Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

what to do when airline warned me about numerous throw-away ticketing? ($95 vs $497)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what to do when airline warned me about numerous throw-away ticketing? ($95 vs $497)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This isn't about ethics, it's about either agreeing to a contract or not. Nobody can force anyone to fly any given segment. The question is what the fare ought to be. People here aren't concerned about cancelling a segment, they don't want to cancel and pay more.

For those who want to go back to the bad old days of airline regulation where the government approved all airfares, bear in mind that in today's dollars, it is a heck of a lot cheaper to fly today than it was back in the early 1980's and before. Be careful what you wish for.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by channa
True, but the concept is so unfamiliar in any other transaction anywhere else. Say a store has Buy 2 Get 2 Free, but you really want only 3. With 3 you pay for 3, but 4 you pay for 2, so it's cheaper to buy 4 and throw 1 out. The store is not going to come after you for leaving one behind or throwing the fourth one out in the trashcan right outside the store.
Actually, by law they are required to throw the extra one away because they don't own it and can't resell it.

The only reason airlines do this is because they set fares by market and there is no regulation on the matter.
Pretty much true, and I don't think we want government regulation.

Originally Posted by Often1
This isn't about ethics,
Yes it is.

.. it's about either agreeing to a contract or not.
And if you agree to the contract and violate the terms, that's about ethics.

The question is what the fare ought to be.
No, the question is about what the fare *is*. If you don't think the fare is what it should be, don't buy it. If you buy it and agree to the contract, honor your side of the agreement.

For those who want to go back to the bad old days of airline regulation where the government approved all airfares, bear in mind that in today's dollars, it is a heck of a lot cheaper to fly today than it was back in the early 1980's and before. Be careful what you wish for.
^ Amen to that.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 12:07 pm

I don't see it as an ethics issue, I see it as a "they are screwing you as much as they can get away with, so you screw them as much as you can get away with" issue. Obviously if they start telling you to stop the practice you've reached the limit of what you can get away with..
Old Sep 18, 2014, 12:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Lots of talk of free-market concepts and the state of regulation of the industry (do we want more or less, etc.). My only struggle with some of those traditional arguments is that the airline industry in the U.S. has effectively become an uncompetitive, price-setting cartel, with that status firmly empowered by a complicit DoJ.

So while the government doesn't regulate or set the fares, it has certainly enabled a decrease in competition that lets the airlines set them themselves and effectively move them in lockstep with each other. True on fares and also true on many of the underlying policies about garbage fees and the like.

So for that reason, plus the fact that airlines generally treat their customers like crap across the board, I have a hard time blaming anyone for a hidden-city ticket. If that's your one little way of sticking it to The Man, good for you... If we want to delve into ethics, there are hundreds of places we could do so within the client relationship between an airline and a traveler that *don't* involve the traveler trying to slip through a fare loophole.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
I don't see it as an ethics issue, I see it as a "they are screwing you as much as they can get away with, so you screw them as much as you can get away with" issue. Obviously if they start telling you to stop the practice you've reached the limit of what you can get away with..
Oh my. By extension this means that if you think a store is charging you too much something its OK to steal it? Same thing.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
By COC do you agree to fly at all or to fly all segments or you just agree to the penalties if you don't fly the whole thing or certain segments? I doubt any court will enforce you to fly any segments you don't want. They might however agree on penalties for not flying if you sign such a contract. The question is if you agree to these penalties and the penalties are not actually coming, should you offer extra money to the airline on your own?

Sometimes its cheaper to park illegally and to pay a ticket (if you get it) then to pay for parking. Is it unethical?
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Not flying at all (i.e., not even beginning the trip) is a separate matter from throwaway ticketing and hidden city ticketing.

The contract of carriage doesn't impose any penalty for not even beginning your trip (aside from any inherent penalty such as losing any non-refundable ticket costs, paying change fees, etc).

Whereas the contract of carriage will typically stipulate that you're agreeing to penalties or remedies if you engage in throwaway or hidden city ticketing. As channa noted, by purchasing the ticket you're entering into that contract and agreeing to be bound by those terms. So you are breaking your contractual promise by doing either of those things.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by milepig
Oh my. By extension this means that if you think a store is charging you too much something its OK to steal it? Same thing.
No, back to my Buy 2 Get 2 free example, if you did that, and walked out of the store with 3 and left 1 behind in your cart, are you stealing since you paid for 4 (less), not 3 (more)?

The difference is at the store, you didn't click an agreement to some lengthy T&Cs that require you to take all 4.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:16 pm

Here's a question/thought experiment: if I buy a ticket A-B-C and only fly the A-B leg, the airlines get upset. But how is this different from buying the same ticket and not flying on that ticket at all (which the airlines don't care about)? Either way, the airline got the money for the purchase. Why is using all of the purchase OK, and using none of the purchase OK, but using only part of the purchase is not?
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:23 pm

-----

Last edited by ROCAT; Mar 29, 2017 at 7:58 pm
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by al613
Just imagine that you will allow your clients to switch the day you are working for them to a different day if something happens. And you have one client who is always prepaying $300 rate for a slow day and at the last minute is switching to a day when you have few offers to get $600. He is not violating your agreement at all. How many times will you let it happen to you from the same client?
What does that have to do with hidden-city?

Suppose you charge $100/hour, but for some slow days you charge only $300/day. A client hires you for next Thursday at $300, which you agree to. He has you work from 8 AM to noon, then tells you he doesn't need you for the afternoon. Did he steal $100 from you?
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by milepig
Like airlines themselves do, I consider this industry to be quite exempt from the standard practices of normal business.

I'd like to see another industry try to argue that taking *less* than you paid for is theft.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The difference is at the store, you didn't click an agreement to some lengthy T&Cs that require you to take all 4.
And that is a huge difference!
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:50 pm

Think about it as a time-share presentation deal. The time-share company sells you a pair of tickets to Disney World for $15 if you agree to spend 2 hours at one of their presentations listening to their marketing material.

Obviously they wouldn't let you just "throw away" the free presentation and keep the Disney tickets.

They are only selling you the tickets for $15 because you agreed to do something THEY wanted you to do.

Similarly for plane tickets, the airline sold you a package deal you either agree to it or you don't. But they wouldn't let you stop at your transit airport in disney world, and throw away your promise to show up at your final destination - because that's the part they wanted. If they wanted to send you to Disney world, they'd have charged you more.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:27 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
No, back to my Buy 2 Get 2 free example, if you did that, and walked out of the store with 3 and left 1 behind in your cart, are you stealing since you paid for 4 (less), not 3 (more)?
You are if that 4th one diminishes the value of the other 3. Try this with my T-shirt example. The crucial fact you evade is that the last segment DECREASES THE MARKET VALUE of the trip. None of the analogies to physical items has this characteristic except my T-shirt example.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
Like airlines themselves do, I consider this industry to be quite exempt from the standard practices of normal business.

I'd like to see another industry try to argue that taking *less* than you paid for is theft.
Except the whole thing is moot. When would click "purchase" you agree to their terms. If you don't like them the option is to not complete the purchase rather than to complete the purchase and violate them. You've voluntarily entered into an agreement you have no intention of keeping. That's unethical. Whether or not you can come up with a single other example of a similar situation doesn't matter. They set the terms and when you click purchase you agree to them. Period.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.