Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

what to do when airline warned me about numerous throw-away ticketing? ($95 vs $497)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what to do when airline warned me about numerous throw-away ticketing? ($95 vs $497)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2014, 3:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by stifle
It isn't as good as mine, but I'll post it anyway.

Flights from A-B, B-C, and A-C are different products. Even though one can be consumed by consuming the other two, that does not make it separate.

Consider A-C as a bottle of lemonade, A-B as a bag of sugar, and B-C a bag of lemons. You can make lemonade from lemons and sugar. But if you go and pay for a bottle of lemonade in the store and then put it down and go take the lemons and sugar from the shelves, you're breaking the rules.

It is no different in flights. Just because the connection/stopover makes it possible to consume something you didn't buy, doesn't mean the airline's not entitled to come after you to pay for what you actually consumed rather than the cheaper product that you paid for.
A good thought experiment, but I think it suffers from the good vs service problem.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 4:54 am

Programs: QFF WP
Originally Posted by backprop
I said it was bad. But it's what I compare it to when talking hidden city ticketing.
Maybe if you paid the full price and were then refunded the difference after you got off at C, it would be marginally more applicable.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 5:01 am

Flights from A-B, B-C, and A-C are different products.
Not when it's the same plane all the way through it's not.

It's just arbitrary, discriminatory pricing.

The people tying themselves in knots trying to explain why, when a plane flies A-B-C, that the A-B leg is not a subset of the entire trip, are hilarious.

Consider A-C as a bottle of lemonade, A-B as a bag of sugar, and B-C a bag of lemons. You can make lemonade from lemons and sugar. But if you go and pay for a bottle of lemonade in the store and then put it down and go take the lemons and sugar from the shelves, you're breaking the rules.
You're not "breaking the rules", you're taking a completely different product.

A better analogy would be if you bought a bottle of lemonade (A-B), you got a free cup (B-C).

It is no different in flights.
Compared to your analogy ? It's completely different.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by ROCAT
If you are using a good missuses, dentist, doctor, restaurant anyone else that has no problem with bookings they will gladly jettison noshows or people that waste their time.
Please, tell me more about how paying a masseuse the agreed rate for two hours is "wasting their time".

It hardly imaginary money it is an opportunity cost which has been a basic principle of economics for 100 years.
It's completely imaginary money.

Now, when a masseuse tracks their customers' behaviour over time, and figures out what percentage tend to leave at the 90-minute mark of a two-hour massage, and starts (over-)booking additional 30-minute customers into that "empty" half hour slot, that's when the imaginary money starts to become real. But, of course, sometimes they'll get it wrong and piss off some 30-minute customers getting squeezed into those _potential_ openings who subsequeuntly stop coming. That's still an imaginary loss, but it's certainly more real than the 30-minute gap someone leaving early creates that has nothing whatsoever booked into it.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by drsmithy
A better analogy would be if you bought a bottle of lemonade (A-B), you got a free cup (B-C).
There you go again with the irrelevant volume-based analogies. Air travel is not sold by volume.

It's more like: buy a bottle of Franzia, pilfer a bottle of Veuve Cliquot for the Franzia price.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Not when it's the same plane all the way through it's not.

It's just arbitrary, discriminatory pricing.

The people tying themselves in knots trying to explain why, when a plane flies A-B-C, that the A-B leg is not a subset of the entire trip, are hilarious.

You're not "breaking the rules", you're taking a completely different product.
You've started by declaring that your false premise is true. Flying from A-B, A-C, and B-C are different products, which is my precise point.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 7:38 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 12:13 am
Old Sep 27, 2014, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by angatol
The airlines could easily solve this. If there is incidence of hidden city ticketing, charge the maximum cost and provide a rebate afterwards.
That doesn't help people who can't afford to pay the "maximum cost" upfront.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Analogies rarely if ever work on FT. Why people bother, i don't know.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by angatol
The airlines could easily solve this. If there is incidence of hidden city ticketing, charge the maximum cost and provide a rebate afterwards.
And lose all the business to an airline that doesn't do that.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 3:06 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by CDKing
They should be added to a list such as this one
Old Sep 28, 2014, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
There you go again with the irrelevant volume-based analogies. Air travel is not sold by volume.
It has zero to do with volume.

It's one product (lemonade with a cup) where a subset of that product (the lemonade) is all the customer wants.

It's more like: buy a bottle of Franzia, pilfer a bottle of Veuve Cliquot for the Franzia price.
No, it's not, because those are two complete different products, and the bottle of Veuve costs the the vendor more than the bottle of Franzia to put on the shelf.

If your example used a bottle of Veuve, and a cleanskin (unlabelled/unbranded, if that's not a term you're familiar with) bottle of champagne that had Veuve in it, you'd have something more accurate.

Last edited by drsmithy; Sep 28, 2014 at 8:06 am
Old Sep 28, 2014, 7:57 am

You've started by declaring that your false premise is true. Flying from A-B, A-C, and B-C are different products, which is my precise point.
No, they're not. They're arbitrary discriminatory pricing.

Different products are things that are actually different. We are - unless I have grossly misunderstood what hidden city ticketing is - talking about the same plane flying from A to B, then continuing on to C.

Any analogy trying to suggest these things are as different as, say, two different brands of champagne, is simply absurd because of that fundamental inaccuracy (as are the outrageous comparisons to theft when no actual loss occurs). The cognitive dissonance of people trying to argue they are somehow even similar, all to defend a massive corporation's ridiculously opaque pricing model, is staggering.

Last edited by drsmithy; Sep 28, 2014 at 8:07 am
Old Sep 28, 2014, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by CDKing
Some people use analogies to illuminate and educate.

Others use them to obfuscate and confuse.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 10:01 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
It's one product (lemonade with a cup) where a subset of that product (the lemonade) is all the customer wants.
To make the analogy even passably accurate you need to find a situation in which the second part of the product has NEGATIVE MARKET VALUE when added to the first part even if it would have positive market value alone.

A bar charges $6 for vodka, but only $3 for vodka with castor oil. With your best Jack Nicholson grin you order the latter and ask them to hold the castor oil.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.