F passengers need to learn how to use overhead bins

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F passengers need to learn how to use overhead bins

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2010, 5:36 am

Programs: DL PM
A number of people seem to see no problem putting their rollerboard in sideways if it is "legal" sized but doesn't fit wheels or handles first, because hey- they followed the rules and apparently that's all that matters. But I'd be willing to bet that many of those same people would be among the first to complain if they happened to board a flight where a bunch of people had that problem and they weren't able to find space for their bag because the bins were already full of other legally sized, sideways rollerboards.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 6:08 am

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by DevilDog438
Amen...it is not my fault that my 20" TravelPro fits cleanly in the "SizeWise" container, but has to go sideways if placed in certain bins on certain aircraft.
Originally Posted by tgtg
I agree with everything but that. A 22x14x9 does not fit in wheels or handles first in F of many DL planes. That is a legal carry-on. DL should fix the bins or change their regs.

-=tg=-
A bag that fits into the sizer is OK by Delta, and that trumps everyone else's opinion here. My camera carryon, is a Porter case. less than 22 x 14x 9 inches. including the wheels , but it is entirely hard sided and the rigidity of the case is the difference between the megabags that some bring on that will fit, an mine that will fit in most but not all bins (except put sideways).

My bag will be up in the overhead, and sometimes will be sideways, but that is only because of the shape of the bin that DL has in their plane. There is always space on top of it, and my personal item is always at my feet (which are not on the wall!).
Old Sep 30, 2010, 6:14 am
Suspended

This thread has made one thing clear: Courtesy has nothing to do with what type of luggage you have and how it fits in the overhead.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 6:25 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by ncwillett
A number of people seem to see no problem putting their rollerboard in sideways if it is "legal" sized but doesn't fit wheels or handles first, because hey- they followed the rules and apparently that's all that matters. But I'd be willing to bet that many of those same people would be among the first to complain if they happened to board a flight where a bunch of people had that problem and they weren't able to find space for their bag because the bins were already full of other legally sized, sideways rollerboards.
No, the issue is that in the forward section of F in many DL a/c the legal bags to not fit wheels/handles first. They do in the rest of the plane (with MD exceptions on one side and 767s where nothing seems to fit).

Generally, this is in F at the bulkhead. In that case my rollerboard goes in sideways and my computer case goes between it and the bin door. I take up no more room than if the bag went in wheels/handles first with my computer bag next to it.

Most of the time my bag does fit in wheels/handle first and my computer bag goes under my feet.

Let's start another tiff...how about the FAs taking up the overhead in F???

-=tg=-
Old Sep 30, 2010, 6:46 am

Programs: AA Gold, DL FO, HH Diamond
Let's start another tiff...how about the FAs taking up the overhead in F???
+100!!! OOOOH, that gets my goat.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 6:50 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by ncwillett
Actually, you really have me going here. The only rule is that it is of legal size. It is a request/courtesy that they go in wheels/handles first - if they can.

-=tg=-
Old Sep 30, 2010, 7:00 am

Programs: NW Plat, Hilton, Avis
Originally Posted by gsupstate
A little OT, .... it really is infuriating and extremely saddening to see people with their feet on the wall in front of them.... In FC.
Agreed. Most F passengers would prefer to see more class. Feet on the wall is gauche.

And about the bin space ....
Originally Posted by secretsea18
but that is only because of the shape of the bin that DL has in their plane. .
Fellow travellers seem surprised when my "big looking" rollabord fits in the bin handle in - wheels out and their smaller bag cannot do the same. The trick: I got a rollaboard which has a slight curve on the front top (top of the bag is narrower than the bottom.) Fits nicely into the curve of the fuselage by at least two inches.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, Priority Club Platinum Elite
Actually, you really have me going here. The only rule is that it is of legal size. It is a request/courtesy that they go in wheels/handles first - if they can.

-=tg=-
Here's another request/courtesy, if you plan to bring the biggest allowable rollerboard on board with you, then plan to put your laptop back and or coat, newspapers, purchased items, McDonalds or whatever under the seat in front of you. The original point of this thread is that people in F have NO clue when it comes to using overhead bin space effectively. The crazy gate life, stake my claim mentality needs to change, especially with the elite travel group at DL. Let's separate ourselves from the masses by what we bring on board and how we pack the bins.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 7:19 am

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by dollerman73
Here's another request/courtesy, if you plan to bring the biggest allowable rollerboard on board with you, then plan to put your laptop back and or coat, newspapers, purchased items, McDonalds or whatever under the seat in front of you. The original point of this thread is that people in F have NO clue when it comes to using overhead bin space effectively. The crazy gate life, stake my claim mentality needs to change, especially with the elite travel group at DL. Let's separate ourselves from the masses by what we bring on board and how we pack the bins.
Exactly. If your bag fits in the sizewise but only fits in the overhead sideways, then perhaps common courtesy would dictate that the Laptop bag go under the seat in front of you.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 7:28 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by dollerman73
... then plan to put your laptop back and or coat, newspapers, purchased items, McDonalds or whatever under the seat in front of you....
Or leave the McD's off the plane. My personal pet peeve here are people who bring food onto the plane that makes the cabin stink. A McD's sack makes the cabin smell like a fry house. Worse yet - Popeye's. Why can't people, of they absolutely have to bring food onto a plane, stick to cold sandwiches or other food that doesn't make everything smell???

In the greatest of all possible worlds, people could live an hour, two or three without food. I understand sometimes you get off a four hour flight, have ten minutes to get on your next flight, and need to grab and go. I understand you barely made it to the airport and are getting on a three hour flight and were lucky you even had time to get anything. But please, choose Panera instead of KFC.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 7:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by j_mee
Good timing with this thread. On a recent PDX-ATL flight, my seatmate warned me when I was putting my bag in the overhead not to touch his bag as he had a valuable laptop. I gave him a dirty look and slide his bag over. He proceeded to admonish other passengers trying to use the overhead.

Upon deplaning, my co-worker (there were 7 of us in F) was removing his bag from the overhead bin when the man flipped out again. This time, my co-worker lost his patience and told the man to STFU, unless he wanted to get F-ing punched in his mouth. This elicited cat calls from other co-workers to "do it, do it, I'll help you."
What a classy and courteous bunch your group is.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 7:38 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
What a classy and courteous bunch your group is.
+1
Old Sep 30, 2010, 7:40 am

I never said they were classy. They are actually a rough crowd that I wouldn't even hang around if I didn't have to, however, the company only flies us on Full Y, so that means most of the time they are in F.

And I wasn't be sarcastic. A plane is public mode of transporation and the overhead bins are for all passenger's use. If you have something so valuable that it shouldn't be touched or moved, don't put it in the overhead bin. Did he really expect his laptop bag to be the only bag in the overhead bin? Because he did close the bin after putting his bag in it.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 7:57 am
In Memoriam

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Any bag that fits in the sizer as he states will fit nose first 90 percent of the time. It's odd situations like the very front of a 737 or some 757s where the curvature shortens the bin a bit that can throw it off.

And with at the gate upgrades not a lot of choice if you're put in one of the very first seats. Call it rude, greedy, whatever but not every sideways roller bag is a middle finger directed at fellow pax.
Thank you. My 22" fits fine in the 757/764/rear of 737, etc. I do have to turn it sideways when up front on the 737. Not going to buy a new bag, as I generally avoid the 737, when possible. That said, if it doesn't fit wheels/handle-first in a 757, it's probably time for a new bag. However, when it comes time to get a new bag, I do plan to get one which is slightly smaller to avoid the issue on the 37s.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 8:03 am

Programs: DL PM, CO Silver
You'd have loved the guy I had a few months ago in the bulkhead. He was working the AV touchscreen with his bare feet. I actually mentioned it to the FA, who said she would disinfect it after.

Originally Posted by mikelevitt
I've seen bare feet on the bulkhead in row 1 TWICE THIS WEEK. It is foul and disgusting. The WORST. One guy was putting his thick fungusy toenails in the pouch that holds the mags, on the mags, etc. I wanted to barf.

Seriously people. Keep your nasty feet on the floor. NOBODY WANTS TO SEE THEM - SOCKS, SHOES, OR BAREFOOT!!! (apologies to foot fetishists!) And your grandma would yell at you if she knew you were doing it.

Have some respect for your fellow passengers! That goes for your bin usage too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.