FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Do you always tell co-workers where you go on leisure trips?
Old Jun 2, 2011, 1:35 pm
zcat18

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by BearX220
I keep my trip details to myself. I find people will (A) try to one-up you with more exotic or expensive plans of their own -- a competition I don't want to enter, (B) express envy or confusion, which leads to discomfort, or (C) never understand that it is largely done with frequent-flyer miles and hotel points, and conclude I'm either rich or impossibly hoity-toity.
Yes. I generally take two international leisure trips per year. I am single without children and live modestly so that I can afford to maintain my travel habits. When I started my last job, I would tell my coworkers where I was headed, which was almost always met with, "You always go to weird places. Why don't you just go to Florida?" or "You must be making too much money."

This was cringe-worthy, so I stopped giving details. Plus, like others in this thread, I actually sensed that my travel could impact office politics in a way that would leave me high and dry in should the organization need to tighten its belt.

I've started being open about travel again at my current job, because it is with an organization that does quite a bit of international business, and all of my coworkers travel extensively, so they have an appreciation for my wanderlust.

Cool thread, by the way.