Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most overrated tourist attractions in the world

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Originally Posted by iahphx
Ha! After reading mediocre reviews, I refused to pay for that one, too. And that's probably THE most interesting thing to do in Dublin, a city that I find extremely over-rated. It's just much nicer than Belfast. But why anyone would want to spend their time in Dublin instead of London escapes me. I find any midsize English city better than Dublin. Like, say, Oxford.
I have the complete opposite opinion of the city as a whole. I found the city fascinating and will return at the next opportunity I get. But Guinness sucked.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by pinniped
I like Loch Ness. Spent a night at a little B&B in Fort Augustus and then we drove up the western side of the loch to Inverness. Stopped about halfway to visit Urquhart Castle along the way. We were literally the only tourists there...It was a gorgeous setting.
I learned to sail in the Great Glen and Loch Ness is one of the highlights. The largest of the lochs and incredible deep, it's deemed that if you drained it you can fit the entire world's population ten times over in it. Good, eh?

The good thing about being on a boat is that you can easily avoid all the tourists and like you went up into Urquhart Castle in the evening alone. Very cool.

Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
Question - I live in the south and have never visited Graceland. Is it worth a visit?
Take your own advice...as you've read there are lots of agreements and disagreements. For some people Graceland is probably amazing, for others, like me, it holds absolutely zero draw whatsoever.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Originally Posted by Fraser
Take your own advice...as you've read there are lots of agreements and disagreements. For some people Graceland is probably amazing, for others, like me, it holds absolutely zero draw whatsoever.
I have seen plus and minus arguments on every site in the world, more or less. But I always figure it never hurts to ask for another opinion, especially since I do not remember seeing Graceland on this list which makes me wonder two things. Do FT posters not visit there? Or is it so amazing that FT'ers would never include it on this list?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:18 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
I have seen plus and minus arguments on every site in the world, more or less. But I always figure it never hurts to ask for another opinion, especially since I do not remember seeing Graceland on this list which makes me wonder two things. Do FT posters not visit there? Or is it so amazing that FT'ers would never include it on this list?
Graceland: We saw the outside and didn't bother to go in. It just looks like an old, oversized Mid Century Modern home with a big plane as yard art. Throngs of tourists pouring out of tour buses cinched the "Pass" decision for us. Now, Sun Studios, where Elvis got his start, was fun and funky and more about his roots than his ostentatious home would seem to be. They told little stories about how he got his start, and the rise of rock and roll as a genre. I'd give Sun Studios a big thumbs up. It was one of the more interesting things in Memphis for us.

Guinness Brewery, Dublin: I went the final year that it was still an operational brewery. That was a couple of years ago. The operations were relocated, and the old brewery site is now just for tourism. I'm not a big beer fan, but I liked the farm to table aspect as the tour took you through the beer making process. I think the history of Guinness in Ireland is interesting. In essence, there was a time when a job at Guinness meant your family would be ok. There weren't a lot of jobs. We were told that Guinness took care of its employees "from the cradle to the grave."
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
Voodoo Donuts, Portland OR.

Sure, they have offbeat toppings, but any mom and pop donut shop has better donuts at reasonable prices without a line of tourists.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Brussels
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
How about...

I read through about 1000 entries on Stonehenge, Great Wall, Hawai'i and Wall Drug, but couldn't read all. Has anyone mentioned the "Seven Colo(u)red Earths" in Mauritius? Buncha dirt if you ask me. Big deal to get there, viewing station, local guides, etc. And then the "earths" range from deep rust color to $hit brown. Fascinating!!
Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
I m going to add Waikiki.
Absolutely despise the place. Not a good beach, overcrowded and overpriced.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Wow, I didn't check this thread for 2 days, and in that time others have already offered the three comments I'd make.

Vegas - Almost everything is overrated. 'Nuff said.

Guinness Brewery, Dublin: The first two levels with displays about the history of beer making were interested. I enjoyed seeing the displays in person much more than simply reading about them on Wikipedia. But then the next several levels of the tour were basically all corporate marketing, gift shops, and food courts. Bo-o-o-ring. And the bar on the top floor where you get a free pint of beer was stupid crowded, like a college frat party where you have to muscle your way through the throng around the free beer tap.

Voodoo Donuts, Portland OR: At peak times the line wraps around the block. DW and I took one look at the wait and said "Yeah, right." We bought donuts from a food truck across the street (no line!) and they were amazing.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by WorldLux
Dubai is pretty much overrated too. It's nice for relaxing a couple of days but I can't quite understand those that rave about Dubai and the shopping opportunities.
Completely agree RE: Dubai

Never was impressed with anything I saw there, especially the indoor skiing. Won't ever consider another visit there outside of same day flight connections.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:27 pm

angkor wat

40 bucks to see some old rocks? not my thing apparently.

siem reap was a lot of fun though, so was PP.

but next time i go i'm giving the wats a pass.

just me.

just did it because
Old Jan 21, 2018, 8:46 am
Suspended

The Space Needle (going up to the observation deck) was really underwhelming.

Should have just looked from afar.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Artpen100
Brussels
Mind sharing a couple details. Brussels is IMO fun and certainly not overrated for a third/fourth tier city. If you expected the same from Brussels as you would from New York, Paris, London, Hong Kong, Tokyo, etc. then I can understand why Brussels is disappointing in comparison to those cities.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Has the Grand Canyon been mentioned yet ?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K

Originally Posted by KDS777
Has the Grand Canyon been mentioned yet ?
there’s a “Search This Thread” button at the top of the page ... 33 occurrences thus far (some are in quotes of prior posts, but still ...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.