Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Hidden City still explicitly allowed?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2011, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards
Is Hidden City still explicitly allowed?

It is a common statement here on FT that Southwest "explicitly allows" Hidden City bookings. In fact, the Wiki even claims:
In case you were worried about getting caught breaking the rules, read this. The Customer Service Commitment document posted at southwest.com states "SWA does not prohibit or penalize what is commonly known as 'hidden city' ticketing, nor does it prohibit or penalize what is commonly known as 'back to back' ticketing. 'Hidden city' and 'back to back' reservations and tickets are authorized for travel on SWA." The two-step and similar variants are perfectly OK to 'fess up to on Southwest.
The problem is, the CSC does not, in fact, say that. In fact, the word "hidden" does not appear in either the CSC: http://www.southwest.com/assets/pdfs...commitment.pdf
nor the Contract of Carriage:
http://www.southwest.com/assets/pdfs...f-carriage.pdf

Can anyone find a reference in either of these two documents to the practice of Hidden City booking that doesn't actually refer to it as Hidden City booking? If not, I think it's time to stop claiming that it's explicitly allowed, and prepare for the moment when they decide to start making it disallowed.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 6:18 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
It absolutely was in the Customer Service Commitment, but you seem to be correct, it no longer is. It would seem that once again WN has quietly made a policy change without telling anyone.

While the Contract of Carriage is archived on the 'wayback machine', the customer service commitment does not seem to be, so I can't find when they made this change.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
A Google search for the phrase "hidden city" on southwest.com turns up nothing.

Interesting. It just keeps getting worse, doesn't it?

By the way, Google search on a specific site is one of the most useful search techniques I know, and simple. In the present case, enter this into Google:

"hidden city" site:southwest.com
Old Oct 17, 2011, 7:49 pm

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
Smells to me like another few degrees bump in the frog pot.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 8:36 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
paging ftnoob, or anyone who might have an old copy of the customer service committment or contract of carriage PDF....
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:29 pm

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
Knew this was happening sometime ago. It's getting harder and harder to even book hidden city tix. They've gotten better at closing the schedule to prohibit this trick. This is no accident.

I do have a couple hidden city tix booked and will report back after I've flown them as to how they post. Still a few months out.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:21 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Web site reorganizations make it trickier to find stuff in the WayBackMachine, but it does have some copies of the old CSCs explicitly allowing hidden city bookings. I didn't do an exhaustive search, but here is one example from 14-Dec-2005 (pdf).

With respect to all of our fares, Southwest Airlines does not prohibit or penalize what is
commonly known as “hidden city” ticketing, nor does it prohibit or penalize what is
commonly known as “back to back” ticketing. “Hidden city” and “back to back”
reservations and tickets are authorized for travel on Southwest Airlines. It is important to
note that your luggage will be checked to the final destination shown on your ticket.
Should you choose to deplane at a stopover or connection point, you will be responsible
for making arrangements to have your luggage delivered to you. Southwest will not
entertain a lost or delayed baggage claim or interim expenses in this circumstance
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:45 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

And here is the 10-10-10 version, which also includes the language explicitly allowing hidden city and back-to-back ticketing.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 11:16 pm

Appreciate everyone contributing! I will use my hidden city ticket purchased with points and ask the WN rep at the initial boarding gate to delete my second leg. The next day I fly WN out of the hidden city. Regarding the legacy carriers you are frequently advised to book with a different carrier when flying back out of your hidden city destination from the previous flight in. Based on everything that has been shared here, WN's COC does not expressly prohibit hidden city bookings (the only major airline that hasn't) though WN no longer explicated condones them. So my flying out of the hidden city on WN the next day shouldn't be an issue for them.

Last edited by Captain ZZ; Sep 2, 2013 at 11:42 pm
Old Sep 3, 2013, 5:10 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Captain ZZ
Appreciate everyone contributing! I will use my hidden city ticket purchased with points and ask the WN rep at the initial boarding gate to delete my second leg. The next day I fly WN out of the hidden city. Regarding the legacy carriers you are frequently advised to book with a different carrier when flying back out of your hidden city destination from the previous flight in. Based on everything that has been shared here, WN's COC does not expressly prohibit hidden city bookings (the only major airline that hasn't) though WN no longer explicated condones them. So my flying out of the hidden city on WN the next day shouldn't be an issue for them.
Hidden city is only allowed for proletariats. Make sure you qualify and are carrying your proletariat card.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Hidden city is only allowed for proletariats. Make sure you qualify and are carrying your proletariat card.
As a card-carrying proletariat I am all good to go.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 5:32 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Apr 2016 Res Says Hidden City is Harder

I found this thread just now because I want to fly from WAS to PWM tomorrow. It turns out if you book ISP/BWI/PWM on WN its about $150, but nonstops from WAS area to PWM are closer to $250.

I called WN and asked if they could delete a segment out of the PNR, and they said no.

They said that it used to be allowed not to board your 2nd connecting flight but if you did this on an RT the return would be cancelled.

If I don't board at ISP I imagine the system would cancel the downline space from BWI to PWM. Then I would have a 50 50 chance that the BWI station would just reinstate the ticket.

I am pretty risk tollerant with travel and I have really good luck with these sorts of things, but it might not be worth saving $100. Also another issue is with the change in WN no show policy technically by missing the flight in ISP my ticket would be voided out by WN's no show policy.

I still have an idea of a way to try this, but I figured I would report the data point.

I don't know back in the good old days when WN allowed hidden city if in this scenario they would have deleted the ISP to BWI segment upon request? I ask because usually in a hidden city scenario you are actually flying the first flight and not the 2nd like in this example.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 5:52 am

Programs: LTP, PP
If I read this right (what is WAS), it ain't gonna work and you will lose all funds. Hidden city is when you board the first leg then get off at a stop. Sorry.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 6:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by joshua362
If I read this right (what is WAS), it ain't gonna work and you will lose all funds. Hidden city is when you board the first leg then get off at a stop. Sorry.
WAS is all Washington, DC airports. Thinks similarly for: NYC, CHI, etc.

The poster to which you replied is trying to skip the first leg of a ticket (which is not HCT) instead of the last leg(s) (which is HCT) and it will not work. The poster could try HCT on the way back from PWM, though, if the price is right.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 9:12 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by jetsetter
They said that it used to be allowed not to board your 2nd connecting flight but if you did this on an RT the return would be cancelled.
I cannot recall WN's HCT policy ever working in this manner. As with other companies, it works with flying the first leg of a trip and skipping the rest of segments to obtain a cheaper fare.

In the past you could recover value from the ticket by not boarding at ISP. This plan does not fit the profile of HCT, so it would surely leave you at BWI with a worthless boarding pass. The "no-show" policy is the trigger that foils this plan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.