FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Do you always tell co-workers where you go on leisure trips?
Old May 31, 2011, 3:57 pm
SFflyer123

Programs: UA 1K
Agree.

Originally Posted by fastflyer
I'll come down on the side of breasting your cards. While many workplaces do not have this problem, some workplaces do have troublemakers. I've worked with and for a few of them, and any information can be manipulated, with "excessive" travel and sometimes related to that, "excessive" pay becoming a problem if that is how a travel-heavy lifestyle is perceived.

I'd add that for many of us who travel for work, a negotiated work schedule (commonly 4-days onsite, 1-day offsite), can also create friction.

I've experienced or witnessed enough of these situations so that I provide an absolute minimum of information regarding my travel, certainly my income (often perceived as related to travel), and my personal life.
Most people are fine with it. It's not such a big deal. But there may be 1 or 2 people who will decide that they don't like you, they think you make too much money, you're living high on the hog, etc. But the problem is that you don't know who those 1-2 people are. It's best just to keep your personal life personal and your work life your work.