Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2021, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
31. (1976) You need to fly from Guayaquil, Ecuador to Genoa, Italy. There, you’ll meet the marketing rep for Piaggio & Co. the outfit that manufactures Italy’s iconic Vespa motor scooter. Research has shown that Guayaquil might be an excellent market for the Vespa and you’re interested in importing as many as two hundred. It probably won’t be easy flying from Guayaquil to Genoa, so you’re surprised to learn that a one airline can get the job done all by itself via a single hour and a half connection. Two aircraft types will be involved. There will be three stops on the first leg, followed by a nonstop flight into Genoa. Identify the airline, all of the enroute stops and the aircraft types.
It's Lufthansa and the first stop is BOG. 707 and 727 are involved
TPJ - a most reasonable guess on SJU and MAD, but No! We're looking for a different Caribbean island and the next stop was not on the Iberian peninsula.
31- how about Kingston/KIN on the island of Jamaica, and JFK which is *definitely* not on the Iberian peninsula

59. ...Saudia is indeed the airline of record here, though the enroute stop was at te home base of another well known 720 operator. Tap-in time...
59- although the regional geopolitical situation would seem to make it unlikely (hence my original guess of MCT), geography certainly suggests Karachi/KHI as the intermediate stop between BOM and DXB

Last edited by jrl767; Apr 13, 2021 at 10:39 am
Old Apr 13, 2021, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Hey gang - another update: I'm now thirty-six thousand feet over northeastern New Mexico, speeding along at close to 500 mph aboard AS 717, aka 737-990ER N408AS for you flight tracker junkies. With flight time projected at about 3:50, I've got plenty of time to address your responses. Earlier today I did have one pleasant surprise worth mentioning - my American flight between FLL and DFW was originally scheduled to be operated with an aging ex-US Airways A321. These planes are real dogs compared to American's newer 321s - most of them still have the old US Airways interiors and it doesn't seem as if AA is in any particular hurry to upgrade the interiors with its new premium economy seating. As a newly minted OneWorld Emerald flyer, I was looking forward to taking my new bennies out for a spin but given the ex-US A321 assigned to my flight, the best I could do was seat 7D with standard 31-32" pitch seating. Well what a pleasant surprise upon checking in to find out that this afternoon's flight would now be operated by N419AN, a nine month old A321-253NX (Neo) powered by a pair of CFMI LEAP 1A33s AND outfitted with AA's new Premium Economy Seating, featuring slightly more spacious 35" pitch seating. I'm spoiled - Alaska's Premium Economy features 37-38" aboard its A321s - but hey, 35" beats 31", plus I get to add another carrier to my collection of flights aboard A320/321 NEOs (Alaska, American, Arkia and Frontier) so it's all good.

Here aboard Alaska's 737-990ER, I am pleased to report that today is the first day of the return of actual liquor or spirits to Alaska's inflight product. For me, comfortably ensconced in seat 1C here in the forward cabin, that means a double Woodford Reserve on the rocks. Cheers, everyone. I envy jrl767 and Herb687 their opportunity to possibly visit some of the fine distilleries along the Bourbon Trail. Here's wishing you both a good time in and around Lexington.

Right - on to the questions ~

51. (1976)The Vickers VC10 was designed to operate on long-distance routes. With its large wings and powerful turbofans, it was particularly well suited for the hot and high operations common to some African airports. Given the high price of fuel following the oil embargo of 1973/4, the VC10 became economically unviable and we began to see much less of it – particularly on routes to North America. By early 1976, there were only two nonstop trans-Atlantic flights between the UK and North America that were operated with the VC10. Each flight operated a unique route involving two different airports in the UK and two different airports in North America. Identify those two routes and if you’re feeling really giddy, the airline that operated them.

Joe - you're right about BA LHR-BOS-PHL with the VC10. That and the PIK-JFK flights were the only two trans-Atlantic VC10 flights per my schedule. I do know that the VC10 did make a return on the Fiesta Route for awhile, but I think by 1977 we'd seen the last of her in commercial passenger service on this side of the pond. Anyway, here are the schedules for the two trans-Atlantic sectors per my early 1976 OAG:

British Airways BA 561 London (LHR) 1200n-220p Boston (BOS) VC10 Daily ~ continues on to Philadelphia
British Airways BA 539 Glasgow (PIK) 1255p-310p New York (JFK) VC10 Daily

56. (2001) You’re in Freeport in the Bahamas and need to travel to Tulsa, Oklahoma. You’ve found a Bahamas based airline that can fly you nonstop to a U.S. airport where – following an hour and forty-five minute connection – you’ll fly another airline nonstop to Tulsa. Identify both airlines, the aircraft types each flies and the connection city.

Joe, the Laker point of entry was not Charlotte (Good guess though! You'll want to head a little further inland) and the connecting aircraft was not built by Fokker. So, it wasn't from Canada, Brazil or Holland. Hmm... Please, guess again!

31. (1976) You need to fly from Guayaquil, Ecuador to Genoa, Italy. There, you’ll meet the marketing rep for Piaggio & Co. the outfit that manufactures Italy’s iconic Vespa motor scooter. Research has shown that Guayaquil might be an excellent market for the Vespa and you’re interested in importing as many as two hundred. It probably won’t be easy flying from Guayaquil to Genoa, so you’re surprised to learn that a one airline can get the job done all by itself via a single hour and a half connection. Two aircraft types will be involved. There will be three stops on the first leg, followed by a nonstop flight into Genoa. Identify the airline, all of the enroute stops and the aircraft types.

TPJ - thanks for resurrecting this one. A most reasonable guess on SJU and MAD, but No! We're looking for a different Caribbean island and, following that, the next stop was not on the Iberian peninsula. Please, guess again!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Apr 14, 2021 at 10:38 am
Old Apr 13, 2021, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767

How about Kingston/KIN on the island of Jamaica, and JFK which is *definitely* not on the Iberian peninsula

Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner!! Yah mon, dot's de one we been looking fo! Good call. We hov a beeg spleef waiting fo you upon arrivahl in Kingston! Here's the schedule:

Lufthansa LH 497 Guayaquil (GYE) 1115a-100p Bogota 150p-410p (BOG) Kingston (KIN) 500p-845p New York (JFK) 950p-1125a Frankfurt (FRA) 707-320 We only
Lufthansa LH 306 Frankfurt (FRA) 1250p-215p Genoa (GOA) 727-100 Daily

59. (1976) You need to fly from Bombay to Dubai next Wednesday. Only two direct flights operate that day. One of them, with Air India, is not available. The other one is however – in First Class no less. It’s operated with a Boeing 720, quite possibly the only 720 serving Bombay at that time. The flight makes one enroute stop. Identify the airline and the enroute stop.

Although the regional geopolitical situation would seem to make it unlikely (hence my original guess of MCT), geography certainly suggests Karachi/KHI as the intermediate stop between BOM and DXB

Geography wins out in 1976. Here's the schedule:

Saudia SV 759 Bombay (BOM) 730p-840p Karachi (KHI) 945p-1030p Dubai (DXB) Boeing 720B We only

Last edited by Seat 2A; Apr 14, 2021 at 10:34 am
Old Apr 13, 2021, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Welcome to any first time participants. Please adhere to the 2 question per day maximum so that all might have a chance to participate.

A N S W E R E D

40. (1994) Dagnabbit! You've been seated in the gate lounge at Hartford's Bradley International awaiting the arrival of your now hour and a half late Delta MD80 to West Palm Beach. Now the gate agent has just announced over the PA that due to ongoing weather issues down in Atlanta, this afternoon’s flight to PBI has been cancelled. Please see the customer service agent for assistance in booking another flight. To heck with that! Your fare is refundable anyway, so consulting your trusty flight guide, you see that there’s one other airline operating a nonstop flight between Bradley and PBI. (There are only 2 nonstops per day, one by each airline) and its flight departs in about an hour. Which airline will you be flying and what aircraft type will you be flying upon?
A N S W E R E D

47. (1994) From its single hub, this airline provides jet service to only four cities – all of them in the same state. All told, its route map includes only two states. Identify the airline, the single jet type it operates and the four cities it flies to from its hub city – which of course you’ll also be expected to identify. G’wan now…

48. (1987) You’ve just spent the past week at the Freeport Invitational Wind Surfing Competition. Even though you didn’t win anything, you had a great time and sure enjoyed how warm the water was compared to back home on Nantucket Island. Not wanting to risk a connection for fear of your sail board getting lost or damaged, you’ve booked what turns out to be the only direct flight between Freeport and Boston. Unfortunately there are no nonstops. This flight makes two enroute stops, but dinner is served along the way. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the two enroute stops.
It's not an Eastern 727

51. (1976) The Vickers VC10 was designed to operate on long-distance routes. With its large wings and powerful turbofans, it was particularly well suited for the hot and high operations common to select African airports. Given the high price of fuel following the oil embargo of 1973/4, the VC10 became economically unviable and we began to see much less of it – particularly on routes to North America. By early 1976, there were only two nonstop trans-Atlantic flights between the UK and North America that were operated with the VC10. Each flight operated a unique route involving two different airports in the UK and two different airports in North America. Identify those two routes and if you’re feeling really giddy, the airline that operated them.
A N S W E R E D

55. (1987) Florida Express has got three nonstop flights between Orlando and Akron, Ohio but with the NFL Hall of Fame inducting three players with Florida connections next weekend, there are no seats to be had with ZO out of either Orlando or Tampa. Thankfully you’ve found a seat aboard a two stop direct flight to Akron out of Orlando, but even then you’ll have to fly First Class. Identify the usual threesome, including the two enroute stops.
It's not a Piedmont 737

56. (2001) You’re in Freeport in the Bahamas and need to travel to Tulsa, Oklahoma. You’ve found a Bahamas based airline that can fly you nonstop to a U.S. airport where – following an hour and forty-five minute connection – you’ll fly another airline nonstop to Tulsa. Identify both airlines, the aircraft types each flies and the connection city.
A N S W E R E D

59. (1976) You need to fly from Bombay to Dubai next Wednesday. Only two direct flights operate that day. One of them, with Air India, is not available. The other one is however – in First Class no less. It’s operated with a Boeing 720, quite possibly the only 720 serving Bombay at that time. The flight makes one enroute stop. Identify the airline and the enroute stop.
A N S W E R E D

Last edited by Seat 2A; Apr 14, 2021 at 3:32 pm
Old Apr 13, 2021, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
We're looking for a Laker 727-200 connecting to a regional jet not from Canada, Brazil or Holland
And, if memory serves, both AA and DL were completely eliminated after some previous guesses of mine. Though that's probably redundant anyway if it's 2001 and the RJs were not Canadian, Brazilian, or Dutch.
So, the regional jet had to have been an Avro RJ (formerly known as the Bring Another Engine 146). TUL just doesn't seem right for Air Whiskey's 146s operated for UA, so it must have been NW. I will guess MEM-TUL for the NW ARJ.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
56. Only western-made regional jet left that I can think of is German so I am guessing it's the Dornier 328 jet. Operator Great Plains, with the connecting point at IAD.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 2:18 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Lufthansa LH 497 Guayaquil (GYE) 1115a-100p Bogota 150p-410p (BOG) Kingston (KIN) 500p-845p New York (JFK) 950p-1125a Frankfurt (FRA) 707-320 We only
Lufthansa LH 306 Frankfurt (FRA) 1250p-215p Genoa (GOA) 727-100 Daily
Interesting... I ruled out because of US visa requirements. I wonder if LH has any TWOV arrangements at JFK (like transit passengers stay on board?) - otherwise I guess it was hard for Ecuadorians and Colombians to get the US visa.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by TPJ
Interesting... I ruled out because of US visa requirements. I wonder if LH has any TWOV arrangements at JFK (like transit passengers stay on board?) - otherwise I guess it was hard for Ecuadorians and Colombians to get the US visa.
Maybe back in the day (pre 2001), there was some arrangement for same airline (metal if not code-share too) TWOV or at least sterile transit of some sort. A couple of European airlines had that at a Florida airport even with a change of gauge (won't reveal just in case it becomes a quiz question). Similarly another airport in the west hosted a sterile transit for pax of 3 airlines from and flying from and back to their respective countries (the airlines had codeshare arrangements and exchanged pax at this airport). I seem to recall there was sterile transit at another airport in the west for through flights. Don't recall the particular visa requirements though.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

We're looking for a Laker 727-200 connecting to a regional jet not from Canada, Brazil or Holland

Per Herb687: And, if memory serves, both AA and DL were completely eliminated after some previous guesses of mine. Though that's probably redundant anyway if it's 2001 and the RJs were not Canadian, Brazilian, or Dutch. So, the regional jet had to have been an Avro RJ (formerly known as the Bring Another Engine 146). TUL just doesn't seem right for Air Whiskey's 146s operated for UA, so it must have been NW. I will guess MEM-TUL for the NW ARJ.

Per YVR Cockroach: Only western-made regional jet left that I can think of is German so I am guessing it's the Dornier 328 jet. Operator Great Plains, with the connecting point at IAD.

Between you both, we're whittling down the possibilities into something much closer to the truth.

MEM in particular connecting to a Mesaba 146 (AR85) is a very close guess. Neither the connecting point nor the aircraft are correct, but they are very close in both cases.

Great Plains Airlines and its Dornier 328JET are correct, but so far as I know Laker never flew into IAD. So we're looking for a connection airport that GPA did serve.

In any event, knowing what we now know to be true, it should be no problem for either of you (or anyone else who's johnny on the spot) to wade through the detritus of these myriad responses and piece together the correct answer to this question.

Go get 'em, Boys!
Old Apr 14, 2021, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TPJ
Interesting... I ruled out (routing via JFK) because of US visa requirements. I wonder if LH has any TWOV arrangements at JFK (like transit passengers stay on board?) - otherwise I guess it was hard for Ecuadorians and Colombians to get the US visa.
I can't imagine they'd require through passengers to get Visas. The flight was only on the ground for 1:05 so even if you wanted to employ your visa for your short visit, you'd be hard pressed to navigate customs and immigration and thence still get back through departure formalities in time to make your flight. I wouldn't be surprised if in 1976 through passengers were required to stay onboard.

The one that always annoyed me was flying LAN through Bogota where through passengers had to deplane, walk all the way down to the other end of the concourse to pass through security, then walk all the way back down to the gate and go through yet another gate-side security check before reboarding. Why not just leave us onboard?
Old Apr 14, 2021, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
48. (1987) You’ve just spent the past week at the Freeport Invitational Wind Surfing Competition. Even though you didn’t win anything, you had a great time and sure enjoyed how warm the water was compared to back home on Nantucket Island. Not wanting to risk a connection for fear of your sail board getting lost or damaged, you’ve booked what turns out to be the only direct flight between Freeport and Boston. Unfortunately there are no nonstops. This flight makes two enroute stops, but dinner is served along the way. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the two enroute stops.
48- let’s get the obvious choice off the board: Eastern, with a 727-200 via Miami/MIA and Philadelphia/PHL

55. (1987) Florida Express has got three nonstop flights between Orlando and Akron, Ohio but with the NFL Hall of Fame inducting three players with Florida connections next weekend, there are no seats to be had with ZO out of either Orlando or Tampa. Thankfully you’ve found a seat aboard a two stop direct flight to Akron out of Orlando, but even then you’ll have to fly First Class. Identify the usual threesome, including the two enroute stops.
55- how about Piedmont, operating a 737 via their two hubs in Charlotte/CLT and Dayton/DAY
Old Apr 14, 2021, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
We're looking for a Laker 727-200 connecting to a regional jet....

Great Plains Airlines and its Dornier 328JET are correct, but so far as I know Laker never flew into IAD. So we're looking for a connection airport that GPA did serve.
56. I'll guess the connection was made in Nashville.

And with that, I'm now making final preparations for a spring road trip in the M4 that will include most of the Natchez Trace Parkway and then across northern Alabama via Huntsville over to Great Smoky Mountains National Park to the Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina and a visit with good friends in the Asheville area.

"On the road again...."
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767

Let’s get the obvious choice off the board: Eastern, with a 727-200 via Miami/MIA and Philadelphia/PHL

Good on ya, J - You've done it! The obvious choice has now successfully been moved off the board. Moving right along, the aircraft was not a 727 and neither of the two stops were in MIA or PHL

Please, guess again!

How about Piedmont, operating a 737 via their two hubs in Charlotte/CLT and Dayton/DAY

Sounds eminently reasonable. It might have even been so once in another time's forgotten space. But not today. This time we're looking for a different airline that did not operate 737s.

Please, guess again!
Old Apr 14, 2021, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
56. (2001)You’re in Freeport in the Bahamas and need to travel to Tulsa, Oklahoma. You’ve found a Bahamas based airline that can fly you nonstop to a U.S. airport where – following an hour and forty-five minute connection – you’ll fly another airline nonstop to Tulsa. Identify both airlines, the aircraft types each flies and the connection city.
We're looking for a Laker 727-200 connecting to a regional jet..

I'll guess the connection was made in Nashville.

And jlemon scores on the rebound!!! Here's the schedule:

Laker Airways 7Z 668 Freeport (FPO) 1100a-1215p Nashville (BNA) 727-200 We Su
Great Plains Airlines ZO Nashville (BNA) 200p-345p Tulsa (TUL) Fairchild 328JET X6

And with that, I'm now making final preparations for a spring road trip in the M4 that will include most of the Natchez Trace Parkway and then across northern Alabama via Huntsville over to Great Smoky Mountains National Park to the Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina and a visit with good friends in the Asheville area.

That's cool. You don't see a lot of those M4s around much anymore - especially not on our nation's highways. If I remember correctly, wasn't the main 75 mm gun fit onto a fully traversing central turret? But wait! Maybe you're one of those lucky people who have the upgraded model that's been refitted with a 76.2mm Ordnance QF 17-pounder gun. I assume you're going up to one of those mock Civil War skirmishes and wanted a little bit of an edge. This would be right up the alley for members of the Society for Creative Anachronists, albeit a bit later than their preferred era. Have fun!
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Apr 14, 2021 at 5:27 pm
Old Apr 14, 2021, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Well, my M4 is actually the reconnaissance version....which means it's completely unarmed but still quite fast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.