Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

what to do when airline warned me about numerous throw-away ticketing? ($95 vs $497)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what to do when airline warned me about numerous throw-away ticketing? ($95 vs $497)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2014, 9:45 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by pinniped
The U.S.'s large non-hub-and-spoke airline, Southwest, has said "go ahead and use hidden-city if you can find it...just tell us about it when you disembark early."
Southwest quietly removed the explicit acceptance of hidden city ticketing from its online policy documents in 2011.

Then in 2013 Southwest stopped awarding any points for hidden flights. They also started zeroing out any unused funds (taxes for the dropped segment) which had formerly been refundable.

Southwest does not yet prohibit hidden city travel but they definitely don't like it. I believe that Southwest's original policy, like some of its other past customer-friendly policies, was simply making a virtue of necessity: Southwest's software did not have the capability to do otherwise.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 9:48 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
All of the analogies here are false constructs.

I laughed at the puppy one, though. That was good. @:-)
I apologize for comparing MKE to a malformed puppy.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
It's kind of funny watching people twist, dance and spin in an attempt to justify a rather clear ethical violation. Hidden city tickets are banned. You agreed to that when you bought the ticket. If you do it, at the minimum, you lied.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 9:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I honestly never thought about trying to collect the taxes back on the dropped WN segment, nor did I ever attempt to recover unused credit there. (I wasn't even aware it was possible.)

My primary hidden-city example was when MCI-OKC would have a promo fare and I'd buy MCI-DAL-OKC. It was often something like a $59 one-way when the regular Dallas one was $80-90. The flight credit (pre-RR2.0) posted fine.

But thank you for the clarification that the rules have changed a bit: it would be worth assessing now to determine whether a narrow savings it worth it or not.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by jrl767
my last hidden-city itinerary was on US about three years ago: XXX-DCA was over $500 whereas XXX-DCA-YYY was approx $225 and DCA-YYY was also about $225 ... when I checked in and printed BPs at approx T-8 hrs, there were only two of 37 seats open on DCA-YYY; as I was making my way thru the crowds by the shuttle bus doors at DCA I heard the GA soliciting volunteers for that flight
Did you volunteer?
Old Sep 20, 2014, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
lol, didn't even think about that angle!

the amusing thing is that I could probably have shot to the top of the VDB list since the next flight was in ~6 hrs ... "just give me the VDB, you don't even have to rebook me; it's 3 hrs in a rental car that I'll be returning here anyway"
Old Sep 20, 2014, 7:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
All of the analogies here are false constructs.

I laughed at the puppy one, though. That was good. @:-)
Yes. This endless debate always confuses goods and services. They are different. I'd love to see the look on someone's face if an airlines suddenly rebooked a passenger on a direct flight A->C, when they really wanted to get to B!

The malformed puppy was good though! (Just give it to some sad looking kid hanging out near the store!)
Old Sep 20, 2014, 8:10 am

Programs: Enough
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
It's kind of funny watching people twist, dance and spin in an attempt to justify a rather clear ethical violation. Hidden city tickets are banned. You agreed to that when you bought the ticket. If you do it, at the minimum, you lied.
1. At most, it's a potential breach of contract.

2. Are all contractual breaches ethical violations? I suspect not. For example, courts encourage 'efficient breaches.' Moreover, for a contract of adhesion, especially one where the consumer has little expectation nor ability to understand the meaning of the contract, there is an obvious limit on any ethical violation.

3. A lie is to purposefully convey point X with the knowledge that point X is false. Ticketing something that you wish to use differently than ticketed is not in itself a lie (especially when the consumer is not expected in a normal circumstance to have read the CoC).
Old Sep 20, 2014, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by LondonElite
This endless debate always confuses goods and services.
Exactly. All these defensive comparisons to a volume of goods sold are total non-starters.

Originally Posted by durberville
At most, it's a potential breach of contract.
It is the purchasing of a cheaper service, but the consumption of a more expensive one. It's much more than a breach of contract.

It is a funny FT phenomenon that the same community which turns handstands to defend its favorite airlines against customers will so nimbly turn around and invent far-fetched rationales to cheat those same airlines.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: Enough
Originally Posted by BearX220
Exactly. All these defensive comparisons to a volume of goods sold are total non-starters.

It is the purchasing of a cheaper service, but the consumption of a more expensive one. It's much more than a breach of contract.

It is a funny FT phenomenon that the same community which turns handstands to defend its favorite airlines against customers will so nimbly turn around and invent far-fetched rationales to cheat those same airlines.
Fundamentally, I can't see a public policy nor a moral reason why we should constrain the egress of anybody due to contractual reasons here. Yes, they could have paid more, but do we want to have an environment where we prohibit the egress of somebody because doing so ought to have been more costly?

Indeed, I think there's both a public policy and philosophical rationale to preserve the right of egress.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Yes, they could have paid more, but do we want to have an environment where we prohibit the egress of somebody because doing so ought to have been more costly?
If you are a service provider who prices the cost of a discrete service at a certain level and wishes to protect the integrity of your service / profit model, yes you do.

It is an arbitrary and irrelevant factor in the physical provision of that service -- transport from point A to point C -- that the device employed therein makes a stop at point B.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 10:11 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Indeed, I think there's both a public policy and philosophical rationale to preserve the right of egress.
Does that include the right to premeditated egress at B time after time on tickets purchased from A to C? I don't see a public policy imperative to permit that.

One unpremeditated skipped segment will not bother the airline. It's the repeat offenders they are after.

Southwest's approach is interesting. They don't attempt to recover money from the traveler. They merely intercept any points earnings.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 11:22 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Fundamentally, I can't see a public policy nor a moral reason why we should constrain the egress of anybody due to contractual reasons here. Yes, they could have paid more, but do we want to have an environment where we prohibit the egress of somebody because doing so ought to have been more costly?

Are we still upset that the airline's reaction to DB Cooper's wish for in-flight egress spoiled it for everyone else?

Seriously, there are economic issues at play here. How far do you want to push the idea that egress is some sort of right?

The airlines are free to sell any ticket they wish for whatever price they wish, at terms disclosed in their COC and allowed by the relevant agencies governing purchases and air travel.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite

Where do you see the airlines or anyone else asserting that a passenger is, or should be, physically prevented from discontinuing his journey at "point B" or not taking a return leg? The issue is one of alleged breach of contract terms which is a civil matter that the airline may pursue if the passenger skips the leg, etc. A gate agent won't handcuff you, and drag you kicking and screaming onto the plane at point B.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by BearX220

American Airlines itself says the practice of hidden city ticketing is not illegal.

It says it is only an ethical issue and potential breach of contract. Nothing more.

AA has published a letter to that effect on their website.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Bookin...p&locale=de_DE

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.