Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

what to do when airline warned me about numerous throw-away ticketing? ($95 vs $497)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what to do when airline warned me about numerous throw-away ticketing? ($95 vs $497)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:31 pm

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
There is no cost associated with each airline seat. It costs so much to fly a plane, if its full or half full airline's cost is still almost the same. So, they sell it at the maximum they can. If there is no competition on a route they will sell it for maximum people will pay, if there is competition they will sell it for a price comparable with competition. You can buy a product in a cheap market (A-B-C flight $69) and use it in a market with no competition (A-B flight $469). Its like buying a hotel room in Holiday Inn in Las vegas and using it in Holiday Inn in Manhattan. Who cares they are very similar rooms with very similar service. Right? Wrong, market dictates the price. The problem with airlines is enforcement. Might not be worth enforcing it if hand full of people does it. If it spreads out, they will find a way to stop it. Like taking a deposit on the fares with a stop similar to a deposit car rental companies are taking.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:34 pm

On another side I really don't feel its unethical to buy such fare and fly only half of it. You did not promise to fly to the final destination and you did not promise to fly at all when you bought your ticket. So, airlines might be right (for their profits) in trying to eliminate it, but I don't see anything unethical about it. I might be wrong.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:51 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I recently encountered the opposite situation with a National car rental out of Las Vegas. When I booked Day 1 separately from Days 2+3, the daily rate was low for both reservations. If I priced Days 1+2+3 the daily rate increased by $10. I thought that was silly so I phoned National.

They couldn't do anything about it. So I returned the car and re-rented it on Day 2. It was a waste of time by their staff and me, but I was only 2 miles from the airport. Maybe their rate setters for Vegas were gambling (get it?) that I would be farther away.

Situations where separate tickets from A-B and B-C are cheaper than one A-C ticket are rare, but they do occur. Especially when the low fares are due only to competitive price matching. Unlike hidden city travel, buying separate tickets is universally accepted as legitimate.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Binba
I hate that logic too, and when I fly international it can amount to many hundreds of dollars. (Admittedly I've never done it, instead I focus my energy on researching the best integrated multiple-airline or "hacker" fare instead.)

However I think I managed to come up with an analogy that does explain the airlines` perspective: I am a professional photographer, and my daily rate's "list price" is $600. Sometimes I get that rate, sometimes not. Let's say I had a slow month and gave a client a great deal - $300/day - and he prepaid but never showed up. That's fair since he paid... but if he does it 10 times in a row, at some point I'd start wondering if I'm losing revenue and my ability to book higher-paying gigs because of that behavior.

Really, any service or rental analogy would be better than logs of wood since we "rent" that seat and time on the plane, we don't take the seat home (especially with Y chairs, who would want those).

To clarify, I still think the airlines fare system doesn't make sense. For most of us any ticket is always a "promotion" so the logic where more product correlates with a higher price has been long lost. Even renting a 2BR is way cheaper per bedroom than a 1BR, but it's still more than a 1BR rental overall. The market doesn't allow otherwise.
Just imagine that you will allow your clients to switch the day you are working for them to a different day if something happens. And you have one client who is always prepaying $300 rate for a slow day and at the last minute is switching to a day when you have few offers to get $600. He is not violating your agreement at all. How many times will you let it happen to you from the same client?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
I recently encountered the opposite situation with a National car rental out of Las Vegas. When I booked Day 1 separately from Days 2+3, the daily rate was low for both reservations. If I priced Days 1+2+3 the daily rate increased by $10. I thought that was silly so I phoned National.

They couldn't do anything about it. So I returned the car and re-rented it on Day 2. It was a waste of time by their staff and me, but I was only 2 miles from the airport. Maybe their rate setters for Vegas were gambling (get it?) that I would be farther away.

Situations where separate tickets from A-B and B-C are cheaper than one A-C ticket are rare, but they do occur. Especially when the low fares are due only to competitive price matching. Unlike hidden city travel, buying separate tickets is universally accepted as legitimate.
Often weekend rate for a car for 3 days plus regular rate for 3 business day will be cheaper then weekly rate for 6 or 7 days.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 7:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by nsx

You are right of course, but airlines don't like it, and threaten consequences like losing your luggage (i.e. you have to personally follow and re-check).
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:33 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by lg10
You are right of course, but airlines don't like it, and threaten consequences like losing your luggage (i.e. you have to personally follow and re-check).
Southwest is happy to check your luggage all the way through on request. I'm surprised other airlines would refuse, since it should save them money to avoid re-checking.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:36 am
Suspended

could use some regulation on this issue. [Edited by Moderator] bean counters.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Sep 18, 2014 at 10:11 am Reason: Edited Per FT Rules which disallow profane, etc. language.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by nsx
Southwest is happy to check your luggage all the way through on request. I'm surprised other airlines would refuse, since it should save them money to avoid re-checking.
One of the many reasons I love Southwest. But they're not always an option for my routes.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by al613
On another side I really don't feel its unethical to buy such fare and fly only half of it. You did not promise to fly to the final destination and you did not promise to fly at all when you bought your ticket. So, airlines might be right (for their profits) in trying to eliminate it, but I don't see anything unethical about it. I might be wrong.
I think you are wrong. The contract that you agree to when buying a ticket says you will not do this.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by channa
I think you are wrong. The contract that you agree to when buying a ticket says you will not do this.
^^ And keep in mind that there are reasons for this kind of fare structure. Plane loading, incentives, trying to fill seats on unpopular routes, etc.

View it this way, they have a price for a flight. They give you a discount if you accept a specific route. You accept, then you renege.

Yes, that's an ethics issue.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
If you take the time to read the COC you will see that in fact you DID agree to fly all the segments.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Not flying at all (i.e., not even beginning the trip) is a separate matter from throwaway ticketing and hidden city ticketing.

The contract of carriage doesn't impose any penalty for not even beginning your trip (aside from any inherent penalty such as losing any non-refundable ticket costs, paying change fees, etc).

Whereas the contract of carriage will typically stipulate that you're agreeing to penalties or remedies if you engage in throwaway or hidden city ticketing. As channa noted, by purchasing the ticket you're entering into that contract and agreeing to be bound by those terms. So you are breaking your contractual promise by doing either of those things.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
^^ And keep in mind that there are reasons for this kind of fare structure. Plane loading, incentives, trying to fill seats on unpopular routes, etc.

View it this way, they have a price for a flight. They give you a discount if you accept a specific route. You accept, then you renege.
True, but the concept is so unfamiliar in any other transaction anywhere else. Say a store has Buy 2 Get 2 Free, but you really want only 3. With 3 you pay for 3, but 4 you pay for 2, so it's cheaper to buy 4 and throw 1 out. The store is not going to come after you for leaving one behind or throwing the fourth one out in the trashcan right outside the store.

The only reason airlines do this is because they set fares by market and there is no regulation on the matter.

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Yes, that's an ethics issue.
I believe the EU ruled that hidden city ticketing cannot be enforced. If we had something like that, it would put the ethics debate to bed.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:45 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by channa
True, but the concept is so unfamiliar in any other transaction anywhere else.
Unfamiliar but easily understood unless one prefers not to understand.

It's price discrimination: charging more for what is worth more, regardless of cost. That's an accepted business practice everywhere, older than discount matinee showings at the movie theater.

Imagine a store selling T-shirts. White ones cost the most. Lime green ones are the cheapest. If you buy a lime green shirt they hand you a white shirt and a packet of lime green dye which you have to promise to use to dye the shirt.

Is price decoupled from cost? Yes. Is this a silly way to sell shirts? Yes. Are you breaking your agreement if don't use the dye and keep the white shirt at the lower price? Yes.

These are the 3 questions addressed here. Some people conflate them inadvertently; others do so intentionally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.