Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F passengers need to learn how to use overhead bins

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2010, 4:44 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dd992emo
Thank you all for this thread, which gives me still another opportunity to say, "Remove all overhead bins from aircraft!!!"

Planes will load and unload faster. FTers won't have to verbally snipe at each other, though I'm sure we can find other uncommon ground. Less stress all around.

This won't, however, alleviate the nasty feet problem in FC...
This is the most sensible comment I have seen on FT in a long time.

I travel in the States about once a year and every time I am amused at the bizarre circus involved in trying to carry on as much as possible and then stuff it all in the overhead locker. Tension levels rise to McEnroe line-call levels on boarding if a bag is challenged: "Sir that bag has to be checked." "You have to be joking. I cant believe it." " I want the flight referee here right now." ( I realise airlines are concerned about contributing to the rise of bag seperation syndrome.)

The ritual on board is that the poor FA's spend time like those men at Japanese railway stations pushing and shoving to get everything in the overhead which remarkably demonstrates the properties of a black hole. Every thing goes in but will it come back out? Or are bags being pushed through a trap door in the fuslelage ending up on the tarac below.

I am yet to see an american aircraft that is not stuffed to the gills and often wonder if they ever turn turtle as a result as the hold must be totally devoid of luggage. Of course my solitary bag down there is not being pressure tested like those above me so all my goods and chattels arrive in pristine condition and often are waiting for me on the belt.

Getting rid of the overheads would mean a much quicker security clearance, swifter boarding, less aggro on board and much more pleasant flight.

I like those flights where you walk out to the plane and your carry on is tagged then put in the back of the plane far more civilised. Of course this proceedure does create bag seperation syndrome.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 6:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by walter82
This is the most sensible comment I have seen on FT in a long time.

I travel in the States about once a year and every time I am amused at the bizarre circus involved in trying to carry on as much as possible and then stuff it all in the overhead locker. Tension levels rise to McEnroe line-call levels on boarding if a bag is challenged: "Sir that bag has to be checked." "You have to be joking. I cant believe it." " I want the flight referee here right now." ( I realise airlines are concerned about contributing to the rise of bag seperation syndrome.)

The ritual on board is that the poor FA's spend time like those men at Japanese railway stations pushing and shoving to get everything in the overhead which remarkably demonstrates the properties of a black hole. Every thing goes in but will it come back out? Or are bags being pushed through a trap door in the fuslelage ending up on the tarac below.

I am yet to see an american aircraft that is not stuffed to the gills and often wonder if they ever turn turtle as a result as the hold must be totally devoid of luggage. Of course my solitary bag down there is not being pressure tested like those above me so all my goods and chattels arrive in pristine condition and often are waiting for me on the belt.

Getting rid of the overheads would mean a much quicker security clearance, swifter boarding, less aggro on board and much more pleasant flight.

I like those flights where you walk out to the plane and your carry on is tagged then put in the back of the plane far more civilised. Of course this proceedure does create bag seperation syndrome.
Actually, I couldn't disagree more. The entire global commercial aviation structure is highly dependent on having enough high yield business travelers to subsidize price sensitive discretionary travelers.

Yet what has happened is that travel is more difficult than ever, with more delays, less services, more extra charges, more rules to follow, more restrictions. Eliminating carry ons so business travelers have to arrive at the airport earlier and stay longer to collect bags makes business travel more inconvenient. At the same time technology is finally making virtual meeting a more realistic option.

Perhaps the future should be carry-ons are only permitted for Elite Members and travelers in premium cabins or high Y fares. This would reduce carry-ons to some degree while not further inconveniencing the backbone of industry revenue.

Railroads and ship lines found out the hard way that they had less control over their market than they thought they did. Airlines would do well to be thinking a bit broader on making the business traveler experience better than worse. Making business travelers check their bags every time is definitely not a good move IMO.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by BamaGirl
Or, that the Hartmann 22" roller that DL offered as a gift to MMers, which fits the SizeWise, will only fit sideways in certain bins on certain aircraft.
Got one, Amen.

Originally Posted by dollerman73
I agree completely! DL should change their regs, and should gate check anything that doesn't fit appropriately. Don't even ask questions, if it doesn't fit, you must acquit complaining and gate check that thing... Sorry it's really late here...
They can't do that...at least under the current setup. They don't have the manpower to handle that many checked bags and I have been inside a cargo hold of a 738 and there isn't as much space in there as you might think.

Originally Posted by mikelevitt
Think of it like this. Would your GRANDMOTHER think it was appropriate to put your feet on the wall of a public space? What about your MOTHER?
My paternal grandmother was the prim and proper sort. But, if I were to be at her house for several hours and confined to a seat two feet from a wall, yes my feet might end up on said wall.
Originally Posted by ncwillett
A number of people seem to see no problem putting their rollerboard in sideways if it is "legal" sized but doesn't fit wheels or handles first, because hey- they followed the rules and apparently that's all that matters. But I'd be willing to bet that many of those same people would be among the first to complain if they happened to board a flight where a bunch of people had that problem and they weren't able to find space for their bag because the bins were already full of other legally sized, sideways rollerboards.
So, exactly what are you supposed to do. Know the exact dimensions of each aircraft type before you board?

Originally Posted by secretsea18
A bag that fits into the sizer is OK by Delta, and that trumps everyone else's opinion here.
Correct.
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Or leave the McD's off the plane. My personal pet peeve here are people who bring food onto the plane that makes the cabin stink. A McD's sack makes the cabin smell like a fry house. Worse yet - Popeye's. Why can't people, of they absolutely have to bring food onto a plane, stick to cold sandwiches or other food that doesn't make everything smell???

In the greatest of all possible worlds, people could live an hour, two or three without food. I understand sometimes you get off a four hour flight, have ten minutes to get on your next flight, and need to grab and go. I understand you barely made it to the airport and are getting on a three hour flight and were lucky you even had time to get anything. But please, choose Panera instead of KFC.
I am sorry that KFC was closer to my gate than Panera was. Or I like KFC better than Panera. Fortunately, I get to judge what I want to eat and don't have to ask for your approval.
Thank you all for this thread, which gives me still another opportunity to say, "Remove all overhead bins from aircraft!!!"

Planes will load and unload faster. FTers won't have to verbally snipe at each other, though I'm sure we can find other uncommon ground. Less stress all around.
No, it's not less stress all the way around. How many hours a year do I save by not checking bags? Just the other day, I had a flight cancellation in DTW. A coworker started at a different origination point but we were on the same canceled flight. He checked bags, and it was going to be a pain in the ... to get them back, until he told them he would live without it for the night and pick it up at his final destination.
Originally Posted by jeff30189
1. If your size-wise approved bag wont fit 'wheels out', then there's no alternative other than putting it sideways so I dont see that as "rude". Its a bin configuration issue, not an ignorant passenger issue. However, regardless of bin shape, the second carry-on item should go under the seat in front of you unless you are sitting in the bulkhead. Period. End of subject.
I am going to buck the trend here. I put my suitcase in the overhead bin...and wheels out if at all possible. 95% of the time, my laptop case will go under my seat. BUT, there are some seating arrangements that only allow for one descent size bag in the center section of the seats in front of you. The space on the right and left are too small. If my seatmate already has his in the center, then sometimes mine will have to be in the overhead bin too.
Maybe the alternative to overhead bin removal (which I still advocate) would be to divide the overheads into "cubbies", each labeled with a seat #. By virtue of our behavior here on FT, many of us are already accustomed to a kindergarten-like atmosphere.
This won't work. Lots of people have pretty small stuff in the overhead bin and you can use the rob Peter to pay Paul principle to make a lot more stuff fit.

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Yet what has happened is that travel is more difficult than ever, with more delays, less services, more extra charges, more rules to follow, more restrictions. Eliminating carry ons so business travelers have to arrive at the airport earlier and stay longer to collect bags makes business travel more inconvenient.
This is correct. Airlines are already losing passengers due to the hassle factor. Add more hassle, lose more passengers.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 11:23 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Exclamation Thread Alert

While the topic may have originated from an occurrence on a Delta Air Lines flight, the topic is general in nature.

The new home is the TravelBuzz! forum, where I suspect FlyerTalk members who are members of frequent flier loyalty programs of airlines will post similar experiences here.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta SkyMiles forum
Old Sep 30, 2010, 11:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
This topic is better then TV or reading the paper. Great stuff here Mater.

Actually, F bins get filled rather quickly, wouldnt you say? If your last on board and sitting in coach, chances are your luggage isnt going to be anywhere near your seat.

I actually feel the need, even while sitting in F, to try and board first. Unbelievable, isnt it, that I have to leave the lounge just before boarding time so that I have a place for my luggage in F. I'd much rather wait until the last minute to board but then where do I put my poor luggage?
Old Oct 1, 2010, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dhamal
I announced if anyone left their bags above my seat, I received no responses.. oh well.. FA may have had them gate checked, i really don't care.. if not under the seat row, your bags don't belong there..
You're just dead wrong. The bin space above your seat does not belong to you -- what about the person seated next to you?

On second thought, I believe that space in all cases legally belongs to your seatmate. Any passenger is thus free to toss Dhamal's bag completely off the plane. Make it splat.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 3:42 am

Programs: Delta, KLM, Luftansa
This is not directed to any particular post or poster in this thread.

This forum has more dysfunctionals than any forum I have ever visited, save one. There, members could spend hundreds of pages discussing the use of 'pepperoni' when used in Czech Republic to describe green peppers on a pizza as opposed to the more common use of the word. Most significantly, there is no flying related issue too insignificant to debate.

The entertainment value is nearly endless and I love it!

Thank you all so very much!

Last edited by Justruss; Oct 1, 2010 at 3:51 am
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:53 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Originally Posted by Justruss
This is not directed to any particular post or poster in this thread.

This forum has more dysfunctionals than any forum I have ever visited, save one. There, members could spend hundreds of pages discussing the use of 'pepperoni' when used in Czech Republic to describe green peppers on a pizza as opposed to the more common use of the word. Most significantly, there is no flying related issue too insignificant to debate.

The entertainment value is nearly endless and I love it!

Thank you all so very much!
It has been my experience that FTers do try to entertain as well as educate...
Old Oct 1, 2010, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, Priority Club Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Justruss
Most significantly, there is no flying related issue too insignificant to debate.
Overhead bin misuse is far from insignificant, especially when it's perpetrated by elite fliers. This issue has been swept under the rug for way too long!
Old Oct 1, 2010, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dollerman73
Was on DL LAX-SLC yesterday and arrived to find all F overhead bins closed when I opened them I found jackets, rollerboards in sideways and laptop bags face down. You would expect pax in F to be better users of bin space. I started moving some stuff around to make room for my carry on and the FA comes over to help, and the "gentlemen" seated in F, yells "Don't touch my stuff!"

Expect your stuff to be moved if you pack the bins like a moron! Thanks to the great FA who repacked the entire F cabin for my and another F pax luggage, above and beyond.

Also, IMHO if you bring on a rollerboard that doesn't fit wheels or handles first you should have that bag checked!!!
^
Old Oct 2, 2010, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, Priority Club Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Canarsie
While the topic may have originated from an occurrence on a Delta Air Lines flight, the topic is general in nature.

The new home is the TravelBuzz! forum, where I suspect FlyerTalk members who are members of frequent flier loyalty programs of airlines will post similar experiences here.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta SkyMiles forum
Thanks Canarsie for moving this thread to TravelBuzz... Where all good threads go to DIE!
Old Oct 2, 2010, 3:09 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by davetravels
... How do you feel about feet on the wall with clean socks?..
Better than if your feet were bare, however it is still classless - not dissimilar to picking your teeth, wiping your mouth on your sleeve or the George Costanza move of blowing your nose in a linen napkin.

Why not choose to emulate George Clooney as opposed to George Costanza. Can you picture Clooney with his feet on a wall?
Old Oct 2, 2010, 3:55 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TravellingMan
These days the laptop bags are the size of roller boards and on more than one occasion see people drop their roller board and laptop roller board in the bin without any consideration for others in the cabin. They are just acting like pigs.
Just the other day I sat in an exit row by a gentleman who put his roller board in the over head and his laptop under the seat in front of him. After about 20 seconds he got up and put his laptop in the overhead, then looked over with a very smug look on his face. Mind you there was enough room in the exit row that his feet didn't even come close to touching his laptop. Yet he sat there and watched as other passengers bags were being gate checked. Guess he felt pretty self important.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 4:12 pm

I clicked on this thread as I hope to be traveling F for the first time later this month and wanted to see if there are any bits of advice I might glean. So far I’ve learned: Do not, even though my feet are freshly pedicured, put my feet on the bulkhead, nor should I use my toes for operating the AV. Do not expect FA’s to attend to me. Do not purchase McD’s, KFC or other odiferous foods that might offend other pax. Do not wear shorts, though it may be okay to wear a short skirt. Do not put my carryon in any way other than handle first. Do not put anything other than my one rollerbag in the overhead bin. Do not act like a DYKWIA (whatever that is).
Old Oct 2, 2010, 4:31 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by cali-gal
...Do not wear shorts, though it may be okay to wear a short skirt...
Cute post cali-gal!

The wearing of shorts reference was directed towards the males - of which it would seem comprise the majority of FTers.

(As one female FTer to another, you should know sexism is alive and well over here - see this thread for reference:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...wardesses.html)

So no doubt your wearing shorts would not be frowned upon - as long as you looked good in them.

DYKWIA = Do you know who I am

Hope your first flight in first is the first of many!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.