Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do you always tell co-workers where you go on leisure trips?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you always tell co-workers where you go on leisure trips?

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2011, 3:52 pm

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by Athena53
I don't want them to think:

1. I'm embezzling from the company
2. We're so rich that our house is full of lovely things to steal or we might pay ransom if one of our kids is kidnapped
3. I made business travel decisions that were detrimental to the company in order to rack up points
4. They can dump me out in the next downsizing wave because we have so much money we go to Europe every year.
Interesting thread that seems to again highlight the difference in attitudes between the average American and the rest of us on this planet. Athena53, apologies for picking out your post but for me it captures perfectly the collective paranoia that exists in corporate America today.

I have a rather different approach. My company is lucky to have me and I let them know it as often as possible, quite often on a postcard from somewhere far, far away.
Old May 31, 2011, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Agree.

Originally Posted by fastflyer
I'll come down on the side of breasting your cards. While many workplaces do not have this problem, some workplaces do have troublemakers. I've worked with and for a few of them, and any information can be manipulated, with "excessive" travel and sometimes related to that, "excessive" pay becoming a problem if that is how a travel-heavy lifestyle is perceived.

I'd add that for many of us who travel for work, a negotiated work schedule (commonly 4-days onsite, 1-day offsite), can also create friction.

I've experienced or witnessed enough of these situations so that I provide an absolute minimum of information regarding my travel, certainly my income (often perceived as related to travel), and my personal life.
Most people are fine with it. It's not such a big deal. But there may be 1 or 2 people who will decide that they don't like you, they think you make too much money, you're living high on the hog, etc. But the problem is that you don't know who those 1-2 people are. It's best just to keep your personal life personal and your work life your work.
Old May 31, 2011, 7:49 pm

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards, Delta Skymiles
I work for the state, so my salary is published in the newspaper once a year. Don't have to worry too much about someone thinking I'm making an excessive amount of money in comparison to my co-workers. The attitude I've always had is that everyone chooses what to spend their money on. I spend every available penny on travel. I have co-workers who spend a nice chunk of change each week at the bar or the beauty salon or the mall. They show off their latest hairstyle, purchases, etc. and I show off my latest travel pictures. To each their own ^.
Old May 31, 2011, 7:58 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
I agree with those who keep their plans discreet to avoid being singled out as "always on vacation." It's a shame that people have to do that-- after all, the company gives me X number of vacation days a year, and I can take them all at once, or one by one, but taking them one by one gives people the perception that you're always gone. If you were taking them one by one and, when asked, said you needed a long weekend to paint the house, then I suppose the perception would be that you had a very nice house

So the perception does not have to match reality but once you have the reputation as being "always gone" it is very hard to shake, and it can factor in to performance reviews and such.
Old May 31, 2011, 9:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by TWA A380
Don't look into Wikipedia. There are some very bad and sadistic people there. You can make quite a few changes with no trouble. Then one day, some savage people (who are administrators) will treat you badly. Administrators are often college and high school kids who vote for each other. Once I corrected an error and they kept changing it back. I cited a textbook but it didn't matter. Ok, keep your error. It wasn't anything religious or political but just factual.
Thanks for the heads up..

Regulation is expected.. but if it comes down to facts changed erroneously and consistently, I'm surprised.
Old May 31, 2011, 9:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by drat19
My personal experience has been in the latter two scenarios I listed...co-worker morale or office gossip-mill. I've never been let go over my ability to do more during my leisure time than others, BUT, I could see where a resentful boss with decision-making ability and his own financial/family problems might have the thought go through his/her mind if all other things are equal. So, better to give fewer details and keep everything "more equal".
Hmm.. interesting..

In our office we talk about leisure.. and somewhat surprisingly, each has their opinion about what to do in their off hours..

The other day I was talking how we're going to be taking another 3 1/2 week trip to Mayan Riviera/SoCal.. and basically one person couldn't understand that I had to use up all my incentives, and basically I'm paying Best Western Rates at Fairmonts, and how my flight is free.. his comment was if I stayed home I would save money..

Actually in reality, I would be spending more money frequenting hotels within the area as it'll be high season.. Costs me less to go to Fairmont in the Riviera Maya, and 3 Fairmonts in SoCal
Old May 31, 2011, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
The other day I was talking how we're going to be taking another 3 1/2 week trip to Mayan Riviera/SoCal.. and basically one person couldn't understand that I had to use up all my incentives, and basically I'm paying Best Western Rates at Fairmonts, and how my flight is free..
I agree it's very difficult to explain the fruits of loyalty programs to people who don't understand them. I have family members I've stopped discussing this stuff with. When I fly myself or my family first class they either think I stole it, or I'm rich and I should be buying them F tickets too. So now they don't find out what I'm doing.
Old May 31, 2011, 11:19 pm

Programs: A3 *G, fmr DL PM
It's fun to rub it in after the fact to induce jealousy, but not before. My vacation time (leave) can be canceled. Never a good thing.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I always let one person know how I can be reached (these days, email, but if I am not going to have connectivity, a place / phone number) just in case of dire emergency (and they are good, at this company I have never been called while overseas).

I may mention that I will be away to others, to give them a heads up if we are working together on something etc. If they ask I will tell them briefly. I have no issues with people knowing I am going anywhere in the world!

When I come back, people often ask where I have been (especially if you have a tell tale tan etc) yesterday someone I know a little asked, and we got into a really interesting discussion on Mexico, she was under the impression it was a very unsafe place. I like to think open conversation helps people have a better understanding of the world.

I have also clued in some work colleagues to great deals etc. that I have found on here and round about, and it makes for a pleasant workplace when you can have some small talk about sunnier climes!
Old Jun 2, 2011, 12:50 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
After seeing 127 Hours I hope everyone here on Flyertalk at least leaves a note!
Old Jun 2, 2011, 1:15 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
I've always been friendly enough with my coworkers to have no fear of any of them compleining about me "always being on vacation" (because they all know I only take one per year), nor is it any big secret where I go (almost always to the same place unless I'm going to a family wedding or funeral), and it's usually pretty important for a bunch of them to know how long I'll be gone and when I'll be back, so that pretty much covers all of the bases.

As for getting called while I'm on vacation, that's pretty rare for me. At the last 2 companies where I've worked, there was a prevailing attitude - NOBODY calls me while I'm on vacation! I share that attitude, and those left behind always respected the sanctity of the vacation and simply assumed that anyone who was on vacation was unreachable (even though our cell numbers and personal emails were readily available).

The company where I worked before that had a different view, and I did get a few calls on my cell while I was on vacation. But that's what caller ID is for; I simply didn't answer.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I've found that most of my co-workers had children (most are under 35) without realizing that children very quickly zap your money and time. For awhile I did, then the "envy" factor reared its head (among other things). I now keep my travel plans to myself and when asked I tell people I'm staying home over the weekend.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by BearX220
I keep my trip details to myself. I find people will (A) try to one-up you with more exotic or expensive plans of their own -- a competition I don't want to enter, (B) express envy or confusion, which leads to discomfort, or (C) never understand that it is largely done with frequent-flyer miles and hotel points, and conclude I'm either rich or impossibly hoity-toity.
Yes. I generally take two international leisure trips per year. I am single without children and live modestly so that I can afford to maintain my travel habits. When I started my last job, I would tell my coworkers where I was headed, which was almost always met with, "You always go to weird places. Why don't you just go to Florida?" or "You must be making too much money."

This was cringe-worthy, so I stopped giving details. Plus, like others in this thread, I actually sensed that my travel could impact office politics in a way that would leave me high and dry in should the organization need to tighten its belt.

I've started being open about travel again at my current job, because it is with an organization that does quite a bit of international business, and all of my coworkers travel extensively, so they have an appreciation for my wanderlust.

Cool thread, by the way.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Athena53

ETA another reason: I want the people in our offices outside of North America to know that people my office, located in a non-tourist destination in the Midwest, have worldviews beyond the prairie. One of my US-based co-workers, old enough to have been an adult when the Berlin Wall collapsed, once asked our colleagues in Munich, "so, how did there get to be an East Germany and a West Germany?" I wanted to sink under the table. My co-workers in Europe know that I can do more than order dinner in German, I follow news podcasts in 4 languages, and not only can I locate Dubrovnik on a map, I've piloted a kayak around the city walls. It helps fight stereotypes.
With such talents, surely you should ditch that silly midwestern company and aspire to higher office. Say what are you doing between 2013 and 2017? The country can't afford to waste your 4 language podcast listening talents ant longer!!

It's hilarious how you want to fight stereotypes yet you perpetuate the "all Americans (but you of course) that don't live within 15 miles of an ocean are inbred, uneducated hicks who don't know nothin' about no Berlin Walls" stereotype yourself.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 1:49 pm

Some interesting comments here. My thinking has always been I don't keep secrets from people and I don't lie. Makes life a lot easier that way. This is true whether with family, friends or business relationships. If I share info that someone doesn't like, so be it. Their problem, not mine.

I work for myself so I don't have co-workers to share info with. My "co-workers" are my clients. They know how much I bill an hour so they know I can afford to go nice places.

As far as not telling where I go for fear that someone will call me in the middle of a vacation...I don't see how the destination is a factor. If I go to a 5 star hotel in Fiji or a Motel 6 in Daytona Beach, if someone wants to interrupt my vacation they will do so either way. They'll call my cell phone or email me which doesn't change based on my destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.