Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2012, 4:10 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Numerous searches over the internet have yet to turn up any BSAA material referring to its aircraft as "Starliners".
Hi S2A.

The link is back in post #1509. Depending on your browser sizing you may need to scroll down the linked page a bit to see/follow the multiple references.

If you want to see originals you'll have to come to a house close to a certain Olympic support team

Last edited by WHBM; Aug 12, 2012 at 8:43 am
Old Aug 12, 2012, 7:42 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
A few answers (or guesses)

SBA jets - add Horizon CRJ

YVR-HNL:
Aloha 737 (can't remember if it was -400 or -700)
Continental DC-10
Western 720

Originally Posted by WHBM
Bonus questions Airlines giving their own "class names" to aircraft types has really died out, but in previous generations it was more common, especially for UK airlines. So, what were these better known as :

- Argonaut
Canadair DC4M (North Star)

- Elizabethan
Airspeed Ambassador
- Frobisher
de Havilland Albatross ?

- Admiral
Vickers Viking
- Pionair
DC-3/C47
- Plymouth
Short Sandringham
Old Aug 12, 2012, 8:40 am

Programs: BA
Wally, dear chap.

Spot on, including the Frobisher ! We must have a get-together sometime.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
The link is back in post #1509. Depending on your browser sizing you may need to scroll down the linked page a bit to see/follow the multiple references.
Browser sizing, indeed. My next computer will be a desktop. Thanks, WHBM. Your reference is excellent. By the way, my reference on the Air France "Starliner" name was this article HERE.

Now It's off to spray down the cabin eaves with ammonia.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:28 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Seat 2A and WHBM: Just to add to the Starliner discussion, I ran across this TWA print ad where Starliner is clearly used in the ad copy:
http://www.amazon.com/Trans-World-Ai.../dp/B005DGP0J2
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:50 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
17) It's the winter of 1976 and you've just received a phone call from an old buddy who has just purchased a 46' catamaran in Grand Turk (GDT) in the British West Indies. "So how about a little sailing adventure down here, amigo?", he asks over the phone and, of course, you're in! But how to get there? Your location is San Francisco and you need to fly in first class from SFO to MIA on Friday night in order to connect to a flight on Saturday morning that is operated with a classic prop airliner by another airline from MIA to GDT. Name both airlines and the respective aircraft types they operated on these services.
Red-eye flight from SFO-MIA on a National DC-10. Connecting to morning flight to GDT on Mackey International -- Convair 440.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:14 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Wally, dear chap.

Spot on, including the Frobisher ! We must have a get-together sometime.
The only reason I knew that was because I once, many, many years ago had Dinky Toys #62w "Frobisher". Odd, the things one remembers.

I'm kind of marooned up here in the NW, but if you're ever in Vancouver...
Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:18 am

18) It's still the winter of 1976 and you've been invited to go on a skiing trip in northern New Mexico after your great sailing adventure off Grand Turk. Your location is Dallas and you need to swing by Albuquerque to pick up a good friend before you drive north to Taos. You've identified three (3) airlines that operate DFW-ABQ nonstop service. Name all three airlines and the aircraft types they flew on the route.

I'll try
American -- 727
Southwestern -- 737
Texas International -- DC-9;
At one point Continental also flew that route with a 727, but I think it was discontinued.

19) It's the spring of 1981 and you need to travel from Dallas/Ft. Worth to Milwaukee (MKE). You have your choice of two airlines operating nonstop service. Identify both airlines and type of equipment they flew on the route.

My guesses are Texas International -- DC-9, and Ozark, also DC-9.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I've got a bit of free time here, so let's try a couple more:

1) It has been established on this thread that both American Airlines and TWA operated nonstop flights between STL and HNL at different times over the years. Transamerica Airlines also offered service between STL and HNL with B747 equipment; however, these flights were not nonstop but direct in nature as stops were made at either DFW or at both DFW and LAX.

There was also a third airline that operated nonstop service between STL and HNL. Identify the carrier and the aircraft type used. And here's a hint: the westbound service from St. Louis to Hawaii actually originated in a city located in the eastern U.S. Identify this city for extra bonus points.

Well, I've been wondering about this one since it was posted. Outside of TW, AA and TIA, I'm figuring it had to be an airline like ATA (American Trans Air) or possibly an outfit like Tower Air. Let's go with ATA, using an L-1011-500. As to the originating city... uh... Boston?

5) It's the summer of 1983 and you find yourself in Asuncion, Paraguay (ASU) on a Friday night with local friends celebrating the conclusion of a successful business trip. However, you need to be in New Orleans (MSY) by Monday morning for yet another business meeting. So you need to depart on Saturday morning. You have discovered that you can fly direct with no change of plane in first class from ASU to MSY; however, there are no less than four (4) en route stops. Identify the airline, the aircraft type used and all of the intermediate stops.

This sounds like something Eastern Airlines might have been able to provide with its El Inter-Americano First Class Service. I'm guessing a routing like ASU-LAP-LIM-BOG-MIA-MSY using a 727-200 or maybe even an L-1011.

6) It's the winter of 1987 and you need to travel on business from Stockton, CA (SCK) to Minot, ND (MOT). Now, you really do not want to go to Minot as you know it will most likely be very cold in North Dakota! So, to take the sting out the trip, you decide you want to fly in first class on board a jet with no change of plane. What airline would you choose and what type of aircraft would you fly on? Here's a hint: this flight made two (2) intermediate stops en route. Identify these two stops for extra bonus points.

Strictly a guess here: United 737-200 SCK-SFO-DEN-MOT

I'll leave a few questions for others (and who knows, these answers I've provided could very well be wrong anyway!) and leave you all with this article from this morning's Fairbanks News-Miner. Squirrels aren't the only problem around here.

Granite Tors Grizzlies Causing Trouble Again
Excellent answers as usual from Seat 2A!

1) To the best of my knowledge, ATA and Tower Air did not fly nonstop between STL and HNL. And the flight did not originate in Boston. So here's a hint: this service was provided by a major U.S. airline at the time. I've got their timetable for this service right here on my desk. So please guess again!

5) Eastern Airlines is correct! The equipment used on this EA service was a B727-200. The routing was bit a different, though, as the aircraft made stops in Ecuador and Panama in addition to Bolivia and Peru. The actual routing was ASU-LAP-LIM-GYE-PTY-MSY. EA flt. #956 departed ASU on a Saturday afternoon at 5:30pm local and arrived in MSY the next morning at 10:24am CDT. So our intrepid traveler would have had plenty of time for a nap followed by dinner in the French Quarter prior to the meeting on Monday!

6) United is an excellent guess! However, the airline was actually Continental with B737-200 service on a routing of SCK-FAT-DEN-MOT.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 1:09 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
11) It's the late summer of 1963 and you have a business meeting you must attend in San Antonio. Your present location is Manhattan. You've discovered that one airline flies direct with no change of plane from Newark (EWR) to San Antonio (SAT). And even better, this carrier offers a special first class service on board your favorite turboprop airliner. Coach service is available as well, but, of course, you'll be in the front cabin. You also like the fact there are three (3) intermediate stops en route as you love the landings and takeoffs while on board the latest version of this airplane. Identify the airline, the aircraft type, the name of the special first class service and all three intermediate stops.
This was Braniff International Airways, using their latest "Jet Powered" Lockheed (L-188) Electra IIs. The special service that was offered was called the Silver Service. Its routing was EWR-DCA-DAL-AUS-SAT.

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
YVR-HNL:
Continental DC-10
Western 720
Tonywestsider concurs with Wally Bird. Aloha (AQ) flew this route nonstop using Boeing 737-700s. WA did fly this route in 1981, with either 707s or 720s. I'm trying to find documentation that CO also flew this route back in the day. I can't come up with the documentation but I would say it's a good guess.

Contrast that to today's service by a US airline on the YVR-HNL route, which happens to be DL codeshare, but operated with WestJet metal (Boeing 737-800).
Old Aug 12, 2012, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by miniliq
Enough for tonight -- I still have some work to do writing up my last trip.
2) Great answers from miniliq and Wally Bird concerning the airlines that previously operated jet service from Santa Barbara (SBA)!

Here's my comprehensive response:

#1 - Air Wisconsin: BAe 146-200 and BAe 146-300 service operating as United Express nonstop to DEN. Air Wis replaced UA's mainline service on this route. And to the best of my knowledge, SBA was the only city ever served in California with the series 300 stretched version of the BAe 146.

#2 - Allegiant Air: MD-80 service to LAS. This flight did not last very long as Allegiant apparently decided to increase LAS frequencies instead at nearby SMX (which is located in the northern part of the same county as SBA). And Allegiant is also planning on initiating SMX-HNL nonstop service as well with B757-200 equipment.

#3 - American Airlines: MD-80 service to DFW. Some flights made an intermediate stop at either BFL or BUR and one could buy a seat on these short hops (I flew from BFL to SBA on an AA MD-80). BTW, after this service was canceled, AA Eagle then flew nonstop SBA-DFW for awhile with a CRJ-700. This service was dropped as well. These days, AA Eagle only flies SBA-LAX with regional jet equipment used on the route including the CRJ-700 and ERJ-135.

#4 - Continental Airlines: B737-300 service nonstop to DEN. This service did not last very long.

#5 - ExpressJet: ERJ-145 service nonstop to SAN and SMF. This was part of an attempt by ExpressJet to operate a standalone, non-codeshare, hub bypass route network in the U.S. It didn't work and ExpressJet was subsequently sold to SkyWest and then rolled into Atlantic Southeast Airlines (ASA, a division of SkyWest) which then retained the ExpressJet name. The initial name for the merged ExpressJet-ASA entity was SureJet but this name was quickly dropped in favor of ExpressJet.

#6 - Horizon Air: CRJ-700 service to SMF, PDX and SEA. SkyWest now flies this service to PDX and SEA with the very same CRJ-700 (CR7) equipment under contract to Alaska Airlines as former CR7 operator Horizon Air has now standardized their fleet with only the Dash 8 Q400 turboprop being operated with these aircraft now appearing in Alaska Airlines livery. Thanks to Wally Bird for reminding me of this as QX was not on my original list!

#7 - Hughes Air West: "Top Banana In The West!" with DC-9-10 and DC-9-30 service to LAX, SFO, BFL, LAS plus other destinations that were served on a direct, no change of plane basis.....including SEA with only seven (7) intermediate stops en route! RW flt. #874 was operated with a DC-9-30 (D9S) on an actual routing of LAX-SBA-SFO-SCK-TWF-PIH-IDA-BOI-PDX-SEA. This flight departed SBA at 11:20am and arrived at SEA at 6:59pm.

#8 - Mesa Air: To the best of my knowledge, Mesa never operated the BAe 146 or the ERJ-145 into SBA. In fact, I do not think Mesa operated either type. However, Mesa did operate the CRJ-900 and CRJ-200 into SBA as America West Express on behalf of America West on a routing of SBA-PHX. This service then continued on under the US Airways Express banner until US Airways booted Mesa off the route and awarded this contract flying to SkyWest which currently operates CRJ-200 equipment SBA-PHX. Thanks to miniliq for mentioning Mesa as this regional carrier was not on my original list as well!

#9 - Pacific Air Lines: B727-100 service to LAX, MRY and SFO. To the best of my knowledge, Pacific Air Lines was the first carrier to operate jet equipment from SBA. Pacific, of course, then merged with Bonanza Airlines and West Coast Airlines to form Air West which then became Hughes Air West.

#10 - Pacific Express: BAC One-Eleven service to SFO, LAX and BFL. I flew on this service several times to SFO and LAX.

#11 - Shuttle by United: B737-300 and B737-500 service to SFO. This UA division replaced UA's mainline service to SFO.

And last but certainly not least.....

#12 - United Airlines: B727-100, B727-200, B737-200 and B737-300 service. Nonstop flights were operated to ORD, DEN, SFO and LAX with one stop service to SEA and other destinations. The airline of the Friendly Skies was the big dog in SBA for many years.

So as you can see, there were actually twelve (12) airlines that served SBA with jet service in the past.....

11) Excellent responses from miniliq and tonywestsider who are both correct! Braniff International operated this flight with a "First Class and Coach Jet Power Electra II", according to the remarks in their timetable.

Last edited by jlemon; Aug 12, 2012 at 3:23 pm Reason: Additional info
Old Aug 12, 2012, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wally Bird

SBA jets - add Horizon CRJ

YVR-HNL:
Continental DC-10
Western 720
2) Horizon Air with CRJ-700 "AS" code share service from SBA to SEA, PDX and SMF is correct! Please see my detailed response above.....

3) Wally Bird and tonywestsider are both correct! Aloha Airlines flew HNL-YVR nonstop with an ETOPS certified B737-700. I do not believe the B737-400 had the range for this route. Continental operated a DC-10 and as for Western, they also operated a DC-10 as well and may have also flown HNL-YVR with B720B.

Last edited by jlemon; Aug 13, 2012 at 8:41 am Reason: Fixed the question number....
Old Aug 12, 2012, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miniliq
Red-eye flight from SFO-MIA on a National DC-10. Connecting to morning flight to GDT on Mackey International -- Convair 440.
17) Correct with just one minor difference!

Here are the schedules from the Feb. 1, 1976 Official Airline Guide (OAG):

NA 30: Depart SFO 11:10pm, arrive MIA 7:00am (next day arrival). Equipment: DC-10. Class of service: FN (night first class). Remarks: this flight operated on Fridays only. Nonstop service.

Connecting to.....

MI 311: Depart MIA 8:50am, arrive GDT 12:55pm. Equipment: DC-6. Class of service: A (propellor first class). Remarks: this flight operated on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays only. Two (2) intermediate stops en route at GGT and PLS.

BTW, National was the only carrier to offer nonstop and direct service from SFO to MIA at this time. And NA operated all SFO-MIA flights with DC-10 equipment (with the "Sun King" proudly emblazoned on the tail).
Old Aug 12, 2012, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's how miniliq did on the following questions:

18) In the winter of 1976, the three (3) airlines flying the DFW-ABQ route were: Continental with B727-200 service, Frontier with B737-200 service and Texas International with DC-9-10 service. In addition to their respective nonstop services, CO also operated one stop direct flights via either ELP or MAF while TI flew a two stop direct service via MAF and ROW. American and Southwest (which you referred to as "Southwestern") were not flying between DFW(AA)/DAL(WN) and ABQ at this time.

19) Correct! Ozark flew DFW-MKE nonstop with DC-9-30 equipment while Texas International operated nonstop with DC-9-10 aircraft. BTW, Midwest Express wasn't around yet.

Last edited by jlemon; Aug 13, 2012 at 11:45 am Reason: Airport addition
Old Aug 12, 2012, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tonywestsider
This was Braniff International Airways, using their latest "Jet Powered" Lockheed (L-188) Electra IIs. The special service that was offered was called the Silver Service. Its routing was EWR-DCA-DAL-AUS-SAT.

Tonywestsider concurs with Wally Bird. Aloha (AQ) flew this route nonstop using Boeing 737-700s. WA did fly this route in 1981, with either 707s or 720s. I'm trying to find documentation that CO also flew this route back in the day. I can't come up with the documentation but I would say it's a good guess.

Contrast that to today's service by a US airline on the YVR-HNL route, which happens to be DL codeshare, but operated with WestJet metal (Boeing 737-800).
Correct on both counts, Tony! Please see my responses to both questions above.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.