED

2. What is the name of the national monument? ANSWERED

And as Seat 2A has mentioned, we survived Hurricane Ida with no major problems, thank goodness. Lafayette dodged a very large bullet and we were very lucky.

BTW, I plan on submitting a new batch of questions tomorrow so please stay tuned.

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 10, 2021 at 10:44 am Reason: answer updates
Old Sep 4, 2021, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
From JoeDTW....

As some of you know, now that I've been to all 50 states, I've set a new goal to visit all 63 national parks. Two weeks ago, I flew to Montrose to go hiking at Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park. In the last three years, I've also flown into Vernal (to visit Dinosaur National Monument), Grand Junction (to visit Colorado National Monument) and Alamosa (to hike to the top of the dunes at Great Sand Dunes National Park). When I put the quiz together, I may include questions about these airports, too....

Well, here's a two part bonus question....

It's 1991 and you are planning on visiting a national monument in New Mexico which features an extinct volcano. You will fly on board a mainline aircraft into the closest airport to this national monument which has jet service, rent a car and then drive the rest of the way.

1. What airport will you fly into?

2. What is the name of the national monument?

Seat 2A has visited this National Monument but he has not flown into the nearest airport which was served with twin-jet equipment ...
Old Sep 4, 2021, 1:37 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
As some of you know, now that I've been to all 50 states,
38 for me, which given my location is still quite unusual. But looks like nobody is visiting the US for another year. Even elsewhere in Europe is currently challenging; colleague has actually just gone to Italy, but had to spend the first five days in enforced isolation, would have been longer but the rules changed.

So we made do this last week with going down about 70 miles to Kent, right on the seafront, not far from Dover (it was Hythe, for the geographically knowledgeable). When momentarily clear you could just see France. Not a lot of aviation interest there, although just along to the right a couple of miles is Lydd airfield, onetime home in the 1950s to 1970s of the Silver City cross-channel car service to France, old Bristol Freighter 170 aircraft. Three cars, nose-loaded, their occupants in the back together with a few foot passengers, as they were termed. I believe they even got the odd bicycle from time to time. You can virtually see across to Le Touquet airport in France, they went VFR (although it was regularly foggy) in their own airspace corridor, 4,000 feet out, 2,000 feet back. But alas the old Bristols, with their thundering sleeve-valve Hercules radial engines, have long gone the way of all flesh.

This is of course right where the 1940 Battle of Britain was fought over, and there are still marks from that if you know where to look (even some shelling over the 20 miles across from France), and indeed defences from even earlier eras, against Napoleon and others. Between the towns of Folkestone (four miles away, we walked there one day) and Dover, up on top of the cliffs at Capel-le-Ferne, is the Battle of Britain Memorial; Spitfire and Hurricane on display, some display items, nice little cafe, notable view of all the shipping in The Channel - if you are ever going over to France by ship or the tunnel, and have a bit of time to spare, it's a nice place to wait. Didn't do so this trip, maybe next time.

As we walked from Hythe to Dover we passed author H G Wells' onetime home - writer of "War of the Worlds", and "The War in the Air". Written around 1900, prior to aviation, extraordinarily prophetic about what would happen right over his rooftop 40 years later.

Back in the hotel, Tuesday afternoon, sudden recognisable engine noise overhead, so Someone rushes to the window, a Spitfire no less, passes overhead and swings to run along the cliff line to pass the memorial, where it will doubtless dip wings in time-honoured manner. It got a wave from the window, because for those of a Certain Age you always, always, wave to a passing Spitfire. Or Hurricane (you also know how to tell, from the ground, the difference between them).

The Battle of Britain Memorial
Seat 2A and jlemon like this.

Last edited by WHBM; Sep 4, 2021 at 5:09 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.