Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

what to do when airline warned me about numerous throw-away ticketing? ($95 vs $497)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what to do when airline warned me about numerous throw-away ticketing? ($95 vs $497)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
There is one other possibility; I don't know if it actually happens.

Service to CCC is subsidized, and the CCC government requires a certain number of passengers to be flown there for an airline to get the subsidy. So the airline prices tickets to CCC lower, in order to get that subsidy. Buying AAA-BBB-CCC and not flying the last segment deprives the airline of actual revenue.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by sethb
There is one other possibility; I don't know if it actually happens.

Service to CCC is subsidized, and the CCC government requires a certain number of passengers to be flown there for an airline to get the subsidy. So the airline prices tickets to CCC lower, in order to get that subsidy. Buying AAA-BBB-CCC and not flying the last segment deprives the airline of actual revenue.
Generally speaking, subsidized markets are smaller towns and more expensive than major, unsubsidized markets.

There are always exceptions, like $2 fares to Lebanon, NH.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 3:45 pm

Programs: QFF WP
Originally Posted by jrl767
the economics side of the question is much fuzzier [...]
I'd argue the economics aspect is completely transparent and clear-cut. The airline wants to milk as much money out of you as possible and you want to spend as little as possible.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
There is also something called detrimental reliance.
Which is not, so far as I can glean an understanding of it, relevant here.

But this rule is very clear. You buy a ticket A to B to C and you weren't aware of the B to C leg?
I didn't say it wasn't clear.

But you didn't agree to a subset, did you?
Sure I did. It's kind of inherent.

It's not arbitrary. It's marketing and load management.
Like I said. Arbitrary.

"Load management" is just a euphemism for "complex and opaque profit maximising".

Do I understand it all? No, and I'd say most don't. But if you think the airlines are simply sitting around at a table drinking and saying "How about $400 from A to B?" you're mistaken.
I don't think that at all. Never suggested anything of the sort.

"Arbitrary" is not a synonym for "random".

Last edited by drsmithy; Sep 24, 2014 at 4:38 pm
Old Sep 24, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: Paid F
Originally Posted by rjw242
Faulty analogy. A more appropriate one would be:

You need two bundles of firewood.
Safeway is selling bundles for $5 each or four for $10.
You buy four and throw two away.

Should this be illegal?
^^

The airline should be happy they are getting a dollar from their passengers at all. If they create a loophole and smart people use it to save money, then they should fix their internal systems, not lash out at their customers. How about just charging everyone a flat rate per mile flown? I'll just top up my "UA Account" with 50,000 miles and then fly around the world till the account is all used up. That'd solve the problem and be absolutely equitable to both parties -- fly more, pay more.

The current system is set up by airlines to maximize profit, and the fact that it is highly complex and gives rise to loopholes is ENTIRELY their fault. If they don't like the way THEIR system works, then they can change it.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by xSTRIKEx6864
This is another area where improved consumer protections are needed. There is no "theft" from the airline when you skip a flight.
Slightly OT, but what about theft from airlines? How I don't fly (cause I have a change of plans) and United (or another airline) doesn't refund me my taxes and fees. So, they just keep it up?
Old Sep 24, 2014, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
If you bought a ticket to BWI for $95, went out to the airport, and somehow doctored your BP and sneaked aboard a flight to SYD, sitting undetected in a $7,000 first class seat, that would be theft, wouldn't it? This case is no different. It just happens that in this case the "flight" to the cheap destination and the "flight" to the expensive one are both operated using the same plane.
You don't seem to understand. What is your definition of "theft"? Theft isn't the same as breaking a contract. I don't know anybody who would say that those two are equivalent. Even a stupid jury wouldn't consider that the same.

Your problem is you are equating lost profits to theft. Just because a business loses money doesn't mean the person is a thief. Well, so if a person returns an item, the business loses money. The person is a thief, right?
You may respond that the business had an agreement to allow returns. Well, what if they didn't? Sometimes (at least in Europe) they have to take back faulty products. So, what do you say of that?

Secondly, what right does a business have to control what people do with their product? At least in the tech world, not much. People buy it and do with it what they want. Can you sue them for that? Sure. But not much will come of it.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by s0ssos
You don't seem to understand. What is your definition of "theft"? Theft isn't the same as breaking a contract. I don't know anybody who would say that those two are equivalent. Even a stupid jury wouldn't consider that the same.

Your problem is you are equating lost profits to theft. Just because a business loses money doesn't mean the person is a thief. Well, so if a person returns an item, the business loses money. The person is a thief, right?
You may respond that the business had an agreement to allow returns. Well, what if they didn't? Sometimes (at least in Europe) they have to take back faulty products. So, what do you say of that?

Secondly, what right does a business have to control what people do with their product? At least in the tech world, not much. People buy it and do with it what they want. Can you sue them for that? Sure. But not much will come of it.
I think this is correct.

in the 'doctored boarding pass' scenario you are setting out to take something for which you haven't paid.

in hidden city ticketing you have paid the asking price, just not used the whole of what you have purchased.

the airlines themselves admit there is a NO criminal liability... so there is no fraud, no theft. they are saying it is a breach of contract at worst, and merely unethical at best.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by s0ssos

I'm not defending the airlines' pricing and ticketing policy by any means, and with the consolidation happening in the U.S. perhaps some of those areas need to be addressed as consumers are more and more at the mercy of the oligopoly...and the one-sided contracts of carriage are as onerous as credit card agreements.

But let's at least frame it correctly. You're not buying a product, you're buying a service (transportation). As has been noted numerous times, it's a false analogy to compare it to buying a product and using/consuming it differently. The service is sold based on a particular contract that has terms regarding the pricing basis.

Whether those terms, or those pricing methodologies, are fair, valid, good, or bad, is another matter.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero
But let's at least frame it correctly. You're not buying a product, you're buying a service (transportation). As has been noted numerous times, it's a false analogy to compare it to buying a product and using/consuming it differently. The service is sold based on a particular contract that has terms regarding the pricing basis.
A masseuse charges $60 for half an hour, $100 for an hour and $150 for two hours.

A 90-minute massage would be priced as an hour + half an hour, $160.

I book a two hour massage and leave after 90 minutes.

Has the masseuse lost $10 ? Have I stolen from them ? Or do they now have half an hour of extra free time before their next client arrives ?
Old Sep 25, 2014, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by drsmithy
A masseuse charges $60 for half an hour, $100 for an hour and $150 for two hours.

A 90-minute massage would be priced as an hour + half an hour, $160.

I book a two hour massage and leave after 90 minutes.

Has the masseuse lost $10 ? Have I stolen from them ? Or do they now have half an hour of extra free time before their next client arrives ?
Yes you cost them money as free time is bad, it means they could have booked someone else in that slot. The next time you call them you might have a hard time finding availability.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 11:11 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
in hidden city ticketing you have paid the asking price, just not used the whole of what you have purchased.
Not exactly. As I posted way back in 2011:

Originally Posted by nsx
Here's another analogy: You agree with an attractive girl's dad that you can take her on a date, but only if you also take he unattractive sister on a date afterwards. You decide to renege on your deal after the first date. The father comes after you and beats you up because you are dishonest. He's right, too.

Your desired route is more desirable to others and therefore priced higher. You can get it cheaper as part of package deal including the undesirable location. Should airlines price tickets in such a way that the effective price for the second segment is a large negative number? I don't know. Do they have the right to do so if they want to? Absolutely. Just like the father had a right to make a package deal to get a date for his less attractive daughter.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 11:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by nsx
Not exactly. As I posted way back in 2011:
Probably the best analogy I've read on this!
Old Sep 25, 2014, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I've never heard of a theater trying to prevent patrons from walking out after the first act

The issue arises here: Airlines A, B. Cities X, Y, Z. Airline A has direct X-Y and Y-Z; Airline B has direct X-Z and Z-Y.

Each airline charges $500 for its direct flight. There's plenty of excess capacity Y-Z, in part because both airlines fly it.

In order to compete to the other city from X, each airline charges only $400 for the connection, X-Y-Z (Airline A) or X-Z-Y (Airline B). Obviously, hidden-city ticketing will get a direct flight cheaper. But if it's allowed, what do you think will happen? I think the price of the connection will rise to $500.

Last edited by sethb; Sep 25, 2014 at 11:06 pm Reason: typo
Old Sep 25, 2014, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by ROCAT
Yes you cost them money as free time is bad, it means they could have booked someone else in that slot.
More imaginary money.

The next time you call them you might have a hard time finding availability.
I doubt it. "Would you like to definitely make $150, or maybe make $220" ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.