Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2019, 5:52 am

Programs: BA
And here it is. A very pleasant, effortless flight that would have been on time if only we were not number 10 for departure from Dublin - the new second runway cannot come soon enough.

Crew were just a bit different to what you get on BA. Cabin crew uniforms were like something from the smart end of a department store rather than a typical airline supply store. And the lead flight attendant was an old school Thoroughly Decent-spoken English lady of a Certain Age (I was going to ask her if she started her flying career on Tridents) who did immaculate perfectly-spoken announcements and served everything with a smile. Catering was provided by BA. Jota only have a few aircraft, but do quite a bit of high end executive charters, and the crews don't typically have fixed rosters but are just called in as and when, and likely get to all know each other well. When not in use the aircraft spend their time parked up at their Southend base - ah, a UK independent airline centre of many years standing. I believe the current arrangement is as much due to BA crew shortage as to aircraft unavailability. There's certainly a lot of BA London City training going on at the moment, and they are doing circuits at Southend as well.

It's a 1996 aircraft, ran with Sabena/Brussels Airlines until 2012, then got stored at Kemble in Britain. Alas this is principally a scrapyard, but after 4 years there it did a Houdini, got bought in 2016, had a big check, a new livery, and has been running various charters since. Titan used to supply the replacement BA London City aircraft, for which you need both certain aircraft only, and specifically-certified crews for the steep approach, but the baton is currently held by Jota. Condition inside and out was, I have to say, immaculate. And there was that classic 146/RJ aerodynamic howl as the flaps are moved, rising in crescendo and pitch after departure, and descending to a bass pitch as you turn onto final approach.

Best angle view I could get at Dublin

Safety card

That classic old view of a 146/RJ engines
Seat 2A and strickerj like this.

Last edited by WHBM; May 2, 2019 at 6:26 am
Old May 2, 2019, 6:21 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
We have more travel coming up in the near term.....but the big reason is that in about a week and a half, Lady K and yours truly shall finally tie the knot and get married.
Congratulations! Hope you two have many more enjoyable journeys. Our travels have slowed to a crawl but Mrs. M and I just returned from a nostalgia trip to Rio de Janeiro where we lived for a couple of years 21 years ago. The 2-3-2 economy seating in UA's 767-300 at least made it possible to have a pair of seats to ourselves, without totally burning all of our remaining miles.

Next to actual traveling, It's very enjoyable to refresh flight memories through all of the contributions from the forum members. Thank you all!
Seat 2A and strickerj like this.
Old May 2, 2019, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
HOORAY !!!!!!!!!!
Hooray indeed, sir! It will be the first marriage for both of us.

And I have waited until the ripe old age of 66 to do this!
wrp96 and strickerj like this.

Last edited by jlemon; May 2, 2019 at 8:12 am
Old May 2, 2019, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by miniliq
Congratulations! Hope you two have many more enjoyable journeys. Our travels have slowed to a crawl but Mrs. M and I just returned from a nostalgia trip to Rio de Janeiro where we lived for a couple of years 21 years ago. The 2-3-2 economy seating in UA's 767-300 at least made it possible to have a pair of seats to ourselves, without totally burning all of our remaining miles.

Next to actual traveling, It's very enjoyable to refresh flight memories through all of the contributions from the forum members. Thank you all!
Thanks miniliq! And let me add my thanks as well for everyone's ongoing contributions.

As some may recall, Seat 2A initially thought this thread wouldn't last very long and thus pass away in its infancy. However, that was back in the fall of 2011 and here we are today.....
Seat 2A, wrp96 and strickerj like this.
Old May 2, 2019, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
congratulations ... best wishes for safe and enjoyable travels for many more years!
Old May 2, 2019, 8:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Your wish is my command.

There's certainly no space in there for a rollaboard. The crew were using them for the buffet trays.

Thank you so much for I may never fly aboard a 146 again. Planes are supposed to be good for technology, not appearance. I thought the 146 had both. Besides that, a slightly narrow L1 door that the passengers walk through, the short overhead compartment, which you nicely included a bit of the taller, normal one in the same photo, and, on some airlines, one economy class seat with unlimited legroom. That was in front where the seating changed from one or two rows of 2+2 to 3+2. The 2+2 economy section was due to there being first class and the need for the aisle to be aligned properly. Mesaba, flying as Northwest Airlink, a Northwest Airlines brand, flew it that way.
Old May 2, 2019, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
... the seating changed from one or two rows of 2+2 to 3+2. The 2+2 economy section was due to there being first class and the need for the aisle to be aligned properly. Mesaba, flying as Northwest Airlink, a Northwest Airlines brand, flew it that way.
iirc XJ ran their ARJ-85s with a 16F/59Y configuration, which would have been four rows of F (standard 2-2) and 12 rows of Y (all 2-3 except for the first row being 2-2) ... one of the best-ever ratios for upgrades
strickerj likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Hooray indeed, sir! It will be the first marriage for both of us.

And I have waited until the ripe old age of 66 to do this!
Wishing you both a wonderful life together and many happy contrails for the rest of your air travels ============================== >
Old May 2, 2019, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
[left]here are some online resources for Toshbaf and any others who want to generate questions for this most entertaining thread

www.timetableimages.com
www.departedflights.com
upcoming airline collectibles shows (good for acquiring old OAGs and timetables)
Thanks, J - I might also add eBay to the list. At present there are about 30 old OAGs dating from the 50s through the 80s for sale. Check 'em out HERE

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 3, 2019 at 5:59 pm
Old May 2, 2019, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

[left]here are some online resources for Toshbaf and any others who want to generate questions for this most entertaining thread

www.timetableimages.com
www.departedflights.com
upcoming airline collectibles shows (good for acquiring old OAGs and timetables)
Thanks, J - I might also add eBay to the list. At present there are about 30 old OAGs dating from the 50s through the 80s for sale. Check 'em out HERE

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 3, 2019 at 12:02 am
Old May 3, 2019, 3:43 am

iirc XJ ran their ARJ-85s with a 16F/59Y configuration, which would have been four rows of F (standard 2-2) and 12 rows of Y (all 2-3 except for the first row being 2-2) ... one of the best-ever ratios for upgrades
Every 146/RJ I have ever been in (and there have been a good few over time), all in Europe, was 3+3 throughout. As was this last one. They used to have cloth seats (I remember an early 146-100 with bright orange seats throughout) but in recent times al, from various carriers, had dark blue leather seats.

Premium up front is done by just seating passengers with an unoccupied middle. On this last flight there wasn't even a curtain to pull, but the maybe two rows up front did seem to get served a nice dinner, being elegantly served by our lady of a Certain Age, who acted like a benevolent but all-seeing school matron (you US lot will have to find out what that role is). We didn't do too badly in the back though, with a cup of coffee, a small pack of biscuits, a bag of crisps - and a very pleasant end of day Gin & Tonic

Mesaba, flying as Northwest Airlink, a Northwest Airlines brand, flew it that way
The entire Mesaba/Northwest fleet was sold in one transaction to CityJet of Dublin, they were some of the last built, and although some have now been retired, a good few remain, including those now operating in Aer Lingus livery from Dublin to London City, parallel to what I was flying. In fact one taxied out shortly before us; two 146/RJ operators on the same route in 2019.
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by WHBM; May 3, 2019 at 9:07 am
Old May 3, 2019, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Wishing you both a wonderful life together and many happy contrails for the rest of your air travels ============================== >
congratulations ... best wishes for safe and enjoyable travels for many more years!
Thank you, gentlemen!
Old May 3, 2019, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Premium up front .....being elegantly served by our lady of a Certain Age, who acted like a benevolent but all-seeing school matron (you US lot will have to find out what that role is)......
It has been awhile since I experienced this type of flight attendant....and I have not encountered her type since that time.

I believe it was back in the early 1990's. I was on board a Delta flight in first class from Anchorage to Salt Lake City operated with a 757. This route had been previously flown by Western, of course, with B727-200 and DC-10 equipment. A Lady of a Certain Age made the welcome on board announcement and I was struck by her elegance and professional nature. Then came breakfast and her extremely gracious service. I felt this must have been what cabin service was like back in the Good Olde Days of Air Travel. We got to talking later in the flight and it turned out she had begun her career with Western before they had acquired Pacific Northern, working on board such aircraft as the DC-6B and later the Electra, 707 and 720B.

I recently mentioned that we received excellent service on board an American B777-200 this past Wednesday from MIA to DFW.....but it did not approach the very high level of service I experienced from the Lady of a Certain Age who began her career all those years ago with Western.
wrp96 and strickerj like this.

Last edited by jlemon; May 3, 2019 at 10:01 am
Old May 3, 2019, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And FYI, Air Force Two, a USAF C-32 (757) transporting Vice President Mike Pence, landed just a short time ago here in LFT. The C-32 was preceded by a USAF C-17 transporting vehicles for the VP's motorcade.

Our VP will visit several churches located north of Lafayette near Opelousas that were burned down recently by an arsonist. BTW, the alleged perpetrator of these intentionally set fires was subsequently apprehended and remains in custody.
Old May 3, 2019, 12:48 pm

And FYI, Air Force Two, a USAF C-32 (757) transporting Vice President Mike Pence, landed just a short time ago here in LFT. The C-32 was preceded by a USAF C-17 transporting vehicles for the VP's motorcade.
Very occasionally I will pass Her Majesty on the road west of London, going to/from Windsor Castle which is their principal home. The "motorcade" comprises a Bentley painted a discreet dark red, three (only) police motorcyclists ahead, and a Range Rover following very close behind. All mixed in with the normal traffic. The three motorcyclists have a skill worth watching. They race ahead, hold up the traffic with a handsignal at junctions just for a moment, let the car pass, then speed on to the next one. The car, no flashing lights, meanwhile proceeds along in a stately fashion at about 25 mph, and hardly ever comes to a stand even in rush hour traffic, the three motorcycles having stopped things in a very calculated manner. I know they train and train for it, but it's a real skill and a fascination to watch in action, but you only see it for a fleeting second and then they're gone.

If you are walking on the pavement it is honourable to give a very discreet bow as they pass.

One of the police motorcyclists used to come down to our skydiving club at weekends in the early 1990s, and had some descriptions of their procedure - but not many.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bentley_State_Limousine

They also have a lovely 70 year old Rolls-Royce which I've seen on the same road a couple of times, being driven quite unaccomapnied.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_Phantom_IV

Our VP will visit several churches located north of Lafayette near Opelousas that were burned down recently by an arsonist. BTW, the alleged perpetrator of these intentionally set fires was subsequently apprehended and remains in custody.
Ah, Opelousas. I haven't heard that name since ... must be 1974, going round the USA on the Greyhound bus. I was fascinated by, and remembered, the town's name as we stopped there momentarily - and can even still say it. Extraordinary that for 45 years that has been going round inside my skull, ready to be reactivated.

Last edited by WHBM; May 3, 2019 at 1:01 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.